PC Latest Sale

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nwp1, Oct 27, 2021.

1. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Steam Halloween Sale 2021
    begins on October 28, 2021 and ends on November 1, 2021.

Starts tomorrow evening at 6pm Confirmed

Might buy the LGV and Cane Creek if the price is right.

A new TSW2 release of the 313 will be available on sale from tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Nice. Might add one or both of my missing German routes.

3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I might pick up SEHS and the 465 just to fill in the traffic on Brighton Mainline, if the discount is right.

4. OldVern

Not long now...

Got to finish up the last logging mission in Alaska (nearly 100 percented Michigan + Alaska, yay!) then I'll head over to see what's cooking.

5. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

Mite pick up tees valley or west Somerset anyone able to give any advice on which one is best to get?

6. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer Tees Valley simply due to the fact you can go at more than 25mph and there's a nice variety in the services. The two DLCs for it, the 31 and the 20, are very nice.

• Like Like x 3
  7. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Steam’s Halloween Sale has now begun.

Happy Shopping everyone.

8. solicitr

Tees Valley is a very nice route if you like freight- or the quirky Class 101. Something of a quasi network, not just A-B. And some great loco DLCs as well, the 20 and 31.

• Like Like x 2
  9. solicitr

Not yet in the eastern US.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

West Somerset does look phenomenal, Adam's team recently freshened it up and it is a very good heritage railway experience. But with being a heritage railway comes the short length and very low 25mph speed limit. It is definitely good at what it does, just be sure what it does is something you will enjoy.

TVL is quirky in its own way, but longer and with more ordinary passenger and freight operations. End-to-end passenger journeys take a decent amount of time in the class 101, you definitely feel like you've run a full service, and pound for pound I'd say you get more potential from TVL (unless you are especially fond of heritage railways). The scenery in some places leaves a lot to be desired though, but it is difficult to capture that dingy 80s desolation in a mostly flat environment. The other downside is that in spite of the volume of marshalling yards and the brief appearance of the ECML, there's very little in the way of AI which leaves the line feeling quite a lonely route (I've been able to do some interesting stuff in the scenario planner though). With all that said about TVL, it is itself due a freshen up by Adam's team, so it'll at least see some improvements in the near future, whereas West Somerset is moreorless done with for now.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  11. OldVern

At the moment looks like none of the DLC is actually in the sale.
    Will check back later.

12. redtrainz

redtrainz Active Member

The sale has been on for 12 minutes, apparently. The base game is slightly discounted, but I don't see a discount for any DLCs (yet?)

13. Clumsy Pacer

Yeah it has stuff in the discount tab, but nothing actually showing as being discounted
    upload_2021-10-28_18-17-4.png

EDIT: It's the same for Euro Truck, TS1 and Cities Skylines, so looks like Steam's being a bit slow. Maybe give it an hour or two.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  14. redtrainz

redtrainz Active Member

Thanks for running this test.

15. OldVern

I completely exited Steam and reloaded discounts now showing.
    Hamburg to Lubeck only 20% off :( will leave that for now.
    Rapid Transit 50% off :).

16. LodeStar

LodeStar Active Member

Would've gotten the Canadian one...but strangely enough that one is just 25%...
    Cane Creek and Isle of Wight are on my wishlist aswell, but still just 20%...

I think I'll wait for the Christmas sale...to complete my collection

17. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I looked through and there was only one German route of interest. One of the Rhein Ruhr. Having owned it on Xbox I can’t warrant it. I refuse to entertain anything rivet and cane creek looks like an entrance to a coma with its miles of single track.

West Somerset is a little intriguing but not at that price. I don’t spend enough time on East Coastway to warrant the 313 and for what it adds to Brighton I’ll hang fire on that.
    Unfortunately this looks like a pass for me

Arguably this sounds ungrateful but there’s nothing I crave enough, even if it’s only £20

18. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

FWIW, Sam just streamed one of the Tees Valley passenger services end to end on Tuesday, for those who are curious about it. As a bonus, the stream chat was refreshingly free of complaints, and even had a special guest appearance for extra comedy.

19. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Discounts are disappointing low.No reason to buy anything.

• Like Like x 8
  20. Jon from Rhode Island

Jon from Rhode Island Well-Known Member

Just got Ruhr Sieg Nord for 50% off. Very much looking forward to playing that.

• Like Like x 2
  21. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

People had nowhere to go in the lockdown so there was no need to actually make good discounts anymore as they will buy anyway since they need to entertain themselves somehow. Last year's Black Friday and Christmas sales regardless of the platform were a bad joke and this year it is expected to be the same or even worse despite restrictions easing up a lot.

Steam was full of discounts usually. Now there are considerably fewer titles participating in the campaign.

Peninsula corridor and the Baby bullet for example had as much as 55-60% discount and the main game as well. Not anymore.

22. redtrainz

redtrainz Active Member

I just fulfilled my dream: I got the DB BR 101 - and it's everything they say it is.
    DRA 101 on a snowy night is amazing.

• Like Like x 3
  23. solicitr

Live for me now, but the discounts are mostly underwhelming. I still might get SEHS in the future, but at more than just 20% off.

24. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. Most dlc have been at a better discount before, so why pick them up now. Also interesting how LGV did not drop below 20€ once in its one year of existence, considering it has the least amount of variety in gameplay and rolling stock.
    Seems an awful lot like sale % depends on the steam reviews, routes with mediocre reviews have seen 30% discounts rather soon even after release.

25. OldVern

I may pencil the DB 101 in for the next sale, then.
    As noted the discounts are not great on the items which are included so only picked up Rapid Transit. Hopefully the Thanksgiving and Xmas sales will produce something better.

26. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I agree, very poor discounts. Some items have been a lot lower than now. Steam’s Black Friday sale starts November 24th less than four weeks to wait.

• Like Like x 4
  27. fatnslo#7264

fatnslo#7264 Member

Was looking to buy Cane Creek, but with a review score of 'Mostly negative' 20% is not enough off so I will pass.

28. 1003523721

1003523721 Member

I was about to purchase the mp36h-3c, but the poor discount just get me away

• Like Like x 1
  29. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

The Northern Trans Pennnine and Long Island Rail Road at 60% off are a good deal. Both purchased on day one at full price for Xbox One X (2 or 3 years ago). With a 60% discount, I also re-purchase them for the PC without feeling like a perfect idiot for paying twice for the same product.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

The only thing that really interests me is the DB BR101, but I think I'll wait for a more discounted price.

31. solicitr

True enough, but they are bundled along with Main-Spessart and Great Western in TSW2020 which has been deeply discounted often in the past,

32. Clumsy Pacer

TSW2020 is 30% off. Deluxe edition is 25% off.

33. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I do the same re both PC and xBox.

34. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Remember the Halloween sale ends tomorrow but Steam’s Black Friday sale begins soon on November 24th.

35. orb

orb Well-Known Member

The next seasonal sale should be starting on 24 November (i.e. autumn sale). I think TSW2 DLCs may get some higher discounts then than on the Halloween sale and you won't need to wait 2 months.

You should consider looking at both the autumn and winter sales, as one DLC may get some higher discount on the former than the latter and another DLC the other way round.

Anyway, the discounts for non-preserved collection DLCs were indeed disappointing.

36. Clumsy Pacer

DTG Store has its own sale on right now - light discounts on a limited selection TSW stuff. Finishes next tuesday (23rd November)
    https://store.dovetailgames.com/uk/tsw2addons (click advanced filters, then check the 'sale' box). The heavy hitters in discount terms are the TS1 things.

37. orb

orb Well-Known Member

I think we may see similar discounts on Steam starting from 24 November (from the Halloween sale analogy that happened a week earlier on DTG Store than on Steam).

38. kurtosizm

kurtosizm Well-Known Member

The DTG Store sale is nice, but what about users who play the game on Epic? I can only buy a Steam code... :|

• Like Like x 2
  39. OldVern

It's a very stingy sale, considering the likely discount players will get if they hold their nerve for another week or so and wait for the first of the Steam sales. Heck, Cane Creek doesn't even have a discount on it.

