Dtg - Please Fix Night Time Lighting In Tsw/2

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well, we already did? And so would potential future customers. The better your product is, the more people will get it, ideally.

• Like Like x 1
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Someone had a stab at fixing the night lighting for the Dresden route but made it demonstrably worse than it was. Instead of there being any atmospheric night time lighting it was all removed leaving only artificial light sources and a very peculiar error with the moon. Only things in direct line of an artificial light source are lit and the rest is unnaturally black.

All the ambient light and moonlight was taken away but the reflections off surfaces that you see when the moon is ahead of you are still there, rather like the extra glare you get off surfaces with the sun directly ahead of you. The difference being, when you turn around the sun still lights things but when turning around at night the moon doesn’t. It looks ridiculous and makes driving when the moon is present worse than driving when there is no moon, and that’s bad enough because of the unnatural darkness that the ambient light being totally missing creates. That approach has not worked.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

Actually some maps are not payable at night at all (Ntp. ) Those maps are here since years now and nothing has been done. I fear the engine is not well adapted but like said before lightining should be in priorities as with each map they are flaws un lightning.

Maps may be nice at daylight but come on, we are in 2021...and we would like to drive after sunset..

Now, there is so much that need to be done... And what from i read on Road maps there is nothing about either lightining, neither layering of older maps and so on.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Andrew Beeman

Andrew Beeman Member

So a workaround is using the UUU console and running the command, I do believe this is a setting that can be put into the engine.ini file as well
    r.tonemappergamma 1

It really brings out the darkness in shadows, particularly at night, It can be a bit too dark in the daytime but adjusting the GAMMA parameter in the command console can fix that a little bit.

Another one that is cool is enabling lens flare with r.DefaultFeature.LensFlare 1, just gives you light refraction from light sources

There's no reason that these settings shouldn't be user settable in the game, For context for other people reading this, TSW2 is built on Unreal 4.26, there are a TON of settings that can be adjusted but DTG didn't add them to the in game settings, they can be forced on with console commands, why, I don't know, but its something that should have been implemented, look at RDR2 on PC for example, though its built on the RAGE engine it literally has nearly 80 user adjustable options.

DTG could actually easily enable VR as well, for those who dont know, UE4 already has everything for VR as an option on all project/game files, its literally a mouse click on a check box and enabling it.

Fun Fact: Its already in the command console on TSW, Though forcing to enable it wont work as the game doesnt have the plug in turned on.

ATS and ETS ( Truck Simulator) actually support head tracking VR in their games, its a beta function and you have to opt-in for it. It lacks support for hand controllers so its not an "interactive" VR experience, But none the less you can play the game in VR. It would be cool if TSW2 at least had the option to opt in for an "incomplete/experimental" VR mode, you may still need to use mouse and keyboard for example (But adding simple VR controller support isnt too time consuming) But even if was still just M+K or Gamepad input, you could see the world in VR.

One word of advice when using the Tonemapper Gamma setting is DTG needs to rework the headlight intensity on the locomotives, its crap as is it can make night time driving kinda difficult but is doable (Anyone remember this being a huge complaint in the Railworks days? My my how they don't learn from mistakes)

DEFAULT SETTING
    20211031201755_1.jpg
    20211031201839_1.jpg

R.TONEMAPPERGAMMA 1
    20211031201821_1.jpg

20211031201844_1.jpg
    r.DefaultFeature.LensFlare 1

20211031202236_1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I think the problem with nights in TSW is mostly up to badly lit assets and such. Like on many routes the stations are not lit up properly at all - like Cathcart Circle. Neither are the cities. Stations and nearby cityskapes need better lighting.

Then as for trains, headlights need to actually be useful. There is a reason most trains have dimmable headlights, because that makes a difference between being able to see ahead and not blinding your fellow oncoming train drivers or passengers waiting on the platforms. Dimmable headlight are a thing in TSW as well, but they do close to nothing. On some trains there is a small difference, but barely anything. And on other trains there is no difference at all. Set the headlights up correctly and make them strong where they need to be (like US train headlights, for example) so half of the night driving complaints would be gone instantly.

