Make A Dlc Map

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by antwerpcentral, Sep 29, 2021.

1. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

One of the biggest challenges I'm facing is finding out what DLC ties into what route. As I'm very invested into the Dresden route I wanted all te DLC that tied into that route. It took me days to find I needed HRR and the BR101.

Now that the London Commuter route is coming I'm trying to figure out if there is already existing DLC that will tie in to that.

I've seen some user made spreadsheet explaining routes and compatible DLC, but I can't make sense out of those. DTG should make an easy graph that explains to lazy people how they can hand over their cash with way more ease than first digging into spreadsheets.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

SouthEastern Highspeed for the 375 SouthEastern (maybe)
    Class 465 DLC for the 465 (definitely). You may need the SEHS anyway for the 465 to work

I think it would be a good thing to have what routes have what substitution or layers so that people can easily see these. A spredsheet is great but a simple webpage or list on here would be better

• Like Like x 1
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

German DLCs >> link

You probably just saw it - I can not draw :) BR o7

EDIT Usually, this type of information is included in the product description in the store. It is not so hard to get lost in it - you are right.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. antwerpcentral

Yup I saw that one. It is probably very helpful for people that like to work with spreadsheets but I need something more visual :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

True, but the descriptions are often (sometimes?) incomplete I think. e.g. I wanted to learn what routes the 101 loco could be used on - the store page for the DLC only says you need HRR to use it, but I was told on Discord that it can be used on other routes too, which that spreadsheet also confirms. I don't understand how this basic info is not included in DtG release pages.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ARuscoe

Because it would take admin time (and therefore cost) to go back and update all relevant pages on all the stores to include all those details, when really it should be as simple as "put it in the manual", but of course many routes and DLC don't have those either.

• Like Like x 1
  7. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

well if your curious about what Will Layer (that means DLC Tieings) into BLM, Class 465, 313 and for some reason the 08, That is what we know I will also assume the Class 66 will layer in for Freight, and NTP Locos for Railtours along with other old BR Locos, also the ECW 377 For the Liveries we made on that version. we just have to wait for the preview streams.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Commiee

There is only one paragraph per DLC that would need to be updated, and "admin time" is a weird excuse when it's the basics of informing people what they are buying. If you spend admin time on things like moderating livestream chats and forums, dedicating admin time for having a properly up-to-date single paragraph for DLC descriptions should be a given.

• Like Like x 4
  9. antwerpcentral

It's because of the store information I'm asking for a DLC map. In the playstation store and in-game store there is no mention at all that HRR and BR101 layer into Dresden.

I understand that it is difficult to keep updating store information but a webpage or even a simple graphic would make it much easier to see what is what. It took me days to make sure I was buying the correct DLC for Dresden. Probably in a year I will not need such a graphic because I will understand all the lingo being used in the TSW community but for now I need some guiding.

10. ARuscoe

Cool, if it's so little work why don't you make a post and get on it...
    The reason there's a spreadhseet etc and why people don't just use that resource is because it's NOT a simple thing.

11. Commiee

I'll take this non-post as a confirmation that there is no argument against the common-sense idea - shared by game developers on Steam - that you keep information on what you're selling up-to-date. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. antwerpcentral

As stated in my original post this should cater to lazy consumers as myself. For sure it went through my mind I should take this on me and make a comprehensive DLC map but I'm lazy so I'm asking the merchant to make it easier to empty my wallet. DIY is not an option as a solution to my problem :D

13. ARuscoe

I never condone for catering to laziness... sets a bad precedent
    The main issue I would have is that it's never ending. And what would DTG say, basically it would be a one liner "The product can be used on other TSW2 routes" which is about as useful as stating someone else is making a non-post

14. antwerpcentral

Well DTG is a business? What does DTG want you think? That people can easily find extra stuff to buy or that people hesitate in buying extra stuff because they are not sure about the contents?

• Like Like x 1
  15. ARuscoe

Look back over DTG content for the last ten years on Steam. You'll have your answer
    The problem is that all loco DLC are usable on all routes through OTR mode, and it's unlikely they want to say "This train is usable on x,y,z,a,b,c routes" because then they prejudice against d,e,f,g,h routes...
    ie, it makes little sense, and it takes up admin time every time they make a change

16. antwerpcentral

I'm on playstation. I don't use Steam. It just doesn't make sense DTG doesn't want you to spend more on their products. It's because I was so annoyed with the auto loading journey feature I came to complain on this website. After reading some topics I was even more confused because people on here were talking about trains that drove on routes that didn't came with the route but you had to buy another route. If I didn't end up here never would have known there are multiple layers.

TSW is on consoles so this means they want to cater to more than only simulator fans. They want as many people to buy their products I guess. They got my attention with the Rush Hour campaign. I'm here, I wanna spend. Make me spend. It just doesn't make sense to make people solve puzzels like the TSW DLC maze before they can buy something.

• Like Like x 1
  17. aaronbrall#7894

aaronbrall#7894 Active Member

Why would it say "XYZ works on ABC" if you dont need ABC to run XYZ
    I don't use PS but I just went on the store and it clearly states
    "Please note: Train Sim World 2: Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr is required, as a separate purchase, in order to utilise the content featured in this add-on."

