A Very Busy Month… But What’s Next?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Cash, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Cash

Cash Well-Known Member

October has without a doubt been an extreme busy month in terms of DLCs releasing for TSW2. We have gotten/are getting a new DLC every Thursday throughout the whole of October!
    7th October - BML
    14th October - 38’ Stock and DB 187
    21st October - West Cornwall Local
    28th October - Class 313

I mean that’s insane!! Very nice indeed :)

Now the main point of this post, with all of the things we’ve been expecting for a while being rapidly released now, that begs the question… what’s next? We are starting to run out of things in production on the roadmap, with the way it looks right now, the next months will look to be quite quiet - which isn’t a bad thing, I’m not saying that DTG should do quantity over Quality, but surely it isn’t realistic for DTG to not release anything over the next few months.

I think we are definitely going to get new routes and locos soon, I mean we have hardly anything made by DTG on the roadmap right now. This personally makes me very excited for the roadmap tomorrow, I have a feeling we will get some new stuff on there tomorrow!

I wanted to ask you all, what do you think is going to happen? Do you think we will get loads of new stuff appearing on the roadmap tomorrow? I’m certainly interested in what you all think :D

• Like Like x 2
  2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I can only dream... https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/route-durham-coast-line-uk.32045/

Anyway, back to reality :D

Yeah, I think it's just the way things have fallen that there's so much come out at once - we've probably had 2 or 3 months' worth of releases this month (and indeed the 313 is heavily delayed too). Unless they have something relatively quick, like a small loco add-on, or something akin to DLGW, I don't think we'll see much more this year, bar updates.

Does give them breathing space to focus on steam though (if they can ofc).

• Like Like x 5
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

What's next?
    IMHO needs to be a period of reflection and bug/QA fixing both in terms of the core and the various content.

• Like Like x 23
  4. paulossj4

paulossj4 Active Member

They should work on improving the existing routes, solving known problems, as well as implementing new content with DLC, such as Thameslink package for BML, package 387 and new environment for GWML, in short, improve and at the same time implement what exists.

• Like Like x 14
  5. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more, before rushing into the next "Impossilbe Deadline" DTG need to have a period of fixing and sorting some of the existing problems.

• Like Like x 3
  6. cyrill.kroonstuiver

cyrill.kroonstuiver Well-Known Member

I agree that bug fixes and stuff would be nice to have a larger focus for a little while.
    My own hope though would be to finally see a big push from DTG to finally start looking for more foreign routes.

Especially recently there's been conversation about this on the forums, and Matt has of course in multiple streams as well as on the forum explained why this is a difficult thing to do.
    Nonetheless, I'm getting more than a little tired of the standard UK/DE/US releases and not just my own, but a few other countries really deserve some representation as well at this point.
    So I'm hoping that the focus will be on, as I've seen some hopeful signs to this given Matt's activity on this topic last week, that we see a larger outreach by and towards DTG for 2nd and 3rd party content creators so we'll finally see some new countries appear on the roadmap soon :)
    My personal hopes would be the Netherlands and Japan, but there's definitely more countries unexplored that deserve some attention too, though these 2 are also highest on the poll list, so.

7. cyrill.kroonstuiver

Also, I'm hoping for a bigger focus on networked routes :)
    Like my own suggestion in my signature. Those long caterpillar routes and fun and all, but routes that let you choose where to go generally offer more traffic and freedom which is lovely.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I think this was one of the issues with the 1938 stock on the Bakerloo Line and was at least a casual factor why I refunded it. The route is just too linear, once you've been up and down between Harrow and Elephant & Castle a couple of times, you've pretty much done it. With a completely dead WCML next door on the open air section, you can't even get off the train and spend a little while watching the action on the main lines, as there isn't any. If they'd done the Northern Line this would have been far more interesting with the three northern branches and two routes across central London.

