Train Sim World 2 - London Commuter First Screens!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Sep 17, 2021.

1. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Interesting comment. I wonder if this is because we don’t know what the stations abroad look like in real life, To be honest, I wouldn’t have noticed Reigate if it hadn’t been pointed out and if it was released as depicted, it wouldn’t have bothered me.

Should we call this Reigategate?

• Like Like x 6
  2. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

This is my thought. This forums is primarily of the Anglosphere, so naturally you are more likely to hear complaints and criticisms on here from people that live in English-speaking countries and therefore would not be as intimately familiar with foreign content. Rail-Sim.de, for example, may not be as forgiving as we.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  3. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

That's an interesting point I hadn't considered.

And I think Reigategate is a very fitting name!

• Like Like x 3
  4. jamster47

jamster47 Well-Known Member

I have never been to Reigate so I have no idea what it is meant to look like. However the station building in the screenshot is clearly a 3 storey block of flats complete with balconies and blinds on the windows.
    And the middle floor of windows are right where the top of the canopy sits.

so I presume surely it’s not the correct building and just one they have put in for reasons unexplained. I can’t believe that would be used for a station asset surely?

• Like Like x 7
  5. hugosteele12

hugosteele12 New Member

do you reckon we will see maybe Littlehampton or a Bognor Regis branch line soon too i really do hope so

6. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Not going to happen.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm afraid I'll have to differ with you on that. The video quality of the streams has been roundly criticised over a long period of time by people watching in different ways.. Do a search.

• Like Like x 1
  8. taybarker20

taybarker20 Active Member

Is there a level crossing in the reigate screenshot

9. Doomotron

As far as I can see, no.

10. Crosstie

I'd hate to live on the ground floor and have my bathroom window open directly on to the up platform. :D

• Like Like x 7
  11. Doomotron

Well, at least you won't need to go downstairs to empty the bin! :D
    I know I'm quoting myself here, but if the lack of a level crossing is because the station isn't Reigate, then what station could it actually be?

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that 'Reigate' looks awful.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

It could just be that the train and platform are obscuring it, or they've put it behind the footbridge for some reason. It does look like there's something going over the track though
    upload_2021-9-18_23-35-8.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Crosstie

Hogsmeade??

• Like Like x 3
  14. Doomotron

I was thinking Balamory station, but you're probably closer.

15. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

I like that they now use the correct green AWS ramps instead of the yellow ones.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

What image are you looking at where it says Reigate?

17. Doomotron

The real-life photo. Their point is that the TSW image can only be proven to be Reigate once the signs for it are added.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Oh my bad sorry! Thought I was missing some from the screenshots!

19. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Just think of the positives though, you'd have a shorter commute to work. :D
    It would make more sense to create a whole new West Coastway route which would include Littlehampton and Bognor at some point later down the line with the soon-to-be-released Class 313 as the flagship train for it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Where is the Pantograph

21. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

I wonder if we will get a 313 AI layer for Brighton when that loco finally gets released.

• Like Like x 1
  22. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I have no idea, but I have wondered for ages why they do it the way they do... Would seem a better idea to me to do it similar to the 4UP challenge, where they run things beforehand and can broadcast this in 4k HD real time with whoever is presenting answering questions without needing to worry about controlling a train
    Either that or do it via a console at all times which leaves the PC to only need to do sharing and teams...

There's a fair bit of freight at the top end of the line but not for long. As you say between North Kent and West London it crosses between Redhill and Clapham. There is also a quarry near Haywards Heath where the loco pulls the consist off the branch, does an runaroudn through the station and then heads north
    There is also the Newhaven Aggregates (you know, the ones from ECW) which head up the line to Crawley (near Gatwick), Acton (GWML) and Neasden (GWML)

• Like Like x 6
  23. ARuscoe

On which train?

24. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

DTG have already stated that they will not stream in 4K. They claim this is because of Twitch limitations, whereby if you are not a partner streamer, viewers can only watch the stream in the native resolution. This is bad for viewers with slow internet. However, said users could watch the same stream on YouTube with automatic quality options, so I'm not really sure what point DTG were trying to make with that statement.

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

This. Pretty sure the "obviously a block of flats" asset has just been placed in to fill the gap where a still-being-worked-on station building will go. DTG know that wouldn't fly.

Cranes look to be a simple glitch - they're all at the same wrong angle so there's obviously a position value somewhere that needs tweaking by 45° in the relationship between tower and arm. Does suggest the arms will be free to move independently though, which should give the skyline a bit more life and movement.

• Like Like x 1
  26. ARuscoe

Sounds like another "in making things so that everyone has the same experience, we're making it worse"

• Like Like x 1
  27. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

I doubt the residents of Reigate (it’s a very posh Tory voting town) would be too pleased if their station building was knocked down for a block of council flats ;)

• Like Like x 3
  28. jackthelad258

jackthelad258 Active Member

Only the 377/2, 377/5 and 377/7 are equipped with a pantograph which is raised near Willesden Junction for services to Watford Junction and Milton Keynes Central. Since the route is in third rail territory the pantograph is not used.

• Like Like x 1
  29. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

The class 387/2s are fitted with Pantographs. If DTG don’t include a working pantograph some people (including me) are going to be very annoyed.

