London Commuter (brighton) - The Definitive Feedback Thread.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Oct 1, 2021.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

This audio cutting out lark. I thought this was me. When I'm driving the 377 /387 (and I think this was same on east Coastway) every now and again it sounds like the motor switches off.

I assumed it was when the pan shoes lost connection to third rail. Am I being an idiot?

2. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Like the Boston route, this one has its share of bugs which make play hard at times, so will wait until we have patches that actually help. Still sticking to my happy place CRR.

3. Sharon E

No that is exactly what is happening. When the shoes under the car go over a blank spot the motors cut out and come back once they make contact again. Keep in mind that all cars have shoes for the motors on that car, so the entire train does not loose power.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Unless there's freezing rain or ice on the 3rd rail of course. In those situations anything between 0 and 12 cars can have power. Good old Southern Region and their crazy "modernisation" plans.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Odakyū

Odakyū New Member

There's a cute little detail of a generic WSR Class 09 appearing in Brighton sidings to represent 09026 "Cedric Wares", who had been the resident shunter of Lovers Walk depot for a long time until retiring to the Spa Valley Railway in 2016.

[​IMG]

377s to 'Milton Keynes Central' only display 'Milton Keynes' on the destination displays when it should be the full station name. The station name list also stops after the 'Shepherd' part of 'Shepherd's Bush', leaving off most of the route.

[​IMG]

Some of the roads look like they're missing textures at night, like here near Clapham Junction. Driving on an inky black void probably isn't part of the standard London driving test.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Looking at the various posts in the Timetable feedback thread, it seems the whole set up is very fragile. The train service is just too ambitious for what the game engine is capable of. More so if you save and resume, in the case I recorded, even though the player service seemingly restored okay the AI evidently did not and in addition this led to me being unable to take over a train which did appear as the signalling sequence did not adjust for the train(s) which failed to appear and wouldn't clear or let me Tab past a red signal.

Think BML timetable needs a serious rebuild with fewer services and complexity along with a concerted effort to actually sort any core issues impinging on this, particularly the save/load irregularities which continue to plague the game and DTG remain silent about. A project of this complexity should never have been attempted until those problems were addressed. There is zero point in having a (nearly) all day timetable as a feature of the program if it is just going to collapse. If all we can do is drive a single service then start afresh, then TSW offers little benefit over TS.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

No rework required, just remove the save continue feature - its never worked so people need to stop trying (lets ignore the issues around that) - The route is only good because of the amount of services - without them its just a plain bland route. The audio needs another pass to boost levels but apart form that its probably the best work theyve done yet - lets see how they step backwards for the next release.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m not sure a rebuild of the timetable is necessary. When talking about the timetable, Joethefish told us how he went through the timetable hour by hour making sure each service was working and not getting held up for too long. For instance, I have been able to complete Chapter 1 journey 1M03, whilst others have experienced trains blocking the path. This suggests there is something wonky somewhere that is affecting some players and not others. My PS5 crashed whilst running Chapter 1 journey 1W03, but not when opening the doors. Mine crashed at a red signal outside Brighton station (after accessing the map) when my route was blocked by another GX 387.

There’s more likely an underlying issue at play here, what that might (I have no clue), but the more info we can give, the better.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OldVern

The selling point of TSW is that you get a complete day's timetable otherwise what's the point over TS? And to suggest the save game should be removed on a title where some routes still offer runs of well over an hour (Clinchfield for example) is not practical. Not all of us want or have the time to spend that much time on the computer, there is a life outside gaming and train simming. That's a bit like suggesting if your headache won't go, cut your head off...

No, DTG need to pull their socks up and fix the issues whether it be route specific or more likely core which continue to plague the title.

Sadly I have now passed the 2 hour limit testing this route and dreary Dresden, otherwise I would seriously consider getting my money back.

• Like Like x 4
  10. chieflongshin

Few things for the devs here. This was on a Northbound 16:01 from Brighton to Gatwick. I've left the distance markers up but hopefully with that and knowing it's northbound it should help you locate.

I believe this is unfinished road but it is definitely an unfinished train at Thamelink depot..

