Penzance To St. Austell And St. Ives.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nwp1, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

If it is a loco hauled. An 08 will be needed at Penzance Im guessing. Would be a big plus for playability.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Useful info, thank you

• Like Like x 1
  3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Ah okay, I wasn't aware of the detailed differences. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  4. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

Just part of my irregular spamming of the board with pictures from Truro station.

43 class heading to north to Exeter, passing an 800 heading to Penzance,
    The empty station from the crossing
    An interesting plaque for the "black bridge" that crosses the Truro Station- we wont be able to walk on it, but we will go underneath!
    The 150/2 heading into Truro from Falmouth- Will we have a rush hour style AI train doing this I wonder?

D

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  5. Skyz2020

Rivet have gone quite. Hopeful of a roadmap update tonight confirming HST as the recycled stock

• Like Like x 3
  6. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

How are we all feeling about Rivet? I don't have any of their routes, but reviews have been fairly scathing about quality, big fixes and updates. Have things improved at all? Worth even looking at this?

7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I'm feeling quite good about Rivet, although updates and communication seems to be their weak point. I'm very happy they challenged themselves making Arosa, which is a route I enjoy despite its flaws. Doing a narrow gauge Swiss mountainous route for their 2nd route they created for an engine they didn't develop myself, is a bold move I can appreciate. DTG just takes the easy way and develops the same old similar routes, while they should be more familiar with the engine than a 3rd party. It's almost a shame seeing Rivet developing another British route, considering we'll be seeing plenty of those from DTG in the future.

Although my opinion on Rivet may be influenced by the top quality products they've released for good old Train Simulator.

• Like Like x 3
  8. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Factor41
    I'd steer clear of Rivet Games.
    They still have to fix important bugs in the already released stuff 6 months after release. The timetable on Arosa is still useless. Actually, they've just added a new bug to the physics HERE

Moreover, they have a problem with admitting there are bugs at all. The initial relase of Arosa was undrivable, the train kept derailing on points and even while standing still, the dynamic brakes were useless. They kept saying it was ok, we just had to use the brakes in a completely unrealistic way for it to work, but that was how they do it IRL...
    Finally Matt fixed the issue and explained to us that the problem was in the physics of the buffers, which somehow were reversed. Rivet still claims there was nothing wrong, they say they hat to simplify the simulation for us...

I have no intention to buy this Penzace route, but if I were you, I'd approach it very carefully. Wait for the first bug reports on the forum after release before you decide if it's something you can leave with for a long time, possibly forever.

• Like Like x 5
  9. fabristunt

Definitely this. I have some Rivet products for TS Classic and the story is completely different. Don't let that skew your opinion, or you'll be in for a surprise...

10. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

How would one rate which bugs are important? I admit not acknownledging bugs is a bad move by Rivet, but lets not forget how long DTG takes to fix their bugs.

The timetable is impossible to keep to, but it doesn't prevent you doing a complete run in both directions.

If anyone added a new bug, it's DTG, not Rivet. Updating to a new UE version was DTGs idea.

Communication certainly is Rivets weak point for sure. Doesn't mean their products are as bad as some people claim them to be.

Waiting for reviews to come in is always the safer option.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

No surprises here. I own the Isle of Wight, Arosa and the BR204, and I'm quite satisfied with all of their products. Sure there are bugs, but nothing I'd consider 'game breaking' and certainly nothing bad enough to ruin my enjoyment of these add-ons.

Oh and it's not like DTG has a clean slate. I can't remember DTG ever really updating any of the content in Train Simulator, and there's plenty of bugs in their TS routes that have been reported for over a decade. And things didn't start too smooth for TSW either, and there's still some promises that DTG had to break. (Riesa-Dresden branch lines is a pretty recent example). And if I understand correctly, DTG has a team much bigger than Rivet has.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

They've gotten a bit better recently, WCML South being a big and recent example (although that was literally unplayable), and the signalling on Frankfurt - Koblenz is being at least looked at (one year after release, but it's going into the base pack for TS2022), based on what one of the devs said, but updates to content are few and far between and the cynic in me thinks they were (or are going to be) updated only because they were (or are going to be) part of the base package. It should be noted however, the TS1 team is really small (I think even in single figures), TSW has a much bigger team.

