Announcing Train Simulator 2022!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Sep 1, 2021.

1. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

I very rarely get any OOM crashes. When it does crash, it's generally when I'm running the 32 bit version and have been doing something at some point in the editor which is mainly swapping out rolling stock etc.

The 64 bit version I find fairly stable and don't recall when I last had a crash.

I have a a couple of JT routes with the requirements and some AP packs. I don't have any workshop based routes or scenarios.

I'm running an AMD FX-8350, 32gb RAM, GeForce GTX1050ti and 1tb SSD at 1920 by 1200 using Dunkrez's settings at a steady 30fps.

2. PuuvillaneMats

PuuvillaneMats Member

Sorry, man, what are You talking about??? Without third party or freeware ... ??? What more? There are editors officially released for content creation so why should freeware addons created using those editors not be used? And AP's payware addons are working perfectly, just TS crashes too often and there are lot of reports about what's wrong with the core software. Just no response. Without third party support this program would have been dead long ago. Well known memory issues are mostly caused by core software that's a well known truth.

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

PuuvillaneMats
    You have got TS2021 and you have decided to install some other Freeware items, like the rest of us.
    DTG have no idea what other trains/routes/repaints you have installed.
    Because of it causing TS2021 not to work properly it must be DTGs fault?

YOUR TS crashes too often - but most people it does not.
    You will find people complaining that the TS2021 crashes but most of the time it is down to something they installed.

That last time I had TS crash on me it was down to a faulty Workshop Scenario

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I was pointing out that it would be something that was installed is causing the crashes.
    Something that DTG won't know about - so how can they fix it?
    People just post anything on social media because something is not working as it should
    Installing a faulty scenario is a good way to get the game to crash

5. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

My game crashes and I basically run vanilla (with a bunch of dlc) - alt tabbing is also a sure way to crash the game with an out of memory error on my machine. The issue is core to the game - I hope they fix it

• Like Like x 1
  6. 878606

878606 Member

I run vanilla version of my game too also never had any crashes in 11 years of playing the game, what i found is try keep your installation as clean as possibel and with a fewer Dlc installed it does the trick, i never have to many reskins installed and if i have at any time some i do make sure they are installed properly with no missing Geox. Files, every time a finish a scenario or even before start a game a do cache clean up just to make sure, and it does the trick so far so good :) the fact the engine is old it does need a few tricks as mention above just to minimise the crashes....

7. PuuvillaneMats

PuuvillaneMats Member

Absolutley no. Example: I'm running the same scenario 4 times and it works from the start till the end, no problems. Then fifth time I try to open the same scenario and program crashes. Next time it runs perfectly again. And so on. I just open editor and try to rename my scenario ... and my computer restarts ... There's a question of stability and memory issues. I didn't say that TS 20xx doesn't work at all, I said it's very unstable and the more addons You own the more unstable it gets. To run UK trains on UK routes without AP's enhancement packs ... it's absolute nonsense. DTG's stuff needs always rebuilding, completely new soundset, often even rebuilt physics and I never buy something for full price. For the reason that I have to pay separately for improved sounds anyway. Yes, there was a train model I bought for the full price - Class 370 ATP and that as much as I know was produced mostly buy 3rd party developers.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. frank351981

frank351981 Active Member

Then restart TS after driving the 4th scenario. At some point, especially at scenarios with a lot of KI traffic it can naturaly happen, that the RAM is full, even if 64bit. That you can after a crash drive normally again, it is no wonder, this is while TS has be started new and the RAM has cleared a little bit.
    When PC restarts only by renaming a scenario - I would assume that then something has gone wrong for example, typed a wrong character that TS not like, scenario has some corrupt files/content, something wrong installed or whatever. If may be toroughly fatal when clicking the menüs to early, before TS has loaded all complete (for exaplme first loading the QD menü takes some long time), or by clicking to early before something has safed (working in editor, safe it, clicking to early your tracks.bin is trash).
    For myself I can say: TS runs since 64bit very stable. Only rare crashes happend, but because either I worked long or intense in the editor, drive long runs / /heavy traffic scenarios (and then let it be a very detailed route) or other programs are running in the background which uses enough RAM too. I have a very lot routes installed + AP + some Freeware stuff, and it works all fine for 99,9%

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If I do xxx it crashes
    Don't do xxx
    Are you running Windowed, Full Screen or Borderless?
    Windowed is a very good way to make it crash

10. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

zefreak you are not alone - I've had it crash in the same circumstances you describe with no DLC loaded at all from a fresh clean install. I have found a periodic freshen up by unsubscribing from Workshop content, minimising my list of DLC to what I'm actually using and getting Steam to do its file integrity check can be useful.

Anyone who builds scenarios knows the pit falls - sometimes I can go in and out of the editor 20 times and run a scenario end to end with no issues at all and sometimes it simply explodes. It isn't reasonable that the game does this. You should never be able to undertake the actions provided by a program's UI and have it catch fire fall over and sink into the swamp.

I agree 749006 it can be very hard to pinpoint this sort of the problem, I would be very happy to run a logging debug version and reproduce problems to provide enough information to fix them but this isn't available to us mortals.

Paul

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I seem to find that if I play more than two scenarios together then the game might crash.

I ran one a few days ago then decided to change something I did not like swapping the AI for something better.
    I changed it ok but on saving the Scenario crashed
    When I restarted the Scenario it had saved the changes and worked with different AI.

I will close the game down and restart between long scenarios and/or over large routes

Peter

• Like Like x 1