1938 Stock - Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG JD, Oct 6, 2021.

1. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Experience a true London veteran that harkens back to the Art Deco era, with Rivet Games’ London Underground 1938 Tube Stock coming to Train Sim World 2, October 14!

[​IMG]

Please find the article linked here.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 12
  2. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

finally more trains for the BKL! Exicted to ride this beauty :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

The PIS on the front is a very nice style

• Like Like x 1
  4. moofeen#2182

moofeen#2182 Active Member

Pause

5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Not one for my collection. Especially if the PS5 total DLC size limit isn’t resolved. In fact, until that issue is resolved, BML will likely be my last DLC (which I’ve already paid for).

• Like Like x 6
  6. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Two Releases on successive Thursdays? Why I do believe we are being spoiled, Cant wait to purchase this.

• Like Like x 3
  7. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Is the reflection of the lights not upside down?
    Screenshot 2021-10-06 at 15.35.02.png

• Like Like x 20
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

Rivet do a phenomenal job with modelling trains, and I do love the older Tube stock, but I am cautious about this as their past two DLCs haven’t had the best timetabling.

• Like Like x 5
  9. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

User: "Do you wish to invert your reflection?"
    Rivet Games: "Hold my beer"

• Like Like x 8
  10. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

Which way are the lights on the class 483 ;) might explain it to some degree, not that I’m suggesting corners have been cut of course…

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

Wow I didn't even catch that at first glance. How the heck did Rivet Games missed this?

• Like Like x 4
  12. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Somebody on a stream mentioned that the 483 was taken as base.
    Either jasper on the rivet stream or adam on dovetails roadmap stream yesterday.

I dont see anything wrong with that, the real 483 was made out of an 38 stock, just refurbished. They did a nice job with its retro look.

The only one was ever cutting corners in a 38 stock was the driver at moorgate 1975. There is a doku about it, really spooky that happening.

• Like Like x 1
  13. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

The eyewitness on the platform as it went past have always sent a chill down my spine with how they described the driver. Just looking straight ahead, all glassy eyed.

• Like Like x 2
  14. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

Not sure how I feel about every train having “Special” on the destination board, isn’t this timetable meant to be set in the actual operating period of the 38 stock?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

So does this add a separate timetable or is the '38 Tube Stock just mixed into the existing one?

BKL feels empty, though the new passenger system helps a little. This doesn't seem to improve things- just seems like a very niche DLC.

I'd rather they'd add some AI traffic to the above-ground sections personally.

16. Lunar_Twisted

I believe it’s going to be a separate timetable. This is what Jasper_Rivet said on Rivet Games forums.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Rivets take on Diesel Legends. Old stock running on a separate timetable in Modern scenery.

I'll pass.

• Like Like x 9
  18. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Only for free it’s a try :D

• Like Like x 2
  19. locobilly

locobilly Well-Known Member

Looks very nice, I especially like the wooden floors these old tube stock have. I trust the sounds for walking around inside will be updated too?

• Like Like x 1
  20. meridian#2659

The chance is high bakerloo gets backdated by a modder at some point.
    Gwe vintage mods are also available to enjoy diesel legends

So for me a buy.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Lunar_Twisted

Jasper_Rivet there's a typo in the title of the video.

Edit: Typo fixed in the title.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  22. gibsonaj1

gibsonaj1 Active Member

Just to say that the colour green that Rivet games are using is way to pale and should be the shade of green in the inserted photo img_2109.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  23. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I think TSW's washed-out graphics are the main problem here. It's also worth noting that photo was edited to have more saturation and contrast.

• Like Like x 1
  24. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m thinking this is a DLC that isn’t going to do well. I like the 1938 stock a lot but I am thinking that I won’t buy this after watching the stream. Driving the 483 on IoW has already scratched the itch of driving this train and Bakerloo is a route I just don’t use much at all. It looks like a very nice model but I just know I wouldn’t use it much. Too many other things are looking more enticing for whenever the DLC limit issue on PS5 allows me to dare buy anything else.

I think also that the fact that nobody has posted anything about it, good or bad, since the live stream aired that not that many people are interested in it at all. It may be the timing having something to do with that, but I was really excited about IoW coming out and for this I’m just not. The stream didn’t do anything to inspire me either. The train is in my profile picture and I don’t want it for Bakerloo.

• Like Like x 11
  25. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I must say I can agree with that to an extent. As someone who only plays British content, I can't really justify getting it, unfortunately. The Bakerloo Line and the Isle of Wight are definitely my least used routes, not because of any flaws within the routes themselves but because there isn't really much to draw into them.