• Like Like x 1
  13. fabristunt

For me a bug is significant if it impacts my gameplay pleaseure, or, as Purno said it, "ruin my enjoiment of addons".
    The timetable is impossible to keep up with because it has been done wrong from the start. It is supposedle the real timetable, but since the real train is a revesible EMU, it does not need time to change ends at the end of the run. Rivet didn't note this, and screwed up the whole timetable.
    The thing is, the timetable being wrong is a bigger issue than it first seems: you will often find yourself waiting for the train coming in the other direction even if there are other passing loops between you and him. This is due to the timetable being messed up: you are late, thus not in the right place for the passing. The limited power of TSW'2 dispatcher can't handle that properly.
    It's not a matter of a minute or two, but you end up being 20-25 minutes late on each run. The fact that you can still reach the end of the line shouldn't be an excuse. It's not preventing the completion of the run, but it's still messing other things up.
    This has to be fixed. It should have been spotted a long time before release, but it's still here. IOW also had problems with the timetable, so it looks like Rivet isn't learning from its mistakes.

I know it probably was DTG that caused the new bug, but still Arosa is a product by Rivet, they should have checked.

Everybody says Rivet isn't good at communicating, but the situation isn't changing. What are we supposed to do? Keep on buying bug-ridden products and excusing them because communication isn't their strong suit? Well, TSW DLCs aren't either.

I never said DTG has a clean slate. It's far from that, and judging by the latest moves on their part, this are getting worse. He just asked about Rivet. Taking this into consideration, the fact that DTG ended up fixing Rivet's bugs says a lot.
    Rivet has a smaller team, but way less content to take care of!

Also, the 204 still has sound problems...

• Like Like x 4
  14. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

And isn't the throttle still knackered?

• Like Like x 2
  15. dave from Cornwall

Just a 43 powering around the 55mph bend at the old Chacewater station on its way to Truro

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  16. dave from Cornwall

Just a few more spam like photos from Truro station.

As there was signal problems on the Falmouth line 150/2 was parked up on the in the siding.

A 158 was heading to Plymouth

And a 43 heading was to PZ,

Plus a 150/2 heading to Falmouth.

Have fun.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  17. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

How long has it been since this route was announced? It's been several months now. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to see some early screenshots, even if they are still in development. I would at least like to know what the second loco will be, maybe on the next roadmap?

I'm not impatient, I hope Rivet take as much time as they need. I'd just like to get some updates.

• Like Like x 3
  18. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

To be fair, it was in planning for quite some time so I doubt there is much to look at, I’d imagine they’re not onto scenery as yet.

We don’t even have the confirmation of rolling stock yet.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. Clumsy Pacer

It was announced in April but only entered production last month. I imagine it's just some track and very basic scenery right now.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I don't think we'll hear anything about it before their loco DLC for the Bakerloo line. After that release for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  21. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I’ve heard rumours they’re sorting out the iow and arosa first. Once they are done they are cracking on with this c2025 :D

• Like Like x 3
  22. james64

Ah right. In my head it had been in production for longer. Fair enough.

23. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

No, I think the pig that might fly is more likely to be over Battersea Power Station :)

• Like Like x 3
  24. chieflongshin

If a tome is missing any lip service, denial of issues, “we’re working on it” or please be patient spiel pop to their forums. It’s laughable

• Like Like x 1
  25. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

That's a terrible excuse! In no world are they actually fixing Arosa and The Isle Of Wight! :D

26. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Rivets favourite word: “patience”

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  27. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Are we thinking this may have turned to vapourware?

28. Clumsy Pacer

• Like Like x 1
  29. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Was surprised to see this article today. The route has clearly been in development for some time. I have to say from the screenshots shared, it looks pretty nice. Rivet must get the timetable right though and they need to make sure there are no repeat issues from other routes or it’ll not be added to my collection.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Clumsy Pacer

I've just noticed the screenshots are now marked as R5, not R6, which is odd if it's early 90s but I don't really consider that to be a problem.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  31. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

The lack of any form of long distance stock is questionable imo...

• Like Like x 2
  32. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

So on the freight side of the route, it would have not only the Class 37/5 (reused from TVL, not surprising) but also ballast wagons (a Seacow and a Turbot) to be included as well. Now, I don't know much freight operations on this line except for China Clay on the one branch that's not gonna be included. But my question is this, why the ballast wagons? Am I missing something here that fits it on this part of the route or what?

