Modding In Female Drivers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MxBrindle, Nov 7, 2021.

1. MxBrindle

MxBrindle New Member

Greetings all!

Today I booted up my first videogame-capable PC in many years, allowing me to finally realise a long-held dream: playing Train Simulator. However, I find myself rather annoyed, and my immersion damaged, by the grumpy-looking male driver models, so I am wondering if there is something I can do about that.

I did find this old thread asking Dovetail to add female drivers, but it seemed to get a bit testy, and I am guessing that this feature has not yet been added. Still, perhaps someone, somewhere has made a mod for it?

If there are no mods, I would be glad for any advice on how to replace, modify, or, if needs be, simply remove the driver character model (the file paths seem to have changed since the old thread). At least if I am embodied in game as an invisible poltergeist, I can imagine it's me in the driver's seat.

Thanks very much for your help ^_^

• Like Like x 3
  2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

As for modding it in yourself, then yes, I suppose that may be possible, but a bit too complex for this post, and I'm not the best person to advise you any way. Others may be along to tell you how to do it if it can be done.

As for the issue in general....
    In Train Simulator, I'm normally looking forward, so I AM the driver. It is not something I've really thought about. It also depends on the train in question. If it's a class 40, then there really weren't many female train drivers in the 60s, 70s and 80s.
    Also, not all trains are made by Dovetail, and as the driver is part of the train model, it wouldn't be entirely up to them to change it anyway.

The reality is though, I rarely see a female train driver. I'm not saying they don't exist, obviously, as they do, but I can sit on a station all day and not see a single female driver. This is not unusual. So for the sake of saving time, and work, I suppose it's just easier to put a generic male driver in there. To add a female driver INSTEAD of a male one, would mean every single train of that type woudl have a female driver. This would be unrealistic, and being a simulator, realism is the goal. The alternative would be to add it as an option for scenario editor, but this adds complexity and cost to the product, and having two versions (male and female) of each train in the actual playing menu would be untenable. Logistically, it's just easier to have a generic driver, and unfortunately, most drivers are men (shrug). It may be worth asking this question to actual, real life train companies as to why there are so few female drivers? After all, a simulator is designed to reflect real life accurately. If most train drivers were female, then I'm sure the "default" drivers in the game would be women.
    All I can suggest is you keep suggesting to the makers of the models... Dovetail, AP, Just Trains et al, that it would add variety and realism... on the appropriate rolling stock of course... as I said... female drivers on steam engines and BR era stuff would not really be period correct.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  3. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

I don't think the realism argument washes that much, there's no need for a game of all things to reflect a past where minorities and women were denied certain jobs simply because of who they were.

Train Sim World does a better job with this, one of the few things it does :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

I think the new ATS 185 does include a female driver if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pookeyhead

You wish to rewrite history? If you wish something to be historically accurate, then I'm afraid you are wrong. Acknowledging that something was wrong does not mean we still endorse it, but pretending it never happened is just mindless virtue signalling that has no real purpose. If pest events and behaviours were not compatible with the way we live life today, then you don't erase them from history, you spotlight them, recontextualise them, and use them as a means to educate people as to why they were wrong. You can't do that if you pretend it never happened, and you will be doomed to repeat the same mistakes in perpetuity. We learn from history... or should be doing.

Should we not write historical novels that reflect the times they were set in anymore? Should movies set in, for example, 1950s America not include institutionalised racism just because we no longer accept it? What purpose do you think such behaviour promotes?

Female drivers in modern traction is absolutely fine, but seriously, you want a woman fireman on a steam locomotive? What's the purpose of that? There were none.. or so few as to mean the same thing. It's just silly. It's a simulator any way, not a game. Reality is King.... or Queen.

• Like Like x 5
  6. andy.malcolm

It's up to the player. If the player wants to do that why not. No harm in it, and you can continue to use the historically accurate set up you wish to use. The entire game is a fantasy, there is nothing stopping me running a Japanese DMU on a Scottish branch line should I choose to do so. I will never be a train driver so for 100% true realism, I guess I shouldn't even be playing it. A troubling paradox.

Your next post will probably accuse me of being "woke".

• Like Like x 3
  7. Pookeyhead

There's no harm in it, no, but it IS a simulator. Why not have a gorilla driving the train, or a cocker spaniel... it's just fun, right? Doesn't need to be accurate... Just fun :) We all crave accuracy of details like noises, liveries, driving controls.. the environment itself... (shrug). I just think a simulator should strive for accuracy in all things where possible.

No more than you are accusing me of being misogynist or sexist.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pookeyhead

You mean like having what appears to be a teenage black girl as a second man in Northern Trans Pennine, despite the fact that it's set in early 80s northern England? That would never have happened.. so why do it?

• Like Like x 3
  9. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I've seen female drivers or am I confusing with seeing then scaring me in the second man seat

10. andy.malcolm

Just because it is not your fantasy, doesn't mean it's not someone elses. I have read articles on gaming websites from people over the years crying out for representation in games.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-59035203

So let's all take a break and realise that while Britain had a huge problem with racism, sexism, homophobia etc, and to a lesser extent than in the past still does, that the idea of representing black people or women or any other type of person working on the railway isn't some silly leftist conspiracy, but is infact a reality. Wider representation currently exists in TSW, and it should ideally be retrofitted to TS. Being a very old game though, it may be a bit much to ask to backdate it to all the DLC though.

It's a bloody game.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  12. tommydee

tommydee Well-Known Member

I'd be careful introducing wider social and political views in a train simming forum. This seems a good way of getting a thread locked or deleted.

Put female drivers in if you want to, I can't see a problem with that

But if I was producing historical DLC I wouldn't bother, as for all practical purposes there weren't any.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Pookeyhead

It is NOW, yes.

