Paying Full Price And Not Getting Full Route Abilities

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jimnicebutdimm, Oct 2, 2021.

1. jimnicebutdimm

jimnicebutdimm Member

Have been watching last night's livestream. Looks very good and I look forward to playing it.

My grumble is that from what was said near the beginning this is likely the 3rd route (as well as Augsburg, Dresden) which is missing services for PS4 and Xbox one due to capabilities of the 2 consoles.

Considering how far trying to sort out memory problems with Munich - Augsburg seems to have gone, it's not promising for the other 2 routes. Therefore it's a bit irritating that full price has been paid for the routes but, full activity is not available.

Maybe it's time to look at how much PS4 and Xbox one owners are charged compared to others seeing as they aren't getting the full route.

Maybe it's time for a serious talk from Sam via livestream after he's nailed down the official answer from DTG about what's happening because there's only so many times the answer "we are looking into it" can be said along with releasing routes that aren't fully functional with PS4 or Xbox one.

• Like Like x 7
  2. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

While I agree with the idea of a tiered payment system, how would that work if you own a DLC purchased at a PS4 specific price once you upgrade to next gen?

Surely the only fair thing at that point would be to charge the difference in price you saved on the PS4 version to upgrade and get the PS5 version.

I believe this is where DTG are at, and this could be difficult to manage on their end. For that reason I don’t think we can expect any change in price structure across platforms.

• Like Like x 2
  3. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

I think they should invest more in memory optimization. Then they could offer all customers the same content. After that there wouldn't be second class customers like us asking for a discount.

• Like Like x 7
  4. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I do get the frustration but I notice DTG does a very good job with BML of not overselling this product for PS4. When you bought the routes there was no mention of them ever appearing in future DLC. So you paid full price for that route as it is. I was looking into the DLC I was going to buy for the layers in BML. If they not told that layers won't work I probably would have bought them before the 7th and I would have been pissed.

That was different with Dresden, I bought the BR101 which gives big problems with Dresden. That DLC is now unusable because even if I want to play with the BR101 in HRR I will need to reinstall the entire game and DLC afterwards to be able to play again on Dresden. I would not want to see this happen with BML where I buy all the layer DLC for BML and finding out I need to uninstall them before being able to play BML

• Like Like x 2
  5. jimnicebutdimm

jimnicebutdimm Member

I brought the season pass and there was no mention back then of not getting all the bits

• Like Like x 4
  6. jimnicebutdimm

jimnicebutdimm Member

It would be nice if that was the case but, considering how long it's taking to sort out the Augsburg problems, I don't think that's going to happen.

• Like Like x 1
  7. antwerpcentral

But there was no mention if there would be layers at all right? It's basically just expectations

• Like Like x 4
  8. jimnicebutdimm

jimnicebutdimm Member

True there wasn't mention of layers but, from what was said last night, PS5, Xbox X and PC owners who paid same season pass price as me and have the same DLC as me are getting more of the route activity than I and I would have thought other PS4 and Xbox one owners are getting.

• Like Like x 2
  9. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

The cost of the route is based on its development time, not to mention with the season ticket getting 3 routes for just over the price of one is still a good deal. Last gen are getting the full route including the 2 included electrostars 377 & 378, the layers are just a bonus extra. Furthermore, you will find that the route was as advertised, layers were always a work in progress and only confirmed yesterday.

Time to upgrade to modern consoles to keep pace with game development. Unfortunately, the near 10-year-old machines are now nearing the end of their life cycles.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  10. kevin.charb81

But even that is a short term solution. You’ll never be able to extract from a PS4 what you can with a next gen console, and throwing money at the problem won’t necessarily make it possible.

It’s not for a lack of trying, or even wanting to, we’ve simply started to see the ceiling of last gen consoles.
    I’ve owned all PlayStation consoles except the 2, and the same thing happens across all games within ~2 years of a new generation being released. It’s simply how things evolve, and not indicative of a flawed developer or them not caring.

• Like Like x 2
  11. antwerpcentral

Sure, I feel your pain and I understand your frustration as the owner of the DLC that can't be used but from a legal perspective there isn't a problem. Nothing was sold with false promises. I don't think it's a good idea to go all apeshit over missing layers for PS4. The thing is that if PS4 becomes too hard to handle (including the PS4 users) I would drop all development for further future DLC on PS4. It's way easier than deal with all that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. docsnyder1911

The difference is the last Playstations you could get for a normal price within about half a year after release.

