Ps5 Add-ons Update – 5th October 2021

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DTG JD, Oct 5, 2021.

Tags:
  1. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hello folks,

Here is an update on where we currently are with the ‘PS5 not showing certain Add-ons’ issue.

In short – we believe we’ve found the source of the issue. We’ve been made aware of a cap on PS5 Add-on sizes, which means that if you currently own over 64GB of Add-ons, some will not appear in your library. We believe that, with the arrival of London Commuter, the sum of our current Add-ons total around 90GB – which explains why players are seeing varying amounts and types of Add-ons missing.

As of this stage, we do not have any control as to which Add-ons you will or will not see if you own over this threshold of Add-ons.

We’re working on a Plan A short-term fix – which may involve a larger core game download, and a Plan B longer-term fix, which will likely involve a more comprehensive solution, to help this issue. Whilst we’re hopeful Plan A will help in the short-term, it will not be live by the time London Commuter launches this Thursday.

Because this is a per-player issue, we have some workaround steps below you will need to take if you are currently missing Add-ons (or are concerned that London Commuter will not show in your library):=
    • Check on your console how much space your Add-ons (not the Core game) currently take up
    • If it is over (or approaching) 64GB, consider uninstalling Add-ons which you currently don’t play – when a fix is live, you will be able to redownload them
    • When new content is available, check the download size to make sure your total does not exceed 64GB, and download it as you would normally
    We appreciate this is far from ideal, but we hope this means at a minimum that you can enjoy any new content coming to Train Sim World 2 you’re interested in.

We thank you for your continued patience whilst we work on this complex issue, and we’ll let you know when we have either shorter-term or longer-term solutions.

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Awesome update very informative… thanks DTG JD

Now the question, why on earth did Sony plonk this cap / size limit on in the first place? For PS5 games that is.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

That's a bit silly of Sony to a) put a cap on DLC size limits and b) not inform one of its developers of said cap.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

And the cap limit was part of Sony’s ‘upgrade’….
    I’m wondering what the intended solutions will come to be because from JD’s description it doesn’t look like Sony is going to budge on the issue.
    Also strange PS4 seemingly doesn’t have a dlc cap, I wonder what Sony were thinking.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update.

With a cap on installed add-ons being sprung upon us and DTG, that’s going to mean a big overhaul of the game structure, as routes currently often rely on multiple other DLC to provide the trains and services within them. Players may not play those routes any longer but can’t uninstall them without losing that content. This could get messy, very messy.

Here’s me wondering whether the entire PS5 drive would be big enough to hold an ever growing DLC collection in the future, and now the limit is down to the size of a standard SD card. What are Sony thinking capping add-on size knowing there are games that already have add-ons larger than the limit?

• Like Like x 4
  6. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Do the 3 base routes factor into this issue? Considering the way TSW is built.

7. DTG JD

No. Core has a separate set of guidelines, which are fine for the moment. The 64GB 'allowance' should not include any Core routes.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Wow! I have the lot installed and I can tell you it is 90.8Gb without London Commuter
    So around a third of my content has to go to allow anything new to come in. Speechless

Also the beta of Sony's update was available for quite sometime prior to it being made publicly available. Could DTG have not tested this sooner? Don't dev's get builds early regardless of if they participate in platform betas anyway?

• Like Like x 4
  9. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

I have like many other PS5 PS4, PC and Xbox users have spent hundreds of pounds, dollars, republic credits, Euros and any other sort of credit on this Sim now only to be told that I have to delete 26 - 30 odd gigs worth.
    Yes its not your fault but now I have to make a decision here to delete content that I have paid for because Sony have imposed a DLC size limit, that's just ridiculous.

I have all the DLC and with a total of 90.06 gig it means I have to remove at least 26gig of stuff that I dont use just to get 3 routes working again. What with the PS4 - PS5 Save game mess up this is turning out to be a complete Cluster****

What's the point in buying anymore DLC from TSW for the PS5 if it means I have to keep deleting DLC that I supposedly dont use anymore. Most of my livestreams now will be on the PS4 but now I miss out on the GWE PC, HMA and Brighton Mainline extra timetables layers because of this. Its ridiculous.

Hentis

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Can PS5 users please start complaining with Sony because this cap is ridiculous. I really want this cap removed before I get mine.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Better DTG keep optimization on point for PS4 then...

