Train Sim World 2 - On The Way To St Ives

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Sep 29, 2021.

1. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

To be fair I suspect no one could “get the job done” to your standards since you literally only seem to exist for the sole purpose to complain about literally everything in TSW.

What’s curios is that you’re easily the most disappointed member of the community, yet you’re still here?

• Like Like x 30
  2. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

You do have a point.

• Like Like x 13
  3. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Very nice surprise! I honestly didn’t expect screenshots until late 2021/early 2022. The train looks nice, scenery is good as well. Just hoping they give this route a bit of breathing space and don’t release it directly after Brighton Main Line - players will be busy with that one for a while!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I also hope RG can get level crossings working . Unsynchronised doors would also be a welcome addition

• Like Like x 1
  5. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I don’t think it would struggle to compete with BML to be honest, there is a big chunk of community waiting for some pre 2000’s British Diesel action.

A lot of people here taking issue with the scenery is to be expected, personally I have given up that fight as TSW as a concept doesn’t seem too interested in getting that side of things right.

Personally I look forward to the BML and the 387, but I see myself getting much more play out of the 150.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

In the static screenshot, the water does look better than that odd seascape in IOW, but the waves don't look very natural in motion (thanks Anthony). I don't know what it is about water in general, but nobody seems able to get it right.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

So far I am very impressed by how far along this route is and the 150/2 looks fantastic the scenery could do with a little bit of work but so far it looks really good and I like that rivet have put a lot of effort into getting reference material and including more gameplay like refueling. Looking forward to seeing the route previewed on stream.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Not that bad, going by the screenshots, but there is definitely room for improvement there. As mentioned above, the beach looks way too muddy and the scenery could be much closer to the real thing. I mean noone is expecting 100% accuracy for every single house, if you're placing buildings anyway, you could place them to their correct location, and choose ones that look more like the real ones.

Also it's clear that this is a Rivet route looking at the textures, it's all just repeating textures and there is no weathering on them. Everything looks to clean and a bit cartoony.

One thing that's nice is the actual rockwork on the beaches, that actually looks pretty good. And looking forward to an improved sea water, though it's still not there yet. I hate how it just disappears in the distance, instead of having a proper horizon, like seas do.

• Like Like x 3
  9. schorni

schorni Well-Known Member

After they won't fix Arosa, I won't buy anything from Rivet.

• Like Like x 7
  10. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

At no point did they or DTG say the route would feature a HST or 47

• Like Like x 2
  11. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

apart from the comparison picture from londonmidland, I also must say that these repeated textures everywhere are an eyesore...

edit: maybe it is due to the render distance, so that the grass and flowers on the ground are not showing, so I will give the beneft of the doubt there

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I read the article, I like what I see, I come to the forum, the image of londonmidland appears and I definitely put my wallet away.
    It has the same resemblance as an egg and a chestnut.
    How lucky we are that there is a community that is always aware of everything and that shares it with the rest.
    Being Rivet and with all its precedents in TSW, if I buy it someday it will be at least 50% off.

• Like Like x 9
  13. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I still think that it looks terrible, In comparison to all the other routes that they made in the past, it is very low-quality work that they are doing. I don't think that i would be getting this route or any of the older routes soon UNTIL THEY REALLY Step up their game and give the fans what they really want, along with their quality of work.

• Like Like x 3
  14. JealousSheep768

JealousSheep768 Well-Known Member

The 150 looks far too clean. I can guarantee a regional railways train would not be that clean on an average day

• Like Like x 1
  15. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. neilwatson2007

neilwatson2007 Member

This is a route I'm very much looking forward to playing, being from the north west these are trains I've used many times.

Would be great if they could be utilsed for the NTP route too and drive them on the DMU services

• Like Like x 1
  17. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

If Rivet doesn't make the same mistake they did with the DB BR 204 you could remind the Preservation Team when Northern Trans-Pennine is overhauled.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  18. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

So far so good, at least as far as scenery is concerned. I was worried about the St Ives branch as it is so scenic and would be difficult to do it justice but it looks OK as do the stations and the sea is so much better than IOW. We just need some streams to get an idea of gameplay but this shouldn’t be until it is more or less ready for release.

I get the feeling that there is a contingent here that will find anything to criticise, whether justified or not, just because it is Rivet. The person complaining about the town of St Ives not being modelled accurately - don’t be silly. When are towns modelled in this game? It is a rail simulator and the detailed scenery only goes as far as what can be seen from the Railway. Have you looked outside Glasgow Central station on Cathcart Circle or St Pancras in SEHS? The only real problems I have with St Ives are the colour of the sand being too dark and that there doesn’t appear to be a station entrance/exit.

• Like Like x 5
  19. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Dont worry, there will be a weathering mod like for the cathcart 314. That kind of stuff is made kind of quick.

Made a weathered rusty livery of a class 483 and after 2 hours of work it was done.

20. Coastway trainspotter

However not everyone has access to mods

• Like Like x 2
  21. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

You are being a bit generous - nobody is expecting them to model entire cities, but you can clearly see buildings on the peninsula from the railway and it doesn't capture the feeling at all. It doesnt need to be a 1 to 1 layout for it to capture the feel of the area - two blocky apartment buildings is not it.

• Like Like x 10
  22. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent route but one more thing is missing it's actually the HST with Paxman Valenta engines

• Like Like x 8
  23. Warspite

Warspite Well-Known Member

Exactly. If there is no Valenta HST, what will be used for the Paddington-Penzance expresses?

• Like Like x 5
  24. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Who said these would be included?

Rivet Games are hardly the team that would be taking on a project as big as creating a route with a branch, including freight, creating the 150/2, and then basically making a HST from scratch, if you expected all of that you were only ever setting yourself up to be disappointed.