Hope this helps.
    Screenshot (141).png Screenshot (142).png Screenshot (143).png

• Like Like x 2
  11. chieflongshin

I was also poking around Haywards Heath and took this nice pic.

Screenshot (138).png

Do we have any GAS stations in Uk or are we still using petrol. Also, I don't think we have red chevron roundabouts do we?

Screenshot (137).png

Pic enclosed

Screenshot (147).png

• Like Like x 2
  12. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Just made my first Brighton to London run in the 387.

Good: Generally well modeled, stations look decent ( I'm not familiar with the route, so I can't speak to accuracy).
    Excellent frame rates, bit of a pleasant surprise. No significant dips, even in and around Victoria.
    Smooth running, almost no stutters.
    Save/Resume function works well on this route.

Not so good:
    Very little cab sway or movement
    Too quiet in the cab. Even with both windows open, passing trains are silent.
    Very few passengers. Train pretty empty. Only one passenger on the platform at Gatwick!! Weren't we promised RH passengers at launch?
    Not as much AI traffic as I was expecting. Nor was it as varied.
    Slow or delayed alert clearance. A little disconcerting.

I have yet to drive at night. That will be a major deciding factor for me.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  13. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I guess its possible. All the unload-all is missing from the scenario :)

14. chieflongshin

Crosstie i feel similar to you. Rush hour passengers are coming. I think there was some optimisation going . I did a 4pm-5pm to Victoria last night and I saw a few trains but no hold ups. To get the variety you have to pretty much have GWR, SEHS and 465. Bit aggrieved to buy 465 when it has no playable service and SEHS isn't one of my go to routes. I just wish they could stop this whole loco locked to route rubbish now they're layering things up. I know it makes financial sense to them as you have to buy a route and a loco but I'm not really liking it personally

• Like Like x 5
  15. chieflongshin

Has anyone noticed the shimmering gantry bridge at Brighton, if you out the camera near it it seems like the pieces are colliding

16. Ello_bobbie

Ello_bobbie New Member

Has anyone else noticed that occasionally the AWS will alert, but you receive no audio? I haven’t got any specific examples (will get them), but I’ve noticed it in a few places.

• Like Like x 7
  17. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

I've noticed the unit numbers are screwed on the left hand side monitor screen. This was in a class 387 cab but i've noticed the same incorrect numbering (An extra digit) in the 377 cab too.

TSW2_David_1633772695_00.jpg

18. chieflongshin

Ok, own up, who stole the level crossing at Reigate?

Screenshot (149).png
    upload_2021-10-9_13-23-9.png

• Like Like x 6
  19. Crosstie

I do have all the layers and required DLC, but on my Brighton-London morning rush hour run I just saw a few 377's and 387's and I think one GX at Gatwick. I was expecting more.
    And my approach to Victoria wasn't especially busy, either. It was just one service, so I'll run some more and see if it improves.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

On both the runs I've tried (the first 'journey' on GX and a scheduled run in the 377 from Reigate) I've ended up deadlocked by the scheduler, which I put down to the known issues with Save/Resume. I'll have to find enough time to play again 'straight through' and see if they recur.

21. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

All the PIS screens at Clapham Junction appear to all be facing the wrong way, should be able to view from down the platform.

20211009141431_1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  22. OldVern

Agree... Save/Load is as broken for this route as all the others if not actually more. The player train resumes okay, as I found, but the AI and signalling sequencing is shattered.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Crosstie

Oh, you've just raised a red flag for me. I've assumed since the player train resumes as normal that everything is back to the way it was before the save. Is this not the case? And how can you tell if signaling and AI are messed up?

24. chieflongshin

I was thinking as well what someone mentioned earlier on the forum about this route being all electrostar. It's made me realise what is so good about Dresden, its the variety of stock. The Uk routes because the eras have been all over the shop are really weak at the moment in terms of stock. I think we really need some trains that layer in that are a little different, be that railtours, freight etc.

