Petition To Make “dad Rail” An Ambassador

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Irish Train sim, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Irish Train sim

Irish Train sim Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen Dad Rails streams on BML? With the experience of being a real world train driver, he gives great insight into both the train and route experience. Makes for great viewing. He could provide great feedback to DTG and others for future routes/DLC.

Much better viewing and chat than some existing ambassadors with more existing subscribers.

He could make the game even better!

• Like Like x 13
  2. Switches3

Switches3 Well-Known Member

He’s very knowledgeable and I’ve learned quite a lot from him.

• Like Like x 2
  3. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

I'll add my +1 he's very good.

DTG JD - make it so ;)

• Like Like x 11
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’ve been watching Dad Rail for quite a long time. I’m glad he’s got into TSW streams now and he would be a great ambassador for DTG, and he is eager to grow his channel further too. He has a very honest and laid back style and bags of first hand expert knowledge and good stories to tell.

• Like Like x 6
  5. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

Agree with the above posts, his videos make good viewing. Love the way he knows the route and describes what action he is taking and why, ie two yellows, introduce a bit of break, bring it down, 40 limit ahead.... good stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

Started watching his streams recently and I agree. He should be an ambassador for DTG.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I’d never heard of him before this post, but watched a few videos last night. Really good. Nice to get a real train drivers perspective. So +1 from me.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Been watching his channel for years. He’d be a great ambassador so +1 for me

• Like Like x 2
  9. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Agree with y’all. Dad rail is very good and knowledgeable

• Like Like x 1
  10. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Should have pinged me about this one....time to go investigate.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i have watched a few of his videos and i agree with everyone else he is very good

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Well-Known Member

Agree, very good!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Steve May

Steve May New Member

+1. Totally agree with this.

• Like Like x 1
  14. George1862

George1862 Active Member

+1. Totally agree

15. Wooki74

Wooki74 Active Member

+1 I agree too.

16. superkillieboy

superkillieboy Member

This is what DTG needs. Dad rail is a great channel and says it like it is. He was even apologetic of being critical of some parts of the game but that’s exactly what you want, so the game can be improved upon.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Spongebob

Spongebob New Member

Absolutely agree, brilliant insight from a driver/enthusiast who genuinely seems to enjoy TSW2.

18. Irish Train sim

DTG Natster DTG Protagonist , appreciate you guys are very busy and there are more important things but based on the feedback above, could “dad rail” be approached please, if not already? Personally, I’m sick of Mega Sim’s content to put it bluntly. Sorry if this breaks any rules.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dad Rail

Dad Rail New Member

Thanks Everybody for the kind words! - Didn't know this was a thing until last nights stream.

• Like Like x 16
  20. ZR Leigh

ZR Leigh Member

I haven’t seen Dad Rail on YouTube yet. I’ll have a look!

21. Me with a train

Me with a train Active Member

+1 from me!

22. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

The guy can't even shave properly... He'd fit in well with DTG..

23. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Why are you sick of Mega Sim’s content?

24. Irish Train sim

I think he’s very repetitive, both with his routes and narrative. Also, his “Train real world” videos make it seem like he wants anything for a few views. Rather than learning new things such as PZB, I’d rather see him at least trying and failing, making an attempt than the same old repetitive stuff and then saying he doesn’t have the time to learn PZB. Just my opinion though and have removed myself as a subscriber this past week or so.

• Like Like x 3
  25. Stueyboy43

Stueyboy43 Member

+1 for me his streams are really insightful

26. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Can someone clarify why he would be a good ambassador? Watched a few videos of him because of this topic and don't understand the appeal. I presume this topic is a plug?

27. Irish Train sim

Not a plug, just find his videos much better than those of other and current ambassadors and ticks all the boxes that were mentioned by Matt for an ambassador. As for clarifying why he would be a good ambassador, please read my opening comments.

28. antwerpcentral

I don't agree at all. Sure there is stuff to say about the existing ambassadors but Dad rail would not improve on that in my opinion.

I haven't found any brand ambassador for TSW 2 that I'm subscribed to. The only channel that I'm subscribed to is the one from Train Simulator itself and that's because the news always comes from there. There are a few I watch streams of when they get pushed by Youtube so it's not like I don't watch them at all. But most streamers on TSW lack production value and those that do don't have much interesting to say about the game that we don't get on the official stream.

