We Need A Shift In Uk Routes Following Dresden.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Sep 12, 2021.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Dresden by far to me is hands down the best, variety ridden route I have seen, it’s superb what has been done with this. I think part of the success is we have steadily amassed a selection of routes of a similar time period and applicable routes. I’m guessing this enabled layering of the services.

We need to see this come to Uk now however due to routes being all over the shop nothing really layers. I’m guessing London would be the natural hub for this.

• We have bakerloo
    • We’re getting Cornwall from west
    • We have BML coming up from the South and East coast way.
    • We also have SEHS coming from the East.

In my mind if ECML or WCML is running 50-70 miles north and similar time scale there could be similar layering starting for uk routes.

It’s not on the roadmap but one day I hope it is.

I’d love to see a UK equivalent of Dresden with all the layers

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 14
  2. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Dresden is an amazing route - definitely one of DTG's best efforts yet! :)

I guess the reason they can pull off these layers so well with German content is down to how DB run across the network over there in real life. Plus DTG have mentioned previously that the player base seem to lean more towards modern German traction hence why all German releases have been in matching eras. It's a bit trickier with UK content since we're all pretty spread out when it comes to interests in time periods - DTG have spread content out to cover all the bases. I enjoy all of it generally but have a preference that leans to the historic stuff.

After Brighton Commuter comes out, I'm really hoping that we don't see anymore releases in the south for a while. There's plenty of other areas that need some time in the spotlight like the Midlands, Liverpool, Wales, etc.

I'm also hoping DTG don't touch WCML/ECML just yet - not until they at least start pulling off 100 mile routes in TSW. I'd rather those lines be massively, long 100 mile runs rather than several 30ish mile routes like GWE. As great as GWE is, I always find the HST runs are over way too quickly - a similar case could be made with ICE runs on German routes too.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The basis problem, as SonicScott91 says, is the multiplicity of TOCs and rolling stock in the UK. DB runs Dostos in red Regio paint just about everywhere, but in Britain other than the 66 for freight there isn't a train or loco with that sort of ubiquity. You can't plunk a Scotrail 314 down on the East Coastway!

• Like Like x 5
  4. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I think there is a fair chance the UK will slowly start moving north;

The "leaked" list of files include, noticeably, unknown-1.png
    • Thameslink
    • Great Northern
    • MerseyRail
    • Grand Central
    • Cross Country
    • Chiltern Railways
    • Avanti West Coast
    In DTG's recent "About us 2021" YouTube video, they include Great Northern under the partners they work with.

Perhaps ECMLS is next?

But we do need to move into Northern England and Expand the Scottish Network as well.

Scotland has the large benefit of having one operator (excluding intercity operators), Layering is (mostly) possible.

The very reason I always have said no to a Cathcart DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Once we get one of the principle intercity TOC’s in the game we should see busier UK routes coming out, stuff like TPE, WMT, Avanti, LNER and then the more local lines should see at least those running alongside. We have GWE and the HST, soon we will have a 150 from them too so maybe if they focused on GWE destinations with another TOC we could get something going.

Alternatively there’s always the BR era, we have a few bits of rolling stock for that now so maybe a new DLC with a couple of new units would allow for intercity layers with the 40’s & 47’s etc (APT dlc pls).

Hopefully DTG’s vision with NA & UK is to get them at least near the same level of variability like German DLC, but I do understand why German routes are the busiest since the rails are state owned.

6. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

If the above list of current licensors is accurate (and to be honest, we have no way of knowing), then it does strike me as a bit of a miss that they wouldn't have included a Thameslink 387 to operate those services in BML. As I understand it, all that would really need updating would be the seat moquette and the external livery.

I know the 700 is more accurate to the route, but we could end up with a gap of stopping services in the timetable (especially around Salfords / Earlswood) that would have been so easily filled with a tiny bit of creative license given the 387 used to operate regularly in Thameslink guise. Nothing stopping a Class 700 DLC to follow later too.

