Train Sim World 2 - Calling At Cornwall

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Oct 15, 2021.

1. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I agree although DTG do vet the third party DLC's so should have enough knowledge of it to review it themselves. Not sure third parties would like to Pay for this as it would mean less profit. Perhaps DTG could use this as a way to entice more third party outfits to come to TSW2 but saying they will advertise their product if good enough?

Mind you who would you have as an advertising stream from DTG? Personally Sam is a bit better than everyone else, Matt is knowledgeable about the game and Adam is good on the coding side. Nat is good in the mix as well. Apart from them though there isn't much to shout about and Sam might not be keen anyway as he seems to be doing less and less where imo he should be doing more.

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

No, I would have felt the same even if DTG hadn't mentioned they'd tried.
    If a 3rd party is having a preview then said 3rd party should either be doing the preview themselves, being present whilst DTG are doing so or both. This has become almost a standard for TSW2 releases and for me it should continue to be so

3. ARuscoe

The "main players" are really Matt & Jamie... And the mouthpiece (ie the one who reads the chat and asks the questions) could be any of them. Sam's great, Nat's a good shout (and getting better) and JD is JD

• Like Like x 2
  4. locobilly

locobilly Well-Known Member

You might be happy with sub standard dlc with basic errors but many of us are not. Besides the purchase cost doesn't pay the pro-rata cost of development like the way you somewhat naively describe, no it's the overall takings from the dlc that pays the wages. In simple language the more they sell the more they make. Obviously if word gets around that the dlc is "broken" then they're not going to get many sales are they? On top of that the studio is going to have to put in a lot of hours to remedy those problems aren't they?
    This is the way business works to day and is why some companies flourish whilst others go to the wall. Get it right or pay the consequences. Don't know about you but I'm not rich enough to encourage sloppy work practices.

• Like Like x 6
  5. dhekelian

Jamie? He is TS1 no? I do find Jamie and JD hard to watch at times especially...er...erm JD, LOL For me Sam would have to be there or someone like him (Nat is the closest imo) as he isn't afraid to ask awkward questions even though they have a certain level of bias, DTG is paying them for example.

I reckon Sam with Matt and Adam would cover nearly everything with Nat in reserve.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ARuscoe

I am thinking that if they do retro or steam stuff he may well end up coming over to TSW, and I put him as a "player" even though last I watched he still used the big HUD and the onscreen HUD controls, but that's MY prejudice rather than him being a n00b

I like Sam, I like Nat, JD is amiable. Adam's a laugh but more technical mindset than hard hitting questionning of the boss (Matt)

• Like Like x 1
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

And how is selling it cheaply, knowing it is substandard (as that is the price point of a low quality DLC) and word getting round that it is a substandard DLC going to bring sales 1.5 times the sales of a high quality DLC (at normal price) to cover the costs of making it? I have illustrated the way selling it cheaply wouldn’t work by showing that the income would not pay the costs but selling many more copies of low quality DLC than high quality DLC as being a way for them to continue developing while they improve is a more absurd concept. I’m not naive enough to think that either would happen which is why I was illustrating the point with a situation that could definitely not happen. I guess you didn’t spot that. I know how it works and I know how they make money and they need to both charge full price and get the sales. Under no circumstances could they charge less as the costs don’t go down. The entire point of my post.

I’m not happy with substandard DLC either. I’m not encouraging sloppy work practises either, that’s not how I got rich. But suggesting they charge less for substandard work is a good way of making it much worse in the long run. They need to charge full price to get the money to do it well.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

True, but DTG have long maintained that there is, for them, something of a disconnect between quality and price. Put another way they say that a higher price would not beget a better product - somewhat counterintuitive, since it implies that a lower price would not change the quality either. Plus it's always seemed to me an anomaly that their standard price for a route in TS Classic is $39.95 ( about £29 ), compared to $29.95 ( £21.75 ) for TSW2. And their prices have never changed, despite inflation generally.

Still, I don't question their business plan, since we are the beneficiaries of the low prices for what could be an expensive hobby.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

To the 150 you can also add the lights are next to useless. Doing a nighttime run and the tunnels are totally dark as though the lights aren't even there. Also the set up time is the worst yet. On the Late Night Finish scenario by the time you've walked to the train, set up the cab and driven forward then shutdown the cab and walked down the train to the other cab and set that one up you're already late and still have to get to the platform at St Austell. I'm no train driver but it was a dream of mine as a kid and I want to take this game as seriously as if I was a driver in real life but they don't make it easy when they're releasing stuff that's as bad as what we've had delivered the past few months.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dhekelian

Yeah I can see that. Although, being honest, I find Jamie and JD a bit of a chore to watch. I do think they should try and use Sam more, he seems to be the glue for those streams, perhaps he wants to take more of a back seat but IMO DTG is missing a trick there and then they could mould Nat to take his place, as he is really old isn't he? LOL (like me)

• Like Like x 3
  11. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

JD comes across a little condescending and unfriendly at times, although I don't think he intends to.

