Speed Up The Menu Interface.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by dudleybrooke, Aug 27, 2021.

1. dudleybrooke

dudleybrooke Member

It's like having teeth pulled.Even just getting to the Drive screen takes a couple of minutes. I have a 5800x RX 6800xt and 32Gb of ram, is this below minimum spec? This PC thrashes most games silly.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It depends on how many add-ons you have as to start up time
    As it starts it says "Checking Scenario Database" - more of them then the longer the start time.

3. dudleybrooke

dudleybrooke Member

I have a massive amount, I have been collecting them since the start of Train Simulator and Railworks. It shouldn't be beyond DTG's wit to fix this, it renders the game almost unusable. You can't even unload them. Steam just puts them back. Surely the staff has a workaround as they get all the DLC. Jamie and Matt have no problem loading the next route on the streams, I can assure you it would take around ten minutes to try to navigate through my menus.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Best thing to do would be to uninstall and reinstall DLC based on what you fancy using. Having hundreds of DLCs and freeware installed at once only causes the sim to run slow. Problem then being that if you want to install any freeware routes that have seemingly hundreds of requirements you're then back to step one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dudleybrooke

dudleybrooke Member

It must be hundreds with some freeware, payware from elsewhere, marketplace stuff etc etc. I currently have 111GB in the Railworks folder the vast majority being game data files, the file count in there is 235,000. Would I gain much putting all it on a SSD do you think?

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If there is something you don't want remove it.

Anything which was not purchased thru Steam can just be deleted
    If you have something that you got thru Steam - like US or European routes - simply use the Steam Client to remove them

Go in to the Steam Client > Library
    Click on Train Simulator 2021
    On the RH side part the way down the page you will see Manage My DLC
    DLC .jpg
    Then go thru the list and untick those routes/locos you don't want.
    DLC installed.jpg
    Steam will remove it from your computer
    If at a later date you wanted the DLC back you just re tick the box

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  7. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Not sure if an SSD would help. The main problem is the menu itself being just slow and clunky. Also be mindful when you uninstall anything as I've run into problems not being able to re-find a particular asset if downloading freeware routes. Sometimes creates too much hassle which is why I try to avoid overly complicated freeware routes these days.

8. dudleybrooke

dudleybrooke Member

Thanks for that explanation 749006 very helpful.

I was doubtful myself, I have X-Plane 11 on an SSD, and the result wasn't great, just a small improvement I found.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

My installation is at least 120GB and my PC is far below the minimum requirements for the game (5fps is fun) but it doesn't take me anywhere near as long to start the game. Are there any issues with your PC? Do you have a full hard disk drive? A lot of background processes?

10. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

As a comparison my machine takes 1:13:00 to get to the Drive / Profile /Build / Acadamy etc. screen and another 30 seconds or so to get to the Career / Standard Menu screen.
    PC is a Dell Optiplex 7010 mini tower.
    i5 3470CPU @ 3.2GHz per core, 24GB RAM, NVidia GTX1080Ti GPU
    Hardly the ultimate games machine and I have managed to cram 390GB of files into my Railworks folder.
    Hope that helps in some way.

• Like Like x 1
  11. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

/signed
    I have one of the best m.2 drives I could get two years ago, I shouldn't really have performance issues.

Loading the game
    For me it's about 30 seconds at about 400 DLC installed. As far as I understand the game checks for any missing or added scenario.
    (I gradually remove those I've finished, unfortunately with workshop cross-references it's a very slow process.)
    Clearing cache adds several minutes to this process. I suppose the database is updated one by one.
    Using windowed full screen it shows the logo, in full screen it's just black. I can't use windowed as it disables V-Sync and that leads to uneven frames, only the nVidia fps limit 60 makes it smooth.

Drive
    Takes 15-30 seconds. Tab switching is a bit faster but also slow. Fast if it's filtered. The QD tab loads quick (2nd click onwards it's default).
    During TS 2019, the first x64 it was actually faster, but then they added the favorites and workshop / official filter and it's back to a crawl.
    I suspect the grid is actually a myriad of individual text and line objects, and it has to be built.

Suggestions
    • I would be perfectly fine if the game wouldn't check scenarios at the start, but I'd have a button to do so.
    • I would be perfectly fine with a simple grid, I never use loco or route filtering, I don't use favorites or workshop. So the TS 2019 fast version would work for me. I do use text filter instead (which occasionally doesn't work and also shows items filtered out by default, for example Seebergbahn).
    • Heck, the Build menu's solution would also be fine. List my routes, then pick a scenario.
      I don't need the list of all my 4000 scenarios. I don't even need a database of it. I just pick a DLC and then play that.

• Like Like x 2
  12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It checks to see what scenarios have been added since the last time it the game was run
    If it did not do this you would install a new scenario and the game would not be able to see or run it