Br187=sounds Of 185

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by KoeleKoen, Oct 13, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Ben132465798

Ben132465798 Well-Known Member

They should hire him instead. Having done in a few hours what skyhood didn't manage to get in like what...

• Like Like x 2
  2. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Almost feels as if Skyhook threw DTG under the bus by not even bothering to show up for the stream and on top of that providing them with incorrect information such as which routes the 187 would substitute onto (Although we already knew via Matt's forum post the 187 would work on BRD but Skyhook for some reason didnt convey that to Sam before the stream....it all just came across as very amateurish)

I hope one day they patch the sound for everyone but it looks like the PC userbase will have fixes sooner via mod/s

• Like Like x 5
  3. victor.malhard

victor.malhard New Member

4. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

I find it odd that a 3rd party developer is commenting on another 3rd party developers work and what they could or couldn’t do. I find it great that you could have got the right sounds one way or another . Could you explain why you would be capable of doing the 187 sounds but other 3rd party developers that created the dlc failed to do so? If what they said about the pandemic isn’t true, in your words “that’s really not an excuse.” a fellow 3rd party developer saying this contradicts what they have said about their own dlc.
    “But I would have been able to deliver 187 sound in any sort while the pandemic. That’s really not an excuse (we all know the pandemic is an excuse for so much right now).”

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Marklin has access to that sound because they're located on the Stuttgart Augsburg railway. Including a DB BW depot in Sttutgart

6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Even Sifa PZB LZB Voice prompts are wrong since it's a female voice different from BR182 Chris Lohner not Male voice 146.2 185.2 RRO Riesa Dresden DDR 185.5. For Skyhook Games if the pandemic is over get permission from Deutsche Bahn for sound recording at Bw Hagen Vorhalle RRO RSN SKA Koln Kalk and Gremberg & TS22 Mannheim Rbf .

7. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

Actually they all throw each other under the bus, to be honest at this point DTG would be better off not having 3rd parties create content for TSW2 even though that’s a lot less variety and content for us, with how I’ve seen some of this community treat these developers, and how it’s always the other ones fault. I think they should honestly just think about stopping it all after the already planned content releases which is sad but how DTG + developers don’t appear to communicate with each other this is going to constantly happen.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

all skyhook had to do was reach out...that's it,that mod in development on rail-sim.de proves that.. Will it be perfect? probably not but it will be 100x better than what they've done now without a doubt. "yes but permission.." To be honest I don't know if DB or Bombardier gave permission to misrepresent their stock.

• Like Like x 5
  9. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

It's honestly comical how Skyhook operates things. I'm convinced they are trolling not only us, but Dovetail as well, to see how many negatively reviewed DLCs they can pump out before Dovetail does something. At the time of this post, the 187 has a 17% positive rating, and their previous DLC, Cane Creek with a 39% positive rating on Steam. If this trend continues, their next DLC might hit single digits which would be quite the feat. Bravo Skyhook Games, I applaud you for this experiment you are partaking in.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

This all shows it is not really easy to develop content for TSW2. You need a lot of skills and you also need to feel quite well what customers demand. And all this for a Euro 14 retail price in a fairly niche market. I still can hear people complaining about not getting an editor, but to be honest, I think it is very hard to develop anything without professional support. Regarding that, we may need to support third party developers instead of throwing them under the bus for any stupid thing they do. If you don't like a product, tell it once and don't buy it, but try to be kind to the developers. They are not lazy, they have a passion and do what they can. It may not be enough into our opinion, but remember they are somehow squeezed between what we are willing to pay and having a decent living. I do not know much about the business case but:
    Tax Offices take round 20% VAT
    Steam takes about 30%
    DTG definitely will take some money, no idea how much but I would guess it is somewhere between 10 and 30%
    So you have Euro 2-3 to pay all expenses. A good developer will cost somewhere between Euro 500 and 1000 for a day work.

This makes margins tight and you probably cannot afford to throw a developed DLC in the bin.

Again, we may not like this loco and we may not like third party developers that jumped into TSW2, but for more variety we need them badly and let's not forget that.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

LOL at the secret [well-known 3rd party] person hiding in plain sight on this thread :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Yeah but since this is the "PC Discussion" area, i think it is indeed very beneficial to most of this people in this thread.

13. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

This!!

• Like Like x 3
  14. facundo.dim

facundo.dim Active Member

Come on Skyhook! buy the sounds from the dude that's creating the mod and include those sounds in the game, you will get your money back in sales. There are a lot of people wanting to buy the BR 187, but won't happen until it's fixed.

