Two New American Routes!!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by haninl0610, Sep 7, 2021.

1. haninl0610

haninl0610 Active Member

According to the new roadmap, there are two new American routes coming to TSW2:
    [Route Add-On] NDD-R7 04 Sherman Hill with SD70ACe

and...

NDD-R7 03 Horseshoe Curve: Altoona - Johnstown & South Fork with ES44AC & GP38-2 - Developed by Skyhook Games!

I am so excited for the two routes!

What are your thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  2. dcnine#5410

dcnine#5410 Well-Known Member

I’m more excited for Horseshoe Curve than I am for Sherman Hill personally, but I’m really happy that both routes come with new locos.

• Like Like x 1
  3. porawit

porawit Member

very nice to see Union Pacific GTELs In Sherman hill with hope

Attached Files:

4. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I fan Horseshoe on a regular basis, so this is the first route being release to TSW2 that I actually know. The South Fork branch off the main line gives a lot of traffic east of the hill. NS also still uses manned helper between Altoona and Johnstown, so lets see how they do this.

• Like Like x 2
  5. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

i was shocked tbh, Nice to see sherman hill is getting its own Loco, the SD70ACE, i just hope what ever the second locomotive they include is Unique, maybe a GP60, i am more Excited for Horseshoe Curve, it was one of the first routes i played in TCS, And to be able to see NS Action is pretty great and both routes bring there own DLC Possiblites

6. porawit

porawit Member

Maybe it will be Union Pacific GTELs

Attached Files:

7. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

i don't really care as i only use UK routes but i'm happy for the US fans

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. haninl0610

haninl0610 Active Member

Hopefully the sounds won't be re-used for the new locos.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I love both Sherman Hill and the Horseshoe curve in TS. So looking forward to them. I hope they do not cut to much in the route length.

Horseshoe curve is great fro the huge yards and it really needs a lot of shunting as well as main line traffic. Sherman Hill looks dull at first, but I love the subtle landscape elements. Hopefully DTG will ask Skyhook for advice and avoid flying rocks ...

10. USRailFan007

USRailFan007 Well-Known Member

Pretty excited for the routes and the choice locos, respectively. Only thing that worries me is this ^^ tbh. Once again, I am hoping that the DTG and Skyhook overlords don't cut too many corners, by re-using the vacuum cleaner sounds from the SPG AC44CW. Let alone, the default SPG horn. It's more than about time, that they source sounds like they did in RH Boston Sprinter, for these upcoming DLCs. Assuming, they can't get access to them still, due to the pandemic.

11. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Great news for those who love freight, but I would have preferred a diesel Amtrak route

12. derailed#9363

derailed#9363 Member

To be perfectly honest, I would of perfered Amercian passenger routes instead

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  13. derailed#9363

derailed#9363 Member

You know what I'm not impressed at all with those Freight routes, we need more Amercian passenger routes

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sharon E

A note to Sky Hook on doing locomotives. If this is set in the present day, you need to do the AC44C6M, the rebuild of the CW44-9W from DC to AC power. These are now the primary helper locomotives on the hill between Altoona and Johnstown.

15. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Since DTG is apparently partnering with Ryan from theAudioShack (he did the sounds for the MBTA F40), I do have some hope that he might work with both DTG and Skyhook for the new locos.

• Like Like x 2
  16. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

If they bring the whole sherman hill route, that's 66 miles I think. Wouldn't that make it the longest route built for TSW?

17. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's nice to see Norfolk Southern finally debut in TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  18. cyrill.kroonstuiver

cyrill.kroonstuiver Well-Known Member

I must confess myself slightly disappointed with the new Roadmap additions at is feels like basically Sand Patch Grade 2.0 and Cane Creek 2.0 with so many new routes that could've been done as well. And so short after Cane Creek 1.0 too.
    Of course the second one, Horseshoe Curve, isn't made by DTG, so I can't fault them for that, but that's not just really similar to Sand Patch Grade, it's literally 30 miles from Rockwood to Johnstown, a few towns away, less than one route inbetween.

I think it's really high time DTG starts looking abroad for new routes, but more than anything, even if they were set on something American, there were better kinds of options in my opinion. In terms of American trains, I've been really looking forward to something kind of heritage, like the Northern F7 EMD Empire Builder kinds of trains.
    Passenger coaches pulled by those heavy freight locomotives through the mountains kind of things. That'd be a different experience.
    [​IMG]
    Something like this, although this is of course model scale.

