Ts Worst Its Ever Been

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by dangerousdave, Oct 12, 2021.

1. What is going on with train simulator, its currently unplayable! Last night I tried to drive Portsmouth direct from Waterloo and the fps was 10 max! Tried 1080, 1440 and 4k all exactly the same. Video settings set to lowest I managed to get 13fps? Even the smaller lower quality routes are averaging 20-30 fps. Worse is if I use anything from armstrong powerhouse the sim crashes saying out of memory. I have a rtx 3070 with 8gb of memory, 30% vram used, 16gb ddr4 which says 40% used and virtual memory I've manually set to 16gb which isn't hardly being utilised at all. Gpu utilisation never goes above 30% and cpu utilisation never goes above 20% so 1 I can't see where there's ever a possibility of being out of memory and 2 it's like ts ain't even using the cpu or gpu to its full potential, which is strange because it used to! Seeing as I've spent well over a £1000 with dovetail games on ts I think I deserve some answer's and a solution. I'm really hacked off about this.

2. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

It's a very demanding route although with a 3070 I suspect your PC is using the wrong GPU (that in your CPU).
    I have a GTX 970 and running it September, I had 20-50 fps.
    Having AI trains makes it worse.
    Also, in my case the 32 bit version was a lot slower, I didn't touch it since forever, but make sure you run x64 for busy routes.

3. Hi thanks for the input. Thing is I always run 64bit version and my cpu doesn't have a built in gpu. In nvidia control panel it's set to rtx3070 on all cuda cores. I first noticed a year or 2 ago with the woodhead electric blue. It was a constant 60fps but then there was a update to ts and that instantly dropped to 30fps! Which was doable but now its like Portsmouth direct around 10fps. Which is totally unacceptable. These routes shouldn't be sold if you can't play them! I can understand if my pc was 20 years old but it's not. With my cpu and gpu and the fastest ddr4 on the market I expect a lot more form train simulator. When the devs post vids on YouTube they don't have all these problems and I'm not the only one. Do a Google search and there's 100s complaining about poor performance. I email dtg direct but never get a response!

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Peter Hayes might be able to help - he has researched the best graphics settings.
    Have a search on Graphics and you might find one of his posts

5. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

What cpu are you using - it is unusual for any CPU NOT to have an inbuilt GPU.
    So the first thing is to check your BIOS and ensure you are using a PCI-E video card and not the onboard graphics.
    16GB of Page File/Virtual Memory is overkill 4GB min/max and cleared on PC shutdown should be sufficient.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/282049/ho...utdown: Clear virtual,each time you shut down.
    Have you run the Windows diagnostics?
    Sfc /scannow, DISM, DXDiag (what does the txt report say)? (Google)
    Where is TS installed?
    What UAC setting do you have?
    How much free space on your TS20XX drive?
    Any changes in Internet/Network and AV/Anti-Malware settings?
    My two guides are here on UKTS: File id 39460 and 38190 no guarantees.
    These are just suggestions for you to try if you feel that they may help!
    pH

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Thanks for the reply.
    My cpu is a ryzen 7 2700x
    I've checked and pci e is the only video option available.

Yea I tried your settings thanks. I've messed around for hours and realised disabling anti aliasing cuts the frame rate in half? Currently it's set at fxaa + 4x msaa which gives me the best result, 60fps on most routes bit still struggling to break 20fps on the more intense routes.

Ts is installed on main hard drive which is a m.2 ssd, the fastest drive in my system 800gb free space.
    Anti virus anti malware is Windows built in I don't run anything else. And uac is administrator full privileges.
    I will adjust the page file size and see what happens. Thanks.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

But Which Drive?
    Is you game on C: or on a different Drive Letter like D:

8. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

dd
    You are correct that Ryzen does NOT have integrated graphics! :(
    I should add that my guides were for Intel CPU systems.:love:

9. triznya.andras

Well, yes, and Ryzen articles ephasize multi-threading, but it still doesn't explain why he has framerates matching my soon 7 years old setup.
    The SSD doesn't really affect framerates, but stuttering. On some high speed routes it matters (tile loading every 10-15 seconds).
    I don't think it matters but I'm adding three bits of detail:
    • Windows 8.1 (lazy to reinstall and I'm reading many Steam reviews about Win10 problems)
    • 436.15-desktop-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql, downloaded 2019-09-01 (my GPU is old, don't break what works)
    • 16 GB RAM, automatic (very small) pagefile(s), totaling to 18.3 GB memory:
      • swapfile.sys, 16 777 216
      • pagefile.sys, 2 550 136 832
      • hiberfil.sys, 13 647 396 864
      • Windows has disk caching services so it helps, playing a busy route can improve 2-3 second stutters a little
    • Game on SSD (1TB), OS on HDD (2TB)
      SSD would be fine, I was a bit concerned about durability, price and I had plans for recording to Youtube

10. It's on c drive

11. I've wiped my pc and reinstalled win 11.
    Ts along with steam is all that's on my pc currently and absolutely no change! My friend tried ts on he's pc which is a i9 extreme with a rtx 3090 and 32gb of memory running very fast and it's still crap. I can't help but wonder when someone like matt posts videos on YouTube where ts loads in seconds and the frame rates are excellent, are they using quantum computers? Or some version of ts that's not available to the public?

• Like Like x 1
  12. dudleybrooke

dudleybrooke Member

I think that DTG streamers have a fresh install with only what they want for that stream, it's the only way.

13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

And there lies a problem.
    You are better having the game on a different drive to the operating system
    Windows UAC control can kick in causing problems.

Just because somebody has a computer with lots of processing power, ram and fantastic graphic card does not mean it will run the game any better than people with a lot less.

14. Before the Windows refresh it was on d: my other ssd. It was no different. From what I know about computers it shouldn't really matter what drive its installed to because the game is loaded to the ram when playing. Once the system starts to get low on free memory it will start to use virtual memory which will slow things down bit as my memory is always more than 60% free when playing ts I don't see how it needs virtual memory.

I have tried running it on my workstation a 10 year old machine with older graphics card and drivers it's exactly the same performance wise. Which is strange because a few years ago ts run perfectly on that system which leads me to belive ts performance is being limited internally! Weather this was an accident introduced by an update or intentionally I intend to find out. I know we have tsw now that runs a hell of a lot better and the graphics are 100 times better but that fact is its crap! All the routes are short the scenery is bare and all looks the same. There's no editor and the scenario designer is not much use either. If it were a game that cost me 60 quid I wouldn't be that bothered but at £1200 to date I expect some sort of response and solution from dtg bit I can't even seem to get a reply from them.

15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Train Simulator 2022 or TSW2?
    In TSW2 the routes are short - I think 50 miles is the longest - the scenery is all the same.

In TS2022 we have routes over 100 miles long
    The Weardale and Teesdale line has over 200 miles of track
    The Hamburg Hannover route has almost 100 miles of track with extensive yards and stations

And there is a Scenario Editor and a route editor
    Screenshot_Munich to Garmisch_47.59231-11.18268_10-47-48.jpg
    Screenshot_Hamburg to Hanover_53.35232-10.21219_12-36-16.jpg

Screenshot_Tauernbahn_V2_46.92866-13.24030_10-46-31.jpg
    Peter

• Like Like x 1
  16. Obviously I ment tsw is crap.

17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

18. triznya.andras

Because he didn't:
    He explained that his new PC might not scale for TS, but he is not interested.