Playstation Trophies A Poll On Feeling About Them

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Skyz2020, Oct 13, 2021.

?
  1. 0% - 10%

25.5%
  2. 10 - 30%

12.4%
  3. 30 - 60%

19.7%
  4. 60 - 90%

12.4%
  5. 90 - 100%

29.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Hello All,

Given the recent playstation trophy announcement I have created a poll on how people feel about them.

There are 5 options on what percentage of enjoyment they add to the game for you, the percentages are as follows;

0 - 10%
    10 - 30%
    30 - 60%
    60 - 90%
    90 - 100%

DTG JD you might want to keep an eye on this from a strength of feeling point of view.

Personally I am in the 10% ish camp but fully understand the people who use them as a marker for game completion. Most of mine are bronze or silver, I don't chase down golds and plat.

Happy voting and all comments welcome.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Skyz2020

DTG JD voted in the poll :D cheers JD, surprised and very much appreciated.

(Didn't realise DTG staff members could or indeed would)

30 - 60% aswell JD, seems we have a trophy hunter as a community manager, bravo, I approve

• Like Like x 2
  3. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Should it be how much importance are trophies to you rather than enjoyment? Not sure, anyway as mentioned in the main thread on this as they act as my task list for TSW2 I voted 100%

• Like Like x 3
  4. Skyz2020

Cheers for comments tin tin, I did wrestle with the wording, thank you for the vote and keep up the good work on the YouTube channel

• Like Like x 1
  5. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Absolutely this. There are a lot of games vying for attention (I'm currently playing Wreckfest, Dirt5, Planet Coaster, Hitman 3, plus whatever PS Plus throws in to the mix each month) so having a little voice saying "Nearly at 100 services..." is definitely important to keeping me coming back for more and giving me some direction about what to do next with the game.

Far from removing trophies from PS5, they should be actively pushing them and taking advantage of the trophy tracking options that "proper" PS5 games use - telling me on the home screen that I'm really close to getting one, rather than just listing a load of random trophies, some of which I don't even own the DLC for.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Not really bothered. It’s nice when they pop up, but I’m there for the trains, not the trophies.

Being a collector of things outside of the game though, I can appreciate why people want them.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Ha sorry I went neutral as I wanted to see how the voting was going. Please ignore my vote!

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I’m 50 - 50 when it comes to trophies.

I’d rather them be there than not there but I don’t always go out of my way to get them. TSW has a great list as you unlock them naturally if you go for 100% completion, they’re like progess milestones.

The trophies I tend to ignore are ones where you have to do silly strings of tasks that have nothing to do with the game’s progression % or online only trophies…. They’re the worst and shouldn’t count towards platinums!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

100% for me. I use trophies as a guide on what to play and I just like collecting them. I don’t expect to get every single one, but the ones I’ve earned I want to get. For me, it is very important that future TSW 2 content has trophies.

• Like Like x 4
  10. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

0-10% I'm not bothered in the slightest.
    I play this game to drive trains, not to collect something useless

• Like Like x 4
  11. Skyz2020

Thanks for the comment 1909, good to have balance in these threads :)

12. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

Xbox has achievements, so does steam. It adds another part to the game for people, like me, who enjoy collecting them. The same as people enjoy trainspotting at stations.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ukpetey

ukpetey Well-Known Member

I’m not sure it’s appropriate to make public anyones vote or the fact that they have

• Like Like x 2
  14. ukpetey

ukpetey Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but at the end of the day it’s a train driving game, not an achievements collecting game. I for one won’t miss them in the slightest

• Like Like x 2
  15. Skyz2020

You are right in retrospect ukpete, however with that being the cumminty manager I think he took it in the right spirit :)

However hence forth, no more outings in public

• Like Like x 1
  16. Willowrpe

Willowrpe Well-Known Member

For me if new content has no trophies I will have to buy the other versions, and will just finish off what I need to do on the PS5 set.

If I heard Matt right last night he said PS5 supports up to 50 dlc's as you know they seperate each one individually on PS systems here is a possible solution may be too late now but instead of having a route and locos separate how about combing them, so for example a class 31 and TVL in one which would then be classed as one dlc instead of 2 ?

Not sure if it can be edited after released but this would release at least 50 % more capacity at a stroke!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Skyz2020

Interesting idea on the loco combo, let's see what happens

18. Willowrpe

you wont loose trophys you would just put loco trophys in a route trophy list

19. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I think many are here for the trains, that’s fine, in my case I’m here as a long time PlayStation player that happened to discover trains. We are not all trainspotters, trophies are as equally important as driving. Both make up the whole rounded TSW experience

• Like Like x 4
  20. Willowrpe

the 313 for example trophies could be added to the East Coastway route or even 2 locos into one trophy list either way IF the issue is with the number of separate dlc's is the issue this is a possible solution if Sony allow it. Having a new section for just 5 trophy's seems over kill this is a more efficient way of dealing with the limited amount of slots you have available

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m nowhere near 50 DLC’s and having problems.

