My Biggest Problem With The Sounds On Any Of Rivets Locos

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by WonterRail, Nov 4, 2021.

1. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

Now it's fair to say that Rivet Games has certainly struggled with TSW2, especially with the sounds of many of their locos they have made for this game. This subject has especially come into question with the release of West Cornwall Local and the Class 150/2 with many people not happy about how the loco sounds in game. But that's not what I want to about here, I wanted to use this opportunity to talk about something has rather bothered me about Rivet's locos in general, and something that has seemingly continued with the Class 150/2 for WCL...

…Why does Rivet Games seem to keep using the exact same wheel joint sounds for all of their locos they have made for TSW2?

For context, wheel joint sounds are basically the sound a train makes when a train goes over either a set of points or a pair joins connecting two pairs of rails. Now not counting the Class 37 that comes with WCL as that just uses the same sounds as the one for Tees Valley Line (which admittedly is not too bad). But specifically looking at the locos that rivet have made for this game, the BR 204 loco add-on, the Class 483 that came with Isle of Wight (which was then turned into the 1938 tube stock loco add-on), The Ge 4/4 II for Arosalinie and now with the Class 150/2 for West Cornwall Local, you will find that all of those locos have the same wheel joint sounds, and what's worse is that these wheel joint sounds are just copied of the various wagons you will find in TSW/TSW2. I know, I don't have any footage to prove this, but just go and play with any of Rivet's locos and you will find that I am not joking here.

Now as you can see, the problem with this is not only are these sounds inauthentic for the locos they have made, it's also just such a lazy move from them (and I hate using that word most of the time). Like... I get if Rivet couldn't find accurate sounding wheel joint sounds for these locos, but with such a wide variety of wheel joint sounds out there, they could have literally used any other sound to try and make these sounds more authentic and it just takes away so much immersion out of their locos knowing that they just keep using those same sounds again and again.

Which is why the message I want to get out to Rivet here is that for your next project, whatever that may be, please can you try and change up the wheel joint sounds on whatever loco you decide to make next, because it's one thing to just copy and paste those sounds from another loco/piece of rolling stock, but it's another thing to just keep using those sounds again and again and again and again and again and again.

Trust me, you can't keep doing this forever, you have to do something different at some point.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

You’ll be surprised at how long they will try to sadly

• Like Like x 3
  3. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "going over a set of points"

4. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

I think he means, to put it bluntly, when train move, it move on track. Sometime on track there are different ways to go. At these place there two different tracks which are swooped by pistons. When train go over these points it make noise as there are often small gaps between rails

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Crossing what in America are called switches. Since the wheels are crossing gaps between rails they make a "clackety-clack" sound.

6. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Im im a train right now.

The train doesnt exist in tsw 2 but the joint sounds are the same as in the sim.

The metal wheels on a cl 483 make the same joint sound as a metal wheel on a gp38 in alaska.

But:
    I agree that rivets trains for some reason missing their accurate sound characteristics.

Every rolling stock (loco & coach). Has its own sound character which comes from the moving parts of the bogies and the bearings etc in relation to its weight.

Just use the accurate traction motor sounds doesnt make a loco sound like a locomotive.

Good example:
    The 1938 tube stock has slightly wrong traction motor sounds, which for me never was an immersion braker.
    But if you coasting at power off, its so silent that it feels like to be in a glider. Thats the true immersion braker, because its not convincing the player to be in a train at all.

To my surprise DTGs sounds are also not accurate 100% all the time, but can immerse players to actually sit in that train. (Cl.33 the sound on top with the physics make you believe to drive a heavy 75 tonn locomotive)

A Tube stock is more than 160 tonns, those weights create noise while moving or braking!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 2