From the very beginning this DLC was called the West Cornwall Local.

• Like Like x 5
  25. Warspite

Yes, I agree they never said an HST would be included. But, can we have a route which runs from St Austell to Penzance without the Paddington-Penzance expresses?

• Like Like x 2
  26. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

So why don't you wait until its released before you put your thoughts up. You can't really tell alot from pictures.

Hentis

27. jackthelad258

jackthelad258 Active Member

The route looks decent but why does everything have to be set in the 90s i.e. not with the modern times? Would rather have the current GWR dark green livery, the 90s livery looks a bit bland. I also would’ve preferred a more modern Cornwall/Devon service with the focal point with the branch lines plus the mainline from say Penzance to Exeter with a mixture of class 800, HST, 150 and possibly the Voyagers (Cross Country services).

• Like Like x 7
  28. junior hornet

Don’t want much do you? :)

• Like Like x 7
  29. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

It says “WORK IN PROGRESS” in the bottom right corner for a reason chief.

In the other DLC which are still available for purchase? If you want the 43 and 47 so much then why don’t you shut up and buy them!

• Like Like x 5
  30. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

“Work in progress” might as well just say “finished” at this point. Almost nothing changes from the initial screenshots.

• Like Like x 9
  31. Coastway trainspotter

The 150 model might be created from the 314 , that’s only a guess though

32. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

In fairness, this is a route that I'd definitely be interested in, and if it was being made by DTG, it would be an easy purchase. Their routes and visuals have come a long way over the last couple of years with continual improvement so we have a level of expectation now.

Rivet are still right at the start of that journey and haven't shown any commitment to fixing issues in the routes they've already released so I'm going to be approaching this with caution. Early reviews will be key for this release so they need to have it nailed from the start.

• Like Like x 5
  33. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Doubt it. The differences are far too many and I think it's somewhat unlikely they'd use a DTG model.

• Like Like x 7
  34. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

I am really excited. Yes they have put trees in places they dont exist to create a barriers. The Penzance shot show what looks like a forest where its actually a large bus depot and carpark, but who cares?

St Ives is a collection of missfitting buildings, but it is in real life...their missfitting buildings are little more missfitting, but hey, lets be positive.

Lets see what its like to drive a 150/2 from St Erth to St Ives, and from Penzance to St Austell and back again. It should be fun!

I think if they put the HST on, we would all be frustrated at crawling it slowly between 55 and 75mph...

Sea is miles better than IOW, I am intrigued to see what they do in the Hayle estuary as that is a sand/mud pit at low tide...

We will get a contrast of the 150/2 of tootling along the branch line, to opening it up between the towns on the mainline.

All in all I am excited for something to promote Cornwall!

D

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  35. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Looks ok but some of the scenery looks a bit dark, such as the beach - Is that sand or mud?

• Like Like x 1
  36. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Sand texture looks like it was lifted from Trainz 2004.

• Like Like x 4
  37. jackthelad258

jackthelad258 Active Member

To be fair, a little bit of variety never hurts, does it?

• Like Like x 1
  38. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Well considering that the 2 are completely different in every single way barring the fact that they’re trains, I doubt that.

• Like Like x 5
  39. mldaureol2

mldaureol2 Well-Known Member

The Car Park needs to be expanded and the sand should be a lighter/ whiter colour otherwise it’s not too bad.
    Mike.

40. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

The same way that almost every other route in the game omits services and trains, we can.

It shouldn’t be new to anyone that a DLC is arriving with missing services and trains, I’m sure Rivet had a specific vision in mind when creating the DLC which is why they went with the 90’s era, instead of an era which would make the current HST passable.

Who knows, we may get a loco DLC from them later on.

As for omitting the HST over the 37/5, I’m sure the same complaints would be here anyway “why no freight”, in the end everything can’t be included, which is why it was never promised, and why it isn’t there.

• Like Like x 3
  41. JZJ90

JZJ90 Active Member

It is also nice to get 2 brand new types of British freight rolling stock, currently there's not all that much variety outside the big hoppers from ECW and container wagons. I'm looking forward to seeing the seacows in particular as they are a nice wagon.

• Like Like x 2
  42. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

"Almost nothing changes from initial screenshots to release!"
    "What we see is what we get!"
    "They'll never change it before release!"

Feels like I keep reading these same words every time there's a new article :D

• Like Like x 5
  43. junior hornet

Is the Class 37 for freight only? I’m sure these were once used for passenger services, although probably not during the period this is set. It would at least give us some express services even if it is AI only.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

I wonder if we could get Diesel legends layers on this

• Like Like x 2
  45. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

If they allowed for 20s and 31s and 50, then I'd be buying them too

• Like Like x 4
  46. SprattyHeath

SprattyHeath Well-Known Member

I am entitled to give my opinion on something regardless if it's finished or not

• Like Like x 1
  47. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

The 37's were used on china clay east of Burgullow Junction.
    From talking to Jasper_Rivet on the Rivet forum, I think they might have a tiny bit of China clay movement from the China Clay dries at the junction towards St Austell (about a mile) as the clay is actually transported towards Par/Fowey.
    That was my assumption from his statement, as they had not built the only freight line of the Parkandillack branch.

D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Unfortunately very little will change from these screenshots to the final release. If it looks crap now, it'll look crap when you can play it.

• Like Like x 10
  49. Coastway trainspotter

That depends if rivet take action on what we have said

• Like Like x 1
  50. Warspite

Much as I welcome the Turbot and the Seacow they are making for the route, these are not china clay wagons. However, they could be used on engineers' trains (carrying ballast) to Truro.

• Like Like x 1