Train Sim World 2 - On The Way To St Ives

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Sep 29, 2021.

1. locobilly

locobilly Well-Known Member

A nice setting beside the sea. Will remind me of summer holidays from the past. The way to travel in Cornwall too, avoiding the travel jams on the A30.

2. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

As much as the sectorisation era is my favourite, I'm disappointed that this isn't even in the GWR era as I was expecting the HST to drop into this route, to a) add variety to player and AI services, and b) give us somewhere different to run the HST. We really do need an Intercity liveried train, if not an HST then a 47 with some Mk2s. Until then I think this will be a "wait for the sale" one for me - Cathcart Circle has taught me that 2 passenger trains is a minimum for a full price route, even if that means using stock I already have.

• Like Like x 5
  3. locobilly

locobilly Well-Known Member

Yes it's a pity they couldn't have taken the route a bit further east then we could have had the area around Par and the China Clay freight workings. That would have made it an awesome dlc. I wouldn't have minded paying a bit more for that.

4. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

Yes once the trains get west Plymouth they stop at *most* stations every time

• Like Like x 1
  5. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Question is will rivet let us have the gwr hst layer, whilst not accurate to the time period with the Livery designer it would allow us to make our own IC livery minus the headlights and sounds

• Like Like x 2
  6. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Surely it'll be easy just to create activities with HSTs for those complaining?

7. Skyz2020

I agree Marc, but will be interesting to see if rivet take the time to speak to DTG about adding a layer

• Like Like x 2
  8. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

In all seriousness though do you really expect them to essentially make a whole new train at this point, and then create a timetable for it?

If a HST comes it will be with a loco add on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dave from Cornwall

What you will find in the 1990's is a very antiquated, low volume railway.

John Majors crowd were really considering stopping the trains at Plymouth for good.

There was only 1 train an hour going each way 1) because of the antiquated signalling 2) the single line between Truro and Snozzle 3) Because of cuts.

The line was only duelled again in the early 2000's for the millennium.

So yes there should be a HST or two kicking about, but if Rivet have populated the line with 150/2s for our pleasure, then there really isnt any space for the HST!

I note they have said there are 62 services, and that makes sense, an half hourly service between St Erth and St Ives (~20 ish), and then the rest on the mainline.

In real life there was until the improvement in the signalling along the line and the introduction to a train every half hour, only a HST to Paddington every other hour, with the intermediate hour taken by the 150/2 as the Plymouth hopper train with a connection to London. Which was really annoying if you got the wrong train home as it meant changing at Plymouth in the pouring rain and blowing gale.

Compared to the Brighton Mainline this is going to feel like the Mary Celeste in terms of action!

But then back in the 90's Cornwall train frequency was like the Mary Celeste!

D

• Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  10. Skyz2020

Very useful info, thank you

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

Have they given a precise year to which the timetable has been modelled upon?

12. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

It's really more about the timetable - you want traffic on regular services, or when exploring, to be as dense and varied as possible

• Like Like x 3
  13. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

14. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

What do you mean? The weather’s always beautiful here in Plymuff (except this morning when it was precipitating down).

• Like Like x 1
  15. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

And, of course, Camborne on Wednesdays:)

• Like Like x 2
  16. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Dear Jasper Rivet,
    I have been playing the West Cornwall route. It is Wednesday and I have been instructed to stop at Camborne. This totally kills the immersion and makes the game completely unplayable. Once again, Rivet have messed up the timetable.

(Note to Jasper and anyone else who doesn’t get the references - Google Jethro, cornish comedian)

• Like Like x 2
  17. dave from Cornwall

Just some more modern spam from my way to Penzance at the weekend.

The view of the Scillonian 3 on the quay as you pull into PZ
    A funky mural on the wall.
    Looking back down the train shed
    A view of St Ives in the distance from Hayle.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  18. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

Only me who couldn't work out if the first pic was real or not? Thought I'd missed an early release!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rail Runner

I was the same.
    The route looks to be a fantastic route, especially considering the preview showed, what sounded like, the 150 using AP sounds.
    Just need some more layers for other locomotives haha.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rail Runner

Fantastic photos, as ever, Dave.
    Doesn’t look like the route has changed much.