I will reconsider perhaps when I am in a little bit more of a financially secure position and/or it goes on sale but for now I am far more interested in getting the BML or West Cornwall routes instead as I truly am excited to play those.

That being said, the unit itself does look really nice and it does seem to be a unique piece of rolling stock, even if it is the same as the 483 at first glance. I'm sure I'll have some fun with it eventually but for now, it just doesn't excite me.

• Like Like x 3
  26. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

My friend and I (I have friends) both agreed that the biggest issue with the 1938 Tube Stock was that it fails to justify its own existence. The main cause of that is that it adds nothing, yet takes things away at the same time. It is a London Underground train, which we already have, but also would look as out of place - or more - than the Diesel Legends pack. And remember that pack had interesting and varied gameplay, compared to this which has the same gameplay we've had for a year on the Bakerloo Line.

A solution I like is implementing it the same way it was in Train Simulator - giving it its own route. The London Transport Heritage Collection, despite poor reviews, is a perfect route for me. It has beautiful scenery, a bunch of trains and different services to do, and it's in Network SouthEast colours. Rivet's 1938 Tube Stock should have come with a little branch line or something to give it somewhere unique to drive. And because it would probably be fictional, they could get away with having a mud beach!

• Like Like x 1
  27. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

I have no good or bad thoughts about this dlc, in my opinion it’s just a rebuilt 483 with cosmetic changes and a new reskin which anyone can do in livery creator, I agree with StuJoy the fact no one is talking about this is concerning as it may not sell well, I will be buying for review purposes for my YouTube channel but I don’t see me being blown away by this or wanting to drive this much as I’ve already done it in iow

• Like Like x 2
  28. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

After the livestream, well... it looks like it's another Rivet DLC I'm passing on completely. The model is really quite good! But the sounds were pretty abysmal. Sorry. There were just no braking sounds, no ticking of the motor kicking in when the train pulls away? I understand the complexity of trying to source sounds for a train that really doesn't run anywhere anymore, but not even just copying those sounds from the 1972 stock? That's just a baffling decision.

Also, maybe don't send a representative from your company to the livestream who 1) doesn't seem to have much knowledge of the model/DLC that his company worked on or the train it's replicating and 2) doesn't even seem to be interested in a product he actually worked on. If the people who made the DLC seem entirely unenthused, how am I as a potential customer expected to get excited about it?

• Like Like x 12
  29. Lunar_Twisted

I do like operating the Bakerloo line a lot since the release of TSW 2 last year. I can agree that there aren't a lot of buzz surrounding this DLC but only a few. Maybe because not everybody plays the Bakerloo line, therefore they have no interest in the upcoming '38 Stock. The Class 483 on Isle of Wight was great to drive on the short route. I appreciate the details that Rivet Games did with this loco but it's another pass for me. I will wait for WCL instead and pray that the route will be great. I hope they take the feedback seriously after what the community saw with how the scenery look at St Ives railway station.

• Like Like x 1
  30. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

The only way I could see this selling well would be if the timetable was busier than the existing timetable (as this would be a good reason to get it). But sadly I won't be getting it for a few reasons:

- Reduced timetable
    - Questionable sounds
    - No ongoing product support from Rivet

As always though, it's a nice looking model. Just doesn't tick many boxes for me.

• Like Like x 5
  31. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

No interest in this whatsoever.

• Like Like x 5
  32. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you’ve said , I think I’ll get WCL instead

• Like Like x 1
  33. Coastway trainspotter

We don’t know if the 187 will be any good though

34. mancunian#7861

mancunian#7861 Active Member

Not sure what WCL stands for but I do enjoy the Bakerloo line as I used to use the Underground a lot when I visited London as a lad. I don't enjoy the IOW however although I'm writing as a result of the interesting discussion yesterday about the guard rail. I'm old enough to remember them in use. As a 10/11 year old, I used to love watching the guards and once or twice was even allowed to press the buttons for the guard - albeit when he told me to, after my parents had told him it's what I wanted to be when I 'grew up'. :)

I remember some guards used to operate from the last carriage of the train but often it would be more central and that's where I tend to remember the guards using the rail, especially during rush hour. Here's a couple of photos and a video (see from around 3:04). Maybe Sam and Matt from Rivet Games will find it interesting, as neither had heard of them. :)

guard bar in place.jpg
    guard bar used during rush hour.jpg

The video was too large to upload as a file but hopefully the link will work instead -

• Like Like x 9
  35. meridian#2659

I can understand the 38stock isnt in everybodies interest. Im not worried about the route, a mod will remove pis screens etc., the only contra will be no extension to watford in this case.

