Train Sim World 2 - Roadmap 2nd November 2021

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Nov 2, 2021.

1. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

It's a litlle.. depressing..

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Welcome to "life", where anything with having will be slightly less good than you might want it to be (but generally acceptable overall)

• Like Like x 5
  3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Thing that suprised me is that there is still no new UK route on the roadmap? Are we going to have to wait for the Age Of Steam before we see a new UK route from DTG I wonder? Given that Sherman Hill & Tharandter Rampe: Dresden - Chemnitz where both added very quickly after Boston Sprinter & Nahverkehr Dresden respectively where released I was sort of hoping a new UK route would make the roadmap this time around.

• Like Like x 4
  4. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

As a steam fan through and through im incredibly excited to see what comes out!

Although I've definitely played around with the emus and diesels when I got the game and I've given them a chance and I like to think I've learnt something and got a newer appreciation for them!

So maybe just give a steam route a chance rather than already asking for split routes? Besides they can always add diesel layers into it depending on the routes etc we have plenty!

5. ARuscoe

BML and West Cornwall this week or within last few weeks, so not really surprising that the next route isn't up yet

• Like Like x 2
  6. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

As I said given the timescale between Dresden release and the Tharandter Rampe announcement (which would be the same timescale) it wouldnt have been that unexpected. When was the last time a road map didnt feature an in planning/production/upcoming UK route prior to BLM?

• Like Like x 3
  7. chacal#2181

Will not the steam route count as à UK route ? (if of course its à UK one..)

• Like Like x 1
  8. ARuscoe

Dunno, but they changed their RM process so that things aren't sitting on "in production" so long, and I don't think it such a bad thing to wait a while for new content. Always having shiny and new means old and busted stays busted...

• Like Like x 2
  9. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I'm quiet sure that a steam route offers some good layers. At least a UK route could do that because there is already historic rolling stock in the game which could be layered in very well.
    For germany it's a bit more complicated but the 155 could do it. The 143/112 also isn't very modern. But that's it.
    And for US, some freight layers are maybe possible from CCR?

10. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

CRR is a bit new to be layering for a Transition era route, as it is set around the 70s, where as a Transition era route would have to be set between the 30s and 50s.

The F7 would fit, but I doubt DTG will give us Clinchfield steam for TSW2, meaning another railroad would have to be chosen for it to be represented properly. The 50ft boxcar and reefer would be a bit out of place, since most US boxcars were still mostly 40ft. 100 ton hoppers are too big for the era, since most were still 55 ton hoppers at the time. The caboose would be the closest thing, but you would have to find another railroad that used a "Santa Fe" style Copula Caboose.

11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

OK, the previous post talked about CCR, but you're discussing CRR (Clinchfield?).
    Or?

12. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

couldn't have put it better myself

• Like Like x 2
  13. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I would assume they mean CRR as it is the only vintage US route for TSW2.

14. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Even if the post was talking about Cane Creek (what I'm assuming), chances of seeing steam on the branch is pretty much, not gonna happen. Since by the time that branch was made, all standard gauge steam from the Rio Grande would all be gone by then.

15. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

If the first US steam comes as a loco DLC or pack rather than a new route, Sherman Hill would be the most likely (not Horseshoe, I think, because it's 3rd party and to my knowledge DTG have never done their own loco DLC for a non-DTG route).

Although there would be some anachronism involved, it wouldn't be as jarring as, say, Diesel Legends, because the countryside in Wyoming just hasn't changed all that much.

16. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Hopefully new dostos . Dtg should’ve learnt from HBL that new dostos are a must

• Like Like x 3
  17. Crosstie

I think Clinchfield would also be a good fit for steam because you can easily imagine it as a 30's, 40's or 50's route. I doubt if it looked significantly different then to how it looked in the 70's.
    In reality though, I'd rather see a whole new route, perhaps an N & W route. They had some great steam, well into the 50's.
    Of course, as far as steam goes, HSC would have been a great opportunity, in my view, but it's just coming too soon. Still, a backdated Pennsy steam dlc pack is still a possibility down the line. We've seen, in the case of Cornwall, that DTG will add to 3rd party routes if it sees the need and opportunity.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  18. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Only if they are realistic. And unfortuantely the known Dostos are not completely inaccurrat for that route.

