Please Improve Tsws Airliner 3d Model

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jamesbaby286, Oct 2, 2021.

1. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

Brighton Main Line has us closer than ever to an airport and TSWs airliner model. With landing aircraft being immediately in front of any train stopped at Gatwick Airport station, and the track allowing us to be well within a train length away from it flying over, it is more important than ever that the aircraft look believable.

It was seen in the stream today that BML is sticking with the same airliner model used in past TSW content. This greatly disappoints me as in its current state, the model's proportions and shape are distractingly unlike anything that exists in real life. Previously it has only been used as a piece of distant scenery. where its flaws were something that could be much more easily brushed aside. It was seen landing at Newark, flying over Koln, etc.

I have heard in the past that changing the aircraft model isn't necessary compared to other potential changes, but I believe the fact that as this is a commonly reused asset (Brighton Main Line will be the 4th or 5th route with it) and it is more in-your-face than ever, it really needs a facelift to TSW2 standard.
    Or even to TS standard as the TS2013 Brighton Main Line route had a very realistic plane model based on a real aircraft.

The view from Gatwick Airport Station as seen in todays TSW2 BML stream:
    Screenshot 2021-10-02 071528.png

At Teeside Airport on TVL (used console command camera to get this close):
    20191212054026_1.jpg
    20191212053801_1.jpg

The closest counterpart to the general shape would be an A330. I'll use it as a comparison to break down how to improve the existing model, if an entirely new model is impossible.

A330:
    AF-accident-aircraft.jpg

So the thing that throws the model off the most is the placement of the engines. As you can see above, planes with just 2 engines do not have their engines far out on the wing, and in fact keep them close to the fuselage. So the first priority is to move them in. And if you're moving the engines you might as well move the wings up to be in a more realistic position too.

The next most major thing is the shape of the nose. It isn't shaped like any existing airliner. It is either far too pointy, or if it is going for the look of an airliner that has a pointy nose (like a CRJ200 or 747) it is the wrong size, shape, engine layout. It has the edge loops there that can allow for a less pointy nose, but the transition from straight fuselage to the conical shape of the nose starts too far back on the aircraft.

With the planes at Gatwick coming in to land with the wheels out, its important they be in all the correct positions. The nose gear needs to be moved significantly further forward. Both the rear gear are currently protruding from the body of the aircraft, when they should be further apart, connecting to the area around about the join of the wing and the fuselage. All the wheels should be a bigger, but especially the rear landing gear which needs to be much bigger.

The easiest change that can be made is to the texture of the aircraft. The passenger window line is too low and needs to be moved up. The cockpit texture is too high and need to be lowered. They both could have their features be a bit darker to improve the visibility of them as well. If the wings can be made to be silver/grey that would be an instant improvement.

Another change that I would also find nice but aren't as pressing is the addition of winglets for the ends of the wings. There are very few airliner types that fly without winglets today.

Ultimately DTG, if this isn't enough reason to modify the model and texture that's ok; Instead allow me to bring to your attention the fact that the texture features an unlicensed Star Alliance logo ;)

Changes needed:
    20191212053801_1 - Copy copy copy.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 25
  2. jamesbaby286

As an addendum...

The plane used in Train Simulator 2013's Brighton Main Line:
    20211002095322_1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That TSW plane really bugs me. Now we will get to see it closer than ever. It’s definitely time to make a new one, one that looks like it’s been drawn by a grown-up with at least one functioning eye. Too harsh? I don’t think so, look at the excellent points made in the posts above. The current model doesn’t really have anything right about it.

• Like Like x 9
  4. JellyScrub

JellyScrub Active Member

To me, I dont really care about whether a plan model isn't perfect in a train simulator. I'd rather the dev time was spent on something more useful.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

It almost reminded me games like Ace Combat, Microsoft Flight Simulator or racing sims. Spectators in racing sims don’t look great in a game about racing. Those cities and towns looks very detailed from high above but not so much when you get closer to the ground.The scale of the environments looks different. It’s a similar situation with Train Sim World, Train Simulator 20XX or any train sims out there. The trains are so detailed in a game when you drive trains but not so much in other places like the environment or traffic vehicles. Like the roads/highways in this game looks awful and doesn’t represent the actual layout.

6. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

A plane? I do get that you want everything perfect in the game but a plane that will only be visible in the distance? Have you seen the people on the platforms? You see them up close at every station. The plane looks even better than the people on the platforms. Leave the plane alone. There is way more things that ruin the immersion than that plane. What bothers me more is tree branches that don't act like tree branches hitting a locomotive at high speed.

7. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

Jeez, it's Train sim world, not Plane sim world

• Like Like x 5
  8. antwerpcentral

I love people more than planes, so fix the passengers first.

• Like Like x 1
  9. antwerpcentral

You mean the ugly zombies from Dresden and Boston? Sorry but I don't understand the question when you ask what's wrong with them in a topic about a prop in the distance not looking like a real plane. The rush hour people don't look like real people. Even on Playstation 3 there were already better looking NPC"s in video games.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It would be cool if they improved the model now that you can actually see the plane up close.

11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

This is by no means an unreasonable request. They have included an aeroplane that is animated and therefore must expect players to look at it. I wonder why such a bad job was done in the first place. Placing the engines in the wrong place on the wing is as much work as placing them in the correct place. They should have done it correctly in the first place and then we wouldn’t be complaining. Other details on the model may not be so obviously wrong but if they do create a new model they may as well do a better job this time.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

The road vehicles emergency braking and doing 2 mph around corners before flooring it 5-60mph in 0.5 seconds bugs me but personally I ignore it , I'd be fine with poor quality planes. It's a train sim.

