Br Class 55 (deltic)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mattty May, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think it should be considered criminal if this icon of British engineering didn’t make it in to TSW 2. Everyone must want (need) the Deltic in their collection, surely?

• Like Like x 32
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

So many people want a Deltic and the ECML to run it on. I’d want it in pristine and weathered livery variants too, just to show both its workhorse status and its majesty.

• Like Like x 13
  3. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Can it be possible to say yes too many times? The 55's are a absolute must. Personally I like the BR Blue with Finsbury Park white cab window surrounds.

• Like Like x 7
  4. david-bright184169

david-bright184169 Active Member

Yes but what about the sound?
    They had a very distinctive sound and I would not be willing to pay for it if it did not match the original.
    When they were introduced I lived not far away from a mainline station and would here them
    getting up to speed, once heard never forgotten!

• Like Like x 4
  5. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Add my vote into the mix, twin Napier's would be a joy to behold. I with elarthur in the white cab surrounds!

• Like Like x 5
  6. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

I always liked that engine sound, so yes, I would like to have it in game.

Cheers

• Like Like x 5
  7. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

Sign me up, and I'll even sell my soul to the devil for this to be made a reality, hell I'll even take bidding offers for my kidneys too........

• Like Like x 6
  8. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Deltics are a must for me.

• Like Like x 4
  9. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Nice suggestion matjamca, why do you like the Deltic in particular? and what's your favourite livery of the Deltics?

• Like Like x 5
  10. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

Deltics in BR Blue is a must do

• Like Like x 6
  11. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think it’s such an iconic locomotive. Built not far from where I live and sounds amazing. I think the BR Blue would be great. I do like the two tone green livery too.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Good to see you in here Jamie!
    To answer you question is more a case of where to begin! Their unique opposed piston design motors, of which there of two per loco, produced a truly unique sound perhaps? Their ability to run at high speed continuously for hours on end, and when needed accelerate at a phenomenal rate, remember these replaced the majestic A4's with a fleet of only 22 locomotives! The glorious scavenger blower which after the sat at idle for a couple of minutes would collect oil to subsequently blow off in two plumes of smokes when throttle was applied. There names, Finsbury Park continued with its tradition of racehorses, Gateshead and Haymarket with theirs and English and Scottish Regiments respectively. It just wasn't 'another' Deltic it was 'Meld, Tulyar, The Black Watch, Durham Light Infantry or KOYLI' you saw or travelled behind. As a child, and having family links in the NE I used to dream of a visit. To just stand and listened on the embankment to them pounding the ECML did and still does send shivers down my back and takes me back to that 5 year old boy.
    I could go on.....
    As for livery it's a toss up between Finsbury Park blue, white surrounds and two tone green, white surrounds for me.
    How can you and Matt, if you truly are the loco fan you claim, not want a Deltic! It's like having a 3 legged donkey, you love it to death but it's missing something is the way I feel about TSW2
    That's my empassionate wismsical plea anyway!!

• Like Like x 5
  13. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

These locomotives would offer so much to TSW2 Jamie. As the others have said, they were/are so iconic with fabulous sounds, sights and smells not to mention their awesome liveries and names. EE companies finest work. I really hope these arrive in the game at some point in the not too distant future.

• Like Like x 6
  14. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I could reminisce about my time in Durham and link to my video again but that would test people's patience. IMHO green suited the Deltics best (name a locomotive that looked it's best in BR Corporate Blue)- they have somewhat featureless bodies and the two tone green breaks that up somehow adding a bit of detail that isn't there otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
  15. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I'm all for having Deltics in TSW2, would prefer to see them in BR two-toned green than BR blue personally.

I'd also like to see DP1 "Deltic" added to the game at somepoint too :)

• Like Like x 3
  16. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

“Once the tail of the train was over the 60 mph restriction the throttle was opened to the full, and the surge forward could be felt in the cab. Never previously had I felt a positive thrust in my back when in the second man's seat!"

- O.S. Nock​

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Phil78

Phil78 Active Member

If it helps in any way with a popularity vote for the Dovetail team to give us a Deltic through popular demand, I'll throw my enthusiasm into the ring for it too.

I was disappointed that we never got one for TSW 2020 and can only hope that they want to make sure that if they are planning on a Deltic release for TSW2, it is spot on with an epic set of route scenarios and are working hard behind the scenes on making it a 'flagship' DLC.

