Is There Nothing Else, Just The Class 66?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Stephen Crofts, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Don’t get me wrong, I think the class 66 for UK stock is a brilliant piece of kit with a unique driving experience to be had. Also I know they cover the UK network like a rash in real life.

But, is there nothing else that could also run freight on our modern uk routes?
    It would be nice to have a bit of variety for freight.

Maybe there could be a predominantly freight, modern UK route that could introduce just 1 other freight loco… please dtg

• Like Like x 3
  2. moofeen#2182

moofeen#2182 Active Member

Put dis in suggestion forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

I agree with you the Class 66 is a nice loco to drive but it’s basically an American loco modified for UK railways isn’t it? It might be widely used here in the UK but UK freight would be a lot more interesting if we had a variety of UK designed locos. ( Do we still have specifically UK designed and built! locos / trains here in the UK these days? )

I think this is why I prefer 70s / 80s era UK routes, the locos seemed to be much more interesting and unique to the UK.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I often find that just changing a loco can bring a whole new breath of fresh air to a run that’s already been done.
    class 20 subbing for class 37 on tvl just gives such a different feel, and view even, to what is essentially the same service.

Would just be nice to do the same with something realistic on the modern routes.
    I’m not so familiar with modern stock though. What would folk suggest could make a good alternative to the 66?

• Like Like x 2
  5. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

A class 70 would be nice

6. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Member

Originally I got TSW2 to play only the NA freight routes, but after getting TVL & ECW, I am now hooked on UK freight! I only have TVL, ECW, CCL & NTP so far and I have seen the 66 available (although limited) in ECW & CCL. In what other dlc is it available?

I think my favorite UK freight loco so far is the 31. I find it easier to handle & to set up. I find the 20 is more challenging to operate (power wise), but that also makes it fun to drive!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

The class 66 is also available in SEHS and GWE (older dlc).

• Like Like x 1
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Well, there is the Class 92, which could run on BML via 3rd rail, and other electrified routes via OHLE (it's dual-mode). Or if another diesel is wanted, there are the Class 90 "Tugs."

• Like Like x 1
  9. solicitr

My one real complaint with the 31 is that the brakes take all week to release.

• Like Like x 2
  10. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Member

Thanks! Would never have guessed SEHS would have freight.

Maybe off-topic, but since UK and NA have the same gauge and we are talking diesels, would any like to have NA locos on UK routes and vice-versa? I am sure there would be other issues to worry about, but I would like that.

11. solicitr

Although the track gauge is the same, the UK has a much, much narrower loading gauge (maximum permitted width). Simply put, NA rolling stock couldn't make it through British tunnels, bridges, lines of telephone or catenary poles etc.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Freight is only active on SEHS if you own ECW as it uses that class 66 (EWS).

• Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

UK freight is a low priority according to the polls they've done. Everyone wants high speed passengers and freight can go whistle
    Everytime I go on a post with only passengers on it and mention the W word I get shouted down

SEHS does have freight in game in the form of an aggregate run from Gravesend to Sittingbourne sidings and onto Faversham. IRL freight on the line is non-existent past Hoo except for a could on 59s a week through Strood

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Was only watching this yesterday which describes the problem with the UK's loading gauge.

15. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

I agreed UK most modern freight - but also passenger- trains must be added to TSW2.
    Specifically as to freight locomotives... Class 88 will be a great DLC!.

88002-cred-Howard-Lewsey.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  16. shhweeet#4292

I've seen the Class 88 and I always thought it was an ugly piece of styling but looking at your photograph of it I’m starting to think it’s quite attractive? I guess it’s starting to grow on me.

17. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Like a fungus would! #tongueincheekforthelaughs

But seriously, exactly the same here. I saw some 68's next to 66's at Kingmoor last week and thought the same. Although next a 66 anythings pretty! It's akin to when BMW released the Chris bangle designs, I thought they were ugly as sin. My daily driver Chris Bangled designed 5 series now clearly suggests I now don't!!
    The conclusion of which is either familiarity leads to something becoming pretty or there are some awesome designers forward thinking enough to produce something akin to 'grow into their skin' designs.

Said 68's
    DSC_0075.JPG

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  18. grdaniel48

shhweeet.
    Thanks for your comment.
    I never considered ugly, despite it is a unique and strange design.
    But after being checking pictures and videos in the past, I get used to it, and I like it very much now!.
    Furthermore the livery it is attractive too..
    At least for me

• Like Like x 2
  19. grdaniel48

This locomotive was originally built by Vossloh, but now this company is owned by Stadler (Swiss train manufacturer).
    This model can be dual power (diesel and electric)
    The fact is those locomotives only operates by DRC (Direct Rail Services), so DTG will have to get the licenses for the locomotive and the operator.
    But as it is already available con Train Simulator, I hope this not will be an issue

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  20. shhweeet#4292

I suppose their is some truth in that saying beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Talking of BMW and designs that you grow into. I initially hated the latest big / massive kidney grill design BMW has adopted until I saw one in the flesh a short while ago and all of a sudden I found myself actually loving it because it did for some reason look cool.

I suppose it’s why designers can command the big bucks. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  21. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

I'm still of the opinion they look a bit 'Gopish' as James May would say, bit like what they did to the last Ford Granada's!

• Like Like x 1