PC West Cornwall Local: Penzance - St. Austell & St Ives - The Definitive Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Oct 15, 2021.

1. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I don’t mind paying the full price as long as Rivet pay close attention to detail to the scenes around St. Ives, Penzance, Redruth and Truro and make the route look especially realistic and not like a tin pot model village. This route is a wonderful opportunity for Rivet to show the train simulator world that they are good and worth making realistic routes for the future.

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I would suggest not buying any route ever. There are ALWAYS details incorrect on every route.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I agree but not as much as the preview showed of this route. London Commuter and East Coastway both give you the feeling of reality when driving on the routes. As do most of the British routes.

Battersby Power Station looks far better than St. Michael Mount, Truro Cathedral and St. Ives Harbour. I just hope that Rivet have added more attention to detail when the route is finally finished.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Having seen the most recent developments I’m now interested in exploring the route in more detail.

I’m hoping now the route is now busier it will be better and some of the prior bits are tidied now

• Like Like x 1
  5. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Am I right in thinking there are still no HSTs on the route though? For me that's the immersion breaker as driving every single journey without seeing what was probably at the time the most common train around that area is still a deal breaker for me.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

No HSTs. If you own Northern TransPennine, you'll see 47s and Mk2s in their place.

• Like Like x 2
  7. WaveyDavey

Like I say then still a deal breaker for me. I'd rather see the odd HST from the correct era than a load of trains from a good 10 years or so earlier.

• Like Like x 2
  8. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

There are also no thameslink services at london commuter because the proper rolling stock doesnt exist in tsw2.

Hst on the west cornwall would be like a white painted 387 instead of the cl 700.

I for my self like the way they make no layers with fake rolling stock. Would be s waste of time.
    At one point we will get the hst fitted with valentia engines, so layers are gonna be possible on every route matches the time period.

9. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well the HST we have now wouldn't be prototypical there either. If HST ever comes for the route, it's going to be a separate add-on, you can't make a whole new train in just 2 weeks.

• Like Like x 2
  10. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

the only HST youd get would be 25-30 years out, so a toss up between a train 10 years too old or a train 25-30 years too new I think they went for the right decision personally

• Like Like x 6
  11. chieflongshin

I'm taking a simple and holistic view to this. We moaned about there not being enough trains. A quick and interim/permanent solution has been found (who knows).

We continue to moan.

I'm happy they listened and made it busier than it was. I never finish 300 services on a map anyhow.

• Like Like x 13
  12. redrev1917

Another thing thats just occurred to me is that FGW denied Rivet a license for whatever reason so I think there'd be legal issues if they then went ahead and used FGW liveried trains!!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Clumsy Pacer

Who said anything about the FGW livery?

14. ARuscoe

I think people are asking for a reskin of the current HST that could be plonked on the line. You know in a "if you squint a bit it looks kind of OK" sort of fashion

• Like Like x 1
  15. redrev1917

With the embossed FGW crest on the side? I can just imagine the uproar on the forums now if they released an IC executive or swallow liveried HST with a painted over crest :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. ARuscoe

Repainting would mean removing the logos and the matt paint effect, in essence go back to the wireframe and skin it again

• Like Like x 1
  17. redrev1917

its an embossed logo and Im sure its been said on a stream that its an integral part of the body not a decal (which would make sense seeing as its embossed)

18. WaveyDavey

Well THEY chose to model it in a period that they knew they wouldn't be able to use the existing HST model though didn't they..... They could have modelled it slightly later and had the 150/2 in the same GWR livery...... The same decision that means it's a period too late to use existing items from other add-ons like NTP or Diesel Legends.

A seemingly very strange decision whichever way you look at it that the period chosen was between the two periods that they could have used with existing items to bulk out the timetable.

• Like Like x 4
  19. WaveyDavey

Not an issue...... Otherwise how would this be able to be enabled by a simple mod? GdbhHCs.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  20. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I think the conclusion has to be drawn, the whole WCL project has been a catalogue of disasters, what with the extension to St Austell causing head scratching, the general quality of the route building and scenery then the 150 debacle, oh and no HST. As welcome as it is, the diesel classics layer is, IMHO, a last minute fudge to salvage something from the project and recoup some revenue for the man/woman hours put into building the thing.

