Armstrong Powerhouse Update Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reef, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

In relation to this thread > Armstrong Powerhouse Updates For Info Only! please respect Peter Hayes wishes and keep all discussions/feedback/queries pertaining to that thread here in this thread.

There is the potential for this thread to go very wrong so I ask that DTG staff keep an eye on it, if it goes south then please monitor and guide the offenders but please don't just strong arm lock it, because everyone loses out then.

Let's all be mature in our attitude and respectful not only to each other but also the content creator Armstrong Powerhouse, not everyone will agree with their update decisions but that's no excuse to be disrespectful or personally offensive.

State your displeasure sure, that's what discussions are all about the pro's and the cons, just keep the tone civil and respectful, that's all I ask.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

The 37 Trailing mode is a nice touch.

3. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Agreed, now got to figure out some usage for the feature.:D

4. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Reef
    Many thanks for your help and support!
    pH

5. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Welcome mate.

6. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I didn't realise it was a separate model for the trailing 37, I assumed it was going to be a loco number edit like the cold start, interesting, yet to play with it though.

7. Pookeyhead

Recreating the 2020 Staycation Express , which in one direction, is dragging a 37.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Agreed, though still not a fan of forcing updated scenarios if you want the feature, so I have to dummy install the first package somewhere to get the scenarios from the older version before installing the latest version. A minor annoyance and a good reason for the scenario package to be a separate package through the same purchase IMO.

9. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

10. Pookeyhead

Hmmm.. it doesn't give me much to go on in terms of checking for differences. It just says "Additional rain shower weather patterns added"... but the manuals are identical, so no idea what to check for. LOL... Oh well... updated anyway.

11. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Pookeyhead please delete your post in the other thread.

12. Pookeyhead

Done.. it was completely by accident.

Rain looks the same here, and the manuals appear to be identical. Have you managed to see any difference yet?

• Like Like x 1
  13. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

I think the change is the weather patterns rather than graphics, so it might be a hard one to spot.

14. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

Looks to be these ones:

upload_2021-7-14_8-41-9.png

• Like Like x 1
  15. pete

pete New Member

Light, moderate and heavy showers lasting for different durations, see pages 22 and 23 of the manual.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. Pookeyhead

Yep, found it. A note on the update saying See page 22 woudl have been helpful there.

17. Peter Hayes

PH
    New weather update today 15 july - probably detailed on the same pages in the manual.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Cyclone

I was thinking of installing the 37 today. Despite those updates today, the current update would render me unplayable scenarios due to the missing 455 in my inventory, so I'll live without until the 455 drops to a sale price. (We'll ignore, in my inventory, the missing 156 and 319, at least one of which is already planned for acquisition and maybe both - we'll see.) At least I downloaded the older build already.

The 150/2 update may be of interest. I haven't installed it yet and it's meant to be my first AP install next to the 37s. Frankly, I came upon missing items from the RSC pack (also the 66, but I can use the EWS too) and am looking at swapouts. So installing the 37 looks tempting now.

postpic.png
    Yes, those scenarios are for the Oban Line. All seem to have an old 37 or freight cars in it save maybe one, and that one has a 66. So I have my work cut out for me here fixing every one of those scenarios. LOL

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  19. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Anybody bothered doing all the adhesion updates yet, I haven't as yet, do you think it added anything to your current contents gameplay?

20. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Do the extra stock packs and branding packs need to be re-applied after an update?

21. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Only if it's specified in the highlighted field..

Image63.jpg

Branding packs never afaik, unless AP say to because they've changed or fixed something with the branding pack specifically.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. Peter Hayes

l239
    You only need to reinstall the extra stock if there is a tick in log pdf. Branding patch I am not sure I always check the dates of the BP and if it is the same as I have already installed - I don't bother. However, I have written to Richard for clarification.

extra stock.png

• Like Like x 1
  23. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

I have installed all the updates purely because I have a regime of keeping everything up to date.
    I have yet to try them all out but would imagine they can only be an improvement on the originals or why else would they bother updating.
    Am just going to try to thrash the 411, will see if there is any difference as the original was notorious for wheelspin in the wet.
    Will post my findings shortly.

24. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

If you'll notice I said "gameplay" not "realism" yes we all like them to sound real, look real and to a point feel and act real, but there are some features which could potentially be downright annoying, constantly battling with wheel slip or slide could (in my mind) fall into that category if it's OTT.

Take Peter (749006) for example, a former real life driver, absolutely hates the bugs on the AP windscreens, adds realism yes, but it annoys Peter (I however quite like it), so my question still stands even after your slightly flippant answer, does it ADD anything to your current contents gameplay?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. Cyclone

I literally downloaded everything, then the next day after I installed what I wanted to install, he updated everything. At this point it's not really worth it, particularly because some scenarios would be updated to versions that would have missing trains because of my hatred for his changing stock after purchase to try to upsell new things. So while I could update them, I would have to go through the trouble of backing up the other scenarios and then put the ones I can use back in place. Not worth it ATM. Around the holidays I may apply some updates for those, may consider applying others sooner if they don't use the 455, 379/387, or other new products after today.

That said, if I create my own archived scenarios folder to just replace all the files, that might work too. Easy scenario restoration if I keep a rogue content folder. I'll think about it when I go to use each train.

26. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Finally the penny drops! :D:D:D

27. Cyclone

I bought stuff back in April. You're way behind.

28. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

Has anybody else had the "Powerhouse" app identified as having a Trojan and being quarantined?
    I've never had any problems until I booted my PC today and find that it's been classified as a "Severe" threat!

Detected: Trojan:Win32/AgentTesla!ml
    Details: This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker
    Affected items: file: path\to\PowerhouseInstaller.exe

29. Pookeyhead

Bitdefender seems fine with it. What antivirus software are you using?

30. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

Windows defender

31. Pookeyhead

Probably a false positive.

32. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  33. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

It's to be expected, and not for the "conspiracy theory reasons" some will throw about (and undoubtedly what I'll get accused of by someone) but for the simple reason AP always strives for realism and if their (or anyone else's) product raises that bar toward a realistic scenario then of course they are going to include it.
    Have I bought the 185? No, and only because it falls outside my current playing catchment and certainly not for any other assumed or supposed "disliking of the product, maker or supplier" type reason (it looks good from what I've seen so far and am aware of) if it was a regular on the routes I play then yes, I'd get it in a heartbeat.
    Does it bother me AP have added it to their scenarios? No, I'm proficient enough with TSTools so what is or isn't included within a scenario is never going to be a problem for me.

34. Cyclone

I was not trying to goad a reply, just leaving a general statement. LOL

But for my part, I have concluded that, since any missing train simply causes its consist to not show up, that I am all right with it provided it does not get put into an integral spot in the scenario. For instance, don’t suddenly make our task to rescue a failed Class 185. That would be downright wrong. If it is just eye candy, and our scenario still involves rescuing a failed 150 or whatever was there already, then nothing is gained or lost with it. Heck, as you said, put whatever you want in there. I just dislike having to go to that extra effort. LOL

I am in fact studying the JHA scenarios right now, possibly nice additions to my London to Brighton videos as new areas are seen in them. Looking to edit and video those since DTG will probably not grant me the old 66 or the standalone 37. Easy to fix anyway.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  35. Pookeyhead

No problem with me. I EXPECT to see 185s in real life on those routes, so why would I complain? If you don't have the 185 yet, don't worry, just F2 past the start error and enjoy the scenarios without it.

36. Cyclone

Or in my case, don't update them, but this advice is helpful for anyone else. In my case, I'd presently have to bypass the 319 (unowned) and any EPs not yet installed, and I'm trying to play original versions before enhancing them anyway, so in most cases I'm not in a hurry to play the scenarios. Maybe the 185 will be on sale by then. Probably not. We'll see. The 455 surely will be around the holidays, though maybe not at 40% off.

I may actually just create a personal scenario archive for everything once installed, anyway, so I can just restore from backup as needed. Then if I buy something fairly new over time, I can just add the scenario with that version.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  37. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Remember to keep any discussion regarding the Armstrong Powerhouse updates thread here in this thread, many thanks :)

[​IMG]

This will probably stir up a few comments.

38. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I wonder what this means for the Steam version. It's a shame it's going tbh - is it really that bad?

39. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Can only assume the Steam version will come down too, from all accounts I've read on Facebook the Steam version still has the sound loop issue whereas the AP site version was patched..
    Image3.jpg

I've had this on my wishlist for a fair while, was hoping for an AP sale to get it, bit bummed I've now got to pay full price (£19.99) for it even more so because AP consider it an inferior product, they should really have an end of life sale price on it imo.

40. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

Must admit am quite surprised at this announcement, I personally think this unit is a pretty decent quality product, especially since the sound loop upgrade patch. Am just glad I already have both the Steam & AP versions already in my library.
    Be interesting to see if current owners will still be able to download the AP version from their site in the "My Downloads" section going forward.

41. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

They will, as with all previously withdrawn products.
    Image2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  42. Clumsy Pacer

I hope they do - I'll watch it and if they don't have it discounted I'll snap it up on the Saturday (they've got my FOMO money anyway ;) ).

43. Cyclone

Too bad they don't give it one more big sale to allow interested people to get it at a discount.

• Like Like x 2
  44. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

AP are working on a new Class 40 pack but I agree that the old one seems fine as an Enhancement, a lot of scenarios from the 60s,70s and 80s use the EP version so I think it's probably worth purchasing the outgoing pack, even if a new (hopefully totally new) pack is planned.

And yes, AP customer service is superb, if you're missing something from a pack that's discontinued just email them.

It's an exciting time for TS Eastern Region types like me.

45. Odd1ne

Odd1ne Active Member

i hope they give it a discount before it goes off i wanted to get this anyway. I am sure they did with the others which they discontined. Will have to keep an eye out for it.

46. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

I thought the steam version was published by RailRight, not AP. Plus isn't it a preserved version of a 40? I have the AP one and kinda wanting this one. I'm guessing not much different?

47. Cyclone

"Seasoned Challenger Approaching!"

As in, this is an excuse to make more reskins of it, among other things. So distancing themselves from RailRight seems like the strategy and means RailRight will still have the Steam option, but little else. Is it safe to say RailRight did the original 40 on Steam and AP just made enhancements in their pack? I know the 40s show up under RailRight, not AP.

48. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I don't....

I buckled earlier and bought it.. :|

49. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

Same here

50. Clumsy Pacer

The 40 that's being withdrawn I believe is the same as the one on Steam, with the exception that it's a more "general" pack, modelling them when they were in service, whereas the Steam edition specifically models preserved loco 40145.