Joe Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sheldon1000, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

After tonight's stream, I think given the amount of amazing work, enthusiasm and knowledge Joe put into the London Commuter route needs appreciation. It looks amazing and the amount of services he has put in is just wow.

Thank you Joe!!!!

• Like Like x 68
  2. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Yes, brilliant dedication. And thank you for being willing to be on stream to showcase your work.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Jalio

Jalio Active Member

Yeah cheers Joe. The route is alive:)

• Like Like x 2
  4. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

Brilliant, brilliant work. But, I don’t want to encourage people to put that much of their lives into every single release. For all the complaints that get thrown around about DTG and what is sometimes missed or not included, you are all human, and you deserve to not spend every waking moment of your lives at work.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Horizelux

Horizelux Well-Known Member

Joe showed us his enthusiasm and his love for the route, and we certainly can see that recreated in game. The attention to detail and research he did is absolutely mind boggling, and it serves as a reminder that this game is about passion and love for railways. Joe has shown that more than any person on the planet. Respect +++ :)

• Like Like x 6
  6. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

He (and James) really have done a phenomenal job, you can the tell the entire endeavour has been a labour of love.

My only worry is that they've set the bar impossibly high for future routes!

Hopefully other developers can at least utilise the tricks Joe has decovereed to make future timetables quicker to build (especially the quick method for copying each train so that the times offset, meaning we'll get accurate intermediate stations timings rather than made up ones!).

• Like Like x 7
  7. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Agreed, well done Joe. What a fantastic effort.

I particularly like the sound of the timings being a bit less tight. In real life, trains have a bit of slack in the timings to allow recovery when running late. As a result, one of the skills of train driving is knowing when to coast below line speed to conserve energy, reduce wear on brakes discs and conserve path (‘dissipation of running time’) rather than running flat out all the time arriving early and spending ages hanging around in stations. I look forward to the opportunity to do that in TSW (it’s possible a bit on some existing routes, but not much).

It’ll also be great to have so many trains, and therefore opportunity for signal checks.

• Like Like x 6
  8. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely. Thank you so much Joe. For me, it was the best stream I have watched in a very long time. Having gone through a bit of a dry patch, where no DLC took my fancy, hearing Joe's infectious enthusiasm for the route, as well as the incredible understanding and knowledge shared, has really convinced me that this DLC could be a winner.

I really think having a route expert on the preview stream is a hugely beneficial thing, where, as a community, we got to listen in great detail to the operational aspects of the route. When eventually playing, this will enhance the simulation as I will be able to relate back to all the details and nuances discussed.

It was so refreshing compared to the usual streams. Although I don't expect the same number of services in the future, I really do hope we have the opportunity for more experts to deliver routes to us in such an informative and interesting way. Thank you Joe for going above and beyond!

• Like Like x 7
  9. taybarker20

taybarker20 Active Member

I just hope the new types of splitting and coupling services don’t become buggy but anyway i think joe should have his name as joethelegend

• Like Like x 1
  10. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

After watching last nights stream, we should build a shrine for Joe

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jasonic

Jasonic Member

Yes well done Joe(and others involved in the timetable and route) what a huge amount of work.

On the stream regarding arriving at Brighton early, in reality(the working timetable at that time) you would have had to wait for a Thameslink to depart platform 6 at 14:28 before being routed into platform 4 that’s why you were early.

You would of overtaken a Thameslink service at Haywards Heath(it would of sat there from 14:05-14:15 in plat 1).

The timetable a year later would of been easier to model as there would of hardly been any splitting/attaching at Haywards Heath and no overtaking moves, but maybe not as fun and Gatwick would of had to be modelled with scaffolding up as the rebuilding works would of started.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  12. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Joe was the highlight of last night's stream for me. His enthusiasm and passion was a breath of fresh air. Hope he'll be back for the second preview stream.

• Like Like x 13
  13. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of doing a thread like this last night. Of course others were involved too and their efforts are greatly appreciated but Joe really has made this a Rush Hour worthy route. He is inspiring to others with his enthusiasm and dedication. I hope there are people here with the same passion and step up and apply to DTG

• Like Like x 3
  14. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

Fantastic job on the timetable, Thank you! Joethefish Hope to see more of you on stream, you contributed some great facts about the route and RL timetable, maybe a return for the launch day stream? :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

No, much as I agree that he did an outstanding job, with BML, Dresden is also an excellent "rush hour" route, and with the additional services to come for Boston, that too will be busier.
    I think that the "Rush Hour" moniker has been certified as authentic by all three routes, though I haven't played BML yet and it's still missing passengers which have been promised by Thursday.

• Like Like x 2
  16. vyncwr

vyncwr Member

Additional services for Boston? Have I missed something?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

No, you haven't. I think they are referring to the fact that they left gaps in the timetable to accommodate any possible future dlcs (Acela for example).