You don't need Desden to utilise the Br101 at all as the Br101 does not rely at all on the route, a very quick google search consisting of "TSW timetable" gave all the info i need. Its about being proactive

18. antwerpcentral

You just showed DTG why they definitely need a DLC map. Because your Google search didn't give you the info you requested or you didn't understand what I meant. I never said that you need Dresden for the BR101

So I will explain again what I meant. There are locos that can be used on other routes than the route they are advertised for like the BR101 that mentions only that it requires HRR. I'm not even saying that text in the store needs to be changed every time it's compatible with a new route. I'm just asking for a simple guide that shows me all the layers there are. I heard arguments like it takes admin time. So what? If the admin makes a DLC map they sell more DLC and they have more money to hire a second admin. You are not gonna tell me they don' have time to make such a map. They have time to play the game and stream it. Why? I don't know because consumers are doing the exact same thing. Not saying they should stop streaming gameplay but if time is an issue they are wasting much time. Sorry to be so blunt but the excuses I hear not to make thing easier for people who wanna buy stuff is ridiculous.

More sales > more money > more resources = better game

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  19. ARuscoe

OK, go to your car (presuming you have one) and look at the manual. Does it tell you every road you can drive it on? No?
    OK, Now go to ANY other simulator and see if they tell you where certain DLC can and cannot be used. They don't

I get the argument of "console players are lazy and shouldn't have to do any legwork to find things out" (your concept, NOT mine) but I disagree with it. And essentially with off the rails all trains are usable everywhere. The only issue would be where you need a specifci base route for the loco to work, but those ARE on the sales page of each asset

20. ARuscoe

Those two statements contradict. If a new route included five layers all with trains from other routes you want the store pages for each DLC updated to include that information
    So that's four stores (Xbox, PS Store, Steam, Epic) updated for the new route, five DLC and or routes updated each time... So thats about thirty changes to be tracked and made just for that one instance...

21. antwerpcentral

What? I just asked for a DLC map, I don't ask them to update the store every time. If that contradicts in your mind that's not on me. The simplest way is a DLC map. If you want them to update the store every time than you should make another topic about that because I'm just being reasonable and not trying to ask stuff that is time consuming like updating all stores.

A DLC map can be shown in game, online, wherever. The only thing that exists at the moment are user made spreadsheets (well done of that user) and some mentions here and there in a topic or a stream. But not the full picture. I'm just asking for the full picture.

22. ARuscoe

Sorry, that was the other guy...

DLC map as in if you have this route then this this and this train works on it, fi you have this loco then it works on this this and this route as a direct timetable (but they still work on everything in OTR mode anyway)?

23. antwerpcentral

It's like talking to a brick wall.

I had a look at my car and what do you know, there is a device in there that tells me every road I can drive on. It even tells me where the LEZ are.

24. ARuscoe

Cool, I had a look at mine, doesn't mention specifically I can use it on the M4... or the M32.
    Anyway, to answer your question ALL locos can be used on ALL routes... In OTR mode, I've said that several times
    And I did ask a question (to try to progress something here) but you seem to not have noticed that bit

25. antwerpcentral

Cars always have come with maps and if they didn't you could buy one

You have not answered my question but added to the confusion. So German loco's driving American routes? I don't understand what you are talking about. I guess I need a map :D

The other question: Simulators on Playstation? Don't know much simulators on Playstation like Train Sim World that have layered DLC. Cities Skylines DLC is straightforward. Sims 4 does a great job of explaining what DLC does and what it does with other DLC. So yes what I consider to be simulators do a very good job at explaining their DLC

26. ARuscoe

That doesn't mean you CAN drive on them, only that those roads exist

Yep, you can even drive a huge US loco on the bakerloo in the tunnels...

Doesn't matter which little box you have. Simulators generally.
    Sims4 doesn't have distinct maps and distinct assets in the same way, but I get your point.

Anyway, the question was...

27. antwerpcentral

That's why we have now have stuff like Google Maps and Apple Maps. It will tell you are not allowed in the city centre of Antwerp if your car is not compatible with the LEZ.

Well I didn't know that but never wanted to drive all loco's on all routes. What I understood so far and what I was looking for is make routes look busier. I bought TSW because the Rush Hour advertising spoke to me. I played the game and found the Dresden route the best route in the base game + season ticket. So I read that the route are even busier if you have certain routes and loco's installed. So I don't think that if I buy every American and British loco they will appear in the Dresden route. So all I wanted to know then when buying DLC was: will it appear in Dresden. So if I'm correct those are only 2 DLC packages and I don't have to buy all the German stuff just to have it in Dresden as they will not appear.

Now I'm getting interested in the London Commuter coming out so I want the same thing for that route. People have already explained which DLC will be definitely in the route and which might.

As I said I'm on Playstation and don't play games on PC. TSW2 is one of those "hardcore" simulator companies that made the jump to console. Looks rather small to me and I actually don't want to compare them to behemoths like EA but as you understood what I meant with Sims 4 you also know why they do a much better job at explaining their DLC. It's resources.

I understand your view on simulator games but if a game appears on the PSN store I look at it as a game and not a simulator. Playstation is another audience. That's why I call myself lazy, it's just another way of looking at content.

probably answered that one with this reply

The funny part about all this is prior to my purchase of TSW my research told me I had to watch out for DTG because the game was all about emptying mu pockets with DLC. I don't even get why they would say that as I'm having difficulties handing them over my money :D