• Like Like x 2
  13. jimnicebutdimm

jimnicebutdimm Member

Oh believe me, if I had £600+ spare for a PS5 and there were any in stock I would have one right now.

Having gamed for 30+ years, I totally understand that things move on but, if you're going to say your game plays on a console, I think all of it should work on the console.

• Like Like x 5
  14. docsnyder1911

Even if I had that money I would not make scalpers rich. :)

15. kevin.charb81

Agreed, very frustrating. Of course it depends on where you are located, but in Canada I found the online hunt for one to be ridiculous, and frankly, you'll go mad trying to get one purchased online and shipped to you. The stock is gobbled up instantly.

My experience was to hunt around at local shops (we had about 6 authorized brick-and-mortar vendors in Canada for PS5) and within a week located one at a drugstore about 45 minutes away, called them to hold it for an hour and picked it up. Ask around in local forums (FB, reddit, etc) and get on some wait lists. I was on a number of in-store wait lists and they called me within 3 weeks of giving my name.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  16. kevin.charb81

It does work on all consoles. Take FIFA for example, I played the PS4 version just fine, but with less cinematics and gameplay features than the PS5 version. Every game does this, and they want to give you all they can on a given platform, but it's often not up to them.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

Just think when you do eventually get the PS5, it will be like playing a whole new game. Then it will be worth the money. You get to feel a new game experience twice.

18. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Looking at it another way, if I had bought a PS5 or Xbox Series console, I would have been pretty miffed if I got no benefit from the upgrade and my software was held back by the limitations of older consoles. I’d have been complaining that, although the software was capable of including layers, it doesn’t have them because the older consoles couldn’t cope.

With more titles now being released for new gen consoles only, we should be thankful that they old ones are still supported in TSW2

• Like Like x 3
  19. kevin.charb81

Agreed! Even pre-Rush Hour running the PS4 version on PS5 was mind-blowing. Never knew the game could look so crisp, and the increase in passenger numbers after the 4.26 core update was like getting Rush Hour across all my routes.

• Like Like x 2
  20. docsnyder1911

Sure. The majority of console customers should be happy by treated like a second class customer.

• Like Like x 5
  21. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

I’m sorry I know what your saying but isn’t that being a little bit selfish? The fact is DTG has decided to support both the older and newer PlayStation which is the choice they decided to make so if there has to be a compromise for a PS5 player in order for a PS4 player to get a better experience then that’s fair isn’t it?

If you want it to be the best a PS5 player can get then DTG should abandon PS4 and PS4 players would just have to suck it up until they get a PS5. They won’t though because they need our money. DTG keeping a foot in both camps for their income stream just isn’t on if they expect PS4 players to keep stumping up the same price for an inferior dlc.

• Like Like x 3
  22. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

How does limiting the PS5 build increase the performance of the PS4 build? That’s what I’m curious to know.

23. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

That's highly unrealistic, I shouldn't expect my 7/8 year old PS4 to reproduce things a current PC or PS5 does. And does it really matter? If you break it down to it's very basic level what does more services ultimately mean- wizzing up and down more times per timetabled day, do the PS4 timetable twice then. There's a number to rival what next gens got. Bosh done. As for layers, again you are trying to do is put a killer whale in your garden pond and then expect it to do tricks.
    It's reality I'm afraid look at GTA V it's was a PS3 game ported up to PS4 and did everyone get up in arms about the amount of new things the 4 got? Of course they didn't, how could could they on lowly PS3's! then to top it all it's gets ported PS5 and God damn would you Adam and Eve it those PS5 ultimate race Barstewards get some new features and pretty things. Outrageous behaviour!
    Evolution is a wonderful thing but one things certain with it- your born, you have your time, and you die.
    Second class customer no, second class passenger perhaps yes but hey I still get there just a fast as Lord Tarquin Biscuit-Barrel in toffee-nose class. Yes my back hurts at the end of it and I have to squint to read the PIS but that's more an age thing...

• Like Like x 4
  24. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Ive no idea because I’m not that into all the technical aspects but I keep reading PS5 players saying it wouldn’t be right holding PS5 back because of PS4. Well it is if DTG for reasons of their own decide to support both older and newer versions and expect the older version player to pay the same price for an inferior dlc.

• Like Like x 2
  25. docsnyder1911

Very simple with a more potent hardware there is not so much need for software optimization. You don't have so much costs for software development and your profits will grow. And then you say to your customers they should buy new hardware to have the same experience even if it is not available for normal people with a full time job.

