Train Sim World 2 - Calling At Cornwall

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I’m really pleasantly surprised. Credit to Rivet , this is a huge step forward from Arosa.

With the other good news that there is finally a timetable coming for Arosa, I’ll consider getting this. Not sure if I’ll get it for PS5 or PC. Will have to wait and see how the Raildriver support is. I’m optimistic it’s included as apparently they added it to their recent Underground DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  2. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Just want to echo previous posts and say this looks a great route after seeing it on the stream, will be looking forward to it. The 150 will be a great addition - especially on livery designer - plus I'm really looking forward to using scenario planner on the route, especially with the 166. :love:

• Like Like x 3
  3. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I want to give credit as well, I was not majorly interested in the route, but from the stream, I absolutely loved the class 150 and the branch line, so I will at least put that addon on my steam wishlist for later. Don't think I will get this on release though, kinda want to see what some reviews here say about it first. Also with rush hour I am still more than "occupied" for the time being.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

When was the timetable for Arosa mentioned must of missed that

5. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

It’s also very nice to be getting a few new freight wagons with this route as well as we haven’t seen any since TVL!

6. Tigert1966

Right at the beginning. Before the start demonstrating the route they talk briefly about Arosa first. No date yet, but they said it was currently in testing.

• Like Like x 2
  7. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

Yes. After the stream I felt positive about honest updates coming soon.
    We shall have to wait and see :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  8. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

It looks like a great improvement over their two previous routes. Though, I’m not buying before it has been properly evaluated by early adopters, and right now I’m most interested in seeing how things pan out for TSW2 in the coming weeks. Currently too unstable for further investment.

• Like Like x 3
  9. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

It’s looking like Rivet’s best yet. My one criticism is that the scenery at St Ives has “improved” a bit too much and, whilst they have removed the ugly buildings, you can’t see the headland. I can live with that though. The actual branch line looks great. It’s a beautiful line which they needed to do justice and I think they’ve pulled it off.

The 150/2 looks good and, though people have commented on the lack of revving when starting, sounds OK. Do we know if there are any walkaround bits such as Rivet put into their previous routes (Ryde Pier, Arosa Lake)? They didn’t mention any in the stream though Jasper did hint at a surprise somewhere along the line.

I noticed the lack of old GWR coaches at Marazion, which I think were still there in the early 90s. Mastery Tier 2 perhaps?

• Like Like x 2
  10. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

Here is my Cornish view on it.

Rivet have been scared to put fields of nothing in shot. Where the line is surrounded either side by rolling country side of fields we have woodland?

Cornwall lacks trees because of the mines and farming- they cut them down.

Apart from that it looks good, and I look forward to buying it!

11. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I must say. I really am very much looking forward to this.
    I think a few sound issues are required to be changed, such as the door sounds, I’m pretty sure the doors closed with the hussler alarms sounding after the doors had closed (this may be realistic, but considering the purpose of the hussler alarms, I doubt it).

The AWS ‘Clear’ ping frustrated me slightly whilst approaching the signals which were at caution/red, but I’m certain they will change this.

The 37 looks and sounds fantastic (but the horn is the same which is slightly a let down hahaha).

But apart from that, I take my hat off to you Rivet, a beautiful route with so much potential. Such a step forward from your previous routes :)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Just watching a bit of the stream and I've got to be honest, I really like the look of this. I'm still going to hold off for reviews and an update on the PS5 trophy issue, but it definitely seems like a step forward on Rivet's part. Seems like they're really taking feedback onboard, so hopefully fixes and good times ahead.

• Like Like x 1
  13. locobilly

locobilly Well-Known Member

Anyone know what the top speed will be on this line?

14. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Pedant hat on: 37699 was in triple grey coal sector livery from 1990. Would have expected to see a Laira machine, some of which may have still had red stripe railfreight but probably in triple grey in the 90s. Route looks good though.

15. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

Mastery Tier 2 is a Kraken, they went live in the game yesterday.

• Like Like x 3
  16. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I've just watched the live stream in full this morning. Absolutely amazing. The sounds of the 150 are so lifelike. I'm seriously considering pulling a sickie from work the day it's released . This is a great throwback to my childhood holidays in Devon and Cornwall in the early 90s.