It would make BML the Dresden-equivalent of the UK in my opinion with a good amount of different routes and service types.

Having said that, maybe we'll yet be surprised - as of me writing this post we know very little about the route so let's wait and see - maybe there will be a different solution to the above!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

Very interesting find. Also remarkable that Thurbo is included in the licensor logos. They're a Swiss train operator that mainly drives Stadler GTW trains.

8. tbaac

tbaac Well-Known Member

How expensive do you think it is for DTG to get these licenses? Do you think that they're spent serious money or them or that it is more the case that the opportunity came up to get the license and they thought they might as well grab it just in case? (e.g. happened to meet up with someone from Northern and came to some sort of agreement).

9. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing, but it might be a simple/cheap process to get an agreement in principle, then maybe the actual cost comes as royalties once the route is released. I'd also imagine that once you're in with a group like Arriva, you can sweep up Chiltern, CrossCountry, Grand Central etc without too much resistance.

• Like Like x 1
  10. aaron1807

aaron1807 Member

I think it was mentioned on a stream recently that DTG don't actually pay anything for the licenses per say, well at least nothing of financial value anyway. It may of been Matt who said that operators are typically quite supportive and excited to get involved in the game, I think it came up in relation to the branded container wagons on the second Dresden preview stream.

• Like Like x 1
  11. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Thurbo operates a network in the eastern part of switzerland. Either DTG is making an entire new route or they use "konstanz villingen", which would allow even other stock than the stadler gtw

12. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

We need more USA Route, ESPECIALLY Metro North, AND NJ TRANSIT, AND MORE UNDERGROUND LINE IN LONDON.

13. trainsimplayer

After BKL I think the last thing we need is another tube line rn, after the... Erm... Issues, that had.

What about the WCML, ECML, Northern Routes, Wales, Edinburgh - Glasgow? These are all highly requested alternatives.

The only Tube Lines that are really worth it atm are the Sub-Surface ones, so we can experience those. Maybe the Met, idk.

But the last thing we need right now is more tube, to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  14. trainsimplayer

The list was found by a user from in the TSC Discord, and is a list of files.

After looking at the files seperately, it's safe to conclude these are the logos on the new menus - in service & route selection screens, and probably in the store.

Considering they are in the game files, I imagine this means they have them,band have the agreements.

Also, Thameslink is nearly guaranteed to be true, anyway.
    They now have Gatwick Express (Southern's license is from TfL apparently), and in DTG's Recent "About us" video (located on a seperate DTG Channel) Great Northern (of course, another part of GTR) was shown shortly showing a few companies DTG have worked with.

Of Course, GN hasn't had any content in TS or TSW yet (which makes me think this is a hint to the next UK route after BML), which implies they presently have the license.

Rambling aside, TL;DR: There is certainly substance to this list.

15. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

Here is the video, if anyone is interested.

• Like Like x 2
  16. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

A Great Northern Hint for a route has to be 1 of 2 routes: The East Coast Main Line from London to Peterbrough/Kings Lynn/Cambridge or the Northern City Line. Personally, if Dovetail are doing a ECML route going from London Kings Cross, I would love to have the Northern City Line included. Depending on the exact era, it may potentially allow for a 313 that has a pantograph. Plus, due to how short it is, it would not be that hard to make

17. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

Great Northern has had content in TS Classic, but it was not official. It was made by Armstrong Powerhouse

18. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

My absolute dream route would be ecml kgx-pbo

19. trainsimplayer

Exactly, hence why I said it hasn't had any. DTG (at least I think) wouldn't have been involved in licensing that - if AP licensed that.

20. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I’m not fussy about which particular routes get built, but about the activity that occurs on them.
    My favourite routes are those with plenty of other train movements around you.
    Even with beautiful scenery long stretches of track in a dead world get boring very quickly.

• Like Like x 4