It Is Coming Tomorrow

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Bradley, Oct 20, 2021.

1. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

How do you know I’m not a developer?

As I’ve said, the further you are away from the trackside the detail in the scenery is surely less relevant? If the trackside, stations, rolling stock etc have issues then that is surely more of a priority to get right. I wouldn’t expect anyone to go into high detailing things away from the lineside but I would expect the train to sound good, the controls to work properly and the physics to be within an acceptable range of the real thing.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you. While I do think the dual carriageway could have had a touch more love put into it, at least moving cars as we know it can be done, I didn't see any issue with the other 2 images we where shown. Firstly, the far away show of the house and garden looked fine. A bit of repeating textures, but you'd never notice that from the cab. And secondly, that close up image of the grass is just silly. I don't know anyone who buys a train sim, to then go right up to the grass to examine the textures in such high detail. Meanwhile, I'd argue more work could be done on the 150, aka the train you drive and will likely spend 65% of you time driving (assuming you spend about 30% on driving the 37 that is). The 150 seems alright to me, but as others have explained, and I know from my years of being on them when they where my local train, it's acceleration and braking are wrong, and some of the audio could be further tweaked in my opinion, particularly in the cab. But the scenery looks alright to me. Not the best, I'll admit, but far better from what we've seen previously from Rivet.

• Like Like x 3
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I agree with them. Anything that's within about 100m of the boundary of the game (ie where you can walk to) should be modelled at least within a given level of accuracy. That looks like two country lanes smooshed together rather than a dual carriageway

• Like Like x 2
  4. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

So the reason I went to the grass is because the textures are poor and represent the squares on the field. Why would I just call out Rivet on this but have never criticised DTG for doing it. Like I said previously, look at ECW or SEHS, the grass textures are far better. It looks poor even from the cab. I am entitled to let people know of what they are buying, also it has been received with mixed reviews. You don't mind poor quality but other people want more for their money and they are entitled to that.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ant Craft

Firstly, please don't tell me what I do and don't mind, because I certainly don't like poor quality. However, not everyone has the same definition of poor quality, and there's things more important to fix than some grass textures you will likely probably never notice. You claim that they look poor from the cab, so if that's the case, would you mind sharing what they look like from the cab?

• Like Like x 1
  6. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

Firstly I don’t want poor quality!

Let’s put it this way, would you be happier if the roads was textured, had correct road markings, road signs in the right place, uncut verges with grass swaying in the wind at 25 meters away, with grass placement by hand with no repeat textures on a field 50 meters from the permanent way, but the trains had poor textures, copied sounds from the wrong train and lacking controls and functionality in the cab?

I certainly want quality but I want it where I’m playing the game, from eye level when walking about and from the cab whilst driving.

DTG and Rivet could almost certainly take a 50 mile stretch of railway and make it photo realistic with every building placed correctly up to a mile from the route, but it would take years to create a route and make it that run smoothly and with that would come an increase in price

7. alexjjones6024

well you are criticising me for my approach to how something should be modelled and I don't appreciate that, so lets be respectful.
    Have you got the DLC? Have you loaded it up and seen for yourself?

When I am not working, I will gladly send in screenshots but for now, you can use my photos above as reference and I personally feel that is poor quality. I would expect better because I have seen better in previous releases.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ant Craft

I'm not criticising your approach to how you think it should be modelled at all. As I said, we all have different expectations of how it should look, and different ideas over what is high and low quality. I just disagree with you. And no, I haven't got the DLC, but I have watched the preview video a couple of times and scrutinised it. However, I think it's more important that attention is focused on other things, like the train you spend most of the time driving, or the stations you stop at, that's all. Also, you said that they had better grass textures on SEHS, but I have seen this same grass texture on there before. Like for example, it's used for the gardens of some of the houses by Gravesend station, and can be seen from the track. It is minimally used, so there's that, but it is there nonetheless. I have also seen better in previous releases, but I have also seen worse too. Like I said previously, I think the dual carriage way could be improved, but I simply can't agree with you on the grass textures until I've at least seen how it looks from the cab. If then it's blatantly obvious, then maybe I'll agree

• Like Like x 2
  9. alexjjones6024

I understand, appreciate your comments.

When I send photos from the cab for your consideration, are they allowed to be side views, from the drivers window? ;)

10. GothicMatt

GothicMatt Active Member

I for a fact used to be a game tester for Microsoft and i probably never found every bug in all the games and apps i tested and believe me its not as easy as it sounds it can be very complex indeed, but im happy for this to be delayed and fixed with whatever the issues DTG found

• Like Like x 2
  11. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Why am I getting a sense of deja vu?

• Like Like x 1
  12. alexjjones6024

different threads, other platforms and users :)

13. Ant Craft

Honestly, I think if you can see it from the cab at all, it counts. So I'd say whichever one is easier to see it from. And glad we got that cleared up. Wasn't trying to criticise you or anything like I said, just think it benefits the discussion if we all give our opinions on the matter. :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

Then that should be included in the tutorial (maybe it will be in the fully released build), because to be told to press a button to silence something that you cannot currently hear, due to not having turned on something that you didn't know about, is more than a little bit silly.

15. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

also of note, 5 collectibles are missing

16. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

5?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

There are 98 from what I've found. 3 are not at stations. I figure they've put 5 in hard to find places.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. davebadger#4587

davebadger#4587 Member

3 are at long rock depot. I have 97 at the moment

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Knowing Rivet, there's probably a hidden path to walk around somewhere along the route with a collectible or two hidden away :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

The clue is in the achievement itself. All of them can be found.

21. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

i found two on long rock and habe now 96

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021