Its nigh on (and I love the volume here) 1400 services of green or red. There must be more UK trains to choose from that are current that could run here and equally whether ECML or WCML is next it needs to be a decent long route like this with one or two new trains. I'll put my hand in my pocket for variety

• Like Like x 1
  25. Quentin

You can't tell immediately, but it appears you're much more likely to experience a red light that never clears further on in the run. On the GX run to Brighton, I was stuck behind another two GX trains stopped at red signals; on the run from Reigate, I was waiting for a train to leave the station and cross in front of me, but it never moved even though it had a green light. It may be that these issues can arise if you haven't resumed, but my experience with other routes suggest that it's much more likely when you have.

26. OldVern

See my post in the Timetable Feedback re Reigate... But to recap, resumed a run with a 166 from Gatwick to Reigate just on the approach to Redhill. That loaded okay as indicated by the objectives appearing top LH of the screen. Signalling worked normally and I left the train at Reigate to go off to the portal. Next train on the Down platform should have been a Southern service at 0823 turning back as 0830 to Victoria, but it never appeared. I crossed to the Up Platform and attempted to take over an incoming Class 166 from Reading, however the signal just beyond the platform remained at red and I couldn't Tab past it. That indicates to me the AI was still expecting the 0830 off the Down Platform even though the signal for that was also red. As we don't know exactly how the despatcher works, i.e. whether it is all scripted or whether there is some dynamic adjustment I have to assume the AI simply gives up.

This is slightly different to what I've experienced previously e.g. on the Bakerloo Line where you don't get the LH objective and all the other trains are at a standstill with red signals - I know, I walked the route from Headstone Lane to Wembley Central and observed this.

Sadly DTG know quite nicely this is an issue but they forged ahead with RH and BML regardless.

• Like Like x 2
  27. OldVern

I really do think with hindsight this should have been a retro 70's route. So much more variety and plenty of scope for DLC, too - Thumpers to the Oxted Lines (and 33's in the peak), 33's and 73's on the main line too.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Crosstie

Oh, absolutely agree. Would love to have seen the slam door era. That would have opened the door for more freight and maybe the old " Brighton Belle ".

Of course I think this way about pretty much every route to be honest. The upcoming HSC, for instance, would be a thousand percent better in the Pennsy era. And, while Sherman is a good route, I would have preferred a vintage N&W or B&O coal route, in the same vein as CRR.

29. chieflongshin

I'll need to google above. I think I may have still been swinging between my dads legs at that stage OldVern or newly released. That said I do like the older trains and would happily run them on new route but appreciate others will want relevant signalling and era details.

• Like Like x 1
  30. OldVern

Anyhow further to my issue at Reigate, as a control I started the timetable again and ran to Reigate without saving. This time, the Southern service had spawned in and arrived where I was able to take over and depart at 0930.
    So would seem to indicate a "core" issue rather than route specific. I have had to come off and save again just after departing Merstham so will be interesting to see how it plays out later.

One thing which was a bit disconcerting at Reigate though, as the Class 166 was departing passengers were still moving up to the side of the train while moving and somehow morphing through the doors, which is another bug it seems.

31. chieflongshin

I ran the quarry scenario one earlier and I’d recommend looking out your cab as you pass by other trains. Some are totally empty

32. podinc

podinc Member

[​IMG]
    A lopsided light pole @ selhurst

[​IMG]
    A "uncoloured" class 166? @ Three bridges depot

A tree smack in the way northbound @ around south croydon

• Like Like x 1
  33. Quentin

Replayed them straight through with no problems, so I'm blaming the Save/Resume function.

• Like Like x 1
  34. OldVern

And I can just report another save game fail.
    Had completed station duties at Merstham and started to depart with next stop at Coulsdon shown on the objectives when I saved then exited.
    On resuming the LH upper objective has reverted to "Unlock Doors". No way of recovering from this and getting the Coulsdon stop to appear.
    Game over. Again. I couldn't tell what the state of the rest of the service was in as there seemed no point in trying to continue.

Dovetail - your game is seriously broken if it cannot save and resume a timetable session in progress.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Crosstie

It's unlikely to be fixed. It's not on the Roadmap and I haven't heard it mentioned in a stream or by a moderator on the forum in ages, if it ever was. Thing is, it works for me as far as the player train is concerned, but now I'm thinking that's just a false positive and the rest of the service is off track.

