Train Sim World 2 - London Commuter First Screens!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Sep 17, 2021.

1. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Hopefully in theory it should be better than Dresden for example - which has a plethora of rolling stock - considering a majority of the vast BML timetable will be from just two trains - hopefully not draining the memory.

They look great, but I really want to see if the destination boards can display two destinations simultaneously for splitting services.

Also, I really don't like the empty carriage Victoria carriage sidings, hugely breaks immersion, especially when we know we have the actual Southeastern stock which could go there. Couldn't they have at least introduced static trains (wasn't that used on Boston Sprinter?). With the amount of trains on the BML route, I really hope Lovers Walk and Selhurst depots are not completely empty too in the day, all these trains have to go somewhere out of rush hour and hopefully not disappear through a portal.

• Like Like x 3
  2. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Also I managed to find a photo in my collection taken from an almost identical position as one of the screenshots, for those who like comparing and contrasting. :)

67069.jpg

Screenshot (515).png

• Like Like x 22
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. cloudyskies21

Oh wow, fantastic image!

DTG take note of the Southeastern trains in the carriage sidings for greater immersion, anything's better than being just empty!

• Like Like x 2
  4. jackthelad258

jackthelad258 Active Member

I would rather have DTG focus more on the trains and immediate surroundings i.e. track, stations etc. than whether cranes are wonky or not to be honest. I don’t know why that is such a big issue for some people on here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I think this has been intentionally left empty for this image, as some users may think that the SE stock comes with the route by default.

It'll only feature if you have the DLC for it, of course.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. cloudyskies21

Actually that's a fair point. I hope at least a bit of effort has gone into making the sheds not always empty for those who bought the DLC. For me, small details like that make the route feel more alive.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

So, will 1 do?

8. SprattyHeath

SprattyHeath Well-Known Member

That surely cannot be true, did absolutely nobody take a step back during development and think "Yeah Reigate looks accurate with some random block of flats" if so, that's an all new low for TSW2...

• Like Like x 3
  9. cloudyskies21

If one can only be included, then I'd still say yes. I think it would look more realistic than being completely empty.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

Problems with cranes and empty sheds or not, this will be a far cry from the old Europeanbahn version on MSTS with the 377 sounding like a cat on heat. Definitely can't wait for this one :D

11. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

I've heard of "blockouts in levels, to get an idea of scale and function before putting down the actual assets and decorating an area. In a situation where your objective as a level designer is to get it looking like it's real world counterpart, and you don't have to worry about scale or layout, I have never heard of level designers putting in real assets in an area temporarily. Why would they? It's a waste of time.

• Like Like x 2
  12. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

A fine msts route, played the heck out of that one and was never really sure why as it was a bit… clinical to be honest

just wish this version would have the same variety of branches and sub routes

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

Don't get me wrong, I loved it too and played it to death, loved doing a full length run from Victoria down to Portsmouth. Well, until the game messed up and gave me a permanent red before my last stop...

Who knows, one day we'll be able to do that again, fingers crossed.

14. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Has there been any info on whether the class 66 will be useable on this route?
    Eg Crawley foster yeoman, Purley foster yeoman, Ardingly Hanson aggregates, maybe a continuation of the Newhaven day aggregates from keymer jn?

Would be viable to run these and terminate at Clapham junction where trains would usually then go to Kensington Olympia for Acton.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

The foliage on all routes really has been downgraded since Great Western Express. That and Sand Patch Grade look significantly better than all subsequent routes; some of which look downright ugly and bare.
    From my experience building routes, a temporary asset in a lot of cases is a good idea as seeing it reminds you something needs changing, while no asset at all doesn't mostly. For example, if you plan on adding a tractor in a field, placing an asset - a truck or something in this example - would remind you the next time you see it that you planned on putting a tractor there.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Have you seen Clinchfield?

• Like Like x 1
  17. londonmidland

New sounds confirmed for the Class 377 and 387. 53D6403E-AC0F-4313-8D69-DB73E0984937.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  18. londonmidland

Bear in mind new sounds won’t automatically mean better sounds. The mixing of sounds has a lot to do with it, so the sound engineer will need to make sure they have done an adequate job of it. This means they’ll have to make sure the appropriate sounds play and sound in the right places and at the right time.

• Like Like x 2
  19. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Right, this is what "blocking out" is. Instead of a truck, you place a white box (something that will automatically look out of place even at first glance) so you don't miss it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

AP Sounds :D

• Like Like x 1
  21. londonmidland

Not confirmed where the new recordings came from at this moment.

Bear in mind the older Electrostar sounds were from AP but sounded poor due to the mixing/the way DTG sound engineers set it up.

So don’t get too excited before you’ve actually heard what it sounds like.

• Like Like x 2
  22. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

This news makes me nervously excited. Nervous, because in my opinion the current 377 stationary sounds, excluding the passenger doors opening/closing, are spot on. The internal air conditioning 'whir' and the external idle 'hum' and random noises are perfect. I really hope they don't mess with those too much.

The biggest improvements to the 377 could be changes to acceleration/deceleration sounds and 'run' sounds which currently are quite poor compared to the real thing, which I have travelled on countless times. Really excited to hear the 387 sounds too. Hopefully they have got them both from AP and are implemented by a good sound engineer.

• Like Like x 7
  23. taybarker20

taybarker20 Active Member

Didn’t AP make a electrostar pack resently

24. jackthelad258

jackthelad258 Active Member

DTG JD Can you confirm if we will experience these new sounds on the class 377 for the East Coastway route too or is it just for the Brighton Mainline route?

