London - Brighton Screenshots Released

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Clumsy Pacer, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 12
  2. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

All a bit clean for me - both trains and scenery. It looks like one of those artists impressions of what a proposed new development will look like, rather than anything you see in real life.

Still, it’s WIP. Let’s hope the weathering stage was still to come.

• Like Like x 9
  3. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Spot on. It’s unnaturally squeaky clean.
    Rail vehicles in the Uk are always dirty.
    To say nothing of the nonexistent litter.

• Like Like x 6
  4. lcyrrjp

Looking back on that post, it was unfair only to mention the one negative from the screenshots. I should also say the level of detail looks impressive and it’s great to see a 465 on the route to provide a break from the Electrostars. I’m really looking forward to this route.

• Like Like x 3
  5. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

But realistically wouldn't the BR465 only offer some AI traffic around London?

6. lcyrrjp

I would have thought so, yes - on the SET services into Victoria. Better than nothing though, for some visual variety.

• Like Like x 2
  7. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Slam door. Should have set it in the naughties.

• Like Like x 4
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It seems that the TOCs in their licensing contracts put the kibosh on making their trains look cruddy. The only UK trains which have layers of accumulated grime are vintage BR locos, MfT apparently not caring so much about the reputation of a long-defunct brand.

• Like Like x 2
  9. lcyrrjp

And that’s not entirely unrealistic in that it’s true (in my experience) that UK trains today are cleaner than they were in BR days, internally and externally. However, it’s impossible for a train to be completely clean - a dusting of grime on the underframe and lower parts of the body occurs virtually as soon as the train starts it’s first journey - and it looks better when that’s reflected in TSW2. Also, a bit of dirt and deterioration of paint and surfaces on stations, signals, buildings etc would improve things, and presumably wouldn’t be affected by licensing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. lcyrrjp

Well, I agree entirely - VEPs, CEPs and the like would be incredible, but I suppose that’s a different discussion. Mind you, if a ‘DC Legends’ were to be released for the route with a couple of items of slam-door stock, I’m sure the wonderful modders would do a magnificent job of patching the route to make it 80s-esque - just as they did with Paddington-Reading.

11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, we're unlikely to see much dirt and rust on the trains themselves, as pointed out by Solicitr. But the infrastructure should realistically show aging and wear and tear. There's plenty of grime on the scenery in TVL and NTP, and Clinchfield is pretty dirty, as a coal carrier should be. And there's quite a lot of graffiti on the German railway, for instance. But graffiti on trains and freight cars? That's probably a no-no. After all we don't want to encourage that kind of anti-social behavior, do we?

• Like Like x 1
  12. solicitr

One gets the impression that the deal with Union Pacific is a bit more permissive, as there is indeed graffiti on the UP coal hoppers, and Cane Creek includes a dirty version of the AC4400.

• Like Like x 2
  13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Someone was commenting on Alan Thomson FB earlier with regard to Reigate station. In the pre release screens allegedly looks nothing like the real location, even down to using a generic office or apartment block as the station building. Can only hope it's a placeholder.

14. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Google it. What you’ve stated they’ve said is bang on the money. It looks absolutely nothing like the real station so it had better be a placeholder. After Dresden this stuff can no longer be acceptable.

It’s so obviously wrong that it must be a placeholder (it’s not just that building that is incorrect), but then it seems like a really odd choice as a pre-release screenshot if that’s the case.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  15. Clumsy Pacer

Not alleged unless you have serious eyesight problems.
    Posted by bart2day yesterday in another thread:
    upload_2021-9-18_20-5-14.png

• Like Like x 4
  16. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

It’s so wrong it actually makes me question whether or not that is actually meant to be Reigate. It looks absolutely nothing like it!

• Like Like x 1
  17. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

But all this speculation is based purely on that PIS?
    I don't know the line, but surely that is a longshot!

18. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Then why hasn't anyone from dtg said that is not reigate station then? Surely that would quell the speculation

• Like Like x 1
  19. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

Do they ever 'quench your thirst' during a new release? :)

20. Clumsy Pacer

I can't (and seemingly no one else can) think of a station on the BML that has just 2 dead straight through platforms with no loops, with a building on the up platform that has terminating trains, that also isn't Reigate.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I have to agree. The 'Terminates Here' is the major clue, along with the times that match up to the Reigate branch. With the double-track, the only sections that fit the bill would be the slow lines via Redhill and the stretch of track before Balcombe down to Preston Park - and neither of these have any services which would terminate at any of those stations. Thus, it must be Reigate.

My only reasoning that Reigate could have been selected was to show the potential of a clue for a GWR layer? I mean the article even says about layers, though none have yet to be revealed. Hopefully, Reigate in time will be sorted before release.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Clumsy Pacer

I don't think it is, because then why not show Gatwick or Redhill? If it isn't finished and that is just a placeholder, then the only reason I can think of it being included is that marketing wanted a picture of Reigate to say "look it really is happening!" no matter what state it was in.

• Like Like x 1
  23. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Why is this thread in the PC stream when it is not a PC only issue and there is already a healthy discussion in the Dovetail Live Article Discussion forum?