• Like Like x 8
  21. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

As I understand it, they originally planned it to be modern but due to some kind of complication with licensing it wasn't possible.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It would also need new engine sounds, new physics and a rebuilt cab.

• Like Like x 1
  23. solicitr

The FGW Blue Class 43 is a different model from the GWR one; subtle differences, but they're there. And that model was left hidden in the game code because stripping it out at the last minute would have been too much work, and (as with all software changes) risked creating bugs. That's why it only takes a "simple mod" to unlock it: it's already there.

24. WaveyDavey

Yes i know it is but my point was that a model already existed that would fit this time scale or one slightly earlier and wouldn't need the GWR lettering removing from the bodyside..

• Like Like x 2
  25. solicitr

But does that model "fit" with the wrong engine (sounds and physics) and wrong cab?

26. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Damned if they do, damned if they don’t, damned if I know.

Fortunately whether I buy or not, has little to do with Hst and more to do with Cornwall’s reforestation.

27. ARuscoe

That wasn't the question. The question is "minimum amount of work to get something that looks right (or about right) for the period".
    As in something is better than nowt

• Like Like x 1
  28. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I am hopeful that the route building and scenery is vastly improved since they have had two weeks more to work on this.

29. ARuscoe

Nothing's been said about changes to either so I wouldn't put any money on it

30. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I wish the Diesel legends pack could be layered on in a separate timetable, I'm still holding back on buying it and West Cornwall would be slightly more era-appropriate for the stock featured. In hindsight Rivet should have made the route as a 70's era theme using the Diesel legends contents instead of it appearing on GWE. Although I suppose that was too soon before WCL was announced for it to be considered.

• Like Like x 2
  31. ARuscoe

In hindsight the West Cornwall pack should have two timetables, one for the newly released content and one for the old content based on the time it's valid for.
    We have the assets so a new timetable shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility. Maybe DTG can have a ganders at some point

32. flghttrainsm#6320

flghttrainsm#6320 Member

You know what's funny a freeware addon the class 150 for bve has better better sounds and physics so yep everyone has right to complain till these are right lol

33. OldVern

Yay! The Whitby line in TSW. Sorry, my bad couldn't resist!

• Like Like x 3
  34. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

If the process of swapping out stock on an identical separate timetable is as straightforward as it sounds, then I'd quite like that option as part of a future patch/update to the route should there be one.

• Like Like x 1
  35. chieflongshin

This is now live on Steam. Rivet, you have two hours from now to impress me.

• Like Like x 3
  36. OldVern

It seems to be very quiet in here... Though admittedly I won't be taking a look until after tea.

37. DeJaPa

DeJaPa Member

I’m liking it so far! Really extensive scenario’s you won’t be done in just a few minutes, haha. The only loco I’m missing is the class 52. Since you can drive it in Diesel legends from London to ‘Penzance’. For continuity sake I would’ve loved to be able to ‘continue on’ the journey.

not sure if it would be realistic. But other than that, would’ve loved it.

Yes I know I could use the ‘off the rails’ scenario planner. But still, would’ve loved to see it integrated into the time table.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  38. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Interested to watch the stream tonight, but if the sound isn’t properly corrected on the 150/2 I won’t be buying. I hope Jasper_Rivet can give some assurances tonight that the sound will be reworked to sound more like the actual AP sound as I do want to buy this route (once the PS5 DLC issue is fixed). I’m going to have less time to play TSW 2 from the end of the month (having changed jobs) so I’m not buying any TSW 2 DLC that falls short. I’d rather spend my limited free time on better quality TSW 2 DLC or other games.

• Like Like x 2
  39. Clumsy Pacer

That would be incredibly unrealistic outside of a railtour scenario. The 52s were withdrawn some 15 years before this route is set - mind, the 45s and 40s had also been withdrawn by the 90s and didn't venture that far south

40. Clumsy Pacer

I don't like to put words in people's mouths but don't hold your breath, even if assurances are given, until it's actually shown.

• Like Like x 1
  41. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

Played the route for a couple of hours. I go into this very short review as somebody who has never experienced a 150, or the line itself. I've learnt a lot from you guys on here and so the little knowledge I have has stemmed from that. My stream will be at the end of the review where I spoke on things as I saw them, and also muted myself for a long portion for you to hear the sounds and judge yourself.