19. khalidaliishmail

khalidaliishmail Active Member

Glad to see that steam is making progress, waited a long time and can't wait to see steam appear in a modern up-to-date sim.

Also, as a steam fan I would hope that at least some of the routes that appear in TSW will be primarily steam-focused and not just some odd small tank engine thrown in with a load of diesel/electric, just as there are already diesel-focused and electric-focused routes in the game.

20. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

80BFA10F-F5FD-48F5-8212-F129BCC8DED3.jpeg Spirit of Steam in Planning, (I’m stupid and said production I’m an Idiot)
    If I’m to guess the first Steam route, Old GWR Route, I got a Gut feeling about it

21. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

Can we hope for working GPR-brake-selectors and roadrunner systems (or equivalents) being a standard on future loco releases?

• Like Like x 1
  22. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I'm with you all the way. I do like steam though, not as much as diesels, but I don't think I'd be any good at driving them. I do have a feeling that DTG will use modern routes which will be a shame.

23. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

So I haven’t had time to watch the stream, but is there anything new on something german? So like the Thrandtner Rampe?

24. Kappi701

Kappi701 Active Member

Not interested in steam
    Not interested in US(-Freight)-Routes
    Semi interested in UK-Routes
    Not interested in Loko-Addons without trophies

No news on the trophies issues for future DLC if I didn‘t miss. Roadmap only tells about DLC but not trophy limit.

So for me interesting only Tharander Rampe and Preserved Update on RSN.

I was really looking forward to the BR420 but if it doesn‘t get any trophies, I‘ll skip that as well as the BR187.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I have absolutely no interest in Steam coming to Train Sim World 2.

I think steam locomotives are wonderful pieces of machinery with lots of heart and soul, but I have zero interest in driving one in a simulation seeing as it’s impossible for one person to do so effectively.

I hope steam doesn’t take up too much development time or represent too large a percentage of new routes.

Only time will tell.

• Like Like x 12
  26. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Great news overall! The G6 and the Class 313 will give me plenty to do before the release of the new Dresden route and Steam.

If they fixed the Class 150 West Cornwall will earn it's place on my whishlist, too much content and too little time to play it all.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Crosstie

It will undoubtedly take up a significant amount of development time, but not, I don't think, at the expense of other kinds of traction. DTG will be making a plan to integrate steam locos and routes into the sim just like other developments that are coming down the pike.
    The thing to understand is that, apart from the clearly expressed demand from a significant portion of the player base, no train simulator worth its salt can eschew the inclusion of steam traction. DTG has a long history and a large catalog of steam in TS Classic. It would look very strange if TSW did not follow suit.

Oh, and since it's in fashion on this thread:

I'm very interested in steam
    I'm very interested in diesel
    I'm very interested in electric trains
    I'm very interested in US railroads
    I'm very interested in UK railways
    I'm very interested in German railways
    I'm very interested in railways from any country in the world.

• Like Like x 19
  28. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I feel similarly about it. I think I knew that steam in TSW2 wouldn't be my thing when Adam started talking about how involved the process is, likening it to driving the Class 101. I dislike driving that because I can't just relax and switch off and enjoy the route. It's all completely subjective of course, just not my thing.

On a slightly related note about taking up development time, I'm a bit worried we won't be getting a new (modern) UK route for some time as at least one of the steam routes will be British. Since rush hour they've announced new German and American routes, but not a UK one (West Cornwall doesn't count as it's made by Rivet).

I might be reading too much into things though. I will say this is probably the first roadmap I can remember where there isn't a single add on that interests me. I'd say West Cornwall interests me but with the mediocre sounds for the 150 and my lack of interest for the time period I'm still on the fence.