• Like Like x 8
  18. mark8hutchinson

mark8hutchinson New Member

Totally agree. Deltic can’t come soon enough!!

• Like Like x 4
  19. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

We want and need a deltic

• Like Like x 5
  20. mark8hutchinson

The sound they make is amazing and unlike any other loco. Personally the Finsbury Park livery, blue with white window surrounds, is my favourite closely followed by the two tone green but to be fair they still looked great in standard BR blue. As for the route I’d like to see them on in TSW, I think York to Newcastle would be brilliant. Please make it happen!!

• Like Like x 2
  21. formulabee#1362

No, they were based in Wcml and west country

• Like Like x 1
  22. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

They were primarily ECML although later years did see them travelling to other areas. Think your confusing them with class 50.

• Like Like x 1
  23. mark8hutchinson

No we’re talking about the class 55 Deltic here. They were based on the ECML and in the last year or two of their working life on trans pennine services between Liverpool/York/ Newcastle

24. JJTimothy

Er... No! They were introduced specifically to take over top-link express services on the ECML from steam (making them very unpopular at first). They did get around a little but all were shedded at Finsbury Park, Gateshead and Haymarket. I dimly recall reading about an idea of building a WCML fleet but electrification would have already been well under way at the time so it remained an idea.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_55

• Like Like x 2
  25. isaac47593

isaac47593 Well-Known Member

I’d only buy that route if it came with another loco as well because I hate Deltics lol

26. mark8hutchinson

Deltics ran alongside classes 47, 20, 25, 31, 37, 40, 45, 56 etc many of which are already on TSW so shouldn’t be a problem to include some of them. Would be nice to see class 56 and 25 though

• Like Like x 1
  27. isaac47593

isaac47593 Well-Known Member

I don’t see why the 25 hasn’t been added yet, it would be a perfect DLC for NTP!

• Like Like x 1
  28. VGK

VGK New Member

Hey Guys, so I've just found TSW2 been watching all the you tube videos, taking me back to my train spotting days in the 80s on Darlington station. Currently looking at buying a new rig to run the software and selected all the DLCs I want to get. (way too many the wife will kill me) And have to agree with this comments on this thread we need the King of locos The 55 Deltic, for those of you old enough like me to remember the magic and majesty every time a Deltic came thundering in, I even scored a short cab ride out of York station. So please please please Dovetail TSW2 is incomplete without it.

• Like Like x 4
  29. VGK

VGK New Member

LOL, I share your enthusiasm for the 55 not quite sure ill go quite as far as my kidneys but ill definitely pay decent coin for it.

• Like Like x 2
  30. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Sure is and these can fit can fit the East Coast Main Line 1970s together with the original HST with Paxman Valenta engines. Provided you set the ECML York to Newcastle upon Tyne the late 1970s to Early 1980s like Train Sim 21.

• Like Like x 6
  31. Doyden

Doyden Active Member

My first Deltic experience was when my Dad took me to Grantham on a bleak day in 1980. I was immediately mesmerised by the sight and sound of these fantastic machines. The white cabs gleamed even in the darkness of a cloudy, wintery afternoon.

A year and a half later in October 1981 (40 years ago!!) and I'm stood on the platforms of York station on a Friday night watching the last surviving Deltics coming and going. My parents were with me and even my Mum who wasn't at all interested in trains, was totally bowled over by the power of the Deltics. I was lucky enough to gain entry to a cab and chat to the driver and would later find myself accidentally being treated to a short cab ride at Pickering station a year later in one of the preserved Deltics.

The only Deltic I didn't get to tick off in my Motive Power book of 1980 was KOYLI, other than St Paddy and Nimbus which were already withdrawn or at least no longer in service. I have since seen KOYLI at the DPS at Barrow Hill but can't bring myself to mark it off in the book, leaving it untouched and as I left it when my first spell of interest in railways waned.

This long ramble is just a prelude to adding my vote to this thread. Please, please consider a Deltic DLC. It's what I've been waiting for since first buying TSW in 2018. I just hope there aren't legal complications over the use of the names which may be a stumbling block.

• Like Like x 6
  32. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

Add my name to the list! Deltics in game would be fantastic! Br Blue with white window surrounds… or any livery except that mess they did with Gordon Highlander in the early 2000s!

