Thoughts On Hauptstrecke Rhein-ruhr & Br 101?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by TimTri, Sep 29, 2021.

1. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I’ve been thinking about getting HRR and the 101 for a long time now. The loco seems to get great reviews across the board, and I really like the urban vibe of the route with its two included passenger EMUs. MSB would also add additional passenger & freight services, apparently turning it into a very busy route. What do you think? Is that a good combination of route + loco DLC?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I really like HRR. In my view it’s a must have route. It’s not a long route by any means, but it’s fun and that’s the main thing.

• Like Like x 8
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Go for it \o/

• Like Like x 5
  4. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

HRR is a pretty short route, but it's a pretty interesting run, with plenty of stops but also high speeds to achieve in between stops. Plenty of traffic on the route IMO. Really, the only downside is it being pretty short.

I don't have the 101, can't judge that one. Not sure why one would add an intercity train to a route that already is too short for regional and S-bahn services.

• Like Like x 4
  5. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

That sounds perfect! Thanks for the replies, everyone!

• Like Like x 4
  6. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

The 101 is my favourite loco so far, high quality
    Will play a 101 service in Dresden now

• Like Like x 5
  7. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

The route is fun to drive and has a number of good services to drive with and without the 101:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14YgilvnKZFc7TJXyqftRJ0I5yTMlMf81/view?usp=sharing

However, even if the route weren’t good, I would still get it just to have the 101, perhaps my single favorite locomotive in the game!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

HRR was Rush Hour before Rush Hour was released. If you have all of the additional layers - MSB for freight and 146+DoStos; Br 101 for the IC layer - the route is extremely busy with lots of adverse signals and parallel running. It's short, yes, but a fantastic experience.

That's not even mentioning that the 101 is by far the best German electric loco in the game right now :D

• Like Like x 5
  9. breblimator

breblimator Guest

+1

With Essen as the busiest station in the game at the moment (Boston South with AI scenery trains is probably busier!).

• Like Like x 3
  10. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I genuinely couldn’t tell you what it is about the 101 but something is just lovely about it to drive. After driving I just want more opportunity to drive it.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I'll echo the positive reviews above. The 101 is my fave German loco for sure, and HRR is a great route with all layers running.

Speaking of HRR- haven't driven it in a while- has working PIS been added yet?

12. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

When HRR came out, it was my least favorite route. Over time, however, it became one of my favorite routes in TSW. There is dense traffic with all the layers and a good variety of services.

13. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

And it's good that DTG listened to us and layered it into Hamburg-Lübeck and Dresden-Riesa! I hope the next german route also gives the 101 again an opportunity to stretch it's beautifully made legs. Thanks for this high quality DLC!

• Like Like x 3
  14. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Its looks really good and I really want to buy it, but can someone justify to me why I should pay £25.00 for a preserved collection DLC & a further £12.00 for the loco when I can buy more modern DLC for the same price? Is it as good (or better) as the more modern stuff?

I do have MSB, RSB & Dresden so should I buy this at full price rather than say HHL, HMA or CCL or wait and grab this in a sale? Id really wish they'd do a bundle of HRR and the 101 to help sway me.

15. redtrainz

redtrainz Active Member

I really like driving HRR, but due to the shortness I agree that full price for the route plus DLC is a bit much.
    Shortness aside, I think as a route it's really good. Two branches depending on the service you're driving. A frequent stop S-Bahn service and a four-stop express service, plus the layers. Even the RSN DLC (BR 155) layers onto it. You can drive the express service without the HUD from the get-go, as signals slow you down before each station except for Wattenscheid, where you just have to remember that it's at kilometre 9,6. Above all: the route looks really good as you whizz along the multiple tracks. The 50s style of the large stations almost makes it a mix of two eras visually (since this is Germany's industrial hub, you can guess why the stations are not older than the 50s).

• Like Like x 2
  16. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

HRR is a nice route, but as you say, you could buy HMA for the same price and I think that is better than HRR not because HRR is bad at all but because HMA is newer and includes more service variety.

The DB BR101 is, for me, the best rolling stock DLC in TSW2 and I would pay full price for it any day of the week. The problem is that you need HRR to use it.