22. Factor41

Indeed, there are many people who see trains purely as a way to get from one place to another. Much as I'd never stand on a platform purely to collect the numbers of trains that pass though, I wouldn't stop anyone else from doing that. Here's DTG telling them that they've already collected enough numbers, move along now...

• Like Like x 1
  23. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

My view on the trophies and Train Sim World 2 (this my opinion I do respect other opinions). I'm glad there is a limit. It's a stupid fault of Sony but I think it's ironic. No dig at DTG because almost all the developers do it but adding trophies for DLC makes trophy hunters buy the content. How bad the content is doesn't matter because they need to have those trophies. Never liked it when trophies have sets of trophies for multiple DLC you don't even own. Only if I download the DLC the trophies should be added.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Factor41

If anything, that should be a key reason for DTG to keep them in. I often find myself browsing trophies to see what's there. If something looks interesting, I'll take a look at the DLC. Potentially, no trophies means no intrigue and no sale.

• Like Like x 1
  25. antwerpcentral

Ok I understand that. I was never so bored I had to go look for new DLC in the trophies. If the news about the DLC didn't reach me it probably won't be worth wasting my time over. :D

• Like Like x 1
  26. Skyz2020

I
    Agree with sales could take hit as the hunters lose interest

27. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I genuinely actually hate this.

With regards to the topic though, I only really aim for trophies if I really enjoy the game and want to 100% it, but even then I don’t always do that, especially in the case of TSW, I’m not about to go hunting down what is a current total of 353 trophies.

Trophies have zero bearing on my purchase decision, and honestly I wouldn’t be able to tell if they were there or not.

• Like Like x 1
  28. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Don't care for trophies, points or awards so voted 0. AM I a trainspotter? Only in that I like seeing big machines going really quickly, preferably with a draft effect as they whizz past
    Shame I live in an area of the UK with only 4 types of trains, all limited to 90... Occasionally I "get out"

29. Skyz2020

South West ruscoe?

30. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Gillingham Kent
    Only things we get are 46x, 700s, 375s and 395s with very very occasional railtours. No freight at all

• Like Like x 3
  31. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

The problem is, what TSW2 has shown with its many DLCs is that its far better to release a TSW3 as a new stand alone game than it is to keep adding DLC to old ones and allowing you to transport it across.

If keeping my game and its content up to date means no trophies, thats fine by me!

I like earning trophies and it does help direct me to a particular goal when I'm not sure what to do, but I'm really not bothered by trying to earn them.
    I enjoy the game, and that is key for me.
    If we can't have trophies, the mastery challenges will replace my "what to do when undecided" goals.

32. antwerpcentral

The problem with TSW3 is that the user base on PS4 is still large due to the PS5 shortages

• Like Like x 1
  33. underwaterdick

Wow, do people really just buy and play games for the trophies?
    I genuinely didn't know that was a thing.

I know that people who enjoy a certain game want to get all of its trophies, but surely these people will still buy and play the game without?

• Like Like x 2
  34. underwaterdick

It's not just that, DTG are are passionate about their game and want us to keep enjoying it.
    Most firms will just release a new game and not care that many people won't buy it.
    DTG want to respect their community by doing updated versions that require no purchase for those with older ones.

Even if the ps5 was plentiful in its availability (and I don't believe it is as hard to get as many make out, because lots of my friends are getting them, you just have to persist in contacting suppliers regularly) DTG still wouldn't want to make a brand new game IMO.

They seem to make these games with passion and want us all to be able to play them even without additional purchases.
    Although, with the excellent range of DLCs, many of us keep buying!

35. Factor41

I wouldn't buy a game just because it had trophies, but it's an integral part of console gaming and has been for the last three generations.

There are still quite a lot of things about the way things naturally work on consoles that DTG hasn't quite got right - the UX and control systems are a case in point; the lack of gamepad-specific feedback mechanisms (the DualSense controller pretty much DEFINES the PS5, but it's used here for "Look up", "Look down"...); the new, entirely unused trophy and activity tracking features. It's very clearly a company that's come from PC gaming with TS and I don't think many of its developers have immersed themselves in console gaming, on Playstation in particular, enough to know there's a difference. As a result, they don't always 'get it' the way that companies like Codemasters or EA might; even though TSW has always been a cross-platform game, it 'feels' like a ported PC title.