But more than anything I'm waiting anxiously to finally something foreign, not American, British or German. Mostly something Japanese or Dutch, though at this point, anything foreign really.
    Especially my own suggestion, but that's logical.
    So in conclusion, am kind of disappointed, especially because we just got Cane Creek, and this feels like it's too soon too similar. But that's just my opinion on things.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Not to mention the fact that track 3, the Harriman Cutoff, doesn't parallel track 1 and two on either side of the summit.

I think one thing that will help Dovetail is that there isn't that many buildings or trees in the middle of Wyoming.

20. Sharon E

For Horseshoe, do hope that the Station Inn at Cresson will be modeled correctly so we can recognize it.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

There isn't that many of anything in the middle of Wyoming :D

But on a more serious note I hope (and kind of expect) track 3 to be included. It was in the TSxxxx version IIRC and we would get a lot more content from the route.

22. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I am very excited for Horseshoe Curve! I have been there a lot and ridden through it several times.

• Like Like x 4
  23. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Sherman Hill is nothing like Cane Creek, and I think it is very unfair to consider them alike at all. Horseshoe Curve, on the other hand, I agree is too similar to SPG for me to care regardless of its infamy to railfans. I have no personal connection or interest.

Cheers

24. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Very interesting route choices (2x freight, 2x American), especially considering freight routes generally sell worse than passenger routes and that we already have two vaguely similar routes in the game (SPG, Cane Creek). To be fair, these probably won’t be too difficult to make since a lot of the assets were already created for the aforementioned routes. I’m happy for the freight fans though, and I’m sure DTG have many surprises up their sleeves regarding passenger routes!

25. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

Personally I don’t drive on USA or UK routes often, but I’m happy for the ones who like the US routes since US had way less add ons then UK and germany the last time; and I have got the feeling that with the next roadmap we will get the new german routes :D

26. breblimator

breblimator Guest

US freight DLCs are about different playstyle.

Listening to the air propagation when releasing a long train.
    Listening to the slack action and all these steel moanings.
    Watching the train to very slowly gain speed.

BRD gained some tweaks to the brakes physics what is amazing for me.

I love to see some new mechanics introduced with both upcoming US routes \o/

Longer / heavier trains?
    Coupler physics?
    Defect detectors?
    Air bleeding, kicking cars, etc.

I am a dreamer :(

• Like Like x 3
  27. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

All of those are excellent choices and by the way these locomotives can be the basis for CSX SD70ACE 4800s 8900s Tier 4 and ES44AC 700s-3800s the recent batch are tier 4s. Perfect for Sand Patch Grade in a 2021 timetable. One thing is for sure this will open the way for American and Canadian Freight railroads CN CP UP CSX Norfolk Southern getting SD70ACE ES44AC AC4400CW via reskin of the Base Model.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Horse Shoe has a number of sidings along the route. I think the variety is much greater that with SPG, having two huge yards at each end. It can be great and there is room for some passenger services as well. Altoona yard has lots of opportunity for switching. I hope some switchers will be there as well, the SW1000 /1200 would be nice. We will see.

• Like Like x 1
  29. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

The horseshoe line is too short, it should be Pittsburgh to Altoona

30. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

If you are talking of substitution, the obvious one might be the SD70ACE on Cane Creek. And if you want defect detectors, maybe Searchlight Simulations can be persuaded to port their device to TSW2 (but that would probably need customization of the locos)

31. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

It is also triple track throughout the whole length, so it could be given a very busy timetable, easily 100 mainline runs, some South Fork action and a bunch of shunts, helper moves etc. Maybe even some shunting of locos in the Juniata Shops. If care is given to it, 200 services could easily be done.
    Well, there's supposed to be the South Fork too in it, so that can add a significant mileage. As the mainline won't be extremely long, the services there can be about an hour and probably more people will be on board.

• Like Like x 1
  32. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I have both lines in TS, but found I never played them much and my recent experience of boredom with Cane Creek makes me very wary of what gameplay they will provide..
    Happy to be proven wrong and I'll wait the preview streams with interest.

Would honestly much rather a mixed freight and passenger line based in Italy.
    (There was a great enthusiast created one in TS.)

