Train Sim World 2 - Bringing Steam To Tsw2

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Sorry misread the post very tied this morning, Steam Loco's will likely not be until late next year if things stay on track.

2. flopel#5127

flopel#5127 Member

Release was in the August. August is now

3. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

Rush hour is what has released now, not steam trains.

4. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Ya'll blind? already told him

5. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

6. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

7. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

First Routes should be West Germany Bochum Steam Railway Museum this one gives Access to HRR Essen to Duisburg section or Wutachtalbahn both have PZB equipped North Yorkshire Moors or Settle to Carlisle United States Soldier Summit Big Boy or FEF-3. The Challenge here is German Steam locomotives having PZB some of them using the original version Indusi 34 version instead of Post German reunification PZB 90

8. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I think Harz Narrow Gauge would be a great start for German steam - small locos that are big in their own environment, they run daily to this day and it is probably the best-known steam network in Germany. (Look at my suggestions if you want a bit more information).

• Like Like x 2
  9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

The reason to why I went Bochum steam Railway if the community wanted a Mainline Steam locomotive on an electrified route in this case HRR. For Harz Steam Network the first German steam route the bundle must have UK & US routes. Basically the standard for TSW2

10. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

That's for sure and I think you'd be able to find some equivalents in both countries, for example, Durango and Silverton as a US route. 45 miles and supposedly some of the greatest railroad views in the US.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Just road the fantastic line a month ago, while it has great scenery and is definitely a bucket list line for any steam enthusiast… I am afraid it would be a bit under whelming for most who use this simulation since it is a low speed mountain narrow gauge route that is basically point A to B. I do have the route in TS Classic which is a bit dated, but still fun.. I would rather see mainline stream with freight, switching servicing industry and a bit of passenger work.

12. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

This is another project that was announced way, way too soon. There is not much hype left now, people will have forgotten about it once it gets to release time. Yes there will be another push of course, but you only get the surprise and excitement of the reveal once.

As per Matt in another thread, there isn't even anything to see right now many months after it was put on the roadmap.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

They said they were working on it to stop people constantly asking for it basically.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Pics or it didn't happen.

Anyway, steam is progressing. It's on the roadmap because it's being worked on.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Well, I wouldn't mind a PRR Era with T1s :D just threw Durango in as a sort of parallel to the Harz (though that's a bit more of a network)

• Like Like x 1
  16. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

2022 year?

17. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's like GTA VI: It will get here when it gets here.

18. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I'd like to see DTG answer the question 'will steam be coming to the last gen consoles?' Given it will take a long, long time to arrive will it be viable for last gen?

As for a route, I'd like to see Liverpool - Manchester with the Rocket.

19. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a research nightmare would be cool though

• Like Like x 1
  20. dhekelian

You think so? There has been loads of photo's, books, films and documentaries about the rocket, trials and Liv - Man route. The only thing stopping them is the will.

21. Tank621

It's still 31 miles of track in an age where photography was in its infancy, building an accurate route will be next to impossible. They'd effectively have to rely on period maps and paintings or much later imagery, I just don't see it being realistically feasible I'm afraid. I'm not sure what the oldest routes are in TS2020, but as far as I am aware they are roughly a century more recent than the period of the Rocket running about. I suspect there's good reason for that, photography and films were far more mainstream and aerial photography was becoming pretty widespread, especially when considering the advancements made in the field during the Second World War something I suspect is a great asset in building heritage routes.

I just don't see it being realistically feasible, there simply cannot be enough visual references to work from.

• Like Like x 3
  22. dhekelian

Reading your messages yes, I can see DTG not having a clue what the route was like but this is not the case, There has been quite a few re-enactments of the route. They know every inch of it. There has been recent documentaries about the route and is fascinating.

I can't understand your hostility in such an iconic route especially the birth of the 'inter-city' passenger route and where steam takes its blueprint from. I'm not expecting it to be 100% accurate, after all what route is? I just think it would be fitting to have the Rocket in there where it would also be an introduction. I'd pay for it.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Tank621

It's not hostility, I'd love to see it, I'm just not convinced of its feasibility, but hey, we can dream.

