Fix The Current Routes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Anonymous, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Understanding that DTG is a business and going on what Matt said the other day about the company have to release at least 3 routes a years to determine their profit margins and their positions etc.

But, the London Commuter is broken. Every time I drive a service from Brighton to Victoria, as soon as I get 3 miles out of Victoria the game instantly crashes.

The Southeast Coastway I have found lags in a few services

The passenger density on consoles I have found simply aren't worthy for the routes in which we play. Meaning that, London St Pancreas is one of the biggest terminals in London and should be a lot busier than the route in game actually is.

Now, I understand that those who play on the PC get the extra layers that DTG have put into TSW.

But, us console users are still purchasing items with an expectation that we are going to be able to play with enjoyment and I'm just not feeling that at this moment.

My point is Dovetail Games, is that us consoles users really need to see some improvement on such topics of which I've stated rather than releasing other DLC's that may have an impact on the RAM usage of our consoles, yet again, before you've managed to work out how to make the best you can out of the consoles RAM usuage at this time and with no guarantee as to when issues will be fixed or when layers can be added really lowers my/our confidence in DTG.

This is just my opinion from my experience with TSW2

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  2. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

DTG are fixing memory use, as well as many of the crashes. Who knows when it'll be finished, but they are working on it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Hello PaintBrushGuy,
    I believe that the fixtures have been added and raised up the roadmap to make it a more urgent issue in which they have to fix.

However, we've purchased these DLCs in hope they they are going to be working as demonstrated in the preview streams that Dovetail Games show us.

But on the release of these DLCs we find that it doesn't run as in the preview shown to us. Especially for us console users.

And may I say, that when we play these routes we still play with hopeful first impressions and a certain expectational experience. And neither the impression nor the experience was no where near as greatly received as the other Rush Hour routes.

My point is that with no guarantee as to when when these issues are going to be fixed, I and, I presume others, will not buy anymore Add ons until the current issues are fixed

What is your opinion PaintBrushGuy?

Thankyou for your comment it is very much appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  4. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

As Matt also told they depend on the continuation of frequent DLC releases. This means they need the DLC to work if they wanna sell new DLC. I don't think London Commuter was planned as a release where no extra DLC could be sold for. But that is what London Commuter now is. On the last gen you can only have two loco's on that route. Next gen is a tiny fraction of the player base so they need London Commuter to be able to have more than 2 trains to be able to sell extra loco's for the route. Fixing the problems they have now is essential to keep the business going. I'm confident they gonna fix this but not confident on the time it's gonna take

• Like Like x 1
  5. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Hello Antwerpcentral,
    This is precisely my point. Not knowing when these issues are going to be fixed and DTG not able to give a rough estimate as to which consoles and which issues are due to be fixed with a reasonable amount of time, doesn't allow us to have much confidence in the teams behind TSW.

And the more time it takes to fix issues, the less tempted we get to buy anymore DLCs.

People on PC have TS and of course people on PC can mod the game to their liking.

Consoles, I understand don't have a big of memory as PCs do.

Nether the less, Dovetail Games stated that they were going to try and make the console versions as enjoyable and as suited to the consoles as the PC standards are. They are looking at the RAM usage of the consoles and working on trying to make the best out of the RAM in which we have.

My point being, that for us on console who have paid for these DLCs have all had a bad experience, and may i say that the more DLCs we have installed the more crashes we experince on the London to Brighton route, and I just can't see people taking interest in other DLCs when we are likely to face the same encounters and problems aren't getting fixed in a reasonable time rate as they are more interested in other DLCs rather than improving and taking suggestions on what they could do with the routes we already have.

That way, once they have finished fixing the issues and implementing peoples suggestions such as the PIS systems and increasing the Passenger density on the already exisiting routes, by the time they are ready to start a new project they would already have a good idea on what the new routes features' need to intend.

Thankyou for your comment,
    Its very much appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  6. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

It's not that it can't handle more than two - it most likely could handle a 700 or something, considering it doesn't go to Victoria or Clapham. And even just the 387 and 377 - the route feels alive, even at victoria without the se layers, so I'd take a 700 DLC If it meant giving up on ever having the layers on Gen8.

Ok, a few things wrong here:
    - Passenger density on (Gen8, I'm not sure about gen9) consoles is a limitation of the Gen8 consoles, which is why they were/are limited to 20, with the exception of Rush Hour upgrades routes, which have 100 (the previous density on PC), that's a limitation, not a choice. 100 runs fine on Gen8, and that only came about with Rush Hour, so expect that to be rolled out (judging by East Coastway, BKL and SKA being upgraded to it).

