London Euston - Brimingham New Street

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by notexotic, Oct 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. notexotic

notexotic New Member

Can we get a WCML route from Euston to Birmingham

• Like Like x 4
  2. Southern Driver

Southern Driver Active Member

Nope, too long.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Euston to Milton Keynes at a push, maybe.

4. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

No, you’re not gonna get much interest on here. It’s only 113 miles. Anything under 200 miles is a no.

• Like Like x 3
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Try searching as this has been requested numerous times. However as stated, with current routes in TSW topping out at around 50 miles or 80 km you could get London to MKC or maybe Coventry to Brum/Wolves as part of a West Midlands network. Just don’t let Rivet loose anywhere near it…

• Like Like x 3
  6. Southern Driver

Southern Driver Active Member

If you want to live in the real world where things are realistic you’ll be looking at St Pancras to Bedford or Kings X to Peterborough as the track layouts are much much easier to model. Euston is very complicated. St Pancras to Bedford would be ideal as a ‘period’ route. Plenty of BR Blue perhaps.

• Like Like x 2
  7. akshay26

akshay26 Active Member

Why only to Milton Keynes, that would make the route to short. Birmingham New St or Rugby are the only two good destinations for the route.

8. OldVern

Because TSW at present for all sorts of reasons only supports routes up to around 50 miles in length. Milton Keynes is a logical point to stop as many trains terminate there.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

What Vern said, plus I'm not even sure a 113 mile express route would be that fun - try the Railworks route to see what I mean, where the stopping services to MK are a lot more engaging than the full-length runs, imo.

• Like Like x 2
  10. OldVern

Agree. I drove the RW route once, in the Down direction and that was it. Might have been more interesting if I set up a loco hauled run with the 86 or 87 but in the end CBA!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Rybnicki

Don't want to be too harsh on it cos Dovetail did a nice job of providing route info on the grounding run, but yes, it's not the most beautiful part of the world and I can't think of any truly iconic rolling stock on the line (Sorry, Pendolino fans). I'm not saying no to the route, but there's 100 bits of British railways I'd drive over this.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

I have a question. At this stage, does DTG stipulate that third-party manufacturers cannot make routes longer than 60 miles? Still no regulations?
    If a third party does this line, it will undoubtedly break the existing DTG monorail length in the Simulated World Train in terms of mileage. In this way, will DTG doubt the production level of its divisions?
    Ha ha! This is irresponsible speculation.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rybnicki

I think the issue is not an arbitrary one, but more that one or more of the consoles it's available on won't be able to handle longer routes. Whether that means we don't have anything over that until TSW3 I'm not sure.

14. Factor41

I don't think there's a physical limit on route length as such. The maps are loaded in as the tiles are needed so theoretically, a full Euston to Birmingham route would be possible. The issue is that the further you make the route, the more you have to build and the longer and more expensive that process becomes. People aren't going to settle for lower quality scenery just because there's more of it.

Then you need to set up timetables, which become progressively more complicated with every extra branch line you cross that brings more trains into the route area. If you have a 100 mile route across a desert with 1-2 trains an hour, this is simple, but imagine how much traffic the BHM-EUS line actually contains during the length of your journey, which all has to be controlled and managed by the game. Joe spent months setting up the timetable for BML - imagine if that route had been two or three times as long.

Finally you have to consider what time people are willing or able to commit to the game in one run. I suspect that services of an hour or more get considerably less play than those in the 30-45 minute band. DTG will know where this 'sweet spot' for player interaction lies.

In the end, it just comes down to how much resource DTG or a third party can physically throw at building a route for a given return, and history tells us where that limit generally lies.

• Like Like x 5
  15. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Matt has said many times there is NO physical route length limitation, but there are limits as to how complex a route can be in that the signalling and routing is written in such a way as the whole network is in memory the whole time, so even a signal in Birmingham would be being managed by the route when you're leaving Euston.
    I can think of many ways of doing this differently, but I don't work for DTG so...

The route map does load in tiles, the scenery loads as you get closer to it, the shadows etc you can see being drawn as you drive, so the length of the route itself isn't an arbitrary thing. What does seem to be arbitrary for DTG is how much time they allow their developers, artists and engineers to work on a route and the various assets that route has. If you want to see what I mean go to the point on BML about 3 miles north of Brighton where the A23 is on the immediate East of the line. No hard shoulder, verge, barriers, white lines...

Yes third parties may well have longer to develop sheer length, but you also have to remember that the people most skilled with the tools DTG use are DTG employees, the base UE editor has been tweaked and added to quite a lot I would imagine, so that makes it harder for 3rd parties to compare

• Like Like x 2
  16. OldVern

The other issue at this stage, is that if you only have 45 to 60 minutes at a time to play the game, you are relying on the one solitary save across the whole programme which as we know often fails to reload correctly. With the possible exception of Clinchfield, it is generally possible on the existing routes to do a complete run in one setting.

