Confused

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jschlegel48, Nov 4, 2021.

1. jschlegel48

jschlegel48 New Member

First let me admit. I'm no good with searches so if this was previously discussed just point me to the thread. Second, I may not understand all the possible controls using the PC and Rail Driver.

Now the meat. I've been walking my feet off in these US heavy games involving switching and such. Just yesterday I discovered I could change switch directions in the map simply by clicking on them. Don't know why now as I've clicked the heck on them before with no action resulting. But hey... they work now.

Next. Watching videos (these are specific to the CSX DLC) I notice the player apparently 'flying' (camera choice 8 presume) t the proper car and uncoupling the cars. I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Perhaps, along with this is...

My cameras do not react like in the demo videos posted by others. Cameras 2 and 3 do not give me the range nor movement demonstrated. Camera 8 doesn't even come close to demo videos.

I'm playing on a high powered PC so I don't believe that may be the problem. Probably just my own ignorance. Any help would be so very much appreciated.

2. JohnHedgehog

JohnHedgehog New Member

With cameras 3 and 8 you can use the arrow keys to move around, the 8 camera should give you the most freedom as it is not locked to the train. You can also press shift in conjunction with the arrow keys to fly faster. Hope this helps.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Yes, you can change switches in the live map but not in the pause screen map.
    Camera 2, 3 and 8 can be moved using the direction keys and sped up using shift and direction keys.

Camera 2 and 3 are close up but camera 2 stays around the locos.

Yes, you can couple/uncouple using the free camera and hovering over the couplers/coupler mechanism.

4. HaibaraHariko

HaibaraHariko Active Member

1. You can use [8] for free camera and [9] for map.

2. When using the free camera, press [Arrow Keys] to fly around and [Shift] to speed up. You can still interact with things around, like switches or couplers but not the collectibles.

3. When you go too far away from your train using the free camera, the game might load again when you return to the normal view.

4. You can use [Ctrl][-] or [Ctrl][+] to change between locomotives. Also if you are outside, you can use [Ctrl][0] to return to the last train you drived.

5. When using the map, you cannot see the changes to switches if the game is paused.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  5. 5cip

5cip Active Member

A bit off topic but when i press the horn key i can only hear one sound and with shift + space it's the same sound while using camera to see my train... but in game settings i can clearly see that binded is space and shift + space...

6. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Isn't horn space and N?

• Like Like x 1
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Actually, that's not true. Although in the map when accessed from the pause screen you can't see the purple indicator line move (because the game is paused), as soon as you return to game time those switches will change. (It took me over a year to realize this, it's very nonintuitive)

8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

It's space and N. I've tried shift SPACE but I think that hasn't worked in a while (if ever)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

And please, don't anyone chime in and say that throwing switches and coupling / uncoupling using the free camera is somehow " cheating " . We've long ago established that the cameras are stand-ins for conductors, hostlers, dispatchers or other helpers, who are not modeled in the game.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Horn= space, but many locos have a low and a high horn. Then the second horn uses key N. The usage is not always consistent, sometimes space is the low horn, in other cases it can be the high horn and vice versa. You may prefer the in cab control, If you want to combine low and high horn this works much better.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jschlegel48

jschlegel48 New Member

Thanks for the help. Using camera's now as I needed. And switching too. Thanks again

12. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Hahahaha. It took me like 3 months to realize that the "Live" map is accessed by pressing 9. I was switching the switches in the menu map thinking "Wow this sucks".

13. jschlegel48

jschlegel48 New Member

Yeah...That person in the seat next to you is pretty worthless aren't they? I'm always cussing them out for being lazy. My grandkids get such a kick out of me talking to a game.

• Like Like x 2