• Like Like x 2
  24. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

If DTG did it, immediately the moaners would whinge about "too few services."

• Like Like x 2
  25. dhekelian

They would be concentrating on keeping the Rocket running to be bothered about services, lol.

I'm not expecting this to be a grand 'must have' route although for me it would be, but more of a show piece as an introduction to steam where they could show of their talents.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  26. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I reckon it would be an interesting novelty, and certainly a challenge to keep the thing moving, but i'm not sure how long trundling along at 15-20mph in that that would keep my interest, compared to something grand like the Flying Scotsman or Big Boy.

• Like Like x 2
  27. dhekelian

I suppose it won't interest everyone which is a shame given the significance. For me it is a sense of a special moment in history.

28. Tank621

Same for every route really and that's why having many options is great

29. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

If you are doing an american steam route. You must do the Norfolk and Western. It has a little bit of everything so it would satisfy all.

30. flopel#5127

flopel#5127 Member

31. CowBoyWolf

Nope

32. flopel#5127

flopel#5127 Member

Is there a Release date?

33. CowBoyWolf

Nope

34. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

With this thread being up top again, it's my chance to ask:

Where are the articles on steam? It's been months and we'd (or I'd) love to hear about where it is in developement. Last time we heard from it we were promised an article on research into historic routes, that sounds really interesting and I'd love to read it sometime soon :).

35. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Just checking - did you watch Sam and Matt‘s big Q&A stream? Matt gave quite the big update on steam there.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

What was the big update ?

37. Lamplight

In Summary:
    They‘ve got one guy working on steam and it‘s progressing well. It was discovered that Simugraph was not working fast enough for steam with anything faster than 20 mph falling apart. This has now been resolved and speeds of up to 100 mph (Matt was very clear that this is no hint at the first steam loco - it would just be shortsighted to not build the groundwork properly so that all steam locos can use it) for steam are now supported by Simugraph. The way Simugraph simulates pressure (as previously used for brakes) was somewhat flawed and has now been corrected - this may benefit diesels/electrics down the line as well depending on how the engineer handled it in Simugraph. Thus far, no work has been invested into particle effects, but a team is already assembled and ready to work on it once steam is a little closer.

Lastly, and this one surprised me the most, they‘re already mostly done with the art for one steam loco and the coaches/cars (Matt wasn‘t clear on this point) coming with it. Matt also said that once the ground work in Simugraph is done, it‘ll just be another route DLC in terms of workload, which to my mind confirms that we‘re not looking at a loco DLC for the first steam loco.

That should be all. If I had a timestamp for the stream, I‘d put it here, but I can‘t remember when it was talked about.

Edit: Found it. Stream with timestamp.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  38. jolojonasgames

Will check it out, thanks :)

39. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Brilliant summary there Lamplight . Jogged my memory for one bit too.

40. Lamplight

• Like Like x 1
  41. Lamplight

Having just rewatched that part of the stream, I‘ve got one correction to my summary.
    Matt said they‘re mostly done with the art for the steam locos - plural. Just some food for thought.

• Like Like x 1
  42. jolojonasgames

If I may add another correction, they said speeds upwards of 100 mph, not up to.

By the way, the locos thing just affirms what I got from the stream: they're releasing one route, with two locos and some wagons. It might just be possible that it will be multiple routes, like Rush Hour, with Spirit of Steam being a similar bundle, but I doubt it.

I do have a feeling we'll see soon enough though. My guess is for steam somewhere around the new year. I feel like they might even want to push it out just before christmas, but with a number of releases already on the roadmap that would seem a little tight.

• Like Like x 1
  43. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

As nice as It would be, this thing is not releasing this year. There are at least 2 more releases this year: WCL and 313 and we still don't even know what routes we are getting.
    Remember the 1 Article about steam a month rubbish? The last article was 7 Months ago before even rush hour was announced. It said:
    In the next steam article we'll be talking about the world these trains run in, the track, the signaling and how we go about replicating a world that no longer exists.
    I wonder why it is taking so long to write...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  44. Tank621

For the sake of speculation...