17. 59321747

DTG can reduce the timetable and the number of trains on the route, and make the route longer.

18. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

And someone was going to use the consoles...

How many times must it be said that TSW loads in tiles - and how often must it be said that the reason route lengths are limited is down to the cost of development- not consoles.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Rybnicki

Clearly one more time at least, eh! After all, two people already corrected me on this!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Factor41

And you'd be happy with reduced detail in all the scenery too, I presume? Honestly, I'd rather have a busy, detailed, short route than a barren, deserted, long one.

• Like Like x 3
  21. 59321747

You are talking about the city passenger transport route, all the requirements are real and delicate! ! If the route is really longer, then DTG will give priority to the US cargo route. The best route options are the Montana Plateau and the Arizona Desert. In this way, the scene does not have too many urban buildings, and it should be faster. At this point, I believe that the Xie Ma mountain line should be launched soon!

22. Factor41

So you can spend hours hauling freight across a featureless desert landscape? There are two US freight routes on the roadmap already and I doubt I'll be buying either of them; if they announced that they were going to be longer and less interesting, I'm not sure that would change. :)

• Like Like x 1
  23. ARuscoe

North of England routes are fairly empty and long between stops. I went to York and back from London last week and North of Peterborough there was one station every 30-40 miles or so, only gentle rolling countryside. OK it may not be 100 miles between stops, but at 100 or 125mph it would be a bit different to rolling along in a freight train

• Like Like x 2
  24. 59321747

Are you sure that the desert has no special features? The city route is not exactly the same as reality.

25. 59321747

In fact, the hills, woods, and open fields make people very comfortable. I like them and I will press the 2 button to appreciate their beauty.

26. ARuscoe

Look at some of the feedback to the West Cornwall route and people might disagree with you. They don't like "open countryside", preferring there to be SOMETHING there rather than fairly barren openness... from memory of going upto Scotland the route aroudn the M6 North of Carlisle is almost a barren wasteland with steep hills and a bunch of moss and not much else

• Like Like x 1
  27. Factor41

I've driven across a fair old chunk of Arizona desert in a car and, while it may not be entirely featureless, it's not exactly a thrill a minute. And I suspect we were moving quicker and stopping more frequently than a freight train would. It might be nice as a novelty, but I'd question its replay value.

desert_road_-_arizona_1.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  28. 59321747

Nature can exist anywhere humans have not destroyed it. People who live in cities every day want to see green, not steel and concrete. Like English novels and historical castles!

29. 59321747

Hope there is such a route, TS particularly likes the Montana Highland route

30. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Are you trying to suggest train simulator 22 West Coast Main Line South Birmingham New Street to London Euston for TSW2 112 mi 180 km. If so it cannot be made by River Games since it's going to like the Swiss Alpine Arosa route and Isle of Wight.

31. e33ey80

e33ey80 Member

London Euston to North Wales on PlayStation 4 & 5

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  32. e33ey80

e33ey80 Member

Euston urostar to Paris, Brussels, Lille, the South of France on PS4 & 5 please

33. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Just PlayStation? Not Xbox, Steam, Epic?

Also, both routes are just far too long for TSW.

What did rivet have to do with this...

• Like Like x 1
  34. e33ey80

e33ey80 Member

About London Liverpool Street to Essex is that too long for PS4 and 5 and from London Liverpool Street to Southend only 1hr.30mile away on train

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  35. ARuscoe

There's no physical limit to route lengths on any platform

36. Factor41

London to Southend is only about 40 miles so should be easily achievable. London to Colchester is maybe 60ish, which is within the spec of existing routes. I don't know anything about those routes though.

As ARuscoe says, the only limit on route length is how long it would take them to build it and furnish it with a busy enough timetable; they keep saying they're becoming more efficient at route building so those lengths might start to grow or, as we've seen with a few routes, come with more branch lines.

• Like Like x 1
  37. akshay26

akshay26 Active Member

But not Avanti West Coast, they run through the station. We know we have 50 mile routes, but that is still not enough, but I can demand them

38. OldVern

I can demand my wife get me a Porsche for Christmas, doesn’t mean to say I’m going to get one! More like a clip round the ear…

• Like Like x 1
  39. ARuscoe

You're never ever (ever) going to get full intercity routes in TSW. If that's what you want you might as well uninstall it now

• Like Like x 2
  40. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

I’ll use the brevity you used in your post:
    no.

• Like Like x 1
  41. tardisgaming07

tardisgaming07 Well-Known Member

Can people please stop suggesting this? It's never going to happen.

• Like Like x 1
  42. johnmcglade30

johnmcglade30 Active Member

Can we get this route in tsw2

43. tardisgaming07

tardisgaming07 Well-Known Member

NO.