How To Know Which Version Loco?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by JayJay3692, Sep 10, 2021.

1. JayJay3692

JayJay3692 New Member

I was recently playing the new Riesa - Dresden route, and flicking through the locos, and I seen that on a few of the locos you can press square on the PlayStation to choose a livery/version etc. and I was wondering how are you to know which version of the loco you are using, such as using the newest version of the locos made specifically for the new route and not an older version of the same loco, this is increasingly difficult to decipher since the new loco screen has the trains more or less head on so unable to see any differing signage etc.

• Like Like x 3
  2. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

You have to select one and remember the position in the UI (on mine the new DB BR 143 is the second one). Look out for differences in the cab like the functional brake key on the new DB BR 143 and PIS controls can be interacted with. The labels are all the same in the menu.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

This is becoming a trying issue as the number of locos increase.

Adding an appropriate name label to the picture of each loco saying what route it is from would help.

Renaming livery selection to something more appropriate would also help. Under this 'livery' option hide liveries, new loco versions and also different consist arrangements such as single or double class 20s or reversed HST.

• Like Like x 9
  4. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

The ones with ‘DB’ in the name are the new models.

5. JayJay3692

JayJay3692 New Member

On mine the names seem identical, which is why I posted this thread :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Kappi701

Kappi701 Active Member

It's the 143 which has two versions and none of them with a DB in the name. The 146 for example has a DB in the name and other front lighting for example, the DoSto-Cabcar also.

7. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I think the remastered version is default only for BRD. Other routes - you have to change livery if you want to use the improved one.
    Same story for other trains. BR o7

8. Kappi701

Kappi701 Active Member

It seems not to be the default. I started journey mode and in chapter 1, after the introduction to the cabcar there is a route from Dresden to Riesa with 143 (doesn't make much sense, the 143-introduction is in chapter 3...) but I couldn't work the FIS of the train so I think it was the old model. IIrc the new model should have a usable FIS?

• Like Like x 1
  9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I mean appearing as the one visible in the menu by default.
    In Journey, it happens to end with other trains :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

In the case of cars with a cabin, some have first class and others do not, and the only thing really different is the name, you have to look at which route they belong to in the scenes

11. Doyden

Doyden Active Member

I'm not sure the default 143 is the new one. I picked the 143 last night for a timetable service and noticed there the brake key wasn't working. Also, weirdly the main power control was labelled AFB.

Earlier I tried the one on the right by pressing square and moving the selection. This one at least has the power control labelled Speed Selector as per the 143 used in the introduction.

I can only echo the OP that there really needs to be more identification of which locos are available, and where they originate. I wanted to drive the newer 143 with the updated physics and sound but it would appear that I somehow ended up in an old one.

• Like Like x 2
  12. breblimator

breblimator Guest

For me it works like that so far: for each route, the default is the locomotive that premiered with that route. In the case of BRD - the new BR 143. Maybe I'm just lucky :)
    In my opinion, old versions 143 146 and 185.5 should be removed from the game \o/ BR o7

• Like Like x 6
  13. Doyden

Doyden Active Member

I have to agree. I'm assuming there must be a technical reason why the old ones remain but if there is a new and improved version, then that is the one I'm always going to want to drive. If it has better sound and physics, why would I choose the old one over that? It's just going to (and has) cause confusion.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

This exactly. I understand that the older locos are tied to the older routes and therefore have to be in the game in case a player doesn't have the newer option, and in some cases, like the Dostos, there are specific paint jobs for specific regions, but where the game recognises that there's more than one option of a loco available, ie wherever the Choose Livery option appears, why not have a simple tick box to enable or disable the locos, with a simple bit of logic that prevents you from hitting zero versions of any given model. That way you can cut the ones you don't want from the game and, presumably, the new 146.2 and 143 will sub quite happily back into the MSBs and RSNs of the world.

The game could absolutely do with more control for player choice, including a switch on custom liveries to control the frequency of their appearance in the game, even something as simple as "Never / Once / Many" so you can turn off test liveries that you don't want showing up on AI units, create special named/numbered liveries that will never appear on two trains at once, or just add it to the mix in the normal random ratio.

• Like Like x 2
  15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

We have a situation here where the old versions of the included locos will all substitute for the new versions but different locos like the 155 cannot be selected to drive or substitute on AI trains. It is probably this exact issue of duplicate trains that is stopping the selection of a variety of different trains. The correct Dosto cab car is the last of four options (probably five if you have the Hamburg route) on the livery selection screen and the default 143 is the wrong one. Something needs to be done to stop the duplicates appearing, as the correct ones are not appearing as default, and the variety of trains that are useable is limited because of the number of unique vehicle models having each duplicate version causes.

• Like Like x 5
  16. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

Yes, they have 2 locos DB BR 143. And the ligths, one have rigt and left, and the other onli one buton to put red or wite.

17. Gtasandman

Gtasandman Active Member

Should simply add the route prefix to each of the newer trains instead of having them all overlap and confuse everyone.

• Like Like x 1