• Like Like x 4
  9. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

I think the 313 will be the last of DLC this year. I'm guessing time between now and Christmas will focus on bug fixing. I wouldn't expect to see anything new released till early February. As for the roadmap, who knows. It could become bare until before Christmas where they'll reveal future projects. But those are just my thoughts.

• Like Like x 2
  10. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Beyond the idea of taking a short break to fix the more obvious bugs (and that would be for Matt and the team to decide as we don't really know how much of an impact the release schedule has on bug identification, replication and correction), it could also be the case that as Dovetail hire more engineers and the third party developers continue to gain more experience with the tools, we will naturally see a higher frequency of releases than we are perhaps used to.

11. cyrill.kroonstuiver

Yeah, that's definitely a problem, and it takes you a little bit out of the feeling of what trains represent. Freedom of movement and a network.
    Keeping with my own suggestion as an example, it goes straight from Utrecht to Gouda, but after Gouda it forms a triangle between Gouda - Rotterdam - Den Haag, meaning the 3 major stations on that route all have 2 different major destinations to go to.
    In a caterpillar route, say my suggestion was just "Utrecht - Rotterdam", the train veering off to Den Haag would simply terminate at Gouda and you still only get to see what happens on one end of that switch, and the fact that there's now traffic from all those 3 stations means the route will be truly Rush Hour like busy.
    I remember in HRR, which has at least both the regional line as the S-bahn, it's still kind of annoying to have those services that terminate at Essen, but you don't don't go anywhere else. The lack of options deprives you of feeling like you're in the actual region.
    Of course such routes do compromise a bit too in that there's no 1+ hour service, most services taking between 30 and 45 minutes, but that's a compromise I'm willing to make. Especially because if I want that 1+ hour service, there's plenty of caterpillar routes anyway.

Of course there's this too yes, though this can also be fixed by adding some AI portal-to-portal traffic I feel like.
    Same thing West Somerset's mainline behind Norton Fitzwarren yard or the other stations at St. Pancras where only the Class 395 are atm.

Simply making an effort to join together routes with duplicate stations would help a lot for this too, like Hagen and Brighton.
    Hagen feels so empty on both routes but it doesn't need to be.

12. LodeStar

LodeStar Active Member

I suspect some German trains are left? TSG still has some releases for this year on the planning, I believe?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Cash

Cash Well-Known Member

It would be nice for them to take some time for fix the big Rush Hour bugs. But thinking realistically, they need to make money somehow.. I don’t think they would just stop releasing new DLC, but I guess we’ll see soon!

• Like Like x 1
  14. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Sam or someone did say they would reflect on the roadmap and consider adding stuff later into development in case things change.

So I don't think we'll see much added for now, and anything big in the works won't likely be released until early next year anyway.

Although I remain hopeful and would personally like to see ECML South and some BML EMU DLCs appear.

• Like Like x 1
  15. thundergaming11

I saw on one of the tsw fan website thingys that apparently those are expected for early next year now. I can't remember the website and I won't link it in case I initiate world war 5 on the forums :)

16. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

The Vossloh G6 should be next when DTG finally give TSG the go after misspellings from DTG site how the work is done

17. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Still waiting to see if Clinchfield gets a loco DLC at some point.....

• Like Like x 2
  18. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

More German, British and American routes. :( I don't see this game ever really expanding in diversity.

• Like Like x 3
  19. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yes, but that doesn't really affect what DTG staff are doing.

Sure there will be testing- but I don't expect TSG content will have any bugs......

20. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Don't give up hope yet.
    (I'm still plumping for an Austrian route because it isn't a very big jump from doing German.)

• Like Like x 3
  21. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Let’s see if tomorrow’s roadmap brings anything.

22. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

I would imagine one of the TSG DLCs will release at the end of this year. It is known that a new german route is in planning and will be in the roadmap "Shortly". Theres also steam, but with only 2 articles in the past year, I would imagine steam is going to be 2022 Release if it won't be released before that (which is unlikely). Other than the TSG products, this year will probably fix the problems with RH. Also, we have to remember all the DLC released since Rush Hour, the 38 stock, the 187, and WCL are all developed by outside companies, Rivet Games and Skyhook. Only the 313 is DTG. I think the next release after the 313 is the TSG one

23. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Hoping a Merseyrail announcement will be coming soon. Would also like the 7-Train from NYC Subway. Keeping everything crossed.

• Like Like x 1
  24. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Can someone more in the know than me give an idea of how difficult it would be to develop a Class 455 based on the Class 150 from WCL?

As far as I'm aware they share more or less the same bodyshell, but the power source and physics will obviously be substantially different. Is this the equivalent of going from the 314 to the 313 or more work?

I could be wrong about any or all of the above, mind.

• Like Like x 2
  25. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Hate to bubble burst

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/state-of-the-game-stream-fao-sam.47170/

upload_2021-10-18_21-24-5.png

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. Clumsy Pacer

You might get away with the main part of the bodywork, ie not the cabs, but that's about it tbh. I think the time savings would be negligible.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I really don't think that the pace of new releases has anything to do with the issue of bug fixing. I'm sure there are different teams working in those areas.
    Companies don't have " periods of reflection " when they down tools and sit around and think about the moon and the stars. Planning the near and long term direction of the company is a permanent state for management. New products are a necessity and will go ahead regardless of the state of existing products. Some people on the forum ( and this thread ) have a very strange idea of how for-profit organizations operate.

• Like Like x 1
  28. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I'm referring to tomorrow's roadmap, not the next few months just to clarify.

29. Cash

Cash Well-Known Member

30. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

This I think is actually quite a fascinating subject because while we have had a month with at least 1 new add-on coming out every week, I do get the feeling that this may have been a result of Rush Hour and how those routes came out over a period of 7 weeks. Allow me to explain.

Now keep in mind about what Rush Hour was originally meant to be, a 3 route bundle that would have been released all in one go, before it was changed into the season ticket concept we know today. Now as much as DTG say that the reason for this change was to allow people to option to buy each route both individually and as a pack, I get the feeling that the reason they did this was because the project was running behind schedule and they wanted to allocated more time to certain routes in order to make them the best they can be (I do remember Sam saying something along those lines on this very forum). Speaking of Sam, I remember him saying in the Q&A stream DTG did in the aftermath of the announcement of the season ticket that any extra time dedicated to any add-on also effects the development of other projects that they or other third-parties might be working on at that moment.

Why do I bring this up? Because that what's seemingly happening right now.

As much as it's been great to have 5 add-ons come out in the space of 4 weeks (including 2 in one day), I get the feeling that some of these add-ons probably should have already been out by now or should have released earlier than they should have been had it not been of Rush Hour running behind schedule. Now I'll admit that the only add-on that I could see coming out around now is West Cornwall Local as that route has been in production since late July/early August, maybe even longer than that, and since it's been two months since the release of the first Rush Hour route, and considering it was the only other route we knew about at the time, it's makes sense that it's the first route to come out post Rush Hour.

The other 3 add-ons however. The 313 was probably going to be release around July time. I mean, it was briefly in the Upcoming stage of the roadmap around late May, before going back into production and subsequently being delayed for... reasons. Before going back into upcoming around early October and is now set for release next Thursday.

The 1938 Stock and the DB BR 187 however, now why do I get the feeling that these were add-ons supposed to be release apart from each other if Rush Hour had gone as originally intended? You see, I remember the stats for the 1938 stock briefly appear sometime around early July, before they were removed and replaced with the stats for what would become Boston Sprinter, the first Rush Hour route to come out. Now that was before the season ticket change was announced (and admittedly, I kinda starting thinking that maybe they would release each route separately, as well as in a bundle, not that I wanted to say that at the time), but I also think that with the stats appearing and disappearing for the 38 stock around that time, I think that shows that maybe the 38 stock was originally meant to be coming out around September time, but because the Rush Hour routes where taking some time to get out, and quite frankly, having a third-party add-on come out right in the middle of all of this would have felt out of place, it was decided to have it be one of the first add-ons to come out post Rush Hour, and since the 187 was also ready for release (Supposedly, in reality... actually that's a discussion for someone else to dive into), it was decided to release these two add-ons together on the same day.