As a huge fan of heritage rolling stock i will buy it. Nobody is forced to like every release for tsw.

• Like Like x 4
  36. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Better still, there is a short heritage line on Alderney that could have been used. Their train is a 1959 stock so it wouldn’t be truly accurate but I think it would fit the bill sufficiently.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Agree. I've barely played Bakerloo with the modern trains. I can't see it improving with crusty old ones!

• Like Like x 2
  38. Coastway trainspotter

WCL stands for West Cornwall local , the route coming soon to TSW by rivet games

• Like Like x 2
  39. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

My opinion on this is pretty much the same as Diesel Legends- I won't buy it if they're not gonna go to the effort of making the route feel like it's period accurate.

Unlike Diesel Legends however I can see myself buying it if it ever goes on sale. I think it'll be easier to pretend it's a heritage tour type thing, unlike Diesel Legends which I didn't need simply because I could create a scanario with the Western on GWE for a rail tour.

I do hope this pattern of putting old stock on new routes isn't too much of a pattern, and if they do decide to do more of it then I'd definitely want them to do work on the stations etc. That sounds like something that would be good to outsource to a third party developer if they can't be bothered themselves. Wasn't there a 70s mod for GWE? If members of the community can create something like that in their own time I don't see what DTG and Rivet's excuse is.

• Like Like x 2
  40. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I think this sums up what I was feeling while watching the stream. I love Diesel Legends because of the varied gameplay and getting added interesting use from GWE and the great older trains but this offers very little in terms of new experiences and the modern setting is more in your face than GWE. I hope for Rivet that it does catch on a bit and in future sales it may be a stocking filler for me but the differences from the IoW route and the 1972 stock experience aren’t combining in my mind to give more of what either already bring. The sight of all the trains lined up in the depot was awesome but that’s not enough I’m afraid.

• Like Like x 1
  41. locobilly

locobilly Well-Known Member

Yes pity they can't wind back the time on the London Underground to fit the old tube stock into, that would be awesome, but hardly worth the effort and cost for one train. Makes you wonder whether it was all really necessary when other projects could have been worked on instead.
    The age of the line pro rata with the age of the rolling stock is always going to be a problem for DTG. Personally I'd like to see trains and lines kept together in time for proper immersion. Do it properly or not at all.

• Like Like x 3
  42. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I like it. I do think Rivet can model trains quite well. I just didn’t think I‘d play it enough.

Given that I‘ve lost trust in Rivet at the moment after Arosa. I’m giving this a few weeks to see what others think and then it’ll probably be a sale purchase.

I don’t think last nights stream helped much. Sam did. his best to get answers from Rivet Matt, but he just didn’t seem to know the product. I assume Jasper will be on a stream next week either on DTG or Rivet‘s channel, he normally does pretty good preparation, so hopefully there will be a few more answers.

• Like Like x 2
  43. DeJaPa

DeJaPa Member

I agree, but don't forget the scenario's which will feature the 1938 stock driving around as a special service with 1972 stock traffic. To be honest quite excited for those scenario's.

• Like Like x 1
  44. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

very easy no buy

45. johnmcglade30

johnmcglade30 Active Member

I just cannot wait for the 1938 stock tube train

46. Lunar_Twisted

I noticed that too throughout the stream. Near the end of the stream at 1:21:37 mark, Sam asked Rivet Matt about why there was no guards bar and the awkward silence from him lasted for 31 seconds. Event DTG Matt jumped in to ask about the guards bar.

• Like Like x 6
  47. mancunian#7861

mancunian#7861 Active Member

Thanks salty. You live and learn. First time I've heard mention of it. :)

48. Coastway trainspotter

Glad I could help :)

• Like Like x 1
  49. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

For me the 1938 stock was a must have untill I saw the stream. To me Matt from Rivet either seemed not interested or didn't have a clue, sounds ETC. and having the train in Modern settings isn't a deal breaker I suppose but it isn't a pull either. This train is crying out for mods, I hope it is possible.

I was on the verge of deciding to get it untill I heard the sounds (or lack of them). I was firmly against the Diesels legend pack before I saw the mods then got it because of them, it will be the same for this too.

Also for me this seemed a fast cut and paste for Rivet. They could of done a new line, like the Central line and I bet there would be far more excitement for that.

• Like Like x 4
  50. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Thank God I wasn’t the only one that noticed he wasn’t enjoying being there and wasn’t sure if the 38 stock has this or that I mean that’s not very professional if you’re not really aware of the product you’re offering let’s hope it won’t be filled with bugs that took weeks from RG to fix ( I’m talking about the 483 )

• Like Like x 3