• Like Like x 1
  26. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

But the cost for PS5 users is more, That cost just doesn’t go to DTG.

Whats more likely (and inevitable) is that DTG will simply stop selling DLC on last gen machines.

In the end you have to make the decision as to weather that DLC is worth the money to you, as with any other DLC.

What you’re asking for is akin to saying PC shouldn’t have these layers either, same price and all, the only reason you’re asking for this to happen on PS5 is because it’s still a PlayStation, but it is indeed a better model.

Even the PS4 pro runs the game better but just because that can support better visuals, it doesn’t mean that it should be neutered for the sake of the base model, on the same note, the PS5 runs at 60fps 4K, should it also not do that because the PS4 cannot?

Any solution being made now isn’t going to prolong the inevitable, DTG have said multiple times that they will develop enhanced timetables and features for the platforms that support doing so.

27. antwerpcentral

I don't get this. You are talking about the increase in passenger numbers by playing it on PS5 but with Rush hour the PS4 got a passenger increase. So having more passengers had nothing to do with the platform? Also the description of superb graphics seem strange to me. PS5 graphics for other games are not that huge of a jump as PS3 > PS4. So if the difference is so dramatic there is something very wrong with the PS4 code.

• Like Like x 4
  28. docsnyder1911

I hope you see that such relaxed when your PS5 is outdated compared with an actual PC in 2 years :)

• Like Like x 2
  29. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Additional layers should be viewed as a bonus. There is only so much optimisation that can be done. The last gen consoles are simply too underpowered to deliver the full PS5 experience, which is why there is now a different version. We are all paying the same price for DLC, you just happen to get added layers if your machine is capable of running them.

• Like Like x 4
  30. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yes boundaries and technical limitations will move, as is life.

31. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

You born, you have your day, you die. As CK95 says its life, and you should learn to set your expectations as such.

• Like Like x 1
  32. docsnyder1911

Sounds that comes from DTG's marketing department. :)

• Like Like x 3
  33. docsnyder1911

It is very simple to find the hardware development explanation only. Software development is the key. Otherwise even the most powerful hardware is outdated after one year.

Or to say it with your words with not optimized way of living the lifespan is much shorter.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It’s true though. What you are paying for with Brighton Commuter is the route, the updated 377 and the new 387. You get all those services too. The additional layers are a bonus if a) you own those routes and b) your machine can run them.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  35. docsnyder1911

Then I will wish you a nice change to the PC community in about 2 years. :)

• Like Like x 1
  36. docsnyder1911

Exactly what Matt said in the stream. :)

• Like Like x 1
  37. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Or, maybe I’ll just come here and make pointless arguments about why DTG are responsible for insufficient hardware.

In any case, you enjoy not enjoying your content.

• Like Like x 5
  38. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Nominate for post of the day

• Like Like x 1
  39. docsnyder1911

But I recommend you to buy a PC than. Otherwise you will face the nice words from very selfish people that own the newest PC hardware. Even if they are in the minority. :)

• Like Like x 1
  40. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Which is exactly why I will never buy a pc to game in a nutshell.
    As a famous brand ad once read 'You meet the nicest people on a honda'
    In this case substitute PlayStation or Xbox for Honda.

41. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

oh, here we go with the PC master race poop and them thinking they're superior to console users.
    You might not be saying that in a couple of years when you can't upgrade your PC components due to a global shortage of materials needed to manufacture electronic chips. This is one of the reasons why PS5 and XB series haven't been able to be shipped in mass numbers.

• Like Like x 4
  42. docsnyder1911

Wow enjoyment with a route with so much different units to choose.
    The shortage is a result of the pandemic with damaged supply chains and more people in homeoffice and at home in their spare time. The tech industry said it will be resolved by next year.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

What? And how does that relate in any which way to my post?
    Are you on glue?

• Like Like x 2
  44. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

This is why this individual is on my ignore list, clearly here only to argue.

• Like Like x 2
  45. docsnyder1911

Well written post. Wow.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Can't teach stupid but damn I enjoy trying and I'm bored. Call it akin to playing with food!

• Like Like x 1
  47. docsnyder1911

If someone is not your opinion than he is for arguing only. Very nice behavior. :)

• Like Like x 1
  48. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Awww thanks

49. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah I suddenly realised I had pointlessly been going back and forth with them for around 4 hours, at that point I was like wooooow.

• Like Like x 1
  50. docsnyder1911

Your welcome.