Skyhook Db Br 187 First Picture?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jolojonasgames, Oct 5, 2021.

1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

So, in the TSW community discord the picture below was shared. It's a bit grainy, but is apparently the first shot of Skyhook's upcoming DB BR 187 for Schnellfahrstrecke Köln - Aachen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A picture of the real deal, from a similar angle, to help you guys compare :).

Please share your thoughts on it below, but note that I haven't been able to find an official source for it anywhere, it is unknown to me whetere this is authentic.

I do personally think it feels like it's a little tall (just like on the loco on cane creek, there seems to be a lot of distance between the bogies and the loco), but that might also be the angle. Outside of that the loco looks pretty good to me :).

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

A bit of a missed opportunity for it to be DB red again. Could've gone with some private company and add a bit of variety (of course depending on licensing). Also, the DB version probably won't have the Last-Mile engine. Otherwise seems fine. Will definitely need more pictures to be able to judge more.

• Like Like x 4
  3. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

If this would be the final product, it looks okay given how grainy the image is. Whether it's too tall or ot remains to be seen, It does look like it's a little too tall though it could be the angle of the picture. One thing to point out is the visual appearance of the wheels though - it looks like they are donuts without anything in it. Might be me, but it looks like they only have a sort of brownish outline without anything in it.

I don't mind this loco having the standard DB livery, though having another private company in game would spice up the current color palette on the German routes a bit. Let's at least hope it brings some new services and substitutes nicely on other routes :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. jolojonasgames

I don't know about the wheels. They definetely have a bright outline, but the blackness inside could just be an unfortunate shadow. We will have to see more pictures if we want to judge it properly I think.

5. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from that image, but if they get it wrong there's zero excuse. The drawings are freely available online.

6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Does the db br 187 run passenger services?

7. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

No, but it does have a sister loco which does, the BR 147.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Is it just me or are all locos pretty generic these days, American freight locos, almost all German locos and all British emus. Ah, for the good old days when trains had their own individual looks and personalities.

• Like Like x 9
  9. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Depends on your prospective, the ACS 64 is obviously very different to the AC4400, the 187 for example is quite different to the 101, and a 323 is quite different to an electrostar.

There are a lot of trains out there now that you could say are very similar, but then you could say that about any time period really, what’s new and modern at the time is usually what everyone is going for, Germany did it with a lot of their locos, the US did, and the UK did with various trains too.

It’s easy to take say a class 37 and class 31 and say look how different these are, but then you can do exactly the same now with a class 68 and a class 70.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

I think it's more a case that there are "families" now moreso than the old days - many small slight differences between variants but the same overall styling. Locos/trains are being designed as more modular/customisable to cut down on development costs, so new customers can essentially pick from a catalogue which options/versions they need

ie "all British EMUs" sounds like it is aimed at the Electrostars, but whilst it is a very large family and all the members look very similar to each other, they are still quite obviously different to Networkers or Desiros.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JellyScrub

JellyScrub Active Member

Not really to do with the screenshot, but I like the ribs on the 187. It adds some character and depth. Anyone know if they have a purpose?

• Like Like x 2
  12. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

Make it cheaper to build.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jolojonasgames

You know, I was thinking that livery designer on this would be great with all the private operators that use the 187 :).

14. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

RailPool will be my first.

• Like Like x 2
  15. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I'm sure many repaints of that loco will be available to download in the weeks following the release. But I don't want to promise anything. I just already have some ideas.. :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I am interested in overall quality and functionality (working systems). I'm curious to see how much Skyhook has done.
    The picture is nice.

• Like Like x 3
  17. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

agreed, I was just looking at this thinking I’ve got one, maybe 3 that look similar to that

18. matinakbary

Their TS DLCS were pretty decent, so let's hope for some good stuff. It's their very first loco DLC for TSW, isn't it?

• Like Like x 2
  19. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I think they had their part in some other TSW trains (info on their website)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Ribbed construction is usually sturdier. Many locos have them inside though. Here the whole side should allow for easy ads being places on the locos as you can take panels and simply slide them inside the rails on the side.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

But in all respect, I feel like this is more of an "old days were better" comment, where memories are a bit deceiving. For example, we have 3 versions of the class 37 in the game, all of them with different class names and there were lots more that used the same design. Probably people would say that these might look alike, but are pretty much completely different vehicles. And the same happens essentially right now with the British EMUs.
    And personally, I find it easier based on looks to differentiate a german class 101,146, 143 and 187 from each other than a class 37, class 45 and class 40, which are locos from the good old diesel times.

• Like Like x 7
  22. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Agreed. Cane Creek‘s scenery was stunning, the locos unfortunately less so. I sincerely hope Skyhook has learned from that and that the 187 will turn out well.

• Like Like x 1
  23. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

I think there is also less variety (in looks) because national trainbuilders have all been upsurped into big corporations. Belgian trains were different from Dutch, French, ...

24. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Had it been Last Mile Diesel Engine then you can use this at Stolberg Düren Aachen Rothe Erde sidings that are un electrified. Wagon behind is Ruhr-Sieg Nord Roos-t 645

25. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

From what I can see, it is the same locomotive as what we have in all the German train set, so far we have it in either red or black, and all they changed is the number at the front, It sometime say 101, 146, 185, and now 187

A new locomotive would be nice

26. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Same really with the US: the "old days" were dominated by EMD E and F units, all very similar, and the minority of carbody diesels from Alco and Baldwin weren't all that different (certainly to laymen they all looked the same). And in Germany the Bundesbahn's electric traction was almost always the Standard Electric Locomotives, Einheitselektroloks (110/112/139/140/141/150), which were every bit as much a common-component family as the TRAXX family is.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

More screenshots were released today along with an October 14th release date for those that missed it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  28. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

She is a beauty, can’t wait to get my hands on this, I can see it quickly becoming my most used loco.

