Help Required Train Sim World Hdr Setting

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by bones.n.hombre, Aug 30, 2021.

1. bones.n.hombre

bones.n.hombre Active Member

I have been playing train sim world on my new LG tv for about a month

Even prior to Rush Hour, the TV would sense something in the game and would display HDR in the top corner.

If I went to the Xbox Home Screen and back into the game, it would also briefly display HDR.

This happened in lots of other games as well (Control, Jedi academy, Doom eternal and Forza Horizon 4).

Earlier tonight I resumed game pass ultimate, and then proceeded to test playing TSW on my Mac, streaming from Microsoft servers, it worked very well picking up my saved game.

When I went back to playing on the TV, the game is not recognising HDR on the TV. When I switch to Forza Horizon 4, it does trigger the HDR message as usual.

This only started after playing on my Mac

Any suggestions?

2. russianchip

russianchip Guest

I've been playing on Xbox One X with an LG TV, the TV has never switched to HDR mode when loading as it does with Forza, Fifa etc.

Happy to find out if HDR can be set though!

3. bones.n.hombre

I’ve been playing on a series X, I can’t ever remember seeing the message on my One.

4. fl991r

fl991r Member

Just taking a shot in the dark, but any time I have any problem with a game on XBOX I just quit the game from the XBOX home screen and start it again. And if that doesn't solve it, then a restart of the console usually does. Based on the evidence you've provided, it sounds like the streaming version of the game doesn't have HDR enabled (whether because your Mac's display isn't HDR or if it is SDR for everyone who streams who knows) and the game/console/Microsoft remembered that setting.

Again, this is a pure guess. But "turn it off and turn it on again" is usually a good place to start if you haven't already tried it.

The game doesn't seem to have any visual settings at all on XBOX, but the console itself has HDR toggles in the settings app. If you haven't already done so it might be a good idea to go in there and see if anything was toggled off for any reason.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  5. bones.n.hombre

Some excellent suggestions thank you.

I have tried so far
    Quit game (not quick resume)
    Full shutdown of console
    Full power down console (button on front for 30 seconds, unplug 5 mins)
    Sign out/in of console
    Sign out/in of cloud gaming
    Power down Xbox, unplug network cable and restart (so no communication to xbox servers)
    Uninstall TSW and then install again

Next to try is reset Xbox to factory (this is according to the chat help), two ways to do it, one keeps all the games and one removes them all (so would have to redownload). So will try both of them.

I fear that the problem is with the cloud gaming and all efforts at my end are wasted.

the FAQ’s for cloud gaming state the HDR is not currently supported, I’m pretty sure it’s something to do with that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

TSW2 does not support HDR currently.

The XBox backwards compatibility features include a system called Auto-HDR for prior gen titles where as part of the emulation, it adds in a limited HDR implementation.
    This is only possible when running an older game in backwards compatibility mode, as it is the emulator which uses some of the additional unutilised power of a newer gen console when running a previous gen game to run a machine learning based system alongside the game which adds new peaks to the colours generated by the game itself. See also "FPS Boost", another setting in games' backwards compatibility options where it crowbars higher FPS into the games externally using the emulator. A dedicated new gen console release uses all that system clout itself already, and so there's not the additional overhead to make it work.

More newer generation software is designed with HDR modes built in. TSW2 happens unfortunately not to be one such game, and so when the dedicated Series X/S version replaced the backcompat XBox One version, it traded the Auto-HDR that had been using that additional hardware for the ability to run on PC High settings at 60fps instead.

7. bones.n.hombre

Thanks for your response.

Train Sim World was 100% utilising HDR on my TV (alltho it could have been automatic like you suggested) until I tried the cloud gaming function. When in an HDR game and press the XBOX button to see the menu it’s very obvious that the HDR is (was running) compared to other non HDR games.

HDR is also listed as supported on the Xbox.com list for TSW2

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list

However you have given me an idea, delete the game and all the addons, and install the normal version of TSW (not the X/S version). Play that and ensure HDR still works there (disconnect the network cable so it doesn’t ask to upgrade). Then after ensuring it works upgrade it all (and the addons). Something for tonight when I get home.

Thanks again.

8. Princess Entrapta

If you check the specific game page on the store, it lists the supported features and HDR is not among them.
    upload_2021-8-31_9-25-30.png
    If you look at something like Gears of War 5 or Hellblade in contrast, they have a clear "HDR10" listing among the features.

People who were playing it prior to the update noticed the day of the update that the backcompat auto-HDR went away the moment it was no longer running in backcompat mode, and there were threads about it. If HDR is turned on in your console settings, any game which supports it will run in HDR mode right away any time it loads, but for backcompat games like TSW2 pre-update, it needed to be enabled in the compatibility options screen for the game.

upload_2021-8-31_9-30-37.png

It should be possible to download the older version to an external drive and so long as you decline the update and/or play offline, it will run with auto-HDR as an option.

9. bones.n.hombre

Definitely going to try this later, (not the external drive part, decline update part etc) thanks PE

• Like Like x 1
  10. Princess Entrapta

I still have my XBox One with all my games installed on its external 10TB HD, and so it's super handy for testing stuff like this any time there's an update to something. I just unplug the drive from it, and plug it into my Series X while offline, instantly getting the backcompat version.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Princess Entrapta

As an aside, TSW2020 does not have a new gen version, so that might still have auto-HDR as an option on Series X/S, may be worth comparing it.

12. bones.n.hombre

Good idea, I purchased this but never played or downloaded it, I only wanted the preserved routes in the collectors (or whatever) edition.

13. Princess Entrapta

Ditto. Purchased and never installed, just bought it and immediately went to manage TSW2 and add all the preserved routes.

14. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

You had

TSW as am aware doesn't support HDR natively. But using a series X/S. It may use auto hdr if it's enabled in your settings.

15. Princess Entrapta

Auto HDR only exists for backwards compatible games, not for native 9th gen ones, as it makes use of the unused hardware of the ninth gen console when running a game in backcompat mode to inject it. So it would only work when using the XBox One version of the game, meaning you need to not accept the X/S update to be able to use it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

So you would need to run it off an external hard(not Seagate expansion card) drive with the newer console

17. Princess Entrapta

No, you can run backcompat games off the internal drive just fine. You just need to stop them from updating, eg, by keeping the console offline and disabling auto-updates.

• Like Like x 1