Then we need actually reflectice trackside signs. I believe the new german route has them, right? So you're actually able to see them at night from further away.

Combine these three points and there, night lighting is fixed.

• Like Like x 4
  6. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

SEHS 17:30 October, all stations pitch black.

• Like Like x 2
  7. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

reported on almost all british roads... lights are swithced on at 18:11 whatever the sun.... should be not that hard to fix... still

• Like Like x 2
  8. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

If you use the GTAO ini command, I've found that using r.GTAO.SpatialFilter 1 makes night scenes look considerably better/darker, if by default it was way too bright. Results will vary by route, depending on time of day, weather and month selected.

Below is March in foggy weather at 21:30.

TSW2_Josh_1635812023_00.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  9. Vograx

Vograx Active Member

My main complaint with lighting is the poor headlights on 1972 and 1938 trains.

It's near impossible to read signs placed on the right hand side of tunnels on the Bakerloo line simply because they are not illuminated early enough. By the time you spot them you already drove past them (as they become obscured by the center bar of the windows and the train itself).

Make headlights illuminate the signs more efficiently (e.g. more reflective signs by simply making them light up earlier) or make the headlights illuminate the entire tunnel better.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

The headlight issue has plagued many routes and trains in TSW2 since the get - go.
    I assume it's being worked on, but we've heard nothing from DTG in some considerable time. Do a forum search for more information on this problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. londonmidland

The last thing I heard was that DTG said if they made headlights too bright, then it’d look weird during the day as it’d reflect on the ground.

Vograx The lack of reflections on signs is apparently an Unreal Engine issue. Although I’m not sure how valid this is.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Is this in the normal Engine.ini file we add our other tweaks to?

Also does it affect the normal daytime view or only the night view?

13. londonmidland

Yes and yes it does. It can make day time look too dark so I recommend using Unreal Engine Unlocker so you can toggle it on and off so you don’t have to keep adding and removing it to the engine ini each time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Cheers..... I'll have a look into this.

• Like Like x 1
  15. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

What are the best engini.ini settings to have a proper night lighting but with minimal performance hit?

16. 5cip

5cip Active Member

i like that entry for me its perfect thx before i had this entry with =0

17. 5cip

5cip Active Member

i have this engine.ini

[SystemSettings]
    r.ViewDistanceScale=2.0
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=3
    r.BloomQuality=3
    r.TonemapperGamma=2
    r.SkylightIntensityMultiplier=0.5
    r.EyeAdaptationQuality=1
    r.ToneMapper.Sharpen=0
    r.TextureStreaming=0
    r.MotionBlur.Scale=2.0
    r.MinScreenRadiusForLights=0.00
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.EnableUprightCompensation=0
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.KSitting.Y=200.0
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.KSitting.Z=200.0
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.LSitting.Y=40
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.LSitting.Z=5.0
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.SittingPivotOffset=-200
    ts2.CameraMotionSway.LSitting.X=50
    ts2.save.CheckpointsEnabled=0
    r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0
    r.AmbientOcclusion.Method=1
    r.GTAO.FalloffEnd=300
    r.GTAO.SpatialFilter=1
    r.GTAO.NumAngles=2
    r.GTAO.UseNormals=1
    r.GTAO.ThicknessBlend=0
    r.Shadow.DistanceScale=1
    r.Shadow.TransitionScale=1
    r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=1

18. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

Thanks but what are your specs and how much fps do you get with this settings?

19. 5cip

5cip Active Member

60 fps most routes except dresden Route

is not the newest one:

i7 4790 k
    16 gig ram
    evga 1080 gtx
    win 11
    + optimized system with many windows services disabled (unnecessary ressource eaters)
    hitman pro alert & kaspersky total security as av protection.
    im on nvidia dev 510.10 driver atm