• Like Like x 4
  29. chacal#2181

Anyway, after the stream im quite happy about what the preservation team is working about. I see that PIS will arrive on 80s routes, i like the CRT thing. I was thinking that in 80s they were only billboards with times of departure/arrival.

Hope they will be able to resolve the timetable problems and who knows add some AI life with portals..

• Like Like x 1
  30. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I remember playing the 3f jinty and thompson all from incab and no hud in ts 2020. This all makes it a new experience, rather than just driving a new type of train.

Every 3 seconds looking out for speed limits, boiler pression with firing, water level, and the tasks itself. So by doing a 2 men job in a simulator my journey became busy always.

Steam will be equal fun than diesel to me. Maybe we get mixed time periods.

For a german route the dresden chemnitz route is also used for steam tours, there is a museum near the tracks.

For a british route i cant immgine going with a modern heritage route as initial release. Maybe the next uk route announcement has indeed something to do with spirit of steam.

31. Vograx

Vograx Active Member

Most interesting things on the roadmap for me right now is;

Spirit of Steam (I think everyone is excited for that one)

Livery Designer 2.0 --> I'm really disappointed with the cumbersome and clunky way the current livery manager works. It seems very console-controller focused and the way you add, edit, copy and tweak decals is horrendously slow and annoying (especially when using mouse+keyboard). I was excited to make some fun liveries and add some flavor to my loco driving, but it is so painful to add any detailing to the trains and doubly so to mirror them on opposite sides of a cart and such.

Anyways, really excited to see what the Livery Designer 2.0 will bring.

• Like Like x 1
  32. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

The roadmap loses its purpose a little !!!
    What was recently announced in the planning, will go into testing in a month !!!! Stopped showing new development plans for the future! There is no information about the state of development, no articles with pictures in production! There is no discussion of developments with the community. The roadmap turns into release announcements.

I really miss a long planning list. I would like to receive information on each stage of development. Don't be afraid of correcting the roadmap. Criticism of the community, as well as praise, will always take place. Correct it please !!!

• Like Like x 4
  33. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

The G6 finally moved into upcoming :love:

34. ARuscoe

Completely agreed, the roadmap last night was about as useful for long term players as a chocolate teapot.
    • Will we get new routes? Yes!
    • When are they coming? Well they're in development...
    • What's being developed? Well we've had meetings and something's happening but it's not confirmed so we can't tell you about it
    That's the basic breakdown of last night's stream

Fine, I'm interested in what's coming and interested in what the preservation team are doing, but the roadmap SHOULD be about the headline fixes and what's happening with them. I don't need minutiae about specific issues and instances, but how far along with xbox sound, PS4/5 issues, UE crashes on PC, BML issues and all the others are important and someone somewhen should be addressing those on a regular basis. That used to be the roadmap, but now, as stated, it seems to just be another piece of marketing fluff for the new people.

At least one stream per week or fortnight should have some substance to it rather than everything being PR

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. ehz0689

ehz0689 Well-Known Member

Will Sherman Hill and/or Horseshoe Curve have any new freight cars for the game? It's kinda sad the game doesn't have any gondolas, big box cars, or covered steel cars.

36. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I agree as well. The purpose of a roadmap is to show the big picture of what's happening (often for an entire year in the case of other studios). Obviously, these don't go into much detail, but the current approach seems to be to put it on the roadmap when it's no more than a month or two away. The phrase "If it's not on the roadmap..." has also lost meaning since, as confirmed by Sam, stuff is in development for way longer than we actually see it in In Production on the roadmap. I think there's more work and thought needed to find the proper balance between when to announce a product and how much detail should be revealed when (to avoid another Rush Hour).

I'll admit, it is nice to know that stuff will release in a timely manner as soon as we see it, but it feels like we're being given less and less information.

