So When Can Expect To See The Likes Of Just Trains Making Routes And Locos In Tsw2?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by davejc64, Sep 14, 2021.

1. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

I was just wondering when we are going to see routes and locos for TSW2 from Just Trains, have they even been given access too development tools?

That is of course assuming that Just Trains want to make stuff for TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

You can email them and they'll tell you what they're doing. JustTrains are pretty good customer service wise

• Like Like x 2
  3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

That would be up Just Trains if they're interested in developing for TSW2.

4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Am I right in thinking that they make British content only? It's been quite a few years since I last shopped there.

5. ARuscoe

They've only made UK content for TS1, though they do act as resellers for all TS1 DLC (including other countries)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

Didn't they make the three country route as well

7. ARuscoe

Not aware of that one

8. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Yes they did

9. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they've also made (or at least published) some Chinese high speed routes.

Back in the days of TSW2020, they were often saying they were waiting for the editor to become publically available, but seem to have gone quiet on the matter since DTG said that won't be a thing - they were probably one of the many who completely scrapped their plans when that announcement was made.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

I was emailed a recent survey by Just Trains and one of the questions was "Would you like us to develop Routes and Loco's for TSW2"

• Like Like x 4
  11. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I just want Valley Corridor and Marsdonshire...

12. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

If Dovetail is not going to publicly release the editor, for TSW to get even close to being as large as TS Classic, they need to hire more companies beyond just the 2 they have hired, Rivet and Skyhook

• Like Like x 6
  13. trainsimgaming1001

Also, one of the surveys from D T G, it said from like 15 to 1, which feature not currently present in TSW would you like.

One of them was being able to build your own route. The DTG problem is that they rarely go head with making suggestions. Being able to builld your own route would solve that.

If they are able to put that sort of stuff in a public survey, they are clearly capable of releasing a route editor

• Like Like x 4
  14. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

As a former regular customer of just trains (ts2020) i made a ticket before about their strategie going the path for tsw2.

As soon i get an answer i will post it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see them get involved in making TSW2 content, it would mean we would get a much welcome boost in UK based content too.

Hopefully as TSW continues to grow, more third party devs will be enticed into making stuff for it :)

• Like Like x 6
  16. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

From what I know, there are many parts of the Unreal editor they can't share by their own means. The only alternative would, of course, be to completely reconstruct the editor and make it a new one.

Plus, it wouldn't work for Consoles (around ⅔ of players), so what real use is there, as sharing would be limited, and even more so ~⅔ of players wouldn't be able to contribute, in the likely scenario.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. meridian#2659

Ok i got a reply:

My question to just trains:
    Hello As a regular customer from just trains it was now the time for the change to tsw2. My reason for this decision is the amount of content which has already grown since tsw1 and obviously the new engine. As i always enjoyed the detailed products of just trains advanced locos & routes, i have following question: Is there a chance just train is gonna develop content for tsw 2 in the near future? Thanks for an answer. Kind regards

The answer of JT:
    Yes, that's the plan. There's no solid SDK for the TSW2 hence the delay up until now, but its looking promising for the future development - DTG's say they are willing to work with our Dev team and understanding what SDK they currently have without revealing any of their TSW2 core code.
    Kind regards,

• Like Like x 13
  18. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

Whats SDK mean

19. JealousSheep768

JealousSheep768 Well-Known Member

Software development kit

• Like Like x 1
  20. trainsimgaming1001

The original plan for the editor was for it to be an Extension to the UE4 editor available on Epic Games

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  21. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The more developers on board the better. It all helps competition - working to produce the best routes - we can only win as players. Make it happen DTG!

• Like Like x 6
  22. trainsimplayer

Talk about transparency, wow.

But anyway, JT is always a win!

• Like Like x 4
  23. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

So what's your point? Since some people can't have it, nobody should have it?

• Like Like x 4
  24. trainsimplayer

Not specifically. If an Editor was released - even if just PC only - I would be happy, even though I play on Xbox. However, when routes and other contents are being shared amongst the community, that's when it begins to become a bit of an issue.

P.S. it wouldn't be "some" people it would be a majority, or at the very minimum a near majority.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Seeing as though there already is an unofficial editor; this may happen sooner rather than later once more people start using it / become aware of it / tools improves over time.