• Like Like x 3
  13. antwerpcentral

The reason I mention people is because you see them everywhere in the game. Every stop there are people on the platforms you even have them sitting in the back of your train if you are doing passenger service. Why is having good looking people different from a good looking plane? Good looking people will benefit every player. You only benefit from a good looking plane if you have BML and come near the airport.

If you are going to use the argument of last gen consoles, why on earth would you even make those consoles burst in to flames by adding a well detailed prop on the airport? :D

14. antwerpcentral

As last gen consoles are being used as an excuse for everything on the forum not to implement stuff in the game you can imagine that even a few polygons more would break the game for last gen consoles. ;)

15. antwerpcentral

I'm very sorry but I really have to laugh when you say the passengers look good. They look awful compared to every game with people in it on my PS4. Like you said I'm more interested in the passengers that is correct. But I'm sure more people care about how the passengers look than some prop on a runway somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  16. antwerpcentral

I'm not laughing with TSW or DGT. I'm just laughing with the idea that the passengers would look ok. It was the first thing that I noticed when playing the game But I'm ok with it as it is a train simulator.But if a props look becomes a topic than everything else can become a topic as well. Passengers are props as well and they are all over the place. There is moren important stuff to improve than that one plane. The passengers are just an example.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

We have trees coming through the locomotive window frames and you are complaining about a plane viewed from 1/2 mile away engines being slightly in the wrong place?

On my list of "would be nice if they fixed this" I dont think this would make my top 100 let alone making it on to my "must have fixes" list.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

Yes it has. They walk, fairly smoothly, and board the train rather than spawning.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

As a train and plane fanatic, it would be nice to have a more realistic looking aeroplane in the game. Seeing it up close, it looks like one of the Wright Brother’s early failures. The angle of the plane coming into land seemed wrong too, pointing down at the nose too much instead of the nose being a bit higher or at least level.

That said, I appreciate this is Train Sim World and not Plane Sim World and other priorities exist.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rybnicki

Can only point you at the demo to be honest, I am going on what I saw myself - tho in the off-topic section there's a long thread on Simrail with some videos attached.

21. Rybnicki

No harm, it only came out yesterday!

• Like Like x 1
  22. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Still found in the details, there are always careful players criticizing other parts of DTG modeling.
    In fact, I hope DTG can improve the characters and vehicles, especially the unnaturalness of vehicles when cornering. This city is also a place that needs improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  23. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

The passenger in simrail are frankly better than the tsw passengers. They have more life to them and look better. Perhaps dtg can learn a thing or two from that

24. jamesbaby286

I just hoped to shed some light on how its inaccuracies put it far below the standard of every other TSW2 3D asset and it should be improved given the frequency the airliner keeps on being used, that we are getting very close to it now, and how rail lines next to airports are common.

TSW2s people already look like real people. Sure not photorealistic, but for videogame people they do a decent job of settling in a place where the uncanny valley doesn't make them uncomfortable to look at. Yes there could be some subjective polishing to improve them. The method Simrail choose also has its limitations making them look worse in my opinion, especially in the eyes, animation skeleton, plasticine hair, variety restrictions, and textures.

TSW2s airliner does not currently look like a real airliner. I can't think of another asset in TSW2 that looks less like the real thing it is trying to represent. Bits aren't in the right places, or the right size, and the shapes aren't correct. It's not even something that can be excused as a low poly optimisation.

As I said before; worst offender is the engines being in a totally unrealistic place. It's noticeable from quite a distance, and the problem will only be amplified we can now get really close. Changing engine placement alone would make the most significant difference and if that is all that can be managed that would do a lot.

20211004085524_1.jpg
    an-airbus-a330-243-taxiing-along-the-runway-view-from-the-front-of-KJMMXD.jpg

20211004090036_1.jpg

Absolutely none of this is strictly necessary to influence my purchase of a route or anything. Though it does effect my immersion greatly every time I see the airliner.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  25. antwerpcentral

I already sent a mail to Gatwick Airport to complain their planes don't look like the planes in Train Sim World and demanded they change them so they resemble the planes in the game. Problem solved I guess

• Like Like x 2
  26. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Honestly, if they just took the existing model and moved the engines along the wings to a more sensible position, I'd probably never think about this again. It's fairly baffling that people who take such an interest in the intricacies of engineering can be satisfied with this bizarre model.

• Like Like x 5
  27. jamesbaby286

I submitted my detailed list of specific improvements through dovetails portal and received an incredibly swift response. I am impressed.

I am happy with the response, and while I am sure that it is too late for Brighton to be released with a different plane model; I'm glad to have brought this topic to the table for the communities discussion, DTGs review, and hopefully a new airliner model in the future.

Screenshot 2021-10-05 055608.png

• Like Like x 3
  28. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

I'm just happy to have a plane looking plane which flies into Gatwick!

29. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I definitely agree that DTG should of made a better plane model for TSW2, its kind of sad that the plane models on TS1 are more accurate than the plane models on TSW2.

Hell, even SCS does their trains somewhat accurate despite making a truck sim.
    american-truck-simulator-new-mexico-dlc-pc-cd-key-1.jpg unnamed.jpg

However the actual importance of this fix is very low, since it really isn't a game breaking issue, just a visual annoyance....

• Like Like x 2