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  18. vyncwr

vyncwr Member

Oh thanks, actually I thought I missed an acela announcement :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

It might be about those depot services for ACS-64s... maybe? :D

20. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Joe's done a fantastic job - but - please spare a thought also for the rest of the team who have also been working their tails off on this route, it's been a momentous achievement on all fronts and Joe's excellent works ties it all together perfectly. There are quite a few members of the team including on the environment team who've been putting in extra hours of their own time to help make the route as good as possible :)

• Like Like x 45
  21. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

I'd just like to thank Joe for showing his huge knowledge of the route during the live stream.
    Asking Matt on several occasions to go to platform x to show various AI couplings, etc. was intuitive and entertaining ;)
    Well done to the 'Team'.

• Like Like x 7
  22. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

Joe's involvement in the stream really shows what people who are actually clued up on the project can bring, the enthusiasm for the product and willingness to show the work did a better job of selling me the route than any article or previous stream.

• Like Like x 8
  23. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I must say I was shocked - in a good way, of course - when I seen the figures in the Articles, I couldn't believe what I was seeing in front of me.

Joe's work on the timetable is truly something else, and - as said above - the little bits on the stream where he pointed out certain things at certain places where really interesting to see.

And I can tell - both from playing the TS Version and a quick search on Google Earth and having watched a few cab rides - that this route is going to one of - if not the* - best route in the game to-date.

Sadly as a Gen8 user I won't experience the layers, however 1.2k services is something else.

I'm most looking forward to this when I get the season pass (soon enough, thankfully :D).

Rush Hour really has raised the bar, after a rocky (let's be honest) release and build up.

Looking forward to throwing my life away trying the three routes out when I get them!

*My Scottish bias for Cathcart may or may not have just been blown out the water.

• Like Like x 5
  24. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

After watching the post livestream, I appreciate what Joe has done with this timetable. As someone who still on last gen and won’t get the full timetable experience with the extra layers, I am looking forward to play this route regardless. It’s going to be great to operate the Class 377 & Class 387 for 50 miles.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Even better, he joined us in the stream to talk about this passion. I really love that. In the past I heard it was a bit hard to get developers that far, but it is good they get the chance to show their work and get credits for it personally. I believe this helps in increasing the quality of the game as well.

• Like Like x 3
  26. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

A very fair and reasonable comment to make. Everyone working on BML has done a fantastic job and created what is the best route in TSW 2. It looks, sounds and seemingly works exceptionally well and I really cannot wait to play it on Thursday.

• Like Like x 4
  27. breblimator

breblimator Guest

my my hey hey rock and roll is here to stay
    good job Joe ;)

• Like Like x 1
  28. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Hats off to everyone for their work on this. I was amazed by the sheer volume of traffic on the route. I genuinely hope the sales reflect the effort and the accountants give you more time to create these masterpieces In Working time primarily. Cannot wait to see the next stream

• Like Like x 2
  29. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Quite possibly. But do you really want to make such a sweeping statement of approbation, based on screenshots and a single Twitch stream. I'm very optimistic about this route and Rush Hour in general, but I think I'll wait until I've played a few services before plonking it on a pedestal above all others, including Dresden*, for instance, which currently occupies that place of honor in my panoply. :)

* Despite it being shortened by a couple of branches.

• Like Like x 2
  30. mickelmickle

mickelmickle Member

Absolutely astonishing work done to the Victoria to Brighton, thank you to all involved

• Like Like x 2
  31. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think from what I saw in the stream last night it is winning hands down. Truly a rush hour experience with the sheer volume of services.

• Like Like x 2
  32. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed in what I saw on the first steam was very impressed with the detail. Keep up the great work it really shines threw.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

Top notch work and have to say if i thought you was going all out for this route id of stamped a maximum 400ish services so amazing to see what you have achieved and I can speak for most when I say your dedication and effort will be appreciated greatly!

Also like to add its fabulous to hear the story of being a fan, randomly creating things and now part of the team, so hats off to DTG for showing the faith and massive respect to you for believing in yourself and putting yourself in the deep end with this project....cannot wait to play it, and look forward to seing what more magic you create for future DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  34. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Watched the recording of the stream today and I‘m absolutely blown away. The route just takes everything to a whole new level! Can’t wait to try it out next week. It was also great to see the passion of Joe in the preview stream. He (and the entire team) can be very proud of this extraordinary achievement!

• Like Like x 3
  35. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Joe is fantastic I hope he gets to come on to a preview stream for every route he works the schedule.

The pure knowledge of oh this train should be on this platform right now was just amazing. And finally someone else who shares the same enthusiasm for timetables as I do.

• Like Like x 3
  36. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

So glad you all like the timetable! Had a lot of help from various teams to get this timetable where it is, so I'm glad the effort hasn't gone unnoticed! :D

As mentioned on the stream, James did most of the research and outlining for me. What I didn't get to say on stream (mainly because I didn't realise just how quickly the time would fly) was all the other teams inputs from small and seemingly-insignificant details to absolutely game-changing help and feedback. Truly a team effort, cannot thank them enough.

• Like Like x 28
  37. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I really think that instead of DTG driving Joe into the ground by spending 24/7/365 designing route timetables, they should have him train the other route builders as to how it's done- this would mean comprehensive Joe-style timetables for all new routes, not just the 1 in 3 or 4 he does personally.

• Like Like x 4