I suspect the first route will be UK based for a number of reasons. Obviously, for a UK based company, it is the most convenient nation to start with as research will be easier for UK rolling stock and routes over anything else. For the first route, it also makes sense to keep things simple where possible, and the UK (to my knowledge) is the only nation in the game to currently have coaches suitable for steam locomotives with the Mark 1 which can be further modified to suit a particular region and timeframe.

As for the locomotives, I will echo many earlier comments in that the particularly iconic locomotives like the Flying Scotsman and Mallard likely will not be the first steam locos we see in the game as these will carry exceptionally high expectations and so it is logical to have at least a few DLC's worths of experience before attempting them. Likewise, for a first steam route, some regional backwater running small tank engines and nothing else is not going to cut it and will be disappointing to many.

For me, it seems most logical that the route will be a main line of some description and if it indeed does come with 2 (or more locomotives) I think it would make the most sense to have a fairly ubiquitous mixed traffic locomotive that is not only suited for a wide range of passenger and freight operations but will also be an excellent asset for future routes also. Something like a Stanier Class 5 is the obvious example to me. For a second locomotive, it makes sense to me to have a smaller 0-6-0 tank engine for use as a station pilot and for smaller local services and branch lines.

I think for the first route DTG will go for a purely steam route and will save a mixed steam and diesel route for another release. For that reason, I suspect the most likely time period for the first route will be the early 1950s. However, just considering content we already have which can be modified I suspect it won't be long after the first release until we see a combined steam/diesel route with modified BR Green versions of locomotives such as the Class 40 and the 101.

Of course, that all could be a load of tripe and something I haven't considered in the slightest might pop up. There is also still the chance for a big three-route package to be in the works too if DTG really wants to open with a bang.

• Like Like x 1
  45. jolojonasgames

We do already know about the Thrandtrampe and Sherman Hill from DTG and Horshoe Curve from Skyhook for the releases after WCL and the 313.

Disregarding 3rd party releases, as those are not tied to DTG's release schedule (as demonstrated by all of them coming out in a bunch just after Rush Hour), we have the following upcoming releases for DTG:

• BR Class 313 for ECW
    • Sherman Hill
    • Tharandtrampe

That's not too much, looking at last year I'd guess these will all be released before the end of this year. That would give us the beginning of next year as the first possible release slot for steam, but we'll have to see, it might just aswell become next year's core update for all we know.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Lamplight

The reason why I was surprised about the art being mostly done is that expected steam to be next year‘s big release titled Spirit of Steam. The art comment did make it sound like it‘s closer than I expected. Even so, getting stuff like particle effects right will probably take a long time and if they haven‘t started with the route itself yet (except for the rolling stock), that‘s easily a few more months on top I‘d wager.

As for what route (as in which country) is coming, I think it depends on whether steam is next year‘s big release or not. If it is, then I‘d be surprised if it‘s not one route for each of the big three again (like TSW2 and Rush Hour after that). If it isn‘t, then we all know it‘s going to be a UK route.

• Like Like x 1
  47. dhekelian

I wish DTG would fully concentrate on fixes at the moment . Yes they have to make money and all that. But releasing DLC onto a buggy main game will only cause problems further down the road. Get the game stable and updated in all routes, even the old ones, GWE?, And then bring the DLC out.

For what it is worth they should bring out 'Locomotion N0,1' as the first Loco, you know it's right or 'Rocket'. Never happen I know, good to dream though eh?

48. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the first steam DLC may be a Preserved route, Possibly the Great Central Mainline from Loughborough Central to Leicester North, It's 8 miles long and is capable of running test trains upto 60mph. Though I'm probably so very wrong I couldn't be more wrong if I tried

49. jolojonasgames

Hey, that's the place they shot the Top Gear caravan train episode!

• Like Like x 1
  50. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I remember reading in the first rush hour blurb an intention to move away from large yearly updates to smaller more regular updates of the core, so you may be on to something there.
    However given how rush hour release has gone, I too would be surprised if anything happens too quickly.

It is however intriguing and enjoyable to get these more detailed snippets of dev news from time to time. Prefer that to articles to be honest.

• Like Like x 1