- Layers are not PC Exclusive, on any route. Xbox Series X|S and PS5 both recieve layers as part of the next gen build.

Now, my points:
    - Memory optimisation is something that is being strongly worked on, and when the Rush Hour update came out, that threw everything in the bin, according to Matt.

- As I said at the top of this post, Brighton Mainline feels alive even without the layers. The only places it lacks layers are Gatwick - Reigate (166) and around Victoria (375/465). Even at that, they don't feel dead.

People have floated the idea of a "seperate timetable with reduced services with layers" - which, if they listen to what Matt said on the first preview stream for BML, they'd know it's hardly practical. It's the number of locos that were the problem with the layers, not the services.

Layers on Gen8 for BML - not going to happen. The route struggles in and around London as it is.

- On that note, Brighton's performance is mostly down to the fact you hardly go two minutes without another train passing, especially in London. Until optimisation (which is ongoing I believe, in terms of development) is sorted, that's the reality of the situation.
    Both are incredibly subjective statements.

I bought Rush Hour last Thursday at long last, and I've enjoyed 2/3 routes, Dresden, and Brighton.

Boston - I don't have a clue how to operate the locos.
    Dresden - Beautiful route, a couple of lag spikes here and there, but runs fairly smooth (even on the ICE Timetable, interestingly)
    Brighton Mainline - Good route and Very Enjoyable. Despite only having two locos, the route is very alive and plenty is going on. Excellent timetable as well.

I do experience plenty of crashes going in to Victoria, but not out, that just lags, however I know to expect it. I'm on an Xbox One S, which was hardly designed for this kind of thing.

Now, to go back to the original point of "Don't make more DLCs until you fix this."

Not practical. From having watched streams for the best part of the last 6 months, I've gathered one key piece of knowledge - that Dovetail's teams all do seperate things. Shocker.

The route building teams, and the loco building teams, and the art teams (stuff like that, I don't know the specifics) all do their thing, the Engineering team (who I'd imagine work on the optimisation) do other things.

So saying "don't make more dlc - fix the problem" would only make sense, if it was one team working on the game.

And also, Dovetail need money to pay staff and all that. It's business.
    Who's we? Not everyone is put off by it. If I like the look of a route - I'll buy it. If I don't? I'll pass.

-------------
    I do hope I don't come off as aggresive or anything here, not my intention, however there are some very bold claims here, and the line between "Fact" and "Opinion" seems to be very blurred in this thread.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Hello TrainSimPlayer,
    I too play on an Xbox One S, and feel a little disheartened by the experience I have had so far on the London to Brighton line.

Secondly, I say us, because there isn't only me that is a little disappointed. Yes, I agree DTG are very good at the visual effect and the timetables etc. But Dovetail Games care to know whether a route is working. Well the simpe answer is No, its isn't working as I encounter crashes every time I try and enter Victoria. And so. I hope DTG could see this so they would know what areas still need more work.

And obviously everyone at Dovetail are all working in different departments, but everyone that is working in these departments are all working on sounds, visuals the routes themselves. Timetables etc. All of which go towards a particular route and so my point is to fix the current routes, implement people's suggestions on the current routes such as PIS, better sounds, Traffic flow, passenger density etc. And once this is complete they would have a clear indication of where to head with the next DLC that they create.

On that note, the 100 passenger Density does not work on the Xbox One S as I have the Rush Hour London Commuter DLC and maybe get a 10-12 passenger density

The bugs that need fixing is factual information as there have been many more players, fanatics having the same issues.

The work on PIS, Passenger Density is just my opinion as I don't believe it is large enough for the routes we have compared to how busy these routes are in the real world. And yes I understand, it is a game, but it is a simulation that is suppose to reflect reality

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  8. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

For the fact i play london commuter on q 12 year old pc, its running with no crashes, no lags or other problems.

Its interessting how many players have different problems on that route.
    Im sure right now the saving system could cause troubles, but i never save anyway.

9. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

No, they do not. The core team, or the engineering team - whichever would do memory optimisation - don't build routes. They work on Core and Gameplay issues, and work on improving the experience. This applies to the game as a whole, not singular routes. So these are completely seperated, there isn't much - if any - overlap.