40. OldVern

Bit of a bump, but when do we reckon the next Steam sale will be? Surprisingly nothing on offer over Easter but then we did have the two previous event type campaigns. The current Flash sale on the DTG store, so far as I can see, offering nothing for TSW.

41. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

There is a Steam Spring Golden Week Sale
    beginning April 29th to May 5th.
    Old Vern, I cannot confirm whether there will be Train Simulation content. Unusual for a steam sale to begin on a Friday though. There is another Steam sale at the end of May which begins on a Monday!!!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

Unofficial info, which turns out to be very accurate, can be found here for both Steam and Epic upcoming sales campaigns.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  43. OldVern

No May sale so my money has gone to Run 8 Studios instead, added the Florida A Line and Waycross to my collection. That is money which could have in DTG’s back pocket if they had discounted the back catalogue. And now I’m exploring the South East routes in R8 that’s less time spent in TSW being tempted to buy something else.

• Like Like x 1
  44. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Run 8 has some interesting American stuff, have they got a sale on, as not showing on their website? Never ventured there so what do you think of Run 8 old vern?

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  45. OldVern

I don’t think they have ever had a sale, TBH, but I’ve been wanting to complete my route collection for some time.

I quite like Run 8, you just have to get past the rather MSTSish graphics and the quirky keyboard layout. It is also more accessible since V3 introduced the AI Despatcher aka Otto. Unlike TSW or even TSC, the despatcher actually does quite a good job, it has to be dynamic as you can spawn new trains on to the network at any time. The biggest difference to the other sims is that Run 8 is more like Trainz when it comes to what you do. There are no structured scenarios or activities per se and it doesn’t do timetabled passenger movements (yet). What you can do is load up a preset session with trains ready in various locations. Some of these will be block movements, others will be manifests for breaking down into locals which then serve various industries. The industry spurs will also have cars waiting to be picked up back to the sorting yard and made up into various road trains. The western route features two working hump yards, West Colton and Barstow which you can either work yourself or set the AI going. I believe Waycross on the Florida network is also a hump facility.

However if you just want to chill and drive, you can spawn in a train at the extreme end, if you own all the sub routes something like 500 miles awaits you from Seligman to Fresno via Tehachapi and Bakersfield, or you can turn south at Barstow and head south over Cajon into LA. Not sure how long the conjoined Florida routes are, in the region of about 200 miles I think.

• Like Like x 1
  46. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

OV, is this a separate game or to compliment TSW2?

47. OldVern

I jump around between Run 8 and TSW/TSC plus a couple of other non railway games as takes my fancy.

Sometimes I like the structure that a TSW service run or similar brings, whereas in Run 8 I'm more of a free agent.

Both sims could learn something from each other - R8 definitely needs a graphics facelift and some sort of scenario/timetable editor. TSW particularly the American routes could benefit from the industry mini game in R8 and most important, a planned phased release of routes which merge seamlessly together to give a bigger world.

But that's getting a bit OT for the sales thread and probably worth a discussion on its own.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Just want to chime in and say I've also been playing a bit of Run 8 lately. It has a lot of quirks and the process of buying and installing content can be clunky, but it does have a lot of pros when it comes to simulating US Freight operations, including many of the points made above.

One of my favorite things is the flexibility to not only automate certain tasks like dispatching, MU/DPU setup, etc, but also switch back to manual control at any time. AI Train blocking your path? Delete it with a click of a button if you want!

Finally got all the SoCal subs and think i'm gonna bulk up my rolling stock before I get into Florida or New York.

Totally agree with OldVern that R8 and TSW can learn lessons from each other.

I've only been playing since the v3 update and only play single-player, fwiw.

• Like Like x 1
  49. OldVern

As I said, TSW could take a few lessons. Came across a tangle on the A-Line last night caused by one of the preplaced consists hanging out of the power station loop blocking the main line. Deleted it, then had a bit of fun watching the DS board and Otto get to work sorting out the backed up trains - on a single line with passing loops - including my train.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Craigyboy81

Craigyboy81 Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1