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. TinTin_57

The platform is the platform unfortunately and dev's have to work with what is available. They would tell us to go away

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. DTG JD

I completely understand the frustration - it's obviously a position we don't want to put you in. I do want to stress that any workaround is a temporary measure, and we are working on a more long-term solution.

14. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Did you miss the point completely hentis? :D

remove to add new… it’s temporary.

It’s not like you are deleting and it’s never to be seen again.

• Like Like x 2
  15. TinTin_57

Also I know through my Youtube Channel that a lot of players are not that tech savvy so DTG should produce a video guide on how exactly to reduce the installation size at the users end as this is not common practice at all.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

So I had also discovered I am sat at 80gb of content, I had already removed a good chunk in order to play the latest releases, so I am now at 56gb, however it’s definitely going to be hard to justify buying more DLC at this point, I imagine that London Commuter will clock in at around 5gb which will put me right on the limit.

But pretty much if I buy my planned upcoming add ons, the 187, 313 & West Cornwall DLC, there’s likely something to go missing, and considering most of what I have installed now is either regularly played, providing a layer, or supporting a loco add on, there’s not really much room for manoeuvre left.

• Like Like x 3
  17. benuildo

benuildo Member

Thanks for the update.
    It's not easy to decide whitch route i can delete. Some routes are neccessary for the locos coming with them. To use all the layers on Dresden I need to keep all german routes for excample.
    I hope you will find a solution.
    @sony please remove this stupid restriction.

• Like Like x 1
  18. antony.henley

Dunno, I have so much stress going on at the moment (being a carer, seeing the health of my mum get worse every day and not being able to do anything about it, lack of sleep and losing my job), its just another thing added onto the pile of POO to annoy the hell out of me.

Hentis

• Like Like x 2
  19. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Ah mate sorry to hear of the other news, I knew work limbo was on the horizon.

am sure you are doing everything you can for your mother, don’t forget to look after yourself when possible to, I know easier said than done.

I won’t say “it’s just a game” but it really is, and it will be fixed down the line (sounds like a scenario name)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

Any news on PS4 players not being able to play Dresden since purchasing the BR 101 please? Apart from the fact that it does not show in the list if locos to play in that route as soon as I try to play any of the services it crashes. It crashed once or twice before getting the 101 just as approaching the end of the service but at least I was able to play it before it cashed.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Go into settings> Storage and you can select the game details which will show the core and any add-ons. Some are shown in MB and others in GB.

• Like Like x 1
  22. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Well money talks in the end. DLC is sold on PSN. PSN takes a cut. As you can see already, people will buy less DLC for this game. Less DLC sales is also less money for Sony

• Like Like x 1
  23. antony.henley

It is a game and to be honest its the least of my worries at the momnet.

24. DTG JD

Hope everything is okay, Hentis. I know things get rough, but there are a lot of lovely people here who are happy to offer help and support, even if it's a kind word here and there.

So: here's my kind word. Thank you for what you do to help the community, and I'm thankful you're part of this community.

• Like Like x 9
  25. Willowrpe

Willowrpe Well-Known Member

would this limit not effect other games ? surely cod and other such games will exceed the limit unless the dlc is folded into the main game ?

26. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Cod doesn’t really get any add ons, like you say it’s usually folded into the game file itself and then ‘unlocked’.

of course TSW could take this approach but then you’d have a 90gb game for everyone even if they only have 30gb of content.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Tbh this cap from Sony doesnt make any sense...i wonder if someone will verify this...

• Like Like x 2
  28. appleerwin

appleerwin Member

Maybe it’s their way to free up space on the limited internal SSD memory ;).

• Like Like x 1
  29. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

This is really strange. First, I cannot believe Sony have a DLC size cap and fail to tell developers. My betting is that DTG didn't read the T&C's

Also, as this is a Sony policy then why did it take Sony so long to find out why we our DLC's wouldn't load

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

The 64 Gbs doesn't seem very accurate.
    I just added up all the add-ons and I have 68,2 Gbs (67 from routes+1,2 from locos).
    I have everything available in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m really sorry to hear about the difficulties you are going through and I hope you are getting a reasonable amount of support. No one should have to deal with all of that on their own.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

As far as this PS5 update news goes, I’m not too thrilled at what it is. Though it doesn’t seem a DTG issue.