Jamie is fine, but really needs more experience, when paired with Matt he does OK.

Nat has potential, and could do with being paired with Sam more.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers preview streams with Sam and Matt rather than Matt and JD lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I think he has a natural marketing/sales vibe about him, and is able to sell a product even when it is less than impressive.

That’s obviously good for the business, but isn’t really what us players want to hear. I think Sam is better at addressing the issues us players see and express, and views the game more from a players point of view rather than a business point of view.

• Like Like x 3
  13. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

the door controls inside the cab near the speedometer if you click them again they close the doors

• Like Like x 1
  14. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

You must not have ever met Dmtri.
    Granted things were different back then. JD seems to do a good job and gets a lot of our questions answered.

• Like Like x 2
  15. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Publishers charge the same price for novels by geniuses and novels by hopeless hacks.

• Like Like x 2
  16. dhekelian

I find JD's football team disturbing, hahaha. I'm sure he is a nice bloke but he comes across as being disinterested .

Jamie, again I bet he is a good lad but comes across with less energy than the others unless he is talking about Swiss Loco's. I agree that Nat should be partnered with Sam, she could be the next Sam as I think she has the personality to ask difficult questions. Matt and Adam are vital to the stream as they give indepth info on what is going on but we need Sam there asking the questions.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Me, I am none because I do not speak English.
    It would be good if we had a little summary on the forum after a stream, even in English.
    I could pass it in goggle translate.:)

• Like Like x 3
  18. GothicMatt

GothicMatt Active Member

I never used to like Sam at first as i thought he was a bit overbearing but the more streams i watched i realised that Sam is a straight to the point person he doesn't mess around or beat around the bush and understands what we aren't happy about so i actually do like Sam more than before, Nat and Sam i think would be a good pairing as Nat is similar to Sam with straight to the point in her answers. Adam i think is more of a technical person and does have a good laugh, Matt is very insightful like Adam and is vital to the streams. I've not watched Jamie or JD so i cant comment on either of them.

• Like Like x 2
  19. dhekelian

I agree, but remember Sam is being paid by DTG or I assume he is. And so with that comes a certain amount of bias but overall yeah.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

The historian in me is compelled to say 'potentially biased' ;)

But yes, I get what you mean, any kind of marketing (which is what the streams are at the end of the day) is being conducted by people who stand to benefit from selling the product and we should always keep that in mind. The purpose is quite simply, 'buy our product' and by nature that will attempt to present the product in the best light possible.

But I do think the folks we see on stream do a very good job, they always deliver a fascinating insight and go into more detail into game design, production and ongoing support than I see from most other companies. What really impresses me is the Community Managers, they ask the right questions and know when to press further when an answer is unsatisfactory and they don't hold back when they know something isn't up to scratch.

I moderate on the official forums for another game and I've actually started taking down notes of comments from the DTG guys on things that might apply over there because I often see similar complaints and questions and I find DTG's detailed insight into various aspects of making and maintaining the game to be a useful asset. A lot of what DTG have said corroborates what I've heard from other developers and often adds extra depth and nuance that I previously have not considered.

I know some people are often dissatisfied by DTG's communication but I truly and honestly believe it to be some of the best I have encountered and I truly appreciate their honesty on issues and their willingness to acknowledge where their shortcomings are.

The live streams and the roadmap offer insight and depth on everything from design to bug fixing and the problems that are encountered throughout the process. I wish not only for DTG to carry the roadmap and live streams onwards long into the future, but for these to be adopted across the industry as a means for communication.

• Like Like x 4
  21. dhekelian

If he is being paid by DTG there is no 'potentially' about it.

I like watching the streams as you do but I wouldn't go as far as to say they are the best. It isn't always easy to watch, Sam is important to the stream for asking questions and Matt and Adam for answering them. Nat could fill Sam's shoes but Jamie and JD send me to sleep no offence meant and I'm sure they are great guys, Just my honest opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  22. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

What has this thread turned into?
    Everyone is unique.
    Take what you like and ignore the rest.
    We're all human!

• Like Like x 7
  23. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

24. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

25. ARuscoe

That tag line's been applied to the "main game" and all related DLC, so not in the sale for that specific one

26. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Layers such as these highlight the need for livery designer function. Those coaches have already been made compatible for use with GW Legends. Why cant they be made available? Freight wiseTBH Id have stuck with the Turbots and Seacows. Maybe the vans as static un used stock. Add the 33 and 31 as alternates to loco hauled.

• Like Like x 1
  27. greggryan2

greggryan2 Active Member

I watched the stream that was done on this route and Matt mentioned that Go Via's need to be used so the traffic flow on the map works. This was due to some sections being locked from other services because of the not a lot of signals on the route.

When creating a Scenario there will be an issue. The Paths setup do not include the Go Vias so when routing through the Pinch Points traffic will wait when nowhere near. Basically, it would cause scenarios made unreliable, and unrealistic.