• Like Like x 1
  25. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Not on release - it'd be for the London Commuter when we launch it. It'd be something for Adam's Preserved Crew to take a look at, so we'd need to scope it out with them. It's a new version of the loco, similar to the BR143 on Dresden not being the same on Ruhr-Seig Nord at present.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  26. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Correct - these have been sourced from Armstrong Powerhouse.

• Like Like x 17
  27. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

Great to see AP sounds returning, again hope they get mixed well!

I noticed the BTP building is missing from the ingame screenshot, which is just out of shot in your photo. Should be next to those 2 sidings instead of that blue garage. Have fed this back to JD so hopefully should get some attention before release also.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

After listening to the AP 387 sound pack in my opinion they sound very synthesised and the traction motors cut out too early before the train comes to a stop, but I am happy that you've partnered with AP again.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Southern Driver

Southern Driver Active Member

Should a 170/171 be in the offing at some point I’m happy to assist with images. The advantage of a 170/171 is that they are used quite extensively around the country so might be useful for other routes in due course.
    I will also be casting a close eye on this route as I know it rather well from the day job.

• Like Like x 5
  30. Doomotron

The 171s don't run on much of the route, or ECW for that matter. DTG have no reason to develop a 171 unless they add an extension to London Bridge.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Or Uckfield.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  32. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Although not part of the route per se, I am just wondering if we will get to see the Croydon and Crystal Palace Arqiva transmission masts from East Croydon and surrounding areas?
    These two masts are a key landmark in the area and have been for many years and can be seen for miles.
    Screenshot_20210925-165828_Google.jpg
    Croydon Transmitter Tower
    Screenshot_20210925-165859_Google.jpg
    Crystal Palace Transmitter Tower

• Like Like x 5
  33. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

The shard should also be visible at some point coming into London also if i remember correctly

• Like Like x 4
  34. Southern Driver

5F96 runs Sunday to Friday from Selhurst Depot to Eastbourne via Brighton.
    5F97 runs Sunday to Friday from Eastbourne to Selhurst Depot via Brighton.
    Both trains have a crew change at East Croydon and are formed of a 4-car Class 171.

Until May 2018 the Class 171 units operated between Ashford & Brighton.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. Southern Driver

There are Class 455s on the route, if DTG or Rivet want to produce one then please get in touch.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  36. Doomotron

That would be better for a completely separate route. At least with adding London Bridge they can have Thameslink services from Brighton and Preston Park to London Bridge.
    So pretty much nothing worth adding.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Southern Driver

i presume the people asking for London Bridge appreciate just complicated that would be to model? London Bridge to just shy of Bricklayers Arms has 11 lines, mostly reversible, then there is the line via South Bermondsey Junction to include. Want to include Selhurst Depot as well? The largest maintenance depot in the UK. I shall be interested to see how much of it you can see from the BML.

back to the 171, the fact that until recently it ran on the entirety of East Coastway route does not make it worth making?

• Like Like x 4
  38. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

I think you may be a bit disappointed passing three bridges Thameslink depot then haha

• Like Like x 3
  39. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

Can only hope we get a class 700 DLC in the future! I mean, Southern, Gatwick Express and Thameslink are all owned by the same head company, Govia, so while I won't say it'll be easy to get a Thameslink licence, they already have connections and licences from Govia, so it should be easier than a new operator to get the licence. And I think the Brighton Mainline is the perfect route for it to be released for. And ofc, it can also layer onto SEHS too. So if we don't see a class 700 DLC at some point, I'll be quite surprised and disappointed, although I'd understand if they didn't get the licence, but I think I will see it at some point. Only question is when, because ofc, it's not on the roadmap atm, so I wouldn't anticipate it being too soon.

• Like Like x 4
  40. Clumsy Pacer

I've seen this a lot, and I'd just like to say something:
    They've held First Great Western, First Capital Connect and Avanti licences, all owned or partly owned by FirstGroup - ever wondered why they've never made a TPE 185, or TPE 350?
    It's entirely possible Thameslink is treat as a separate company to SN/GX by both parties, so starting from square one, regardless of previous comms.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Ant Craft

Yeah, you may have a point actually. We can only hope though, because as I said, it'd be a real shame if we didn't get a Thameslink class 700 DLC for BML.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Doomotron

Not if the route is set after 2018. It also doesn't help that the Ashford to Brighton services only had two intermediate stops on the route, so it would be a bit pointless to model a class of train with significant differences to the other Turbostars for a small section of a service that no longer exists.

43. Ant Craft

If I heard correctly, the timetable they've set the route on is the 2019 Summer timetable, but I could be mistaken.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. taybarker20

taybarker20 Active Member

No class 442 dlc then if it’s in 2019:(

45. cloudyskies21

Ha, don't worry, I'm not too worried about that. Trains that have already been made and, thus exist, should fill empty sidings where able. On the other hand, we don't have the 700 available, so there's nothing we can yet be disappointed about. :D

I'm really hoping the 700 can be a future DLC, then we'd be seeing this beautiful 700, 387 and 313 trio on London Commuter (and hopefully ECW if that route gets a timetable/AI update) at Brighton together! :love: I took this picture from a 313 bound for Seaford back in June.
    IMG_20210602_112729.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  46. billyisitt

billyisitt Member

You should be able to see the shard around Clapham junction station in real life so hopefully you can see it in the game also

• Like Like x 2
  47. Clumsy Pacer

Isn't the Shard in Bakerloo (on PC anyway, I don't think it renders on the consoles)? If so I think we can be pretty sure it'll be here.

48. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

It should be on consoles now as the BKL update got released with the core upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

With the stream being cancelled for tonight it would of been good to see some more info on the BML.

• Like Like x 1
  50. londonmidland

That was for yesterday, not today?

• Helpful Helpful x 1