• Like Like x 6
  37. ARuscoe

Because your version of "timely" and the wolf pack's version of "timely" (ie give it me now or I'll moan at you) are probably different.
    The point of "other company's roadmaps" is probably reliant on them actually going through with what they say and not having a huge back catalogue of related content that might get fouled up by what they do going forward. Obviously companies also get past this limitation by simply dropping support for anything older than 18 months old and completely stopping development after 24 or 36 (basing that on MS, Apple etc), so at least DTG have that going for them

• Like Like x 2
  38. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the G6 and Steam :)

• Like Like x 1
  39. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

What I find really concerning and annoying is that there still isn't any solution on how to speed up the testing phase for the Perserved Collection stuff which literally ruins the work of Adams team.
    If every part is in testing for nearly half a year (!!!) because of 'not so many slots' or something like that the ever growing pile up will just cause frustration.
    I mean, Peninsular Corridors work was announced sometime in spring and it still didn't reach the playerbase yet.
    So when this testing phase is obviously so low on priority why don't you just test the minimum and let the playerbase do the majority? This is no problem for major releases, so why here? I also don't see any problems why co-working between the playerbase and Adams team shouldn't work. The necessary information could be gathered within days, the main testing team could focus on the major releases and what's so bad in helping to improve an older product? This could work in a peaceful co-existence along with the main releases and Adams team could finally get some rewards from the player base instead of having to wait months and months until testing is completed and then switching forth back between the different products...

TSW is evolving quite fast and keeping the DLCs to current standard is vital for a long term product quality and this suggestion wouldn't cost too many resources- and tbh, we are used to deal with broken releases anyway, so why not in a more positive way?

• Like Like x 1
  40. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

More testing is not bad.

41. ARuscoe

Being in the testing team's queue and "being tested" are likely two different things.
    Same as Ready for Release and "being in the release team's queue"

• Like Like x 3
  42. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

I agree, which is the basis of my suggestion. As previous releases showed quite clearly, it's only the testing process which takes longer, not because more testing is done... so why not have a maximum amount of testing in a minimum amount of time here? ;)

43. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Agreed on all points. The reference to other studios was meant more as an idea of what roadmaps are sometimes used as, less like this is what DTG should do since TSW is very different from what other studios do.

44. ARuscoe

And TSW community is quite different from other communities... Don't normally see a bunch of ravenous Exchange Experts chasing Microsoft for the next patch release (and a bunch of ravenous Exchange Experts sounds like a complete nightmare to be fair)

• Like Like x 3
  45. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

You can thank the people who pissed and moaned that the 313 was "taking so long." That taught DTG not to announce projects until they're almost done.

• Like Like x 6
  46. breblimator

breblimator Guest

It's easy to forget how good the RSN is... <3
    Even the new TRAXX feels playable there :D

Does anyone know what exactly are the changes behind the RSN Preservation Update slogan?
    Is there any chance the ballast to change (DRA style)?

BR o7

47. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  48. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Sure I had expected more from the stream too but if there is nothing to tell there is nothing to tell. And with nothing to tell I mean being able to tell. If there would have been no roadmap stream the moaning would start that they stopped caring or stopped fixing bugs or whatever someone can come with as a theory to why there was no roadmap stream

Maybe it is because I'm a new player that I found the stream to be entertaining enough to keep watching so all I can say is that they did their job. (not telling stuff you are forbidden to tell is also doing a good job)

• Like Like x 1
  49. ARuscoe

In the past they've spent the first 10-15 mins acknowledging the outstanding items and either saying "it's fixed and we're testing it" or "it's not fixed but we're working on it". Besides a very very brief note on the xbox sound and a minor stroke of the PS5 DLC issue Sam's statement was a blunt "This stream isn't to talk about fixes, because they come and go so quickly"

Well, unfortunately there are issues that have been around for months and haven't been fixed, so an update would be nice even just to show it's not been sidelined or forgotten about (considering fixes are now not on the roadmap text at all...)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  50. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member