The Go Vias need to be markers on the route so the dispatcher when creating Customer Scenarios routes Via these so the issue Matt mentioned in the stream doesn't occur.

I am happy to add these markers to the route, to help Duvetail however would need Editor access.

Kind Regards
    Ryan Gregg

• Like Like x 2
  28. ARuscoe

To put it more technically, trains call the signals far in advance of where they are to be able to get green lights, and when there are very few signals this means that the trains call signals miles and miles ahead of where they are right now. From what Matt said I am surmising that trains are calling signals up to four signals ahead, so if you're on West Cornwall this can be very much too far and would stop trains being able to leave Penzance for ages at a time

This is an issue of how DTG have written the interacting between the dispatcher and the signals where the trains are the ones calling the shots. IRL it would be the other way round
    This is also why the dispatcher is blamed for issues on very busy lines, because DTG are reliant on trains leaving platforms on time for the signalling to not get tied up in knots rather than making the signals the ruling party and then trains have to keep up with the signals. I'm sure there is a good reason as to why it's that way round though

29. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

What does everyone think of the wheel screech / flange screech, odd it sometimes happens on straight bits of track, isn't this meant to be curves only?

• Like Like x 1
  30. greggryan2

greggryan2 Active Member

Well in the stream it was made clear the workaround is to give the service a go Via before the signal ahead this way the dispatcher would clear signals to the Go Via. Then once past the Go Via would route through however many signals it does.

The issue here is in this route the paths do not include this Go Via's so if I create a scenario using the Planner I end up with as I and you said trains waiting for ages because I for example miles away from Penzance have full routing into the platform when I'm still 2 signals away on a double-track section.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me if the 37 can be used on north trans Pennine, and if the 09 from west Somerset can be used on Cornwall?

I'm seeing a lot of 37s like in the heavy freight pack, and in the Cornwall, but if I've got a 37 in the Cornwall route, can it be used vice the heavy freight pack?

Seems stupid otherwise to buy heavy freigt pack for locos I've already got

32. ARuscoe

No and no, there have been no changes to the NTP to incorporate the 37 and the 09 isn't shown on the Cornwall timetable

33. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

The heavy freight pack comes with the class 40, not the class 37

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. greggryan2

greggryan2 Active Member

Just checking on this issue. Has anyone at DTG looked into this or could the UE4 users of us who know how to use the editor and Unreal Engine 4 be able to get the editor so we are able to make complex custom scenarios not restricted by the in-game planner. Also, get the editor to be able to make scenarios where we can add in Go-Via's that have been missed which currently is making customer scenarios unrealistic.

For example, I am currently being held back by a signal at danger when at the other end the train coming in the opposite direction has not even reached Truro Platform 2 yet.

Kind Regards.

35. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

So, I'm loving this route but I have noticed an odd calling pattern on the St Ives branch. In real life Lelant Saltings was a park and ride station which all services stopped at and Lelant itself only had a couple of "parliamentary" services to prevent it being closed, On here though it's Lelant that gets all the stopping services and nothing for Lelant Saltings.

• Like Like x 1
  36. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I’ve reported this on the Rivet Support Forum but not had a reply as other reports have. It does seem to me from experience that Rivet tend to just ignore posts that don’t suit them so I wouldn’t hold my breath for this to be fixed.

• Like Like x 2
  37. screamfan

screamfan Member

Not surprised Rivet has still not fixed Arosa and the 1938 tube stock sound...

They are used to not fixing anything once the product is released

• Like Like x 2
  38. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Now they have all the time of the World to fix their content. All rivet dlcs are released at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  39. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

Sorry to bump this one, but I just want to flag to DTG Natster the actual history of the Cornish Mainline- as taken from a painting on the wall of Truro station.

Its much older than 1867 as mentioned in the blurb.

Hope peeps appreciate.

D

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  40. dhekelian

I watched a stream of this last night that is upto date, end of January. He uses no mods before anyone asks and seemed pretty good until he came into one station as normal stopped and opened the doors to let everyone off but then could not close the doors. He tried everything or seemed to, it was very strange, he even went through resetting the controls but the doors would not close.

He was on time before when he stopped but well over when he left. He had to go to every door to shut it manually, good job it was a two car 150 and not an 8 car! I wondered if this a known problem and how widespread this is? Must say it would put me off if I was going to buy it.

• Like Like x 1
  41. ARuscoe

I've had that once or twice...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. dhekelian

Could I ask if you had to solve it the same way?

43. ARuscoe

Yep, neither the keyboard shortcuts nor the door controls on the Raildriver worked, and I ended up manually closing them by walking along the platform and clicking on the doors

44. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

you need to go on outside camera, and hit each of the close door buttons individually.
    Rivet are aware, as its mentioned several times on their board!

D

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  45. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Had the same problem once, just manually closed each door and continued the run. I guess for immersion you could write up a discrepancy report and have the unit pulled for maintenance after returning to the depot. :)

• Like Like x 3
  46. ARuscoe

"Desk buttons not working, I jabbed them real hard and everything..."

• Like Like x 6