Locomotive Sounds

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by say-tsw066, Sep 11, 2021.

1. say-tsw066

say-tsw066 New Member

Hello, why are there no road sounds in the locomotives for a long time, the new routes have the same problem, does anyone know if this is just me?

• Like Like x 4
  2. dr4w4t

dr4w4t Member

No it's not just you. I miss this too. The sound of steel wheels going over a junction or a bad track section is the first thing that would come to my mind when i think about trains. Some locos got it others have nothing. One example is the Bosten Sprinter CTC-3 Cab Car. Of cause there are no motor sounds but no track rumble or wheel noise inside the cab? Or the BR 146 on the Dresden - Riesa route, no wheel noise at all when you cross a junction. Common man, there is no train which is so isolated that you can't hear wheel noise.

• Like Like x 9
  3. 5cip

5cip Active Member

maybe it has something to do with surround sound ? i remember in the past i changed my speakers to stereo and then i could hear anything..but actually i play with surround again maybe i change it back for the game

4. say-tsw066

say-tsw066 New Member

Thanks for the reply I hope this issue is fixed it makes me miserable important for realism.

• Like Like x 2
  5. involvedmass

involvedmass Member

Just saw this thread now after just making one about the cab car on Dresden.
    HOW is this not caught in testing? I assume the person testing the train notices. Do they not report or fix it because of tight deadlines? But even then this issue has existed for years with just the normal train cars as well :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  6. dr4w4t

dr4w4t Member

I have tested the VVO Dosto cab car in Dresden, but on my PS5 it sounds okay like the others dostos. Your case sounds like the Rapid Transit 1442 Talent 2, which is a mixing issue as DTG said and should be fixed asap not not dragged any further.

7. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

I certainly hope so, I'm hoping for a drastic sound upgrade at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

There is though? Sure it's a bit quiet, but there definitely are running sounds coming from it.

As mentioned above, it might be just that you're not playing with volume high enough or good speakers/headset.

9. martschuffing

It is not realistic to do that, bogie run sounds were more realistic in TSW 2020.

• Like Like x 2
  10. dr4w4t

dr4w4t Member

Thanks for the tip but headset and speakers are fine here. Pump up the volume to hear some running sounds is absurd.
    Put the whipers on additionally and you know what i mean. The same goes with the "open all the windows to hear the train" solution. No this is not a solution to fiddle with the volume knob and the windows every time. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. 5cip

5cip Active Member

Maybe we could solve this issue with an equalizer for windows?? Where we can see all the sound channels to rise up the volume for engine sounds or environment ?

• Like Like x 1
  12. dr4w4t

dr4w4t Member

It would be the best DTG put some dozen volume sliders in the game and i mix the s**t myself to my liking. :D

13. dr4w4t

dr4w4t Member

:)

14. 5cip

5cip Active Member

i know only this program
    Equalizer APO
    maybe it could help ?

15. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I agree, I was just pointing out that the sound are there.

Very often the sounds are so quite in TSW that you can't even notice them. For example on LIRR the level crossing gates are pretty much completely silent. But if you stand right on them, you can just about hear them. So the "ding-ding" sounds are there, but for some reason they are ridiculously quiet.

16. dr4w4t

dr4w4t Member

I appreciate your try to help, but honestly i don't think an eq would solve this and it is not in my interest to master some screwed up game audio.
    And to make it clear not all locos are bad mixed. Scotrails 314 or SEHS 465 for example i find enjoyable sound wise.

17. dr4w4t

dr4w4t Member

Yeah, you are right. I also think the sounds are there, but not balanced right so it appears they are not present. It all comes down to audio mixing.
    In TSW1 or TSW2020 train audio was not state of the art, but it was consistent and you could hear everything even with windows closed. I hope DTG makes sound a priority, because it's boring to cruise with a silent spaceship over the rails.

• Like Like x 2
  18. QNS Chris

QNS Chris Well-Known Member

The sounds in TSW2 are awful, and are a TOTAL IMMERSION KILLER when I'm playing any route. TSW1 had audio that was far and away better than TSW2 - you could hear the acceleration / deceleration, track joint sounds, flange squealing, passing trains, and topping it off, there was tunnel noise (which exists in some rare locations in TSW2, but is wildly inconsistent).

This NEEDS to be fixed, especially on the newer routes like Boston or Brighton (I'm looking at you, MBTA cab car and Class 387). Additionally, adding noise when going over or under bridges, traveling on viaducts entering/driving through/exiting tunnels (again, present in TSW1, absent in TSW2), and traveling within noise barriers (walls) would add a tremendous amount of quality and contributed greatly to the immersion.

I realize this issue keeps popping up and that a lot of these comments are redundant - all the more reason to fix the audio ASAP.

• Like Like x 7
  19. martschuffing

With you 100% there QNS Chris!

20. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

standingovation.gif

• Like Like x 3