• Like Like x 3
  17. dave from Cornwall

It will be ~75mph- or at least today that is what the top mainline speed is in Cornwall.

18. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

That's good news

19. Rich_84

Rich_84 Active Member

Not only the correct livery but the engine sound would be wrong for this era, in the 90s they had Valenta engines & not MTU.

20. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

Who do I ask to ensure we get a better class 37 horn? It is so unrealistic and poor quality. I would expect something so small to be rectified and the looping to be fixed...

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I wouldn’t say the 150 sounds were lifelike. They’re missing the real diesel grunt, especially when pulling away from stations. If you compare them to the real thing and the actual AP sounds, they’re quite far from being accurate. It was mentioned on the stream more than once and prompted Matt to try some experimentation to see if he could get it to sound how it’s supposed too.

• Like Like x 4
  22. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I'm going to add my post-stream opinion here;

The sounds on the 150 are decent imo, they could be better but they aren't bad at all.

Overall, the route looks good, and is a good step forward from Arosa. Hats off to rivet.

It's not up to Dresden, Brighton Mainline or Cathcart quality at the moment, however nobody really expected that.

So well done rivet, I look forward to release :)

• Like Like x 3
  23. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Same for me, ill get this route at release. I was happy with what i saw on the stream, and im glad too they choose to create a new 37 livery incl. Different headbox.

For me i think few class 08 shunting layers with a class 47 run (ntp owners) would add a cool variety. Also hst a.i trains would be an option if there is not enough stops in the route for a playertrain. But thats just an idea, im sure there is a talented modder will add this.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Rail Runner

I am questioning the same. The engine sounds are fantastic, but the horn has been reused :(

• Like Like x 1
  25. appledates#4945

If you go back to the Arosa article, you can definitely understand why Rivet games didn’t want their next route to have any empty areas. The community absolutely tore apart Rivet for the scenery on Arosa so we really can’t blame them for not wanting that on any areas that could be said. I’m actually really happy to see they were able to take that feedback and found a way to make the scenery fuller. I hope DTG was able to help solve that as CCR came out right after Arosa and was full of scenery, which made Rivet look even worse, even though it was only their 2nd route add on and they obviously still had some tricks to learn with using the TSW2 engine. I’m glad they were able to knock this one out of the park for us, their company, and 3rd party developers for TSW2 in general.

26. alexjjones6024

The sounds are good, there should be sounds on the class 37 when thrashing away, it's hard to explain but I'm sure you know what I mean. The horn is really bad, almost totally inaccurate and not immersive

27. locobilly

I see, probably on the main Penzance-Truro line not on the branch line.

• Like Like x 1
  28. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I have compared them, The grunt was there as well just not as loud as usual. But the sounds were very accurate.

29. Rail Runner

I know exactly what you mean, in TS, AP have modelled it fantastically, but not quite there in TSW yet.

30. alexjjones6024

Do any of the Devs actually look at this forum?

Class 150 tweaks required:

-Brake rub sounds when slowing
    -Moving off far too quick when departing
    -Sounds are too quiet and do not represent a class 150 correctly.
    -Door beeping sounds occur after doors are shut.
    -no turbo/whining sound when applying throttle or shutting off power (AP sounds depict this on their website)
    -Brake release/application sounds are wrong. (Listen to the class 314 on Cathcart and they represent the sound better.) I can add the sounds to this page of required to explain better..
    -When the loco increases in speed, I can tell you that it is far too quick. I would say on average it takes 7-8 seconds to hit 10 mph.
    - The flange sounds are missing and could represent the motion sounds and again improve immersion and feel of the loco.
    -When sitting or located in the passenger area of the train, there is a different sound depicting the engine from underneath the bodywork (near the chassis). Has this been implemented when moving?
    -AWS ping when approaching a caution is completely inaccurate, seems to have a caution followed by a 'clear'. (This should only sound when a signal is green ahead).