DTG gave the example using Armstrong Powerhouse sounds in their last DLC, I doubt it was free, those trains sounds are amazing and probably the best in the game.

Armstrong Powerhouse got a lot of respect from the TS community, mostly because of the sounds.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

They probably can’t. It’s been said on streams before that they have to own the copyright for the recordings.

It’s fine making an unofficial mod, but putting them into a paid for product might not be possible.

No idea how it all works. Just hope an improvement comes soon. If they do own the copyright, then yes, do it!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

They should approach RSSLO to buy or license their original recordings, since they are pretty high quality. Or, just another thought, would it really be so difficult to synthesize the sounds?

17. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

I really don't want to accuse anyone of laziness here, but have you ever looked at the options of the 187 in the scenario planner?

Two, The Locomotive and a approximately 320 meter long mixed freight.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

In terms of the 187 i'm a customer as like all others here. I can have complaints too if i want. They can easily complain about my products too if they want. I would have no problem with that. I learned that criticism, no matter from what side, helps getting things better, often. I never understood why a developer can't have complaints against other developers. If something not good, we should say it. And i would not lying when i mention there is a lot of saying at the moment :) There must be a reason somewhere. If you have a problem with me complaining other developers, ok, sorry, i will try my best to not do it again. I don't need to do it at at least, just want to help, in my special way :)

• Like Like x 31
  19. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Sounds are one of the veryh few things we "armchair train drivers" can count on for immersion. Using the wrong sounds is really something I cannot understand. Who decided it was a good idea? I certaily will NOT buy this DLC despite being interested in the 187, and I'll likely won't buy anything made by them in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  20. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

And yet you don't find odd that a 3d party developer can release such a broken mess and insult the intelligence of the community with its excuses.
    Also you don't find it odd to make this comment about one of the most beloved and successful 3d party developer that spend hours over time to ensure his dlc's are top notch and managed to create in 2 days one fantastic sound revamp for the 145/185.
    Since many other add-ons where release and a ton of sound mods during this "pandemic" i would say that people that still manage to ride a train or create sounds on way or another are actually from another planet since this feat is "impossible"

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  21. facundo.dim

A copyright for a noise? Never heard of this, I will make some research. Besides, in theory, if someone did it before you can't copyright the same stuff again. I know RSSLO did a BR 187 before with real sounds for TS, but who knows if they own the copyright. :|

22. Maik Goltz

The (c) is for the the recording work itself, not the noises that the loco makes. A audio recording is handled like making music or doing video work or create a painting or whatever artistic stuff you get in mind.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  23. facundo.dim

In that case you could never claim a similar sound is your property. Then, they could buy the copyright of the sound already recorded, or in hypothetical case of Skyhook buying a modder's sounds that hasn't been registered yet they could register as theirs or give credit to the modder.
    I don't know how DTG made the deal with AP, assuming the AP sounds were copyrighted. Legal stuff is a pain.

24. Maik Goltz

A (c) can't normally be sold at all. So what gets sold is a usage licence. AP grants DTG the usage via a licence paper and a payment for that manner. Nothing else. The recording and sounds are already APs copyrighted material. That is how it usually works. There are other ways for sure. You can go and record it yourself where you are (a station, besides the tracks, in a train ... or wherever) and it is basically yours in terms of copyright (you have recorded it). You need to take in account that there might be the possibility that you record already copyrighted material. That happes when you record station announcements in a train. Then you need a seperate permission to use them from their copyright holders. And so on. Complicated stuff tbh.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Copyright (at least in the UK) is automatic - you don't need to register anything

They probably asked AP if they could license AP's recordings, and then threw money at them.

This, it appears, is one of the barriers to station announcements, because they need a license from the train company to use the announcements and maybe the style of the announcements (like how they're worded) in some cases, and a separate license from whoever voiced them and maybe even a license from whoever recorded them. Hence why they've said they're more likely to do custom recorded ones.

• Like Like x 3
  26. facundo.dim

Thanks for the clarification. Now I know something new. :D

27. DeJaPa

DeJaPa Member

To be honest, I don’t get why we have to pay full price when it’s clearly not up to Skyhook’s and DTG’s standards. At least, given the bugs and missing sounds, decrease the DLC price. I think that would be fair in such a case.

Meaning, if Skyhook or DTG would’ve come upfront about what we could’ve expected, and don’t tell me they wouldn’t have seen this coming, people wouldn’t have been as outraged as they were now. I think it’s important to be as upfront as possible to manage expectations at least a little.

By no means do I have experience in being a community manager or a spokesperson for that matter. But I do know, that I appreciate honesty as a customer. And that’s where Skyhook IMO really failed. They could’ve stepped into the spotlight and said something yet they have deliberately chosen to remain silent. That inspires no confidence to us as customers at all.