• Like Like x 5
  36. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

I went with the first option, 0-10%.

I play the game for the experience, doing something I am never going to, in places I have never been. And I don't need trophies to guide me through the game, if I feel in the mood to play a particular route, I will play it. I don't own every route, but I have enough of a small selection to give me some choice.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Skyz2020

Agree with alot of this

• Like Like x 1
  38. morph147

morph147 Active Member

For me the issue with no more trophies is a well designed trophy set is a great way for a developer to say hey if you have done all of these you have done everything the game has to offer. Its a great way to hint at hey go check out this cool idea in the game or hey go check out this weapon. For me in TWS its a great way beyond journey mode to say hey you have done everything that this route has to offer so if you maybe its time to check out this new route. For games that I truly enjoy, I do go after the trophies for this reason because I want to get the most out of the game.

My hope is in a month or two they figure out a route they can go with sony on this and find a way to get it back into the game. They need to push sony to make its system better. Hopefully trophies can be added retroactively to fix this.

• Like Like x 2
  39. Skyz2020

Yes the poll has an interesting split in it at present.

Previously I asked DTG Protagonist about polls and the reaction was "we look at them but don't take stock of them internally with a view to making a change" (this was my free dlc due to core update error poll).

I wonder with this poll having 5 options and being about a item being removed, possible/maybe forever will have more weight internally.

Would be interesting to see if Sam thinks this particular poll garners more interest as the devs will have to make a decision if the effort of reinstating is worth it based on community reaction to it being pulled.

If we take Factor41 for example if he "walks" and never plays and pays for dlc again off the back of a decision for example to say "no more trophies, we can't force sonys hand without significant upfront dev time / cash" how much money does that lose DTG over the longer term?....

How many players are like Factor41 and if the base is high enough how much lost revenue must be considered for DTG to think ... "actually... here is the cash... here is x2 devs as long as it takes as we don't fancy losing 20% of our player and dlc base revenue"

(Currently poll has 38% of players in 60 - 100% range, I don't think DTG should ignore this data and that's speaking as someone like myself only having a 10% interest interest in trophies)

• Like Like x 1
  40. antwerpcentral

Totally agree. That's what made DTG so interesting to me. Something about this game is so PC and you can find everywhere, the fast delivery of patches, the continuous updates on new stuff but it also comes with the "oops sorry we uploaded the wrong build, please excuse us blame someone from the team hashtag team member". It's a DTG build so you all fail as a team at that moment not just some team member. :D

I really hope DTG can blend their PC mentality with the Playstation platform. It's intriguing but also can be annoying.

41. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

If it isn't DTG's normal policy, then I doubt it will make any difference. On saying that, it has been known for developers to alter a game in some way, following fan/player feedback. So we see where this goes.

I'm only speaking for myself, but I will still enjoy TSW going forward, without trophies.

42. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

A poll is interesting and it helps us gather a sense of where the community sit on a topic. However without context it's impossible for us to determine a crystal clear understanding of why the community feel the way you do, and often people will see a poll and vote on it without much interest.

It is much easier for us to fight your fight when we are given detailed feedback, over a poll.

• Like Like x 2
  43. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i dont care about trophies or points or that redline thing to see how well i drove. im not interested as when i drove proper trains i never got trophies or a red line thing to tell me how bad i drove lol or even awarded points, i got paid money lol.
    im not even interested if i got the route to level whatever or even loco to level whatever it doesnt do anything in the game oh sometimes it awards you points big deal as you cant use points for anything.
    just my thought but i do enjoy the game and when trophies drop its probably a nice thing but i dont go hunting them

• Like Like x 1
  44. Skyz2020

Thank you Nat,

I take it for you then the comments section here has made a impact far and above the end result of the attached poll? Based on what you described above.

• Like Like x 1
  45. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Absolutely right.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Skyz2020

Cheers Dave, an actual train driver on the poll/comments section, bravo and what a wonderful career to have (I assume?)

• Like Like x 1
  47. Skyz2020

Cheers Nat, I shall let you read on, as you can see the community end that want this reinstated is very passionate, I would say if you get this wrong you are about to lose £1000s in missed dlc sales based on the early data here. However back to letting the others talk, I merely posed the question, let's see what the remaining comments/votes bring

• Like Like x 1
  48. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Not a lot can be done if its a Sony issue. Personally I'm not fussed, I get that some players are but they aren't a game breaker for me.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Factor41

I'd consider swapping the trophies for actual cash, if that's what you're suggesting? :D

• Like Like x 1
  50. Skyz2020

Back in the day platinum trophy pops used to unlock things on certain games or am I miss remembering factor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.