It doesn’t sound hugely positive. I can see us players having to start over again at some point when a permanent solution arrives. If we do SIGH! Surely Sony has to change this policy - it’s too restrictive in this day and age.

• Like Like x 1
  33. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Not to mention an omnishambles!

• Like Like x 1
  34. TinTin_57

Never again. 3 restarts of progress have already been 2 too many

• Like Like x 5
  35. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

That may be the only way around it tbh

36. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Possibly, personally I own 80 of the 90gb of available content so I dont have an issue with that, but I can certainly see why it wouldn’t be an attractive option.

37. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

Yeah, I deffo see the downsides, but DTG can optimise the game further to decrease the size of it

• Like Like x 1
  38. Willowrpe

since its a PS5 only version it can be optimised so as to remove any files that are replicated over different routes so may work out better to have one download and content just unlocked when you buy it

• Like Like x 1
  39. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

After further reflection on this, I want to know…

What is the long term solution? I think PS5 players have a right to know now so they can make an informed choice about future DLC purchases.

If Sony is going to maintain this arbitrary DLC limit, how are you going to make TSW 2 work in the future?

Is it worth me buying any more DLC if I can’t have it all downloaded at once?

How will future layers work when half our content has to be off system?

Why has it taken a good couple of weeks for this to be made known to the community? Sony must have known this was the reason immediately when DLC went missing!

This all seems very ominous to me.

• Like Like x 9
  40. TinTin_57

I came out of the Roadmap stream tonight I was just too miffed off after today to be honest and not a single discussion about it

• Like Like x 3
  41. Willowrpe

they mentioned the PS5 version just a few minutes ago but no more info that said on here

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I never bothered tuning in. First one I’ve missed since they started. This is a big big issue (more than a simple bug or layering issue - it could ultimately impact the game for PS5 players indefinitely) and what information we’ve been given so far falls far short of what we deserve.

• Like Like x 7
  43. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I was thankfully not (yet) affected by this issue and only learned of what is happening through tonight‘s stream. What you ask is my main question as well. Sony being Sony, I doubt they‘ll remove this limit if there was any good reason to put it in in the first place. But this limit existing completely kills TSW‘s and DTG‘s business model. I have no plans to stop supporting and enjoying TSW, but if it boils down to having to delete and re-install stuff over and over again - not sure if I‘m willing to put up with that long-term.

Can you give us any insight into what the long term solution could look like DTG JD?

Edit: grammar

• Like Like x 3
  44. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

DTG must surely have a developer complaint here. As you say, it more or less kills their business model on the PS5 platform. Why Sony should limit the DLC is absurd. I can’t see what technical benefit it brings - only negative.

• Like Like x 4
  45. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Agreed. From what I understand, you can still have all the DLC downloaded, but it won‘t show up in the game. If so, then I don‘t see any way there is a technical limitation at play here. It rather seems like an arbitrary limit to try to ensure that DLCs don‘t take up too much of the already very small SDD space.

• Like Like x 4
  46. Willowrpe

It would not surprise me if this issue was caused by how the game was designed, we have seen all sorts of issues with TSW 2020 / 2 over the years and on Xbox they have the sound issue. I feel like they rush out dlc before fixing the foundation of the game and if you build a house on bad foundations eventually it will collapse. It may even have to move to a TSW3 with a rebuilt foundation I suspect

• Like Like x 2
  47. ray.flanagan67

ray.flanagan67 Member

Wonder why I could play Dresden for a week before it disappeared.

• Like Like x 1
  48. DTG JD

These are all good questions, and questions I can't answer fully now. What I can say is as soon as we've been able to get clarity on issues, we've been as transparent as we can with you all.

We are working on options available to us - as you can imagine our end this is far from ideal. A larger core update is the sticking-plaster option (if we can make it work and it suits Sony's policies) which provides us time to work with Sony on a more all-encompassing solution.

At this point though, I can't confirm beyond the workaround at this stage.

• Like Like x 3
  49. DTG JD

The PS5 core update a couple of weeks ago seems to have activated the limit we mentioned above.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  50. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

So the limit was hiding in plain sight for the needs of the external ssd slot- explaining why PS4 doesn’t have this restriction. I wonder if this is some kind of paging limit the external ssd interface has to handle. Does the dlc cap also apply if TSW was on an external ssd instead of the internal?

• Like Like x 1