• Like Like x 3
  29. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I don't understand why it's got a frosted, matt finish, like the 425 on HRR, when all the photos of them IRL are bright, glossy red. Does the traffic red paint fade to a dull, flat pink like a 90s Fiat if they leave them out in the sun for a few days?

bombardier_traxx_dbcargo11-187141christianklotz_kassel20171114.jpeg bombardier_traxx_dbcargo10-187141christianklotz_kassel20171114.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  30. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

Awesome look!
    In my opinion one of the best looking freight locos currently to be seen in Germany. The only thing I don’t like is that we won’t get new freight wagons. The ones on the screenshots are the wagons from RSN; would have lived to see some open freight wagons like the Ea(n)os… But maybe some other day, 14th October is very nice btw. :D

What I would like to know is: Will it substitute to other routes? Or will we only be able to drive this one on SKA at the moment?

• Like Like x 2
  31. Clumsy Pacer

It might just be bloom?

32. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

From JD:

edit: 20 new services for SKA, 34 existing services will be playable, for a total of 54.

• There will be 54 new services on Köln-Aachen
    • In terms of substitution, there will be substitution available on these routes:
      • Riesa-Dresden: 112 playable services
      • Hamburg-Lübeck: 25 playable services
      • München-Augsburg: 27 playable services
      • Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr: 20 playable services
      • Rhein-Ruhr Osten: 13 playable services
      • Main Spessart Bahn: 193 playable services
      • Ruhr Sieg Nord: 57 playable services

• Helpful Helpful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Factor41

I hope so. If it looks anything like the finish of the 425 when they show it on the stream, it's a hard no from me.

34. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

lovely! One question for JD: It substitutes on HMA, I guess only for PC?

35. Clumsy Pacer

Yes, and next gen consoles (PS5, Series S and Series X)

• Like Like x 1
  36. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Since it’s a substitution for freight it can only do so with the freight layer active so yeah, PS5/XSX/S & PC only for that one.

• Like Like x 1
  37. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

This is interesting, since it means it will be the first loco to substitute on the MDB banking services. All other freight loco's apart from the 185.2 only have 79 freight services on MSB and can't sub on the banking services. Double checked all the other routes, but there are no new services on any of those.

One thing I'd love to see is some light shunting on SKA. There are lots of currently unused yards which have huge potential, it'd be great to see the 187 take advantage of this.

• Like Like x 4
  38. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to this and the extra services/substitutions which come with it. As long as it's fully rail driver ready, has AFB, PZB LZB and sifa and looks the part I'll be a happy man.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Clumsy Pacer

It'll look similar, if not identical, to those screenshots, because you can't turn off bloom without modding files.

40. Factor41

No mods for me on PS5. That saves me a tenner anyway!

41. jolojonasgames

That substitution does sound good to me and will definetely be one of my biggest reasons to buy it. You're getting more bang for your buck, as you can play it in different areas with different challenges (keeping to time on SKA, steep gradients on MSB, low speeds on RSN, etc.), and it also adds variety to the AI trains you see on more routes now.

One additional question, will the services it adds to SKA be playable with different locos aswell?

I'm also curious to find out about the look of the cab and the presence of systems like LZB (and the correct functioning of it PZB).

I assume we'll see a preview stream soon and I'm looking forward to it :).

• Like Like x 3
  42. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

No word on the services for SKA, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t have substitution enabled.

As for LZB/AFB & SIFA again I don’t see why they all of a sudden wouldn’t implement it these, and good luck to them if they haven’t.

In Cab shots I want to see too, we have a good handful of screenshots there and non are of the cab which is abit of a shame, hopefully we can see this loco in action before release as I’m most anxious about sounds.

• Like Like x 1
  43. jolojonasgames

I'm only slightly concerned about LZB, as up until a few months ago DTG didn't include it in their rolling stock that did below 160 km/h, and this is a private studio so maybe they haven't. I do assume they will have though.

Also wondering about sound, guess we'll have to wait until a preview stream or until after release.

44. Ben132465798

Ben132465798 Well-Known Member

And I hope, that LZB will work in cab since I do drive without hud and know a few who do too

• Like Like x 2
  45. jolojonasgames

+1

• Like Like x 1
  46. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

That’s a good point actually, I’ll change my stance to likely no LZB.

47. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

I am definitely getting this DLC loco.

48. matinakbary

I highly doubt that they won't include LZB. The tech is there. When even BR 146.2 and 185.5 (?) has is, why shouldn't this one? I'm pretty confident about SHG. Again: they've done a great job in TS, great content for TSW as 2nd and 3rd party. So this one will probably be a save bet :)

49. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

Substitution = no new runs

What is the point then to substitution, once you have done the run with the real locomotive, the run is mark as done for the substitution, it make no sense to have the substitution locomotive

50. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

20 new runs.

But I’ll let you in on a secret here, we like trains, so we buy them for that.

• Like Like x 6