But at the end of the day, this is just me speculating, I'll leave you to come to your own conclusions about whether Rush Hour had any effect on how these add-ons are coming out.

But looking forward from here, I kinda get the feeling that there might not be many more add-ons coming out this year. If you look at the roadmap right now, we only have 5 add-ons on it. On a side note, after the 313 has come out, all the add-ons that was on the very first roadmap back in August last year (2 days before the game came out) will have now been release, which leaves us with just 5 add-ons. The 3 TSG products, and the two new US freight routes that was recently added (Sherman Hill & Horseshoe Curve). Now my gut says that we will see at least one of the TSG products come out this year (most likely the Vossloh G6), the other two will probably be out next year. The two US freight routes I think are a long way off yet, they have just entered production and they seem like big long routes that might a while to make, so unless DTG rushes out Sherman Hill for Christmas (Which I don't think is likely by the way, but we will see), I can't see either of them coming out between now and the end of the year. They are probably due sometime next year.

So it does beg the question about what is actually left to come out this year. Hopefully, we will know this soon, but I don't think there will be many more add-ons coming out this year after the 313 releases next week. But I am looking forward to tomorrows roadmap as I feel like we could be getting a glimpse into what is coming over the next couple of months and into next year.

Regardless of what happens, tomorrow is going to be a fascinating day to say the least.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Clumsy Pacer

Matt said that QA picked up on things and it was decided to put it back into production, then RH took priority over everything.

In the past, Matt's quoted about 6 months for them to build a route, which implies to me that Sherman Hill will be out in March/April.

• Like Like x 1
  32. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

As there is currently only one DTG DLC on the roadmap that isn’t slated for imminent release it won’t be long before more routes and locos appear in planning or production. That may or may not be tomorrow but the roadmap will be very sparse if nothing is added. There isn’t even a great deal of 3rd party stuff listed either, not that I’m expecting much new there.

It will be interesting to see what the plans for the general size and complexity of routes are going forwards in the stream.

• Like Like x 3
  33. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I hope to see the Acela Express appear on the roadmap.

• Like Like x 4
  34. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I really hope DTG take a month or two to get all of the issues with TSW 2 (or as many as possible) resolved before doing anything else.

The switch to UE 4.26 seems to have broken a lot of things, especially performance wise, with stuttering on most routes in the PS5 version. I don’t know how Adam’s team can ever be expected to keep on top of everything as it currently stands. Especially when some of Adam’s fixes haven’t worked like the M7 sound on LIRR.

I’ve said it a lot, but I really won’t be buying anything new until I know where we stand in regards to the PS5 - and I’ll need more than encouraging words to be convinced. I’m not the only one that feels like that (by far), so is it worth publishing new DLC yet?

Since UE 4.26 and Rush Hour launched on PS5, the number of issues on the 3x Rush Hour routes and performance across the game has left a lot to be desired. FPS drops and even crashes on old routes like MSB.

I sincerely doubt DTG will take such measures, but I fear if they don’t, there is going to be an unholy mess down the track.

• Like Like x 2
  35. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

The fact that there is no focus on the roadmap leads me to suspect that there wont be many if any additions.

I wonder if the new German DLC has been parked up whilst they fix the optimisation issues with the existing DLCs. I sincerely hope so

• Like Like x 3
  36. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I think tomorrow's roadmap will see some new arrivals...as much as they need to take stock and fix the lingering issues from Rush Hour; long term interest still needs to be maintained. 2x US freight routes will not cut it I am afraid....personally I would be happy to see a US passenger route added as those have been fairly lacking in TSW2 thus far

• Like Like x 3
  37. merseyemu

merseyemu Member

I’d definitely like to see a North West route either the Merseyrail network with the 507/508 Peps or the city line from Liverpool to Manchester with the now sadly defunct pacers but definitely a selection of different locos to be used on the route

• Like Like x 3
  38. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked if they went that long without a release. Just doesn't seem financially viable for DTG. Maybe a Thameslink DLC for BML, or more likely an Acela DLC for Boston? Maybe one of the TSG locos?

