What's Your Favourite Poll.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dhekelian, Oct 29, 2021.

?
  1. 1) STEAM

15.2%
  2. 2) DIESEL

40.2%
  3. 3) ELECTRIC

44.7%
  1. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Just wanted to see what the opinion of the forum would be, for a little fun, on your type of favourite type of Loco that you would like to drive in TSW2. I know we haven't got steam yet but I would assume you would know if it is your favourite type.

I posted this below in a reply but might make it easier for some to choose,

Imagine a new Train sim is coming out and it is everything you wanted it to be but the catch is they can do only one type Loco. Steam, Diesel or Electric?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  2. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Modern Diesels for me, or I should say somewhat modern.

150/153/156/158’s are all on my hit list, however it seems Rivet have a different sort of ‘Hit List’ for the sprinters, hopefully DTG will come through with them.

Would absolutely love to see 220/221’s, 390, 185, 175 & 68’s also.

The upcoming BR 612 for Germany is great to see, can’t wait to get in the cab of that one.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dhekelian

I personally love the late 70's early 80's Diesels in BR Blue. The 117, 121, HST, 37, 50 etc. There were some great trains then, I do love steam as well but the Diesel slam doors were great imo.

• Like Like x 2
  4. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah I do hope we get some BR era DLC again soon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I could easily say all three.

I love the Class 86s and 90s, these are the iconic locomotives of my childhood and they always put a smile on my face when I see them.

On the diesel side of things, the 37s and 68s are probably my favourites for the sound alone, the 68s under the roof at Manchester Victoria is particularly awesome.

And for steam, I will never forget my first time seeing Britannia at Manchester Victoria, it is an awe-inspiring machine you can really sense the force and power of it, this imposing, yet graceful giant that truly feels alive.

Choosing between the three is next to impossible for me, they each hold a special place in my heart and choosing one over the others just feels wrong.

I guess I just like trains.

• Like Like x 2
  6. dhekelian

Yes most of us here are the same. But I wanted to push people. Imagine a new Train sim is coming out and it is everything you wanted it to be but the catch is they can do only one type Loco. Steam, Diesel or Electric?

7. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

This.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Tough one for me since I love individual locos of every type. Steam locos feel alive like no other locos and are a sight to behold. Diesel locos radiate power when throttling up. Electric locos are real powerhouses - clean and efficient.

If I had to choose, I‘d go with electric locos - specifically vintage ones. I love old-school art deco electrics like the American GG1 or the German E 18 / Br 118.

• Like Like x 3
  9. flghttrainsm#6320

flghttrainsm#6320 Member

Diesel especially the DMUs , 101 , 102 142 ,143 ,144 , 150 ,153 , 156 ,158 ,159. I would absolutely love to have a pacer in tsw 2 if would have to have the correct physics and realistic audio , I wouldn't want it come from RG as they have botched the 150

Also having a maglev train would be pretty cool

10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Classic diesels and DMU's = 1960's and 1970's preferably with steam heat Mark One stock.

11. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I would also say all three, it really depends on my mood;
    -Steam is challenging and requires far more concentration, but is very rewarding when driving correctly.
    -Diesel is noisy and quite fun, and provides a good balance in terms of difficulty.
    -Electric is generally more relaxing to drive if looking to take things more easy.

Also note that vehicles with older technology like vacuum brakes, manual gears, camshafts and tap changers are challenging but fun regardless of power type. They are also more engaging when compared to more modern vehicles that normally have features such as wheelslip and wheelslide protection, train length indicators, cruise control, modern thyristor controls and multiple brake types.

You really do notice how those modern features make driving a heck of a lot more convenient and I have total respect for drivers of old steam trains doing the equivalent job often over the same routes to a similar timetable for up 12 hours at a time or more!

• Like Like x 3
  12. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

I could not vote I as I like both the electric and Diesel

13. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I voted electric as I like German DLC most and at the moment that is mostly electric. But I like diesels as well.

In real life I prefer Steam, but didn’t enjoy it in TS2022, so not really looking forward to it that much in TSW.

14. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Having grown up in the time when electric trains were the standard type of train , I have to say electric

• Like Like x 1
  15. dhekelian

This is what I was wondering how people voted. I grew up with Diesels mainly although there is steam locally, I love the noise of them and the variety and the ability to open the door myself manually, lol. I do like some Electric trains as well but imo they don't have the personality of the Diesels or steam. But everyone has their favourites and there are no wrong answers.

I know the poll still has a few posts left but thought steam would have a higher percentage.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

Diesels, maybe because i like old things, maybe because i like the period of diesel era more...