• Like Like x 1
  21. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

Everything in the 90s, there is only one British route set in the 90s and that came with a class 101 as the DMU. Regarding modern routes we have GWE, Cathcart, ECW, SEHS and BML coming this week!

• Like Like x 2
  22. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

Not even sure what route was issued in the 90's previously as NTP/Tees were 80's and Diesel Legends was 70's with a 101.

Either way, the lad above who said about things being new, it is because they were not born to experience this era and clearly only want to drive things they see every day, which is also quite unfair to the older generation who would like to witness the old school traffic that was once roaming the British Rail network.

• Like Like x 7
  23. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I've only really started seriously enjoying trains in the last few years, but the historian in me can't be contained. I am very much a fan of the older settings, NTP, for example, is my absolute favourite route in the game, not only does it have a damn fine collection of rolling stock but it's a familiar route for me during my time at uni.

I am very excited to see another proper historic British route for the first time in what feels like ages, whilst I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of the new wagons I certainly appreciate having some new toys to play with, could be fun with the scenario editor too.

What's really selling this route is the 150 and that is for a number of reasons. First, the livery, something unique in the game and an icon of the British railways, which although I missed out on I still have a great appreciation for. I must confess, I am a sucker for all things Mark 3 based, having grown up on the GEML with the 90s and Mk 3 sets alongside the 321s (and more recently 322s) and then having lived in Manchester for a few years with 150s and 319s being some of my most frequented units. Mk 3s and the units which spawned from them have defined my experience of the railways for my entire life so am I am very much glad to see a Mk 3 based unit in the game.

For me, the 150/2 we will be getting fills almost all the boxes, an iconic train with an iconic livery. A train which I grew to know and love as part of my travels in the North West.

So yeah, for the rolling stock alone this will be worth the price for me (once I have the money).

• Like Like x 7
  24. DigiTMCN

DigiTMCN Member

Is the first pic from dev build and the other pic the final build? If so TSW2 is looking better and better each time considering it's only UE4. Cannot wait for UE5 TSW3

25. alexjjones6024

Can anybody at Rivet games advise of the state of the Class 37 you are including in the route? I really would like you to consider AP sounds and definitely a reworked cab and external body work. I'm sure there are several members here who can provide photos of how they appeared in the 90s for reference if not done so already?

I am a little bit worried you will use the already available class 37 for Tees valley and alot of TSW2 users will be disappointed.

Just a polite heads up before your first stream next Friday.

26. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

they already commented on the 37 and said it was getting an updated cab, so that to me says they aren’t going to do anything huge with it.

27. alexjjones6024

Oh no, you're kidding??

Where that was that stated?

I'm hugely disappointed... That's a game changer now

28. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

From the article for the route:
    What rolling stock can the player look forward to?
    Matt: West Cornwall Local is releasing with the Class 150/2, the Class 37/5 and two wagons. The wagons are the Turbot and the Seacow. Both locos will offer a lot of options for driving the Penzance route. The 150 is an all-new train to Train Sim World 2 and the Class 37/5 has been updated visually for the route plus this version can now be reskinned in the Livery Designer.

So yeah only specifies visual changes.

• Like Like x 1
  29. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting as the majority of 37/5s that we’re based at St Blazey had centre headcode boxes, the only one fitting with the TVL re-engineered split headcode flush fronts is 37521 as I’m reasonably sure (I stand to be corrected) all the others were allocated to Thornaby and would have been very rare in Cornwall in the 90s

30. alexjjones6024

Great, cheers for updating me on the info!

I think that is so lazy when most of their add ones these days use AP sounds.

Why be half hearted, it surely is a simple addition ?

31. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

To reconfigure and remix all the sounds from scratch? Surely not.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  32. alexjjones6024

You surely get my point though?
    I don't see how acquiring correct sounds is a hard ask etc...

Surely some form of immersion from better sounds, considering there are potentially no further layers being added and so on..