Also the mod community has been there since the beginning creating awesome improvements to the game, so that gap between the console and PC editions is already present to some extent.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  26. meridian#2659

Indeed JT is a win. i dont want to speculate about what they might gonna do fist, but point out the discussions aboute route extensions & longer routes here in the forum.

For those people (me including), might be hope:

- JT is the creator of western main lines for ts2021, a 300 mile route from london paddington to exeter st.davids & cardiff. Also partial sections available. :)

- For fans of the london underground, they realised the metropolitan line for ts2021.

I just wish they work together with dtg or other 3rd party devs. As an example we had dtg's west somerset route (ts2021) and just trains fantastic west somerset route (ts2021). Except they act in different time periods this would be waste of ressources in my opinion.

• Like Like x 4
  27. davejc64

I have myself emailed Just trains asking if they have any plans to develop addons for TSW2, and I agree they have done some epic addons for TS2021.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

this is no diffferent now with livery's and mods being shared amongst PC useres

29. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Their answer is in post #17…

30. trainsimplayer

I won't deny both of you do make a good point, but whole routes and content? - which would probably put DTG off making them, at the end of it. That's a no from me. That's when the gap loses any degree of "it's alright really".

31. davejc64

I don't see what the issue is there has always been mods and stuff been shared by pc user for games that also appear on consoles, why should PC users go without addons just because console users cant have them.

• Like Like x 6
  32. davejc64

I had emailed them right after I created this thread and before that reply had been posted, I am capable of reading myself but thanks for pointing it out, anyway.

33. meridian#2659

Thats exactly the point. They should use the benefit for each platform.

Its like porsche makes a new car and because 1 costumer can afford just the fiat engine they are gonna put that inside for everybody...XD.

The weakest platform should not be standard for the overall content.

• Like Like x 4
  34. davejc64

I would imagine that all the content for TSW 2 is developed on PC anyway so its obvious that content can be ported over for the consoles so anything 3rd party developers do using the TSW development tool kit could be too.

• Like Like x 1
  35. ARuscoe

The only channel to publish to consoles as it stands is via DTG, so any developer who produces for TSW should have to also provide and maintain all content for all devices. I know people will say "but PCs have been modded blah blah blah", but DTG made a decision that their software should work similarly on all platforms, so if you have a problem then direct that at DTG

Personally I am more than happy that there's a single uniform platform cross device, and my issue with 3rd party devs (or public devs) is that the quality produced is usually much LOWER than what DTG do when it comes to routes and of course DTG routes have the preserved crew bringing them up to spec. 3rd party devs (or public) won't necessarily do that

• Like Like x 3
  36. meridian#2659

Yes the quality is a big thing when it comes to 3rd party devs. Well we have seen top content and not so good products from each of them.

In the End it matters if a product gets negative feedback, what devs are gonna do to improve that.

With the preservation team DTG made a really good decision. Many players forget they cant just adress all at once.

Im sure Rivet Games doesent let us down with the arosa line bugs occure since the core update.

• Like Like x 1
  37. fabristunt

I don't understand how it would become an issue. Is it just because console users wouldn't have access to it? I can't see how this could be a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  38. ARuscoe

"Hey, have you heard about the new TSW2 route, it's a great route with great trains and an excellent timetable"
    "Cool, why can't I see in on the store like every other route"
    "Oh, it's only on PC..."
    "But 66% or more of TSW players aren't ON PC, why the hell would DTG allow that to happen?"

In other words, the people who are only looking after their own interests may not "see a problem", but some look past their own wants to what would better suit everyone

• Like Like x 1
  39. fabristunt

I really can't see a problem. People using different platforms have to accept the limits, not only the advantages. I don't see you guys complaining that loud about the mods we already have, so it wouldn't be an issue. Why? Because this stuff isn't made by DTG. Just like other routes made with the editor we will never have.
    You are right in saying that I am only looking out for my interests, but why should I care about other systems? So far consoles have only been limiting TSW. The only positive contribution of TSW coming to consoles has been the increase in sales, which is good for DTG, but not really for me: being the bigger bread winner, now consoles "rule" the development and limit the development of the game to what can be done on consoles. I.e. ultimately PC users gained nothing.