• Like Like x 3
  39. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Forgot about that. A switcher would be very welcome.

40. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

I better see more freight routes (as mains, not secondaries) and locos to be seen in the future (preferably, more US Freight). There have already been enough passenger routes and locos for you people to be satisfied with for now.
    (don't agree, don't reply.)
    And I do hope to see at least a Loco add-on for Clinchfield as well.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  41. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Exactly...just look at the release history for every DLC. Apart from the initial CSXHH to GWE gap in TSW1, there is never a gap longer than 2mths without a release and I'm sure the number crunchers at DTG budget for that. Based on that I think it is very, very likely we will see 1 or 2 releases before 2021 is done

• Like Like x 2
  42. thundergaming11

Very unlikely that anything not on the roadmap tomorrow will be released by the end of the year. Possibly one from TSG.

43. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Do you honestly think we need more US freight ? Hell in TSW2 we already have SPG, Clinchfield, Cane Creek and 2 more coming up. US passenger routes need more love not freight

• Like Like x 4
  44. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

What we need is (thats not already been announced)

A modern North of England route
    A Diesel German route
    Acela
    Thameslink

• Like Like x 2
  45. trainsimgaming1001

On top of frieght layers on other routes

46. trainsimgaming1001

One thing is certain: We are almost certainly getting at least 1 TSG release this year, likely the G6, which was supposed to (According to TSG) release in September, and we are almost in November without the STats even in SteamDB. Then the DB BR 420 will probably come around late December. I think we will get at least 1 TSG release this year, and depending on when the G6 does release, maybe a 2nd

47. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Well, unless you can find a route that's other than another NEC section for Amtrak (that doesn't involve BNSF trackage). Or a commuter company (mostly owned by the state) that would gladly give Dovetail the license and the resources to make the route like Caltrain or MBTA. Hate to say this, but US Passengers are gonna be a lot rarer to see happening in TSW2 than in other countries, like UK or Germany. Unless you want to see them unbranded (which we know DTG is not gonna do that for TSW).

48. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

You're right....it will be quite a challenge just due to licensing alone. The Amtrak Pacific Surfliner route seems like a good candidate though

49. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Put finally the ICE T, Acela and Class 700 on the Roadmap and I’m happy plus more German routes.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

The next period of time should be a period of *consolidation*. As the title of this thread implies, this has been a period of rapid expansion, but now DTG need to consolidate.

The discussion tomorrow needs to be about how to make the existing content work for everyone. If this means pulling one route making team off new content and putting them on existing content then that is fine. The quality of work is getting worse and each route now needs at least one serious patch before it is even remotely decent. It won't be long before all of the content released in the last 2 months is lumped on the preservation crew and then the teams move on to making new content again. This is not a sustainable model.

The preservation crew is seriously underpowered and it gets worse every few months. When they were first formed there was quite a few DLCs, but now the number of routes they cover includes all of those plus everything that has been released since. With each set of releases the preservation crew have more and more to cover.

And even worse, they have a growing list of new features that can be retro-fitted to the older routes but there are still only 4? people in the team. There will be either shorter bursts on the older routes or it will take much longer between each route getting some updates. The best thing then would be for one set of people who normally make content to be put into preservation mode for a while to try and catch up.

They also need to do a ton of core work like optimisation, upgrading older trains to be less resource intensive, fixing sound on xbox, making RH passengers work on BML, making Dresden less laggy. If they still have most people working on new unannounced routes and locos, then they have their priorities wrong IMHO.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 8