33. Callum B.

Acquiring quality recordings is the easy part when it comes to audio in Unreal. Making them sound good in-game is an art.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  34. alexjjones6024

Really disappointing to hear and a poor decision made. Would have been nice to have received this and bring the route to life a little more...

35. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I don't think you get it. It's not simply "plug in raw sound files from AP, instant magic." The key to good sound is in the mixing, which is very hard and time-consuming to get right.

• Like Like x 2
  36. alexjjones6024

Ok, maybe I don't 'get it', quite as you expect me to. I think my point is being misled also. Some locos that have been featured previously (47 blue, HST,166) They have had sound upgrades as the game/simulator moves on. If you are creating a new route and wish to add the material (loco) to it, why do you feel it could be ruled out? Surely there is some possibility for it to be implemented. The same would go for the 150 and it's sounds, especially as both locos were announced in the route pack...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  37. Callum B.

Certainly, it is a possibility. The statement in contention is this (emphasis mine):
    Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  38. alexjjones6024

Yeah, I have got no quibbles with that. Maybe not my finest choice of words.

• Like Like x 1
  39. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Ahh Rivet. I'm still waiting for IOW and Arosa line fixes. They seem to release buggy routes but will give a patch after a month, which usually breaks something else and then silence from them.

Its been over 3 months since they said a fix for the dynamic break issue, where you get no power for 5 minutes after using it on the downhill, was coming soon. About a month ago when someone asked about the update on Rivets forums the answer back was literally "We've moved on to other projects."

So since then I decided to never buy anything Rivet releases again until the Arosa Line is fixed. So that should be never ever since they have such great customer service, they are too busy making new products for money we can't be bothered to fix what you have already paid for.

• Like Like x 5
  40. Warspite

Warspite Well-Known Member

I posted this on the 'Penzance to St Austell & St Ives' thread under PC Discussion if it helps:

Although Laira's 37s were 37/5s, they did not have the same noses as the 37/5s in TVL. Those were in the series 37501 to 37521 and rebuilt from the split headcode 37s. The headcode boxes were removed on rebuilding leaving a plain front with the marker lights as in TVL. The Laira 37/5s were in the series 37667 to 37699 and rebuilt from centre headcode 37s. The headcode 'panel' was filled in with the marker lights incorporated. From 1991, Laira also had at least four 37/4s including two (37417 and 37420) in the original InterCity livery. To be correct for a Cornish class 37/5 in the early 1990s, Rivet will need to rework the nose to have the filled-in headcode panel and not the TVL version with the plain nose and marker lights. The only exception was 37521 which had the TVL nose but I don't think it arrived in Cornwall until EWS days.

• Like Like x 1
  41. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

very not good route no buy

42. Coastway trainspotter

How do you know it won’t be good ?

43. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Are you DB628 alt account ? And how do you know it’s not a good route without seeing the preview streaming anyway ?

• Like Like x 6
  44. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

completely random question but have you (or anyone) ever seen 37521 in game on TVL? I don’t think I have.

45. Tank621

I have indeed:

20210510010156_1.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  46. Coastway trainspotter

I think it might be

• Like Like x 1
  47. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

You might be right about 521 not working off Laira / St Blazey until EWS days but I think it was a petroleum sector loco, possibly based at Cardiff Canton?, i won’t say it never worked as someone will prove me wrong but, i never saw it on steel trains in the North East until it was in EWS livery with “English China Clays” nameplates

• Like Like x 1
  48. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

Thanks for confirming, I was getting convinced it wasn’t in game!

• Like Like x 1
  49. Tank621

Lucky chance really, I only have screenshots of maybe 2 or 3 37s, that one was from May

• Like Like x 1
  50. Warspite

Warspite Well-Known Member

A couple of pictures of the 'real' 37521 in Cornwall I've taken from my 1998 video (sorry about the video screenshot quality again). Both were at Golant between Lostwithiel and Carne Point (Fowey) where the china clay is loaded into ships.

The first is 37521 running light engine back to Lostwithiel and the second is 37521 retuning to Lostwithiel having collected empty CDAs.

37521 Golant (light engine) 1998.jpg
    37521 Golant 1998.jpg .

• Like Like x 12