The Save Game Function In Tsw 2 - And Why It Can't Stay Like This...

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Ps4Player, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Ps4Player

Ps4Player Well-Known Member

Hello train enthusiasts, there is one thing that has haunted me at Train Sim World for a long time. It's like an open secret, everyone knows it but it's not talked about - the save game function just doesn't work.

What are, from my perspective, the main problems?
    • the game crashes after loading save games, although the timing can be quite random.
    • Tasks can no longer be completed or disappear completely.
    • Signals remain on red and trips cannot be completed (my personal favorite).
    This condition has existed since the first version of TSW on the Playstation and so far I have not been able to see any real improvement in this subject, although there are countless reports about this not working.

The save game function per se is totally justified. Sometimes you cannot complete trips in one go, for a variety of reasons. and it is good that there is such a function. But it drives me crazy if I can't finish a saved game. It is more like roulette whether a saved game can be ended or not. It feels like I've wasted my time, when a save game isn't finishable. I need this function especially for slow or very long routes such as the Peninsula Corridor or West Sommerset Railways. Just yesterday I loaded a game on the Boston line and drove about 40 minutes to be stopped at a red signal shortly before Boston that simply did not want to change. Seriously, i quit playing long routes / trips because of this.

Unfortunately, this problem is not found on any roadmap and does not get the attention it deserves in my opinion. My appeal is therefore to take this issue up, as it is also a game breaking bug.

What do you think about this matter?
    I haven't given up hope of a working save game function yet. Please DTG, bring us a save game function that works ...

• Like Like x 7
  2. tcmikaelsouza

tcmikaelsouza Well-Known Member

DTG JD can take a look please, it's a mega important function for us, which has problems

• Like Like x 6
  3. appleerwin

appleerwin Member

I agree. Saving is indeed very important.

• Like Like x 3
  4. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

In its current state saving does far more harm than good. Even saving and completing the run without ever reloading it is prone to bring on a total crash.

Needs to be addressed.

• Like Like x 3
  5. ukpetey

ukpetey Well-Known Member

I have to say that the save game function works flawlessly for me so far on PS5

I imagine I’ve just jinxed it!

• Like Like x 1
  6. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I only save half way through a long scenario just in case it crashes. I complete them in one session and thankfully the save system has saved me a few times when it works.

7. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

I concur with the previous posts, sometimes it just isn’t possible to run a Scenario or Service in one go, sometimes I have no choice but to save, and pick up where I left off at another time.

8. Ps4Player

I also play on PS5.
    Yes, sometimes the save function works as intended.
    As far as I observed, this is the case when every signal is already in order to reach your goal.
    If not, there is a high possibility that the dispatcher will get stuck at a red signal, with your own train or an AI train. Happened to me at sand patch grade, peninsula corridor, west Sommerset rail, Boston...

9. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

One of the main features that I would like to see is and auto save. There’s nothing worse that driving for an hour and when you’re 5 minutes away from finishing the service the game crashes and you have to start back at 20 minutes ago when you last saved

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ps4Player

Sure thing, I would appreciate this, too. But an autosave feature would be useless if the save game won't work as intended.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

As it is faulty it can sometimes work in our favour. There have been times when have been caught by an obvious bug and doing a save and reloading the save back in has got me past the bug.

Two that I can think of, one was a Sandpatch service and after a couple of hours right at the end a red light that would not change. Saved it, reloaded it, green light. Another, again right at the end of a scenario this time. I had to shut the cab down, that's all that was left, but one of the thing was remove the reverser. It would not budge, no matter what I did. Every possible angle, even thought about trying to get to it from the back of the TV lol. After an age of trying I saved, reloaded and all I had to do more or less was to look at the reverser and it came out. Very very rare that I use the save option for it's intended function, but often use for getting past bugs. Doesn't always work, but worth a try as a last resort.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Turbojugend

Turbojugend Well-Known Member

I agree the save function is super-important and needs to be reliable, which it currently is not. I'd imagine the demographic for this game skews a bit older and some of us don't always have 80-90 minutes to play a game uninterrupted.

• Like Like x 1
  13. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I rarely use the save function because of its reliability problems. What I tend to do, if I'm leaving the console for a while, is pause the game and then use the PS4's "rest mode". Provided you have the option in the PS4's settings configured to suspend running applications, it'll keep the current state of TSW in memory. Switch the PS4 on again and TSW pops up straight away allowing you to continue your journey.

Obviously if you switch the power off at the socket it'll loose everything!

I'm not sure if the PS5 has this function?

Saying that, a fully reliable save function would be desirable.

14. ukpetey

ukpetey Well-Known Member

It does, and is extensively used by me! I tend to use the save game function if I am wanting to test myself in some way, or am unsure of how what I intend to do will pan out: such as late braking to gain some time advantage back. A quick save means that any failure can be revisited with the opportunity to try a ‘plan B’ this time, without having to endure miles of driving to get to the same point.

15. tcmikaelsouza

tcmikaelsouza Well-Known Member

Good morning Friends, for me the function of saving the game is extremely useful, as I have a busy life and play in my spare time, so I often can't complete a route at once, ideally, in addition to correcting them, add the option of Check Points when loading passengers at each station, or at each certain footage in load, because I'm always saving to recover from a bug, but sometimes I'm caught by surprise

• Like Like x 1