Train Sim World 2 - Electrostar Duet

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Sep 23, 2021.

1. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

I know this is a rather minor thing to touch upon in the grand scheme of things, but I wonder if there will be improvements made to the TMS screens on the Electrostars? Perhaps working CCTV screens, maybe? If I'm not mistaken, there's various functions that the driver can control via the TMS, such as air conditioning, saloon lights, dial illumination, etc.
    It would be nice to mess around with these things on those hour-long journeys between London and Brighton.
    Judging by the fact that on the screenshot below it's turned off (it's turned on all the time by default in the current implementation on TSW), maybe this is hinting at some changes? Or perhaps maybe I'm reading too much into a simple screenshot? :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  2. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

Was wondering if Joe Joethefish could also be on the stream on Friday, after all he is the genius and absolute legend behind the Brighton Mainline timetable and I gather he lives quite local to the route so he could give some local knowledge about the route. If not, I understand.

• Like Like x 11
  3. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I think we should expect the basic functioning of TMS like what we got with ECW & SEHS, so basically just PIS.

On board systems have been neglected to such a point in TSW that I don’t think we will ever see functioning systems which is pretty poor considering they would add a lot of simulation value to the start up procedures. Every time Matt mentions them not being worth it, that makes me question the entire vision for TSW.

At minimum these screens should be populated but static, look at Ebula on German trains for example, it’s not implemented but at least the screen is switched on so that the cab feels more alive.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 16
  4. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

German route bias by chance? ; )

• Like Like x 2
  5. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see what we can look forward to.

6. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I’m not expecting it. I would have liked to have seen it.
    In no way am I expecting it. I now understand that DTG said they would add Meißen, and then didn’t into the final addition. Apologies if this is how it came across

• Like Like x 1
  7. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

DTG had it - and the Airport Branch - in the Original Scope for Dresden.

Then they were removed.

Then they said Meißen would come as a post-release patch.

8. taybarker20

taybarker20 Active Member

I wonder if the pis in the 377 and 387 will be scrolling in the carriages

• Like Like x 1
  9. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Hopefully

• Like Like x 1
  10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Matt is now Exec Producer, so his vision IS the vision for TSW...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Southern Driver

Southern Driver Active Member

screen to the left is MITRAC which controls the passenger information system, train and cab air conditioning, shows doors status and formation length along with various other bits and pieces. The screens to the right are the DOO monitors which show the platform via the body side cameras.
    For the purposes of the game the 377/387 should be much the same except for a couple of differences with the positioning of the DOO monitor and the 387 will of course have TPWS v4 which talks to you.

with regards making the cab ‘feel more alive’ a static picture of a generic platform appearing on those DOO monitors when a door release is given would help do that.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  12. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Aye, having actual functioning CCTV would be excessively resource intensive, just a simple image or basic animation be be good enough for me

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I completely agree. The IDU and the DOO monitors don’t do much at all on TSW2.
    I like the static picture idea, and then having the change over toggle to change the image around between the two monitors? Might be too complicated.

A partially functioning GSM-R would also be very pleasant too. Even if it was just registering/de-registering into the system?

• Like Like x 3
  14. Southern Driver

A static image was all we used in the actual train driver training simulators to similar platform duties anyway!! It will be interesting to see if anything is shown on the station platform based DOO monitors.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Southern Driver

With regards the GSMR, all that’s needed there is a ‘bleep bleep’ when if you interact with it. The game is just a game and not a full on driver training simulator remember, but there are some (I presume) easy enough ways to make it seem that little bit more real.

• Like Like x 3
  16. billyisitt

billyisitt Member

They’ve shown in screenshots that the pis on the side of the trains move but I would like to know if they will move inside the carriages if so that would also be awesome!

• Like Like x 3
  17. billyisitt

billyisitt Member

I would also like to know if we will be able to use all of the southern London Victoria platforms 9-19 and not just a couple and of course 1-8 platforms are for southeastern it would be great to see if all 8 of them platforms were full with ai trains also

• Like Like x 2
  18. Southern Driver

platform 8 can be used by both Southern & Southeastern. If platforms 8-12 aren’t available that’s a very poor show.

• Like Like x 7
  19. billyisitt

billyisitt Member

I wonder how much of London Victoria you will be able to walk around does anyone have an idea?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

Good idea!

• Like Like x 11
  21. ARuscoe

Wouldn't be surprised if it's only the southern side that's modelled. No real reason to be able to wander all the way round both sides unless they want to have the SE side as a viewing gallery

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. billyisitt

billyisitt Member

I was disappointed with how little you can walk around st Pancras international so I’m hoping you can walk around London Victoria abit more than that

• Like Like x 6
  23. ARuscoe

Not sure what benefit it brings, and all it would mean is you end up with a lot of things that don't wok (or suck up dev time)
    The reason you couldn't walk through a lot of STP is because once you get past the SE gateline there's nothing much going on relevant to SE operations, and given they don't have TL, EMR, Eurostar etc in game this would leave all those screens and systems unpopulated.
    The same would be pretty much true of VIC unless they put the time into populating all the PIS screens on two concourses, plus every platform

• Like Like x 2
  24. First capital connect

First capital connect Well-Known Member

It's probably going to be like paddington where you can walk around all the platforms apart from the ones that aren't used by the TOC
    So paddington had all platforms apart from the LU platforms
    And St Pancras has a weird layout which prevents you from going to other platforms unless you go down the escalators which DTG won't model for clear reasons and SE don't use the others
    I reckon we will get to use platform 12 up to platform 19 only because the trains on 8-12 are for West croydon/epsom/mitcham services mainly but we will find out soon
    As no