• Like Like x 1
  24. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Makes sense, as adding to my point of showing a potential GWR hint, I agree Reigate could have been chosen over Redhill or Gatwick purely because of marketing to show 'here's a branch'. Especially after all the branch line-related factors with Dresden.

• Like Like x 1
  25. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

For Reigate Gatwick Airport GWML London Paddington to reading is required to operate class 166. Unless Class 165 is made as DLC for here then layer to GWML London Paddington to reading.

26. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Hardly any threads in the three sections are platform specific issues and there isn’t a space for discussions that are about the game in general. This is a bit of a repeat topic but sometimes threads are started before the article discussion page is posted by DTG and sometimes people just like to start their own thread.

• Like Like x 1
  27. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I don't think any layers will be route layers unless it's referring to future releases which stack into this. I think the layers will be loco ones as it shows the one from when SEHS released which name eludes me

28. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

The article says something that can only mean one thing; FREIGHT!

• Like Like x 2
  29. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

Be nice if they did a retro pack at a later date featuring some older locos and EMUs sort of like they did the 70s pack for GWE.

• Like Like x 3
  30. Crosstie

Yes, the division between the three platforms on the forum is more honored in the breach than the observance.
    There was some support a while ago for a "general discussion" section, but nothing ever came of it. There is such a section in the TS forum, but, of course, no console sections.

• Like Like x 2
  31. solicitr

I would be happier if the forum was divided into functional subforums rather than platforms, with the "Platform Tags" of the bug subforum available for platform-specific matters.

32. Clumsy Pacer

I actually only started this thread because I hadn't realised one had been created in the DTL Discussion forum.

33. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Look at the trouble you’ve caused :D

• Like Like x 1
  34. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

In Victoria itself (P1-P7), at the Grosvenor sheds just outside Victoria, over the bridge, then they almost immediately veer eastwards towards Wandsworth Road, whereas the BML heads south then slightly SW through Battersea Park to Clapham Junction

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Agree Dave. My experience of travelling out of Victoria towards the South Coast is on CIG's and VEP's, EPB's on the suburban stuff and Thumpers off towards the Oxted Line. Oh and a 73 (+ MLV on the other end) when those worked the Gatwick Express.

• Like Like x 3
  36. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

Completely agree. I, like many others, play on PC so it feels like the most obvious place to post a discussion because there really isn't a general section that covers all platforms. I really don't understand DTG's decision to neglect adding a category for all platforms, as that'd simplify things a lot.

• Like Like x 5
  37. Bexy916

Bexy916 New Member

Im actually dreading this from the WIP screenshots released...... 1. They cant get the route name right 2. Reigate.... oh dear.

Well I paid for it, so once its released I'll review in minute detail on my FB page. My old work patch and home turf before a side step to the Colonies!!! Fingers crossed DTG prove us wrong and do it right!!

• Like Like x 2
  38. Crosstie

It's somewhat ironic that DTG chose those particular screenshots. If they hadn't shown the ones of "Reigate" station and the weird looking cranes, this discussion and other threads might have taken an entirely different tone. And if those problems had been fixed before release, no-one on the forums would ever have known about them. I mean all screenshots are WIP, but I'm sure there were better choices.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
  39. Clumsy Pacer

Huh?

40. ARuscoe

Many wouldn't have been worrying about it being called "Brighton Mainline", but DTGs stat sheet shows new people prefer some form of "headline clickbait route title", so they went with "London Commuter", which is just awful

• Like Like x 2
  41. davejc64

Yes its "work in progress" so bearing that in mind, lets wait and see before writing the route off completely.

Maybe it so as not to confuse those who have no idea where Brighton in the UK is, but I agree "Brighton Mainline" would have been better, as "London Commuter" could be any number of routes in the UK, but DTGs defence would be "London Commuter" fits with the "Rush Hour" theme they are using.

• Like Like x 1
  42. ARuscoe

I have no idea where many of the German locations are (other than in Germany, which is a big place...), let alone the US ones (an even bigger place), But hey, if I can operate a computer or Playstation maybe I could google it...

Sam went into some depth as to why they changed the stance on a stream. I think we've got this convention for a while... unfortunately
    Either way I'll probably stick to BML as it's name in my own head

• Like Like x 1
  43. davejc64

Judging by some of the comments I see on many forums some people would find using google a problem, but I did kind of make that comment about not knowing where Brighton is with tongue firmly in cheek.

44. ARuscoe

;)

45. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Route was originally planned for release by September 30th. Think it will be a week or two later. I predict October 7th.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Bexy916

Bexy916 New Member

Mate I worked on the route for 15 years, lived near and used it for over 30 years....... and ive not seen it yet, Ive NOT written it of YET. I also said I would do a review....... Review hasnt been done yet....... Unless youve or someone else has gained access to my accounts and written a review I am unaware of?

47. Bexy916

Bexy916 New Member

not complicated mate - I dont recall anywhere in any railway literature or history of the route, any mention of it called London Commuter

48. davejc64

Yeah, would be good maybe set within the NSE era, slam door stock and class 73 Gatwick express and a class 33 popping in on engineering and freight duties.

• Like Like x 1