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Diesels make better noises so they got my vote. I should imagine driving steam locos is going to be a right faff so I can’t see them becoming my favourite once they arrive, and you can’t see much out of the driving cab so I’m fairly safe with my current choice.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I never drove steam from the cab view in MSTS, or DTG TS for that matter either. Always head out or chase cam.
    Steam is also going to look a bit incongruous with the current HUD too. Maybe they will give it a Railroad Tycoon II style makeover.

• Like Like x 2
  19. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

Dirty Diesel with whistling turbos :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

To be honest, I find electrics too easy. Diesels, especially old ones, are more of a challenge. Besides, my antiquarian interest is US diesels of the 30s to 60s.

• Like Like x 2
  21. dhekelian

Come on Diesel fans, come forward and vote and don't let these 'milk-floats' win the vote! :D

• Like Like x 3
  22. flghttrainsm#6320

flghttrainsm#6320 Member

I love vin diesel , you can't beat XXX , the first 2 fast and furious movies , the pacifier , riddixn etc loool

Edit
    I'm taking the Mick

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  23. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Interesting that steam lags so far behind, maybe because steam buffs still play TS1.

Would be interesting to see if the same poll in the TS1 forums came back with a bigger vote for steam.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I voted for diesel, but I have a fondness for steam, because I grew up in the latter part of the transition. I kind of agree with solicitr. Electrics are just too easy, almost like fairground rides. I just did a Vic to Brighton run and it didn't really ask anything from me in the way of skill, I basically sat back and watched it go. Gradients didn't seem to faze it like they might a diesel or steam engine. The old Woodhead electrics were more fun.

But you really need to pay attention with a diesel like the Class 101, the BR 363 or one of the heavy American locos.

As OldVern said, it'll be interesting to see how they implement steam, vis-a-vis the HUD. Yes, head out is the only way to drive the beasts.

25. Crosstie

I think the results of the poll, though the numbers are small relative to the total player base, reflect the age distribution on the forum and maybe in the game.

So few of us will remember the glory days of steam in regular revenue service.
    I expected diesel to be the most popular, so it's kind of disappointing to see electric traction in the lead. Electric trains are all somewhat of an "arcade game " for me, simple to drive, on auto pilot most of the time and lack " personality." But for many of our younger members, that's what they've grown up with. Older diesels and steam are like vinyl records, typewriters and rotary phones, I guess. :)

• Like Like x 2
  26. dhekelian

I agree. I think Diesel is a compromise between steam and Electric. I also love steam, especially the history of it. But driving one of the later steam ones I'm not to bothered it about really, unless it is the Mallard. Give me a Diesel any day, lol. There was a post in another thread with someone saying the 101 is too complicated and how he prefers Electric!. Don't see it myself, some electrics do sound good 465, 166 etc but for me if the sounds were to do the Diesels justice it would just be awesome.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  27. dhekelian

Well that was unexpected. I thought Steam would do a lot better even from such a small sample, I hope DTG have got their info correct on this. Disappointed that Diesel didn't win although more people voted for trains that were not Electric than Electric, LOL. Interesting though.

28. solicitr

I find electrics the more interesting and fun the older and less sophisticated they are. The BR 155 is great to wrestle with; the ICE3 (especially under LZB) practically drives itself- where's the fun in that?

• Like Like x 3
  29. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

The poll is probably skewed by the fact we have no steam yet. Many people might think it's not their cup of tea, too difficult, are new to the genre, etc. We should make a new one after the release of steam. I voted steam.

30. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

Personally I vote that Steam goes up in smoke, with the exception of AI trains, that we can not event climb on board of the locomotive, just to ride them as passenger, when it is a passenger train

• Like Like x 1
  31. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

32. dhekelian

As I said before I love steam and think many do love steam but don't necessarily want to drive one. Steam is a two man job, if done properly. Some might be going by steam in TS1 not so sure.

If steam turns out to be decent enough to drive I might get the odd one that means the most to me but I think Diesel is the one for me.

33. solicitr

I think DTG are going to have to, at the least for the sake of newbies, casual players and for that matter both the non-hardcore and sticklers for realism, build an auto-fireman. Hopefully with the option to play as a fireman as an alternative to driving. But driving and maintaining the boiler all by yourself? Madness.

• Like Like x 3
  34. dhekelian

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a co-op mode, I'd be a fireman, lol.

35. Crosstie

TS has always had an auto fireman and I almost always have to use it. Engineering a steam loco is hard enough by itself, especially the advanced ones. As you say, it's crazy to think you could do both. Nobody does that in real life, I'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
  36. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Once you understand what's going on and have a big of track knowledge, doing both jobs isn't too difficult. You have to stay ahead of the train, but it's definitely doable on a PC simulation.

• Like Like x 1