Also, unfortunately, I’m unsatisfied with DTG’s response as well. I mean, taking the time to respond saying ‘we do hear your concerns and we will pass them through’ while also knowing in what state the loco was in. Seems a bit like hiding from the truth. Granted it’s Skyhooks problem, but they’ve clearly made it DTG’s and I surely wouldn’t have taken a bullet for them, seeing their strategy.

I am a disappointed customer, I can understand a lot and let a lot slide, but all I ask in return is honesty towards me as a customer. I don’t like it to be taken for a fool, and I don’t take that lightly as well. Unfortunately in this case I do feel like I was taken for a fool, due to the way things are handled. Which wasn’t necessary and could’ve been prevented.

That all being said, I do wish people would be less toxic. That simply doesn’t help anyone. Try to be constructive at least, or just take a step back and once calmed down explain the reason why you are so upset. I’m sure that would make these forums a much nicer place.

• Like Like x 4
  28. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

You're talking about some rather different things in one sentence. Simply being able to "ride a train" will not produce usable sound files. Sound surveys take a lot more work and time than that, and, most importantly, require the cooperation of the TOC- which in the case of Deutsche Bahn has been out of the question for the past year and a half.

Creating sounds is a different kettle of fish. Yes, a clever bloke can synthesize nearly anything digitally. But it still isn't "real." For all the praise being heaped on the modder who has come up with alt sound files- do we really have any idea if these new sounds actually resemble a real 187? Or are they being praised simply because they're different from the old ones?

29. solicitr

That's universal throughout the Berne Convention countries (i.e. all of them, except Russia and China)

• Like Like x 1
  30. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Cathcart still has bugs such as bogus red lights coming out of Glasgow central and the nighttime lighting is not a universal TSW issue. It's particularly bad on Cathcart and way worse than other UK routes like SEHS and London-Brighton. The stations are literally in complete darkness.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I find it quite annoying that the best DLC for TSW2 is made by DTG. In TS they made the worst DLC, but now it's the other way around. Either DTG have got their act together or something very wrong is going on with the developers. It's probably about time AP made something for TSW themselves. They can make utter crap, like the 455, Electrostar and Networker Enhancement Packs, but they can also make some absolutely beautiful DLC, like the 411, 205 and 37.
    I agree, which is why I said 'pretty much every DLC'. The ones you name are generally very good, but unfortunately for every good or great DLC there is also a dud. SEHS which you mentioned is one of the biggest disappointments for me, and is one of the few TSW DLCs that are genuinely worse than their Train Simulator counterparts. That said, pretty much every DLC for TSW since CSX Heavy Haul has been a downgrade, since it set a standard for scenery that very few routes have come to and none have beat. GWE is probably near it and the Meißen is also up there.

• Like Like x 1
  32. solicitr

AP is making far too much money on TS1 content to bother with the much, much more labor intensive and profit-margin-reducing business of developing in Unreal. Especially since the TSW2 business model requires 3rd party developers to sell at DTG's set price, not the astounding markup AP charges for its TS1 stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Sadly you're probably right. Unfortunately the cost and difficulty for development is too high for many talented developers. AP and countless others will probably never release for TSW which is quite sad. Many of them could fill in the gaps TSW has, but never will. SimExpress could make French stuff; JustTrains could make large networks or metro routes; ChrisTrains could help with the Dutch stuff...

• Like Like x 1
  34. solicitr

The only thing which might tempt them in would be the equivalent of TS1 Pro: a higher priced DLC series open to the likes of AP- but which would be carefully vetted for higher quality to justify the higher price.

• Like Like x 1
  35. dbrunner#4864

So let's say if you get a HQ video from the cab of that locomotive you cannot isolate some sounds to make proper loops for at least some sounds ? Auxiliary when idle, traction converters maybe some roll sounds. I know people that did this for TS with excellent results. Even if it's not perfect at least it's something than just throwing some horrible random sounds. You personally might not use sound mods but what people have achieved for TSW 2 is superior to stock sounds and it's also free.
    Regarding the BR 187 sound mod that is in the makin the traction converters and run sounds are pretty close to real recording at least from the exterior. You can see the video from the creators post and make your own opinion.

Mod

Real life

• Like Like x 2
  36. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

Can the misrepresentation of a locomotive actually cause any after-effects from the license company, in this case DB? I mean license revocation or something like this.

37. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

The locomotive was previously manufactured for TS. The sound from this locomotive cannot be used due to the coding. And aren't the original audio recordings archived?

38. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I honestly doubt they care that much. It’s one train out of many. TSW2 generally presents DB quite well.

Add to that that a lot of players just don’t play with safety systems switched on or have any knowledge of the real train. Even some quite popular YouTubers. They are never going to know it’s wrong.

Remember that the people here often know a lot and are rightly complaining but they are likely in the minority.

I’m in the middle I didn’t spot a lot that was wrong at first but once I found out, I couldn’t Unsee it.

39. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

For me the only thing that I find wrong with the sound, is the level should be tone down by at 80%, to be about the sam playable elvel as all the other train in all the trainset we have in TWS2

Whether it is a German 101, 146, 185, 187, they are all exactly the same train, except for the number painted at the front
    Same for the 112, 143, 155 , the only one that is a little different is the 155 which has a steering wheel (why a steering wheel on a train ?????)

40. irFlouz

irFlouz Active Member

Hi, the creator of the mod here.
    I haven't actually modded the running sounds yet, the ones you can hear in the video are actually the vanilla running sounds. :P
    I might as well, once again, add that the 187 sounds differ between operators, the DB ones have a different sound than other operators, it more sounds like a 147. Here's a video to demonstrate:
    I didn't show the higher speeds yet because, well, they haven't been made yet. I am, just as Skyhook, missing certain recordings, but I will go out tomorrow and record them myself. Hope that it'll go well so I can finish the sound mod asap.
    Oh and also; I appreciate all your feedback, I will keep you updated here or over at rail-sim.de. :)

• Like Like x 17
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

This ‘opinion’ is just objectively wrong. Good for you if it allows you to enjoy the BR187, but anyone with clear eyesight and clear hearing will argue that those trains are not similar at all.

• Like Like x 9
  42. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

Thank you for calling me blind and deaf, I was just needing such confirmation in my life lately :)

43. facundo.dim

I really apreciate the effort and the work you are doing, I hope it will be ready soon.

• Like Like x 1
  44. JBViper

JBViper Well-Known Member

Thanks irFlouz for your great job.

• Like Like x 1
  45. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

Since I do not own and probably will not own the 187 for a while, I am not going to comment on the sounds. What is getting me crazy is the constant whining about pricing (at full price etc etc). This DLC is around 14euros - let's get a grip guys - you pay that for a burger and fries (maybe more if in a large city in Western Europe). The straight economic reality, which most developers and DTG evade, is that, if you want dramatically more effort put into development, then pay more (probably much more). It is not an easy problem, because, unlike myself, most gamers have multiple demands on their money - me, just trains and planes. I personally already lack the time to drive all the trains I have and should do as I do on flight simulators - fly the most realistic, immersive model, learn the routes as a driver would in real life and skip the rest. But that is most definitely not what DTG wants - they want you all panting for the latest DLC and some of you have an almost complete collection - what are you, drivers or collectors? Sorry if I appear impolite, but my preference would be for a far more complete model (albeit at a much higher price), but it would have to be as complete as possible, i.e. for German trains a fully modeled engine/equipment compartment, working Ebula etc etc. Unlike some, I could care less about gmrs radios, other than turn them on - who to talk to? Obviously, I am not holding my breath for this to happen.

• Like Like x 4
  46. dbrunner#4864

Hello there, thanks for making time to post here. Your work its fantastic and already sounds really close to the real life 187, especially on the traction electronics sounds. I hope you will be able to make other videos showcasing your work as it reaches new milestones. I am curios how will you handle the sounds from the cab, are you able to also get recordings from inside ? Either way i am pretty sure you will do some fantastic work, probably the only reason that might convince people to buy this messy DLC.
    Regarding the difference in sounds between same loco but other operators i wonder why is that, since its modular could it have other electronics inside?
    Good luck with the projects and congrats for taking the task of bringing some justice to the BR187

47. irFlouz

irFlouz Active Member

Unfortunately, the 187 doesn't sperate cab sounds from exterior sounds. I will get some interior sounds from someone who works with 147s, however I probably won't be able to use them due to that.

• Like Like x 1
  48. dbrunner#4864

No problem. Could you make the exterior sounds slightly muffled and lower in volume to mimic the way you would hear them inside the cab and use this if no other alternative?

49. mattfr

mattfr New Member

This thread makes me want to take a shot at replacing the stock sounds of the 187 by those from Zusi. Is there a good guide out there to replace audio data of tsw? I did manage to unpack the files, but getting to open the actual files is proving trickier

50. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

I can live when someone can record the 147 sounds because it’s the Sister Modell for Passenger Services from the 187.
    It has also the famous sounds.
    A recorded 147 want better as nothing

• Like Like x 1