So, my suggestion for you is wait until HRR is discounted and buy it and the DB BR101. There is a high chance the DB BR101 will be discounted at the same time. In that case you will save some more money, but even if it is not discounted I think you can pay full price and it will still be a good purchase.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  17. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

HRR is a case of I could take it or leave it, the route is nice enough and it is quite busy but it’s really too short, whilst length isn’t something I’ve come to expect of TSW, the issue on this route is the lack of length is compounded by the fact that of the 2 end stations of the line, neither of them are true terminus stations, so you don’t really feel asif you’re doing anything with any real purpose on the route.

The 101 however is great, especially on Riesa Dresden as you can stretch its legs. It is well modelled, has great sounds, the weathering and paint finish are really good, and it’s such a nice experience to drive, and honestly it makes HRR worth it just for the ‘opportunity’ to buy this loco.

• Like Like x 1
  18. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Actually, you don't need HRR to use the 101 on both HBK & DRA ! UNOFFICIAL !

:) Plus...

Full layered MAG = $ MSB RRO HRR & MAG
    Full layered HRR = $ MSB 101 & HRR // with the 101 layered into HBK and DRA

PS choose your destiny / it is just a matter of shopping sequence :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  19. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I've already shared my thoughts on the matter HERE if anyone is interested.

In a few words, it's definitely a great purchase, and one (if not the) best TSW loco DLC.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I rather like HRR, despite its compact size, simply because it has possibly the best timetable of any German route before Reisa-Dresden, and arguably better than RD if you like freight. Almost always some adverse signals and PZB exercises.

(NB: this only really applies if you have all the DLC needed to have all the layers active; the base route is underpopulated).

EDIT: Oh, and the BR 101 is perhaps the finest locomotive creation in all of TSW. HRR is worth getting simply so that you can run the 101

• Like Like x 3
  21. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

This is no longer the case. The DB BR 101 can be used without owning HRR as of the 4.26 update. I can't prove this with the DB BR 101 specifically since I already own both, but here's an example with the Class 20 on WSR:
    upload_2021-9-29_13-17-40.png f0d62421-d698-41f0-8cdf-8a7c409ef380.jpg

As you can see, it shows up and is useable in the game, however I don't own TVL:
    upload_2021-9-29_13-18-52.png upload_2021-9-29_13-19-5.png

As you can see, locomotive DLCs are now useable in-game even without the home route. :)

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The 101 works without HRR (PC). I checked a minute ago ;)

• Like Like x 2
  23. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Looks like a PC post 4.26 anomaly... that shows... it is possible :) ! UNOFFICIAL !

• Like Like x 1
  24. Callum B.

Thanks for the info. I wonder how this has happened, on PC specifically. Perhaps it is somehow related to Denuvo?

Cheers

25. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Its possible now, but whos to say they wont fix the issue in a later update? Not that I think they'd delibrately do it, but Id imagine that you'd have no comeback if you purchased the 101 without HRR and then a week later it stopped working. Afterall the steam store (and Id imagine Epic - not that I will use Epic to confirm) clearly states the following

Please note: Train Sim World 2: Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr: Duisburg - Bochum Route Add-On is required, as a separate purchase, in order to utilise the content featured in this add-on.

Unless we get official comment that this change is indeed intended and wont be reversed then personally I wont be making a purchase.

• Like Like x 1
  26. breblimator

breblimator Guest

If it is different on the consoles than on the PC - it is probably not a silent surprise, but a bug.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  27. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Hmmm- should I "rent" the 182 then? Never got it because I have no interest in RT.

28. Callum B.

I would give it a try and see how you like it. It's a decent locomotive but it has started to show its age a bit in terms of cab AO and sounds. It is worth noting that it currently breaks the Dresden timetable because AI 182s are unable to open the Doppelstock doors. At the moment I have it uninstalled until that issue is fixed.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  29. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There may be experiments going on that detach the loco DLC from ‘home routes’ and that may also be part of what’s causing the issues with routes not appearing and certain crashes on the Playstations at present. That’s my guess, and until everything is working as planned and official, it’s best not to encourage any players to conduct experiments that involve purchasing things that may not work now or at any time in the future.

• Like Like x 3
  30. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Would be great if I could buy the 101 on PS4 but I'm not going to as I won't be forced into HRR, I own Dresden & would love to use it on that!

31. Heerenrailfan92

Heerenrailfan92 Active Member

HRR is a little short but a very fun route, plus the 101 is probably my favorite loco in germany

• Like Like x 2