Tsw 2...

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by northwestcreation, Oct 28, 2021.

?
  1. No

13.5%
  2. Yes

86.5%
  3. Wait

4.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. northwestcreation

northwestcreation New Member

I want to update from train sim really badly and i thought the original TSW was going to replace it. I have looked at TSW 2 but im unsure if it would be for me. I prefer frieght railroading and it seems the TSW 2 has more passenger content. On the other hand the hand loco painting feature definantly is a plus, but correct me if im wrong there is no route building for TSW wich is a activity that i love to do in railworks. I like devoloping models and content almost more than i do running the trains. The next delima i have is the very limited rolling stock for TSW 2, i like varitey but there seems to be very little in the way of U.S.A content for the game. I really do want to update to a newer train simulator, and i like the way TSW 2 looks and preforms but im still unsure espesially after buying TSW then haveing it get abandoned and most of the dlc from it being incompatable. What is your opinion?

2. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

How is most of the DLC incompatible? Other than NEC and the GP40-2, all of the TSW2020 DLC was brought over to TSW2.

As to your query, Sherman Hill and the Horseshoe Curve are on their way to TSW2, so a little more US freight variety is coming. If you do enjoy creating models and content more than actually driving trains, maybe TS is more your cup of tea. In the future, a planned update to both the livery editor and scenario planner might enable you to do more with those, but you should work under the assumption that route/model building will never come to TSW. Considering the relatively low price of the TSW2 base package, you could also just bite the bullet and try it out for yourself, see if you like it.

3. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Why not play both games? Buying TSW2 is not an " update ", it's a very different game. You can continue to create content in TS and, for a change of pace, play a service in TSW or paint a train.
    A number of the US routes in TSW ( Clinchfield, Penn Corridor and the upcoming Sherman Hill and Horseshoe Curve ) are close cousins of the same routes in TS, but you play them a little differently.
    Don't know what you mean by " abandoned " and " incompatible ". Neither TS nor TSW is going away, but they'll never have any shared content.

• Like Like x 1
  4. northwestcreation

I did not realize they moved that much over to TSW 2, however i really liked the gp40-2 and the centerbeams with it. As for the whole "update" refrence i am talking about moveing away from Train sim / Railworks. The game is no longer getting updates and with new technology comeing out every year my fear is that it will quickly become incompatable. Then we come to the current issues with railworks such as reliability wich is not as bad as it used to be but is not as good as modern game engines. Finally railworks still looks good, but is starting to show its age. Especially compared to TSW or even the new Trainz (wich i don't like very much). I would even be willing to pay for the extra program to build routes and make content for TSW 2.

• Like Like x 1
  5. C424

C424 New Member

Okay i suggest you get it, i had the same fear about railworks no longer being supported and feel that TSW2 i a good game. I do agree that it would be nice to have a route editor like railworks (especially combined with the paint editor) but as stated above the likely hood is very low for that. There is more U.S. content on the way but i do wish that there would be more rolling stock variety however when your playing the game you don't really notice. Really its hard to say wheather its a good fit for you or not, TSW2 is still growing and changing so even if you get it and its not something you enjoy right away the devs might release an update or DLC that could change that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

I voted "No" because I think TSW doesn't offer what you are looking for.

You say you enjoy creating more than driving. Train Sim World has very limited options for your own content. There is a livery editor, where you can repaint the rolling stock you own that has been upgraded to use the system (so not everything... yet) and there is a very limited scenario editor that lets you do a quick A to B run along predefined paths with some limited AI also using predetermined paths. There is a Scenario Planner 2.0 on the roadmap, but that is still some time away.

That's it. TSW is not about the creation, but more about experiencing the railways themself. There is a timetable mode where you can spawn in any train or on foot at multiple locations and drive the trains, ride as a passenger, explore the routes,...
    In this way, TSW is more involved than Train Simulator.

There is some US freight content, but nowhere near as much. Keep in mind the amount of content will increase and there are currently 2 new routes in development that could release in 2021 or early 2022 (rough estimate, the release date is not officially given anywhere).
    New content is trickling in, both from DTG and 3rd party developers (Rivet, Skyhook, TSG)

But content editor for routes and trains is not going to happen. At least not anytime soon.
    There are some mods that change or add some aspects.