33. Clumsy Pacer

Probably trying to simulate engineering runs.

34. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Probably indeed. It just feels a little off that you're just gonna do a ballast train up and down the line without doing track work. And I thought Rivet would do something at Burngullow, but I guess from the looks of it. Without China Clay, it may gonna end up either having empty sidings or static ballast wagons to fill it up with now.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Clumsy Pacer

Hopefully they don't do with this what they did with Arosa, and limit the freight exclusively to scenarios

• Like Like x 2
  36. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t think so due to the route including a freight loco

37. chieflongshin

This looks odd from the above work in progress….

834963D9-DD08-4DBB-8A05-4EC64BF19ED7.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  38. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

Yep, maybe simulating some big floods?
    Also your on post 999!

39. chieflongshin

40. Warspite

Warspite Well-Known Member

In the early 1990s, the 37/5s were rarely seen west of Burngullow (2 miles west of St Austell). If the 37/5 is the 'diesel electric' in the route, does this mean we are not going to get an HST in the correct livery and with the correct Valenta power unit?

Much as I'm pleased to see a Cornish 37/5, we already know that none of the clay branches are included (nor any of the clay wagons) so what is the point of the 37/5 rather than an HST? And, what will represent the Paddington-Penzance expresses?

• Like Like x 4
  41. dave from Cornwall

They will be trying to recreate the terraced houses in side St Ives?

I was laughing more at the generic buildings that have put along the harbour. Its much more tumbly down that that, but hey, its a train sim, not world sim!

• Like Like x 1
  42. mr.aln663

mr.aln663 Member

I have not followed the topic so I apologise if I can ask a question that has already been asked. But why won't they include the HST in this line? Wouldn't a few changes be enough to make it compatible with the route? I don't know English railways very well, but as I understand the old hst had a different engine than the more modern gwr hst, but wouldn't it be enough to change the sounds and at most modify the physics of the train?

• Like Like x 1
  43. james64

Very disappointed there's no HST. Most will probably disagree, but I'd prefer an inaccurate MTU reskin to none at all.

• Like Like x 8
  44. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Agree re the HST, shocking omission. Given the resources Rivet and DTG can bring to bear, sounds aside, how many man hours would a reskin and slightly different interiors for the coaches take?

• Like Like x 5
  45. Clumsy Pacer

They look very different once you notice the details.
    Here's how they were in the 1990s:
    [​IMG]
    Here's how they are now:
    [​IMG]
    Bar the headlights, they're fairly similar, but inside is where the changes are:
    GWR cab:
    [​IMG]
    90s Cab (yes, the driver is smoking):
    upload_2021-9-30_8-56-2.png
    It'd need to be completely remodelled, along with the physics, sounds and interior of the mk3 coaches. It's quite a bit of work.
    I think they took the opportunity to include freight and a 37 already in the game rather than do a load of work for a HST - it would be the equivelent of building a new train from scratch - all that could be carried over is most of the external art.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  46. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Would still have liked an HST as I'm waiting for an official model that doesn't have the GWR stuck on the side so it can be repainted. At this point a HST loco pack with the BR blue/IC Swallow both included would sell very well.

• Like Like x 4
  47. Skyz2020

Yes very much agree

• Like Like x 2
  48. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

From a sellers perspective, making a Valenta HST from scratch, giving it 2 liveries and selling as its own add on. Would make sense.

• Like Like x 4
  49. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

The Class 37 could have layered on from TVL, now we have two versions of the same loco in (presumably) the same livery. This route is synonymous with the HST so not including it with the base route is a bit disappointing, Intercity HST services being far more common than freight.

I understand there's a lot of modification required to make the HST it accurate for the time period, but I have mixed feelings if one appears as a loco DLC later on, especially because it seems like such an important item to include as default. And I still feel like extending to Falmouth would have been a better option than St Austell, all this making the DLC feel a bit mish-mash.

The Class 150 looks great however, and I hope there's plans for a Class 153 DLC down the line.

• Like Like x 2
  50. dave from Cornwall

The 37 will be doing a small run from Burngullow to St Austell...as they are not doing the china clay branch.