Nahverkehr Dresden: Route Very Good, Timetable Not So Good

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Task, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Task

Task Well-Known Member

It's a real shame. You delivered a pretty nice route to us. The scenery is awesome and you improved many other things (night lighting, signals and signs etc).

There is one big problem with the add-on though: The timetable.
    Sadly the timetable has a number of problems, I will point out the most pressing.
    • Straight out gamebreaking bugs like not spawning on the service but at a random station or having to wait at a red signal very long / forever.
    • The timetable doesn't feel very much like Rush Hour. How can you do a Rush Hour timetable and forget the S1 Rush Hour services? The route could also use some other services like the RB 45 (AI only; was running with 143 and Dostos a little while ago afaik) and way more freight.
    • The destinations are a complete mess (empty destinations and missing off world destinations). Most of that will likely get fixed in the Meißen update though.
    • Overall the timetable has some poor design choices.
      • Way too short setup times: How are you supposed to setup everything in 15-20 seconds?
      • Unrealistic stop and start times: At almost all stops you have to stop at something like 10:22:34 which is completely unrealistic and as those times are likely generated there isn't much buffer time to keep up with delays.
      • Some go via points are set pretty problematic shortly after the pre signal for example. This way when running with PZB you have to acknowledge them (and slow down) only to have the signal turn green after going over the marker.
      • There are many wait times at signals that make generate delays.
      • The portal services open the doors again after the player already closed the doors (Detailed post: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/nahverkehr-dresden-portal-services-open-doors-again.45932/)
      • Overall the times between the stations don't consider running with PZB which gets you delayed pretty often.

After the rather good timetable for Hamburg - Lübeck I really hoped we would get a good one for this route too. Sadly I was disappointed with that.

Do you have some more timetable feedback too? Feel free to add some points in here.

• Like Like x 16
  2. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Can you give me some examples of the go-via point issues?

3. Task

Task Well-Known Member

4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It is a shame we have so little time to get the trains set up and then have the timings of each station guessed by the computer, meaning that safety systems can make us seriously late. We are currently set up to fail, even though in most cases we can still earn a gold medal, it would be nice to be set up to win so we don’t feel overly rushed going from station to station. I feel like I’m always going max throttle to max brakes to keep on time, which obviously isn’t how a safety conscious driver should behave at the controls of such a heavy, powerful vehicle.

It’s also frustrating that at some stations (TSW in general) there’s an excessive wait (due to the poor timings) whereas at other stations there is simply not enough time to even sneeze. It can be quite stressful trying to keep to schedule.

• Like Like x 8
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I have to admit, this route deserves a slightly better Timetable. It is good, but not outstanding. BR o7
    these problems do not overwhelm, but...

• Like Like x 1
  6. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Im just not seeing these timetable errors, I drive with SIFA, PZB and no HUD. I get only the odd 1-2km/hr over speeds yet I still arrive at all stations either on time or a min or so early, unless Ive made an error or been slow to exit a station,

I do accept that theres the occassional go via which will produce a red signal procedding it, but it never causes any delay or detract from the immersion, indeed on most occassion it breaks up the monotomy of green clear signals.

• Like Like x 1
  7. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

The go-via points are annoying but I guess it’s a way to artificially create some more adverse signals like we all suggested.

It also helps as the signaller doesn't seem to allocate a route until you have passed the ‘go-via’ point and thus other trains have the opportunity to slip in front of you giving you some interesting runs following a slower train.
    Without the go-via points and without a proper priority system, almost all trains will wait for the player train.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Task

Task Well-Known Member

That's completely fine for me but I think it ruins immersion when you acknowledge the signal and a second later it turns green. I really like this approach of another train being able to take your route but please make it a little more realistic.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

Tbf I have done quite a lot of services (117) and I didnt have much problems with delay. Biggest delay on a passenger train I got was like 10 minutes because of a freight train running ahead.