36. OldVern

Well unless DTG do get round to fixing it, you are really stuck then with having to finish a run in one session. Don't expect to do a full shift or work more than one service. In which case apart from slightly prettier graphics (?) and the ability to walk round in first person, you might as well go back to playing TS, Open Rails or any of the other train sim products out there.

37. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

[​IMG]I really want to know how reigate ended up in this state lmao

• Like Like x 2
  38. frank351981

frank351981 Active Member

as mentioned earlier by someone, I have too detect some weird AWS behavior. Express southbound, just before East Croydon: suddenly 45mph without warning (not even in the HUD, there was only a 60 before), local train northbound before Clapham: 20mph without AWS warning.
    And at some places I miss some signs with upcoming speed restrictions - but don´t know if this is real and the driver has "to know" where to brake to speed XY.
    And expect the strange UE4 error, for example in first journey after arriving in Brighton its a nice route.

39. OldVern

At this point I think the best way to appreciate BML is to forget the timetable. Open up scenario editor, plonk down the biggest Class 33 hauled consist you can find, no other traffic. Enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  40. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

What gets usually broken for me is the dispatching, where you have two trains runnig opposite, contesting for a single piece of track, i.e. one train comming into platform, the other train is leaving,. It looks like that, sometimes, after resumed saved game, the dispatcher gives priority and builds route for the wrong train. I.e. the train entering the platform. So the train entering the platform has route set, but cannot move, because it has red light, as the block is occupied. And the train departing platform has red light, because it doesn't have a valid route... So they will just end-up sitting there.

This can happend also to player train, and it has happened to me in West Somerset Railway, where I got stuck at a platform, because I got deadlocked with a AI train comming the opposing way, to another platform. It doens't usually happend to the player trains, because on usuall routes it is the hub portion (London, Boston..etc), that creates the precondition (opposite running trains on the same track), which is not the place you'll usually save and restore.

It really should get fixed, as savegame functionality should be pretty standard in 2021...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  41. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what these signs mean? I've seen them along the route with different symbols on them.
    20211010091854_1.jpg

42. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

That’s to warn the driver that they are approaching a section prone to excessive leaf fall / poor adhesion.

43. chieflongshin

Cramnor I believe it’s a hazard sign for potential of leaves on the rails.

44. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Thanks, I was figuring something like that but wasn't sure that would actually be done :D Interesting, thanks for the quick replies :)

• Like Like x 1
  45. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I never saw that properly first few times, thought it was a misplaced texture!

46. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

If you play on PC, I’ve fixed this visual issue here

It won’t fix the actual light reflection though unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

After watching this cab ride im convinced DTG did a nice job with the route. So far my favourite modern UK route.

Here a video of a thameslink driver, Brighton to London Bridge:

48. OldVern

I don't think anyone is denying the route builder did a good job, apart from the Bermuda Triangle aka Reigate, as did the timetable compiler. The problems stem largely from issues with the core game itself and a seeming rush to push the DLC regardless of what must have been well known shortcomings with how it would play.

Edit:
    At least now we have a UK route where we can give our classic diesel traction a good fast thrash for a reasonable distance. Driving from the 33 or 40 with the clear cab view gives a much better look at the scenery and infrastructure than the cramped view from the plastic electrickery. Even down to noticing the lineside fencing missing in one or two places, sections of the Quarry Line and going on towards Croydon.

• Like Like x 2
  49. Sharon E

Is that one of Ben's videos? I have watched all he has posted and am sorry that events have stopped his posting for now. Went back to YouTube and yes it is one of his. I watched it after knowing this route was coming and what I am seeing is a close match to what we are playing.

50. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Yes, regarding your last point, I'm starting to drive with view keyboard press 3 and place the view at the front of the cab - just like a cab ride video perspective. I too find the view from the EMUs v restrictive, (like real life I guess) so with the better view you get to appreciate just what a great job the route builders have done. However, If VR was implemented I'm sure I'd drive exclusively from the cab!

• Like Like x 2