Dad Rail has a lot interesting to say about rail stuff but doesn't have much interesting to say about the game and with al the "like, subscribe and send me money" approach he lacks the production value to make me actually do all those things.

The stuff DTG tells about in their streams you could discuss for hours on streams and make interesting content but the only thing most streamers do is do a service. Make ambassadors debate the streams with each other that would already be more fun to watch than to watch a route I can drive myself. More collaboration between TSW 2 streamers would be nice.

There is more interesting stuff to read on the forums about TSW2 than there is on the streams. Most of the games it's the other way around.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Tigert1966

The reason I like Dad Rail is his actual driving experience. It gives a completely different point of view.

The only ambassadors I’m aware of are British Ace and Megasim. I’ve nothing against either of them, they can be quite enjoyable, but they do seem to have much idea how the trains actually work. One of them even gave the DB 187 a positive review (which is fine if they really felt that, but I can’t see a real driver thinking that).

My personal favourite is trainsimulatordriver. He has some driving experience, presents things in a balanced way and contributes a lot on here. Sadly I don’t think he has nearly enough subscribers to be an ambassador.

• Like Like x 2
  30. antwerpcentral

Well I think Dad Rail will also give a positive review on the BR-187 when he is a brand ambassador from what I've seen on his stream.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Irish Train sim

Agree with a lot of your points. I’m not subscribed to any ambassadors at present as I prefer the news from the company.

I do like dad rail though and find his views as an experienced train driver fascinating. Seems like a genuine nice bloke in my opinion.

32. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s because of his positive and honest attitude towards all things railway related and his appreciation of what is good about the simulator. A brand ambassador wouldn’t be much use if they started from a point of negativity and added a bit of extra negativity every time they found something wrong with a DLC. They can be critical and honest when needed but ambassadors are there to show how good the sim is to a wider audience and the impression many people get is that Dad Rail would be good at doing that based on his knowledge and honesty and his personality on his videos and streams. Watching his content is a pleasurable experience.

• Like Like x 2
  33. antwerpcentral

There is a difference with running a patreon stream and being a brand ambassador. You can do both but the honesty part disappears. What's the difference with "I noticed that X but was told this will be fixed in the final build" and "some people in the stream mentioned that X but I'm sure it will not be present in the final build"? The first would be Dad Rail and the latter the current version of it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  34. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

I like his content so that’s a yes

• Like Like x 1
  35. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

he was quite direct with dtg about the quality of the class 66, which is one of his his working day office. Quite short shrift. I think he has good balance.

• Like Like x 2
  36. antwerpcentral

Because he can. He is not tied to DTG so he can say whatever he wants about the game. He even uses a disclaimer for that. When he becomes a brand ambassador he will get the game for free and that changes the dynamic. When he would stream video's about to be released content there is an embargo on things he can say and show.

If you want an honest opinion of Dad Rail about the content of DTG the best thing is to leave him independent and use the like button or support him on Patreon.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

So the upshot is the ambassador programme has little meaning because it destroys a person's neutrality?

I see where you're coming from. Still, the critical eye is probably what is actually needed to give such a programme credibility.

38. antwerpcentral

Brand ambassadors are marketing tools. Why would a brand ambassador programme be useless just because they only spread a good image about a brand? That is what they are their for.

39. Tigert1966

As far as I know (and that isn’t much). The ambassadors are still allowed to give their own opinion. It’s just that the 2 I’ve seen are nearly always positive about everything.

If DTG tells them what to say, then in my opinion this totally devalues the point of it.

The ambassador program does however give them advance copies and I’d like to see the opinion of someone such as Dad Rail instead of just people that play it as a game before I buy.

If they have to sign something that limits what feedback they give, then I agree, it’s not so good and rather pointless.

All this assumes Dad Rail would want to do it anyway.

40. niko558

niko558 Member

Ambassador or not I hope Dad Rail continues to give honest reviews of TSW2 DLC as they are very informative, shame he’s not on PS4. Keep up the good work!!!

41. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

My honest opinion is that DTG will encourage the ambassadors to say if there is something they’re not happy with. They always say they are happy to receive all feedback after all. As to if the ambassadors feel pressure to not to give that feedback I’m not sure.