• Like Like x 2
  33. Sharon E

There is also the engine servicing facility at Cresson which handles the helper units so light locomotive runs to there should be in the mix.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

35. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  36. franco0707

franco0707 New Member

I enjoy seeing more American content, but I wish freight routes were more involved. Driving freight trains gets kind of boring, so it would be nice if they introduced more work play, kind of like the coal gameplay in the first game.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I've never really understood the appeal of the Horseshoe Curve. I've seen some videos of the Train Simulator route and it was all so unimpressing that I've never bought the route, despite my fairly big collection of TS content. Now the Horseshoe Curve for Train Simulator is a fairly old DLC, so perhaps the new TSW route does actually look much more interesting.

As for Sherman Hill, I've driven the route a few times in Train Simulator, it's not that special, but not bad either. I remember a fairly open landscape with few vegetation, I guess that does make it more interesting that routes like Sand Patch Grade and Clinchfield, which are mostly trees, trees, trees and even more trees.

• Like Like x 1
  38. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Check out some real life videos of Horseshoe Curve. You'll see why...

39. mephistau

mephistau New Member

Bravo!

It's a sure buy for me.

• Like Like x 1
  40. Reventloff

Reventloff Well-Known Member

Oh, thats really great news, very excited for both routes. MOAR freight routes, pls!
    Yeah, Horseshoe Curve looks most interesting of two, but lets see what will be served in the final product ))

41. Sharon E

Well since the Cresson engine house was shut down this July, the DLC maybe set earlier which would leave it still active. We will see once the previews are shown.

• Like Like x 1
  42. pugilist3

pugilist3 Active Member

All I run is freight, so I am really looking forward to both of these routes! Am also hoping for Tehachapi Pass in the future.

43. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

There's a daily Amtrak each way on Horseshoe Curve, but I doubt it will be represented in the gameplay. You can watch the Curve live on YouTube (Virtual Railfan).

44. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

As I mentioned on the other thread, I would have preferred the Wasatch Grade and some older UP/SP locos. Can't say the SD70ACe sparks my interest much.

Horseshoe Curve is a favorite of mine, but yet another GP38-2?? Again I would have liked an older version with the Pennsy F7 and even a Baldwin or two. In my dreams, of course.

Vintage routes, freight especially, are so much more interesting.

Of course, when steam comes along.........

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  45. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I have run both of these routes a lot in TS Classic, would have liked to see Horseshoe curve in the early diesel era instead of modern, but look forward to it all the same. Sherman Hill is another staple and will be a welcome addition to TSW2

46. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I'm in favor of any route anywhere that includes switching activities.

47. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

I don't have high hopes for either of the 2 upcoming routes.

For Sherman hill, I'm definitely welcoming a UP operated mainline in an environment we haven't seen before. It's a busy line with higher speeds which will make the experience different from SPG. But I'm still struggling to see how they'll manage to make this line feel interesting or appealing. It's literally in the middle of nowhere with the plainest possible scenery and with only 1 loco included it will be difficult to do anything other than just A to B runs and to get much variety. If they wanted to make this route truly impressive, then they should have set it in the past, as that is what Sherman hill is famous for: turbines and large steam engines. I really hope this line turns out great but I don't have much hope.
    And as for Horseshoe curve on the Pittsburgh line: while it looks like an interesting line, it's going to be pretty much just like SPG, but worse. It will have less stock and fewer features. It's even in the same area so the environment and scenery is the same, with very similar speed limits. I'm not sure why I'd buy this at all when I can just play SPG, but maybe they can change my mind.
    At least it's great to see some new locos showing up in TSW, that's a rare sight these days :D

• Like Like x 2
  48. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

As much as the worry is definitely justified, I have some hope for both. Both are triple-track throughout, so a good timetable can make them busy, both have major shunting hubs (Chayenne, Altoona), there are industries along the way on both, Horseshoe even has a big branchline included. The rolling stock definitely needs some thought. Both routes definitely need as many locos as possible (look how Dresden benefits from using as much as possible), Sherman Hill HAS TO use all UP locos available to get really interesting and Horseshoe probably needs something between the two offered - an Admiral Cab SD40 or a return of Dash-8.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, that's what concerns me. The TS version of Sherman Hill initially came with four (count them, 4) locos. We currently are expecting just one for the TSW version.

The TS version of HSC is an excellent route, though it always seems a little too quiet for me with just 2 locos and being triple and quad tracked throughout. The creativity of the scenarios make it interesting and fun to play. Skyhook's version will also have just 2 locos (too modern for my taste), so we will wait to see if they can make it busy.

Both routes are probably many months away anyway, so my excitement for the new American content is somewhat muted at this point.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  50. JellyScrub

JellyScrub Active Member

I'm hoping additional locos get announced later down the track. Otherwise lots of layering.