Brighton Mainline's Rush Hour passenger levels are disabled for (I think) memory reasons. Not a case of doesn't work, it's not enabled.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Hello TrainSimPlayer,
    My point was that TSW2 isn't enjoyable for some of us at the moment without going off topic and into depth about DTG.

When we come home from work, we just like to sit and play and enjoyable game of TSW but with the bugs and crashes takes all the enjoyment out of it.

I'm not by any means a train fanatic. I just play different games to see what they are all about, but these are just some issues I would have expected in a simulation game.

I do have hope in DTG if they are going to fix these issues and implement the communities suggestions into them but I'm more of a Rockstar Games fan myself

Thankyou for your comment its very much appreciated

11. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

Btw I go as paintbrushguy, keep it simple.
    They haven’t provided dates because they don’t have a crystal ball to tell them when the patches will release. I’m not defending DTG, I just think we should be reasonable when criticising them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. First capital connect

First capital connect Well-Known Member

I understand what you are saying but look at GTA for example only because you mentioned rockstar
    Look at the amount of fixes are needed for the game especially on online missions and the amount if times I've seen cars spawn from the air is not good but people are still pleased with it because its enjoyable
    Same thing with TSW Brighton mainline
    No rush hour density, no layers only 2 locos and lags and crashes but the route is still enjoyable because of the scenery, the journey the impressive timetable, the reworked sounds of the 377 and new sounds on the 387
    The stations look pretty good I didn't think victoria would look so good
    There's a lot that at ways the cons
    There are a lot of fixes that are needed but there could be more
    And to be fair they do release a lot of stuff
    And they only really started working on fixes again because it was all hands in deck for rush hour release
    Please don't think I'm being negative or aggressive when I say this

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Hello,
    I do believe I referred to you as PaintBrushGuy. I apologise for any offence caused if I didn't.

And I understand that DTG can not give an exact date but perhaps a rough estimate as to when these patches would be fixed.

And although it may seem as though I criticized Dovetail Games, understand that was never my intention although it may seem that way. I was merely pointing out errors and on how they could perhaps improve our gaming/simulation experience and how they could learn as they mean to go on.

Please accept my sincerest apology if it may have seemed as though I was pulling Dovetail Games down.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Hello First Capital Connect,
    I was merely pointing out where DTG could perhaps improve on their works. I am very appreciative of how good they have already made the world of TSW as I couldn't bare to think of how much hard work goes in to producing a game.

As for Rockstar games, I personally have not witness anything of such sorts. However, similar to DTG they do release patch updates to clean up what may not be as they like. But personally, I've never had any trouble with Rockstar games playing from the first original Xbox to the current gen consoles now.

I don't understand this whole concept of RAM usuage and such like. But, I don't understand as to why Rockstar games have such a massive game working on consoles smoothly and enjoyable to play and DTG are struggling with 1 route on the consoles and aren't able to make this work smoothly.

I would appreciate if anyone could explain this to me as I don't really understand the ins and outs of computers.

Thankyou for your comment First Capital Connect it is very much appreciated.

15. First capital connect

Im not expert in this field but I think it's due to graphics textures and what ai does
    For example a train in TSW will work a service while working that service it has to stop open doors work lights and move
    Along with that train actually coming back
    A good example is on Brighton mainline route
    A 387 will work up and down to and from London never disappearing you could see it multiple times you could stop for 2 minutes then catch up to the exact same train with the same passengers and what not
    While in GTA cars and vehicles disappear and then reload somewhere different
    You could follow a car round the whole of the gta map but once you stop for 2 minutes then go to find it you can't because it leaves the game
    Another example is when your getting chased by a police car after a while you will notice that random ones spawn in from your left and right
    Or if you walk around a police station there would be no cars there then you walk up to the curb and turn around there might be a hole load of cars
    Where as in TSW you could walk on the other side of the platform and come back and the same passengers are there unless a train has picked them up

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. First capital connect

So think of it like a plastic bottle
    TSWs bottle gets filled with water unitl the tip top
    Then you have to drink it for the water to go
    But with games like GTA there are little holes in the bottle where the water can drip out without being noticed
    Weird analogy I know but it's the only thing I could think of:D
    But take what I am saying with a cup of salt as I don't know much about graphics but know enough to give you a page worth of writing

• Like Like x 1
  17. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Hello First Capital Connect,
    Thankyou so much, it makes more sense now Thankyou.

I never been one for computers, I'm terrible with them, I'm only 20 and get so irritated with them

But Thankyou your comment is much appreciated