• Like Like x 5
  30. railwaykid04

railwaykid04 New Member

i don’t understand why everyone is complaining about Reigate, to me the station is fine and I know dtg, had to do what the did and tried there best, certain rail fans are just trying to find something to complain about, if we keep complaining this route will take longer to release, and seriously some people are so silly they are complaining about cranes. The is a train simulation game not a crane simulation game. To me the route is perfect and I can wait for it to release. It really sees something about the game when some people complain about tinny differences such as Reigate and the cranes. To the people who talk about Reigate level crossing and signal box, it probably can’t be seen due to the angle the screenshots were taken or the screenshoots were taken before the station was full modelled. It takes some times to get all the pictures over to the newsletter and for it to be wrote, so I think the screenshots were took 2-3 weeks ago. Also on the screenshots is work in process meaning there is very likely for changes to be made before release.

31. ARuscoe

Unfortunately I actually agree with them. If you're going to include something then make it as close as you can. DTG decided to include an "off the line" station, and have said themselves that station buildings are one of the most time consuming parts of making a route
    But if a building IRL is a station building and the canopy is straight, putting in a block of flats and curved canopy just isn't going to be right.
    It's not like several of the bridges on routes where they're utterly wrong. You actually stop at stations and take screenshots... they should be fairly accurate

• Like Like x 6
  32. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Exactly the point I made previously regarding WORK IN PROGRESS.

• Like Like x 1
  33. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

The zoomfactor (microscope) i need to see the difference, tells me that dtg made the electrostar not that bad.

They should rather focus on things like inacurate stations & landmarks.

34. james64

I feel like it would be pretty short sighted if they didn't include pantograph functionality on the 387, simply because it's likely the train will appear again in a future route where the pantograph will be needed. Whether that is an electrified version of GWE (highly unlikely, but never say never) or an ECML south route from King's Cross to Stevenage or maybe even Peterborough/ Cambridge. Last time I was at Cambridge I actually saw some ex Gatwick Express 387s in an unbranded version of their red livery working with Great Northern's units.

At the very least I expect the pantograph to be modelled and visible on the roof. Which to be fair I think it will, it would be a new low for DTG if it wasn't.

• Like Like x 2
  35. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Hopefully the Class 166 has also been included in layers, so we get scenes like this:
    6A02145A-10DE-4BE5-91FA-FD091141EED7.jpeg

• Like Like x 27
  36. londonmidland

“Our busiest timetable created so far for any Train Sim World route puts you right into the pandemonium of central London Rush Hour”

Up to now, what is the busiest route for TSW and how many services does it have? It’ll be interesting to have some context for comparison.

• Like Like x 5
  37. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

Matt has said previously that the busiest route currently released is Munich to Augsburg with a total of around 1,200 services, both playable and AI only.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  38. ARuscoe

It's pretty likely that if DTG ever did any of those routes that they'd build such functions from scratch for those assets. I believe the southern route is the only one where they move from 3rd rail to panto power anyway...

• Like Like x 3
  39. londonmidland

Regarding the dual voltage capabilities of the 387, it would be extremely short sighted for DTG not to simulate the AC/pantograph functionality just because the BML route is third rail only.

• Like Like x 7
  40. ARuscoe

I don't know why they would dev spend time on making a system you don't use work on a route that doesn't use it

• Like Like x 3
  41. Crosstie

And, in my opinion, perhaps the most important scenic elements, as exemplified by Dresden, where the beautifully modeled stations (especially Dresden Neustadt) make a world of difference to my enjoyment of the route.
    I hope we see some screenshots of major stations on the route in future articles.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  42. ARuscoe

Exactly. The wrong bridge on a high speed section isn't a bad thing per se. The wrong station, especially a terminal one, is going to be something that sticks out

• Like Like x 8
  43. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

DTG has shown though that something that's in work in progress is usually the final product

• Like Like x 8
  44. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

All right, after studying the comparisons of the RL Electrostars with those in-game, I am now convinced that the "too wide" appearance is a function of how DTG's loco team did (or had to do) the 3D wireframe modeling of a very tricky bit of geometry: on the RL train, the very front portion of the side lines narrow down a bit towards the end, and at the same time flatten out the 'knuckle" in the sides so that there is a relatively large-radius "dome" where it meets the frontal plane. DTG didn't or couldn't do that so there is a relatively sharper "corner" at the front, which has the appearance of being rather too wide in that dimension. It isn't really, but the impression is created.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

It still looks as if they are persevering with the not very realistic speed signs, i.e incorrect font. Not sure why this is.
    A bit disappointing, as the Dresden route had details such as fonts pretty much nailed.

Hopefully we'll get the varying track types/ballast/sleepers too, like Dresden? Adds so much to the experience, I think.

Apart from that, screenshots look good, looking forward to more details.

• Like Like x 4
  46. Conrad

Conrad Member

This community is not focused on the important things.
    The gameplay is more important than the perfect replication of a station or signals.
    Dovetail have to only test test test and still test on the next days.

• Like Like x 2
  47. kenobi#1878

You could say the same about the DB BR 101 and LZB

48. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

How is a replication of signals not important? That's like saying it's ok for dtg to add German signaling to a British Route

• Like Like x 10
  49. james64

There's much more to making a route good than just gameplay. Sounds, scenery and accuracy are all extremely important in making a route high quality.

• Like Like x 7
  50. kenobi#1878

As this game is a Simulator, you should always expect it to accurately simulate reality, which means signalling and stations should be accurate

• Like Like x 12