The first thing I noticed was something that's become, unfortunately, a little too familiar. That's the issue with the lights. Tail lights and headlights will be on at the same time, not only on AI trains, but also your own before you adjust everything yourself. It was nice to see the 313 over on East Coastway realistically portray the lights situation, with a train on the platform only having tail lights on either side before you take control. I'm sure this is something that will be fixed rather quickly however. Secondly, and possibly the most disappointing, was the acceleration. We've known for a little while now that the physics are off, but it was still a bummer. During the introduction, I put the throttle into notch 1, and the train instantly started moving. I mentioned in the stream that it felt akin to a 377 emu. It was immersion breaking and I've never even sat in a 150 irl. Another thing I noticed was that speed reduction board ramps didn't trigger any in cab alarms, however there doesn't seem to be an AWS system in cab so I believe it's down to that. TPWS is active along with DSD. One thing that was noted in the preview streams was the lack of joint sounds. This section of the track (and I stand to be corrected) would've been solely jointed track, however I might as well have been riding on the BML. Except on the BML, you get sounds as you cross junctions. Not on here, another rather sizeable flaw.

Aside from these things which I've noticed (there is probably a handful more that you guys will be able to pick up), one thing to note is how quiet the timetable is. In reality, the 150s only ran half hourly, which is depicted in the timetable, and you feel the quietness very quickly. Even with NTP installed, not much changed. I only came across one 101 DMU during my run from Penzance to Truro, and back to Penzance, which ran through the morning rush hour. With regards to the scenery, Rivet have done a good job, especially with draw distance, which is a problem on Arosa Line. Plenty of trees (although I've seen complaints of too many) and general foliage seems acceptable. The beach isn't COMPLETELY devoid of life, you do see a few parasols and beach balls, but very, very few. All in all, compared to what they've released in the past, Rivet have done a decent job. It's not "great" by any stretch of the imagination, but a noticeable leap forward in their quality.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  42. jakeshortj#6259

jakeshortj#6259 New Member

It's ok, though I've got some *very* strange sounds coming from the 150 at certain points, that I don't quite know how to describe. It's like the motors become possessed for a few seconds..

• Like Like x 1
  43. DeJaPa

DeJaPa Member

And that’s my bad, my knowledge of British routes and stock is very limited.

44. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

Dont bother its a waste of money

• Like Like x 1
  45. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

My first hour and I have mixed feelings. I probably won’t refund it, but it’s not going to be a favourite either. The 150 sound don’t bother me too much, I’ll mostly use the 101 anyway. But the route just doesn’t feel that good or nice to play. I can’t put my finger on exactly why, I think a lot of it is to do with early morning lighting, this seems way out to me. Also the one thing I hate is trees popping in and drawing close to the train. I have never seen this so bad in any route. (Running on an I9/3080, so it really shouldn’t be too bad)

Positives are that the route is quite recognisable. The extra layers definitely improve it. For me it’s an adequate representation for a game.

Negatives are scenery drawing, 150 rev up missing, no preparation time on timetable.

This is probably the best Rivet DLC so far. It certainly beats Arosa by some margin. I wouldn’t go so far as leaving a negative review, but I wouldn’t make the effort to leave a positive one either. Good try, could be a lot better.

• Like Like x 3
  46. BlackSkyuk

BlackSkyuk Active Member

I'm getting a some lag and low fps on the St Ives branch, main line it fine at 60fps. Seem like you only get around 40 services as the Class 150 & 101 services are the same. Northern Trans-Pennine Class 40/47 serivce not showing for me, do I have to do anything to get them to show up?

• Like Like x 1
  47. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

Can somebody say how are the physics of the 150? I have read that the acceleration was very unrealistic. But maybe that was patched ?

• Like Like x 1
  48. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I think the services are just duplicated so you can do a run with one loco and it's automatically completed with another.
    Also, do you have the heavy freight pack installed for NTP? That might be why they aren't showing up for you.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. DeJaPa

DeJaPa Member

i’d love that idea!

• Like Like x 3
  50. BlackSkyuk

BlackSkyuk Active Member

Well this is poor to, can't even make a HST scenario from St Austell to Penzance as the platform is to short.

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 1