I might be looking only in my garden, but console users are snooping around mine and, since they can't grow roses, they believe I shouldn't be able to as well.

• Like Like x 7
  40. ARuscoe

The only reason I don't point out the issues in third party content is because I don't see the point. For the most part third party content is as flawed and inconsistent as the DTG content (but of course people just love that they can get things for free and don't actually look into whether it's an improvement in real terms or not)
    But as you've said, you don't care because you're doing alright

• Like Like x 2
  41. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

People using different games need to accept the limits imposed on them by the way the developers want them to be. You are just going to have to accept it. It’s not your interests that DTG are concerned about, it’s all their players. Hats off to them for that approach.

• Like Like x 2
  42. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

There's rather a big difference between sharing free mods and scenarios in the PC community, and launching paid PC-only DLC which console players can't use.

• Like Like x 7
  43. davejc64

I did get a reply from just trains and they did say its Somthing they are considering and they are in the process of sorting things out with dtg and should be making a decision within a month or so either way.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  44. fabristunt

I am not complaining about DTG's policy. I have to accept it, it's not like I can change anythig about it, can I? They'll always try to cater for console users (=the majority) as that's where the money is, nothing special or worthy taking your hat off.
    I am however interested in knowing why console users believe that, if they can't have something, nobody should have it. I still haven't got an answer to that.

As for this:
    Some contend may be flawed, but some may be better.
    Moreover, a public editor would foster the participation of payware developers. At the moment becoming a 3rd party dev for TSW2 seems to be quite an involved process. Just look at what is happening with TSG. The DTG team dealing with 3rd party devs is a joke...

• Like Like x 6
  45. ARuscoe

Payware editors would be 2nd or 3rd party and DTG have a route for this (however convoluted) and I believe the main sticking points are sticking to the proviso of "you must get licenses" as well as both DTG and Epic taking a slice of anything sold using the UE framework...

I understand the complexities of development in a multi partner environment, but the point here is that whilst the public dev kit might help SOME it isn't the answer the wider questions, which for me are how do you maintain quality control in those 3rd (4th?) party devs and how do you ensure they don't break anything in their development, because you can be darn sure the first thing DTG will say when anyone reports a fault in any TSW product going forward will be "have you EVER installed a mod or 3rd party package" and if the answer is yes they're entitled to walk away, and that's just on PC

46. fabristunt

Quality would control itself: poor content wouldn't be that popular and in due time it would become apparent wo does good content and who doesnt. Isn't this the approach DTG is using right now? Arosa's first iteration was unplayable, yet it was still released, no quality control whatsoever. Even now it has many bugs, some gamebreaking, yet it's still there, with new stuff from Rivet coming soon, sooner then the fixes for Arosa anyway. DTG doesn't care about quality control now, so it wouldn't be a problem for them later.

As for mods and support, that's how many games deal with that right know. I would be ok with it, but original content still has to work as intended when not modded. A fresh install would take care of the "have you ever installed mods" part, then it would be back in DTG's hand to fix or forget.

• Like Like x 2
  47. solicitr

It seems that DTG have not and will not repeat the TS1 policy of allowing indie devs to produce add-on DLCs which are developed and sold independently without DTG oversight and not through DTG's own storefronts. Besides questions of revenue, they also don't want to have to deal with the incompatibility problems which have developed in TS1, and certainly not the nearly proprietary RTE created by Armstrong Powerhouse..

• Like Like x 1
  48. ARuscoe

Right... I think you may want to look at some of the third party content in TS1 and review that one... Quality concerns raised all the time on TS1 routes (DTG and 3rd party) but they still continue in the same pattern

• Like Like x 1
  49. fabristunt

I know, I am a TS1 user. I stopped using stuff which is sup-par to put it mildly. I can't do anything about people who like getting ripped off.
    All I'm saying is DTG doesn't really care that much about quality now with it's official DLCs for TSW2 (and 3rd party, see Rivet), so it won't have to care about 3rd party content if we ever get that editor. We users will learn the hard way which developers deserve praise and which don't.

• Like Like x 2
  50. solicitr

Even if DTG ever do release a public editor (which I think unlikely, for both practical and legal reasons), its EULA will almost certainly carry a prohibition on using it for commercial purposes, i.e. producing paid DLC.

• Like Like x 1