So while the railway "experience" of TSW is very good and immersive, especially when you mod away the sound on objective completion and turn off the HUD, it's not a complete replacement for Train Simulator.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

No, TSW2 still doesn't really offer up the freedom or variety that TS provides as far as NA freight is concerned. With 3rd party developers like High Iron Simulations, DTM, and Smokebox still developing developing content for TS, its best to just stick to TS for the time being.

• Like Like x 1
  8. northwestcreation

Mabey it would be smart to not exclude the idea of purchasing but wait to see what the next development and dlc releases then make the decision. For me it's not just a issue of $$$ its a principle of i don't want a game that im not going to enjoy, and not just enjoy some small part but rather the whole game. I will say that the information i am gathering is great and i do encourage more.

9. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Although I'm not really familiair with the series, if content creation is what you're looking for, the Trainz Railroad Simulator series seem to excel at its editing tools and user created content.

10. northwestcreation

I own trainz and the issue i have with it it the editor od not that good with fine details, to me it feels... cheap and dumbed down. However i will admit that i didn't spend to much time with the editor.

11. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

If you love driving trains, TSW2 gives you a better experience that TSW2020 and TS. Most you your TSW20202 content will come with you for free. For TSW2 a fair number of new features were developed and more will come. So wait for a good discount and jump on board. If you never play TSW2020, it is unlikely you will ever pay TSW2. In that case, do not waste your money.

12. Teflon490

Teflon490 Active Member

...and some were taken away :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

How hard will it be to create a program to convert TS routes to TSW. Yeah the technology isn't there just yet but within 5 years I can see it happen. True it won't be up to TSW standards graphically but it will still be playable

14. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

Pretty hard, since they're on completely different engines. Everything would have to be built from the ground up.

15. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Like?

16. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I feel like that is subjective, there is alot of things that TS does better vs TSW2, especially for US Freight. SS's Ac4400cw is more realistic to drive vs TSW2 AC44, not to mention train lengths on TS are of a more realistic size than what TSW2 currently offers. Also thru the workshop and Scenerios, TS provides a better experience for local freight operations vs TSW2, which most services are of an A-B type run.

17. Teflon490

Teflon490 Active Member

Sound?

18. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Yes I am aware but AI building the new engine based the old one will be possible in the next few years.

19. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Trainz has a very good route editor provided you supplement it with the Transdem utility to get real world terrain data and mapping to work with. But the driving experience remains rubbish, cloned cabs and sounds from 2003, no structured timetable not even a despatcher or signaller to set the route for you. And N3V track record with their updates and patches make DTG look great!

• Like Like x 1
  20. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

That would be amazing, we can only hope for now.

21. B3N

B3N Active Member

TSW2 is on the Halloween sale, so you might want to get it (sorry if this has already been mentioned)

22. northwestcreation

I would almost definantly get it on sale, after all that leaves me with more money for DLC.

This is why i am hesitant to invest in TSW2 and invest a bunch of money in DLC.

The gradient and track tools are more what i don't like in its editor. But im right there with you for the driving aspect it is horraible.

23. OldVern

Yes track laying in Trainz lacks some refinement I admit and it’s only comparatively recently they introduced procedural track that draws with frogs and checkrails. However it is still difficult if not impossible to do complex track such as slips or diamonds or even curved points.

24. northwestcreation

I probrobly would have given trainz a better chance if it didn't reqiure such high end hardware to run it on a good graphics setting. I was surprised when i found that out cause i previously thought TS was power hungry. But no all the procedural plants and new graphics feature they have been adding to it are not well optimized and need a lot of pwer to run smoothly.

25. OldVern

Yes it pushes the hardware a lot. I've uninstalled Trainz for the time being but running the DTG TS (Railworks) Editor admittedly on low settings is not causing my fans to go into meltdown unlike Surveyor. Even a model sized route in Surveyor cooks the hardware. Coming back to the track laying it is ironic that the type of thing Trainz is good for - a virtual model railway - is compromised by the track laying limitations. A model railway is exactly where those slips, diamonds and curved points are essential.

• Like Like x 1