Tsg Br 232 For Riesa - Dresden Instead Of Ruhr-sieg Nord

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jolojonasgames, Sep 20, 2021.

?
  1. Ruhr-Sieg Nord

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Bahnstrecke Riesa - Dresden

34 vote(s)
    59.6%
  3. It doesn't matter to me.

14 vote(s)
    24.6%
  1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Hi all, many avid followers of the roadmap and/or TSG's brilliant work will know about the DB BR 232 currently in developement as a loco add-on for Ruhr-Sieg Nord. As far as I know it isn't scheduled to come out this year, and this means that there might still be the possibility of introducing this loco for the new Riesa - Dresden route instead. There are multiple reasons as to why I find that option preferable, and I'll list those below. However, this is not a demand or anything, and I'd love the BR 232 just as much if it comes out on the great RSN.

Riesa - Dresden could use a freight DLC
    As it stands, Riesa - Dresden does have freight, but it is rather basic, and uses the same (albeit updated) wagons. The runs are A-B and don't go into any sidings, partially because these are non-electrified. These non-electrified sidings could be a perfect playing ground for the diesel powered BR 232 in scenarios and a few timetable services. There is also the Meißen branch, which could see a few scenarios with the BR 232 as there often are diesel hauled freight services on the line beyond Meißen as far as I know. The BR 232 could also bring new services that tie in the BR 363 better, by interacting with it when picking up freight the 363 shunted earlier for example. This all means there is plenty of room and need for more interesting freight services and scenarios with the BR 232.

Ruhr-Sieg Nord doesn't need another freight DLC
    Now of course a freight DLC for RSN would/could be great, but as it stands this route already has two amazing DLCs (the BR 155 with the Falns wagons and the BR 363 with the cement wagons) that give it a varied and great timetable for freight. It is not a route in desperate need of more freight content, as it has loads of it already.

The BR 232 is at home in Dresden
    The area around Dresden is one of the places the BR 232 can still be seen a lot, more than on RSN. The BR 232 is a loco from the former DDR, which Dresden was a part of. This means that historically the BR 232 had way more important ties to Dresden than to an industrial valley in West Germany. However, these ties to Dresden continue to this day. The BR 232 can often be seen here due to the large diesel network around Dresden, with many non-electrified lines surrounding the cities. In addition to that the BR 232s are used on cross border operations to the Czech Republic. Besides that all large maintenance on the 232s happens in Cottbus, just 85 km away from Dresden, however some are also stationed in Oberhausen (though only small maintenance happens here), not too far away from RSN. The 232's most memorable use for me personally also happened in Dresden, when they were used to weigh down the bridge over the Elbe during floods (this could also be a great scenario ;)). All of this leads to the 232 being a common sight in and around Dresden. I think this makes the 232 a good fit for this fantastic route :).

It might sell better because more people own Riesa - Dresden?
    Because BRD was part of a bundled deal, more people (probably) own it. This makes the potential customer group for a BR 232 on this route higher, but I don't have any solid figures on that.

[​IMG]
    232s on the bridge over the Elbe when the water got really high.

These reasons make me think the 232 would be better as DLC for Riesa - Dresden, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on is both in the comments and in the poll :). I hope that at the very least the BR 232 will layer onto Riesa - Dresden, but this can be difficult to implement on existing timetables.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 23
  2. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Riesa-Dresden makes more sense because in the Deutsche Reichsbahn DDR days BR232 in East Germany BR132 operated long distance services and freight same with DB BR155 DR BR250 if the line is electrified

4. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

The Dresden-Riesa route was not existing, not even on a plan as i know, when i decided to make the 232. So, it may change what the home route will be. That's a decision for the time when the actual development starts in terms of scenario creation.

• Like Like x 20
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. jolojonasgames

I can totally understand that. Thanks for replying, and good luck with your work. I'm looking forward to playing your content! :)

• Like Like x 9
  6. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I voted for NRD but RSN is in my opinion a nice route for German freight especially scenarios

hoping to see the 232 and other 2 locos be allowed to substitute into other route for timetable services where appropriate and even by the WIP screenshots I can see a very good job is being done to all 3 loco’s

• Like Like x 2
  7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I voted "it doesn't matter to me", as I wish any loco to be usable on as many routes as possible. Although I don't have much confidence on how substitution and layering is handled with third party content.

RSN is definately more hilly, which would make that diesel engine roar a lot more when going uphill. RSN also has more changes in speed limits, meaning you need to use the brakes and throttle more often.

Riesa-Dresden is pretty much using the same throttle position all the way. So if I'd have to choose, I'd choose RSN, but I'd rather be able to use the locos on both routes in timetable mode.

• Like Like x 2
  8. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I am for RSN for full freight supremacy, with an intense additional layer for BRD.
    I'm afraid the new timetable for BRD (if any) will arrive faster than the loco.
    I think for some technical reasons this could be the case (RSN as a home route). BR o7

EDIT
    Any small chance for BRD layer / or substitution? :)
    PS I got it wrong the first time! /o\

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2021
  9. jolojonasgames

I can see both your points, and the BR232 will be a fine addition on both routes. Let's hope that noatter it's home route, the 232 will substitute on more routes :).

• Like Like x 3
  10. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

I totally agree, it makes more sense to place a former East German loco on an East German route. Nevertheless after 1990 the BR 232 was also to be found in former West Germany. At that time the "Bundesbahn" did not have any heavy diesel locomotives, so the BR 218s often had to drive in double units.

I know that the BR 232 will be made ready for passenger service, so it won't be impossible to place her in front of an IC in the future, as it was the case in reality. ;)

• Like Like x 4
  11. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Here are my 2 cents. I abstained for now.

Riesa-Dresden would be an excellent route for the 232 based on historical context and the general buzz of the route. If shipped with appropriate services, there's a lot of potential to make use of all the tracks and yards along the way. Thus far, the freight runs on DRA are somewhat lacklustre. The improved physics and brake modes are worth it, but the services themselves could use a little flavour. A dedicated freight DLC could elevate DRA to an even better level.

However, RSN is the more interesting route for freight services. Almost all of the speed changes on DRA are irrelevant to freight trains since their vmax is lower anyhow. The same cannot be said for RSN. Couple that with the interesting gradients and RSN is just a little more interactive for freight trains.

The best solution would be to make sure that the 232 can substitute on as many services and routes as possible. I'd love to see the Ludmilla on home tracks with proper selectable brake modes (here's hoping that the 232 will have those :)), but I'd also love to run it on tracks that are more interesting (or rather interactive) for freight trains like RSN.

• Like Like x 2
  12. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

it can come for RSN(scenarios) and then can be added as layer of Riesa - Dresden, he already started with making it for RSN and everyone knows it will come for RSN so it would be bit confusing if it will come now for BRD

• Like Like x 1