• Like Like x 1
  25. ARuscoe

If you have a look at the station map for VIC (posted below) you'll see there's three "steps" of platforms, with 8-13, 14&15 and 16-19 being removed from each other. It would be easiest to model 14/15 - 19 rather than 12-19 because of that gap.
    The gateline for 08-13 is one big wide gap (I was sat outside it eating a BK at midnight on Friday)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. billyisitt

billyisitt Member

Tbh with you I love exploring more than doing all the tasks and things so I’ve walked around the station so many times irl I would love to just be able to explore on the game and walk around the station lol but where ever it allows you to go as far as I will be happy whatever because I’m so excited for this route it will be all I’m playing once it’s out lol

• Like Like x 1
  27. ARuscoe

That's fine, but DTG would have to spend a lot of time to get it right, and it's not a "train station simulator" after all.
    I like walking around stations as much as anyone, but not in game per se

• Like Like x 2
  28. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

I take a slightly different view to you on this - I think it's better in the long run for them to model the whole terminus. Ultimately you're going to be able to see the vast majority of it anyway, and it will save them a lot of hassle if they for instance decide to build the Chatham Main Line in the future (which I think is almost a given at some point, especially now that both ends of it are already modelled in-game).

Furthermore, as already pointed out - it's nice to be able to walk around the place a bit and get the full 'terminus' effect, especially when trains are coming and going all over the place like they should be at Victoria with the SE layers. If anything, I'd like to be able to explore a little bit more, even if the modelling is relatively basic - one of my favourite parts of the oft-maligned Arosalinie is being able to walk around the whole lake in Arosa on arrival.

Nonetheless the discussion is a bit of a moot point now as whatever is done is done - only need to wait until Friday to find out one way or the other!

• Like Like x 11
  29. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

DTG Natster has a decision been made on what loco will be streamed on Friday ?

• Like Like x 1
  30. ARuscoe

The whole terminus (in Victoria's case) is huge, and unless you're catching a train from Platform 1 (which is on the far side and half way up the station away from the Southern side), you wouldn't see it from where you're going to be in that DLC
    You may well see the vast majority of trains, but it depends on how they "cut the station". If it's cut at the centre (ie where staff often but barriers anyway in busy period to stop overcrowding between the two sections of station) then you could easily cut off one from the other
    If they do decide to build the CML (god forbid, it's a boring line bar the part we already have...) Then the map tile would be a different file, so they'd need to copy and build it up either way

But yeah, this is all a moot point for what we have NOW, but hopefully they can expand on it when they build the (yawn) CML rather than doing something interesting like the North Kent lines or South Wales Metro

31. billyisitt

billyisitt Member

I totally agree with you I’d love to be able to sit and watch all of the platforms including the southeastern platforms all day lol it would be awesome if we could be able to explore the whole station

• Like Like x 4
  32. First capital connect

I agree with you about the modelling
    The only thing I have to say is platform 14&15 share the gateline with platform 13
    You have to go through those gatelines and walk up to the platform instead of walking round to where platforms 16-19 are
    But you can go to platform 15 from platform 16
    Screenshot_20210928-162210_Chrome.jpg
    You can see the little dash which is a plastic screen which separates the platforms

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. ARuscoe

So easier to model 16-19 or 13-19 than all of them

• Like Like x 1
  34. First capital connect

Yh

35. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

With us getting SE layers I really really hope we can access the platforms, still want to jump on the train as a passenger even if its goes off map! Even better if the concourse is accessible and has some passenger activity. If not I hope someone can mod out any invisible walls.

Looking forward to Friday and hope to get some answers to some of these burning questions!

• Like Like x 2
  36. First capital connect

I doubt you will be able to use the SE (what ever the government is calling it now since its take over today)platforms as there is no real need to but for PC uses I'm sure someone will mod it so you can

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. Mkdog45

I personally think what Matt would do is 387 VIC to BTN to show off the new one first and then 377 on the Reigate branch. Which in total is 1h.40m

• Like Like x 5
  38. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I don't think it is as simple as that otherwise we would be getting a 'VR is coming' on the roadmap.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. moofeen#2182

moofeen#2182 Active Member

It’s dtg they’re not gonna do that

40. Southern Driver

Has an actual release date been given?

41. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

Not expressly. Sam said in the last roadmap stream that it almost made it into Next Release -- which would imply two weeks to release. So quite possibly October 14.

• Like Like x 2
  42. James Sideras

James Sideras New Member

Well, the next roadmap is next Tuesday which could mean 7th or 14th for release as it should go to next arrival

• Like Like x 1
  43. ARuscoe

Of course it's not as simple as that/ DTG wouldn't actually put the person with power on a stream because then they wouldn't be able to say "I don't know" (Because it would be their job to know)

• Like Like x 1
  44. seancrabtree2003

seancrabtree2003 Active Member

wonder if we get the southern pride livery. will add a bit to the game spotting for it

• Like Like x 4
  45. First capital connect

Or the NHS livery

• Like Like x 2
  46. Mkdog45

I don’t think we would get the NHS one because that 377 111 and the /1 that are being used start at 140 because of the new headlight cluster

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

depends on who went, if they blocked it and flushed anyway?!

48. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Hopefully they will fix this before they released it, i don't see any PIS on Platform at all. Did they miss this?

• Like Like x 1
  49. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Who is Joe?

• Like Like x 2
  50. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Whilst Matt likely does have a serious say on the road ahead, things that he wants may not always sh
    There is at least one: Screenshot_20210929_173532.jpg