• Like Like x 5
  33. Blu

Blu Active Member

For me its the scream of the engine's! Also being a fan of ships, the Napier engine that was fitted in Royal Navy patrol boats. really floats my boat. Its really unique on the railways. Not to mention, they were the worlds most powerful and fastest diesels for a bit.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  34. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

It would be so wrong not to add a Deltic DLC in future. That loco is a beast!

• Like Like x 4
  35. xi haoyu china

xi haoyu china Active Member

thread bumping is bad. dont do more!

36. xi haoyu china

xi haoyu china Active Member

what is deltic???? please add photo and top speed and other information

37. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

In this case he added useful information to the thread, which is more than you've been doing recently so I wouldn't start preaching to other forum users just yet.

Google (or fancy Chinese equivalent) is your friend... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_55

Class_55_Deltic,_Princes_St_Gardens,_Edinburgh,_September_1980_Slides259_(10196492076)_-crop-.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Deltics are a short lived (less than twenty years in full service) class of diesel locos that hauled express passenger services from London to Scotland. They were the first "proper mainline express diesel" in the UK, especially one capable of sustained 100mph speed on the UK network. They directly replaced the express steam engines on that route, in fact because of their power and availability they replaced more than double their number of steam engines!
    They're fairly unusual in having two engines within one body, but this gave them a heck of a lot of power, and it's this which makes them "fan worthy" (as in, people want to see them). A huge growling burbling engine at full chat hauling a buttload of coaches on a fast mainline is what some people would say is a "proper train"

Of course nowadays 100mph can be obtained by commuter shuttles and the top speed of the network is 125 (or 140 on HS1), but people do like to "hark back to older days when things were simpler"

• Like Like x 5
  39. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Ooh yes please, a Deltic with the ECML (or part of it), take my money! I've never been overly interested in BR Diesels, but the Deltics I really do like.

It's only bad when it's adding nothing to the topic.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Pot, kettle and black spring to mind!

• Like Like x 4
  41. JJTimothy

Oh go on then:

Best bits are at 1'30", 5', 7'30", 11'50" and 18' (IMHO of course).

• Like Like x 7
  42. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

I'd say the more unusual thing is the engine itself. Opposed-piston engines are rare-enough as it is, let alone in a triangle configuration. It was only used in the 55 and 23 locos too, pretty much all the other applications for the Deltic were marine

• Like Like x 4
  43. Blu

Blu Active Member

And a fire engine in the USA :P

44. Blu

Blu Active Member

To sum up the British Railways D9000s, Later TOPS Class 55 they are as iconic as the British Rail HSTs. The "Baby Deltics" TOPS Class 23, used on locals out of Kings Cross Suffered from the stop start work they had to do which the Deltic engine was not suited for.

While we all have our favorite motive power, The "Deltic" is iconic.

• Like Like x 3
  45. jmhdc812

jmhdc812 Active Member

Somehow, I doubt western idioms are his strong suit. :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. Blu

Blu Active Member

I think you are confusing two different locos. The Class 52 "Western" also had two engines like the Deltic. However I think you are confusing both with the Class 50 from EE. While not an improvement of the Deltic it was EE's Class 47! But the electronics were ahead of their time. After the electrification North of Crewe the class 50s were sent to the western region to get rid of the 52s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. JJTimothy

Am I right in thinking that the Deltic engines were used to power the pumps? I heard that someone acquired some engines from a US fire department and donated them for preserved locomotives but specified (in his will unfortunately) that the first use should be to get the prototype back into working order- a big ask since the prototype and its engines differ significantly from the production machines.

55022 was running with an engine from a Norwegian patrol boat for a while.

A little out of context but can I mention the Fell Diesel here? A one-off Diesel-mechanical main line locomotive commisioned by the LMS IIRC but which entered service with BR. It had six (not a typo' 6) engines- although only four ("Only four!" :o)were used for traction with two smaller engines providing auxillary power.

• Like Like x 2
  48. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised we haven't had Deltics yet. Beautiful loco and so iconic

• Like Like x 4
  49. formulabee#1362

They aren’t thread bumping, you are

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  50. Blu

Blu Active Member

Yes New York Fire department used them as pumps on some fairly substantial Fire Trucks/Engines. I shared a vid earlier in this thread showing all aspects of the Napier Deltic engine. Its really worth watching, as it shows the NYFD pumps xD