Class 37

- Horn, sounds awful. It doesn't have any sort of echo towards it.
    - When thrashing or applying power in quick succession, it slowly adds further power sounds and could be amended to give that sort of 'grunt'. I can send videos if required?
    - The loco's nose where the 'Domino' is located, needs to be lowered and I can provide pictures so it can be patched.
    -Brake rub sounds, feeling of movement could be used (even generic).

These are crucial immersive and accurate requirements to ensure a sturdy and correct representation of the loco. I am sure within the next 3-4 days these could be looked at and a promise to patch issued/tested.

I send suggestions to DTG/RIVET Games but they seem to get lost in the post or ignored.
    Please can my requests be considered and can a Developer or a representative of DTG/Rivet contact me to help?

Finally, Any other forum poster/s, can you add to this information if you can advise of anything I have missed?

• Like Like x 3
  31. Rail Runner

Also the AWS ping when approaching a caution is completely inaccurate. But this list ^^^ definitely needs looking at in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  32. alexjjones6024

Added to the list mate

• Like Like x 1
  33. Rail Runner

Fantastic. Can’t think of anything else. Cheers for listing it out, as I’m sure having a list might be a bit easier for Devs to view instead of several hundred different messages :)

• Like Like x 1
  34. dave from Cornwall

Put your concerns on the Rivet board?

35. dave from Cornwall

Think the branch tops out at 30?

36. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They do but not everything they read can be implemented. If you think you can help DTG with development you can direct message Matt and offer your services. It all depends on what your level of expertise is of course. I don’t know whether Rivet like such offers though.

• Like Like x 1
  37. locobilly

Sounds about right for a branch line in that neck of the woods. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  38. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I really liked the route and the two included trains from watching the streams. Even with the inaccuracies pointed out the overall quality looks good, and tweaks can be made by Rivet to improve the already excellent looking/sounding 150. There were sections of the route that look like they would be a bit boring to drive but that’s just how it is on the real route and that would only come into play for me making a decision of whether to buy when comparing it to a maybe more thrilling route. Other areas look very nice and the beaches look so much better now. I’d like to hear what people think of the timetable and the variety of services, as there is an elephant shaped space in the room without an old HST there, and because I can’t buy at release (PS5 woes) that would be great info to help decide how soon to get hold of this. It appears to be heading to the top of the wish list though. Good job, Rivet.

• Like Like x 5
  39. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Agree with stujoy, stream was good, for me on ps4, day 1 purchase

• Like Like x 2
  40. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Me too. I’m worried about Tuesdays q&a stream tho and hoping it’s not that both can’t be fixed. If that’s the case then sadly that’s it for me

• Like Like x 2
  41. appledates#4945

I do hope this community realizes that it’s much easier to write down what’s wrong with something then it is to actually implement in the game. For example I am very happy they addressed this in the stream, the PIS system for this route that isn’t possible at the moment due to the game engine. We need to remember little details and minor details that seem to us would be easy, might be a whole other story when putting into the game.

• Like Like x 2
  42. dave from Cornwall

The mainline and the branch should be a good challenge to drive, with lots of bends and no straight track!

It was built extremely cheap and followed every contour going.

D

43. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  44. merseyemu

merseyemu Member

They addressed the door issue and the moving off quickly. Jasper said they had been fixed but they were using a dev build and not the build that will be released

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

As a point of interest and I’ve not seen this mentioned elsewhere in the forum, the St Ives branch was the last line in Britain to be built to Brunel’s broad gauge.

46. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

But that comparison is iffy,because when there are ope nfields in Cornwall it would make sense to have them open in the game. Arosa had empty playdoh hills, where IRL all mountains are vastly covered by trees...

• Like Like x 2
  47. alexjjones6024

Fair enough. My concern is that when the sounds were being shown to us on the stream, these were the final sounds being used as no mention of improvements was stated. Such a shame because the 150 sounds currently don't do the model any justice

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  48. Tigert1966

Matt has posted his email address on the forum before. I can’t remember it, but I recall it was easily guessed. Unless he removed it again, you might be able to find it.

• Like Like x 3
  49. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I see this does the same thing as IoW where you steal all the ice cream rather than restocking it :D

• Like Like x 1
  50. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

The TS sound was Spot on for the 150 and not worse like for TSW

• Like Like x 1