At least SOMEONE sees the point I'm trying to make.

• Like Like x 3
  14. andy.malcolm

I do see your point, but I don't see why allowing people to have this representation would affect your experience of the game in any way. Given the way TS works, everyone would be free to substitute in a different version of the loco that had the driver they felt was most appropriate to the way they wanted to experience the simulation. Everyone goes home happy.

• Like Like x 3
  15. tommydee

I agree that it would be nice to have the ability to swap in/out/create driver figures as you wished (such as you can in many other games), then you could crew things in whatever way suits your simulation tastes. It would also give you the ability to remove the Portillo pink pants driver that crops up in some locos! However, as TS20XX is no longer being actively developed I cant see that happening.

For now your stuck with what's in the model, or you've got to do some quite complicated file modifications.

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Is this fact or just your personal opinion?

17. tommydee

Stop being contrary. You know full well that TS20XX is going nowhere in terms of feature development.

How much new functionality was added at the last annual update?

My point is made.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Pookeyhead

It wouldn't (unless I have no choice in the matter, like TSW, which DOES annoy me quite frankly). I just don't understand why people insist.. no... DEMAND realism in every other aspect... livery, sound, driving dynamics, time table accuracy in scenarios... but don't mind this one aspect of the game being totally unrealistic. I agree that modern traction should have everyone represented, but I just think the idea of a woman driver on a steam train in the 1950s, or BR period traction for example, utterly ridiculous. Is it fear that they will be deemed as sexist/racist if they don't embrace the idea or something? How does having a female driver in an unrealistic setting add anything to the sim? What exactly is it adding? Modern traction, of course... but can we please leave period correct stuff as period correct, or trying to be so in the first place becomes pointless.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

Given people's reactions to this tread (including mine - apologies), this sounds like a fantastic idea. It's sort of how it is already in the reflections you get in the cab window when in cab view currently for some trains, where you see just an empty chair and the back wall of the cab! Maybe no driver representations at all, and letting people develop the power of imagination will make everyone happy.

Here's a random picture I found online of a dog driving a loco. Just because.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2413944

PS: For clarity, the dog isn't driving it. The flea on his nose is.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  20. andy.malcolm

I've already explained what I think it adds several times. Just because it adds nothing for you, doesn't mean this is the case for everyone.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Pookeyhead

So how does this work Andy? So the in game menu will have a multitude of different versions depending upon driver? Great... so what about something that already has around 30 entries once you take into account livery variants... does each one of THOSE get a drive choice to? So..

class 158 (cummins) 3 car Northern Rail (Young Black Man)
    class 158 (cummins) 3 car Northern Rail (old Black Man)
    class 158 (cummins) 3 car Northern Rail (Young White Man)
    class 158 (cummins) 3 car Northern Rail (Old White Man)
    class 158 (cummins) 3 car Northern Rail (Young black woman)
    class 158 (cummins) 3 car Northern Rail (old black woman)
    class 158 (cummins) 3 car Northern Rail (young white woman)
    class 158 (cummins) 3 car Northern Rail (old white woman)

multiply that 30 times for every variant and yeah... isn't choice great? It takes long enough for this creaky old DX9 game to load menus as it is without this utter nonsense. You've really not thought this through.

The only other way would be it as a separate in game choice, but that cannot work because the choice of driver is set by whoever made the asset, not Dovetail. Or, as TSW does, forces a historically inaccurate scenario on me whether I like it or not... but I suppose I'm supposed to accept that, or be labelled as some kind of Daily Mail reading racist bigot I suppose?

Untenable, impractical, and frankly unnecessary.

• Like Like x 4
  22. andy.malcolm

You are the one who labelled me as "virtue signalling" way back up the top of the thread, I haven't once said anything about your character and won't do as I don't know you.

23. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

How does that work, dunkrez? Can the player chose the type of driver generally or is it limited to scenario builder?

24. dunkrez

I should be able to answer this mate, but I'm literally swimming in tamper enhancements at the moment! I haven't played with the 185 nearly as much as I should have but that's just down to keeping my nose to the grindstone. I'm pretty certain I've seen it with a female driver.

As for the politics, count me out entirely, I'm here for trains, trains and trains.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Pookeyhead

I was referring to something else entirely, when we were discussing the removal of things from history, the conversation has moved on to the matter of choice within the game. I wasn't even referring to you personally, and I apologise unreservedly if I gave that impression. That was not my intention, but you did imply I was thinking of you as "woke' when I was not really thinking anything about you at all.

• Like Like x 1
  26. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

There is a tendency these days to take today’s standards and then apply them to the past, hence the tearing down of statues etc.

What happened in the past was often awful, slavery for example. However, the likes of John Hawkins etc wouldn’t have even considered he was doing wrong as it was the behaviour of the day. I’m not condoning it by any means but our knowledge and morals have thankfully changed over the centuries. I don't believe he was evil but misinformed.

Even more recently, have a look at some comedy programmes from the seventies. There are plenty on YouTube and some are even shown today on Freeview Channels in the UK. They are rife with racism, sexism, homophobia etc. Today, we would be horrified. At the time though, people laughed at them. It’s not right by today’s standards but at the time, people didn’t know any better. Me included as I was around at the time.

So yes, we should remember the past and learn from it but not try to change it or wipe things from history.

• Like Like x 3
  27. dunkrez

I don't know mate, Spike Milligans' 70's UK tv show "Curry & Chips" probably deserves wiping from history. Not sure we can learn much from Spike on this occasion.

28. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

3dzug Güterwagen AI Verkrhrspack, is all female drivers.

29. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

You don't even need to go back that far - there's a lot of humour in the likes of Friends which would cause a stir these days.

30. MxBrindle

MxBrindle New Member

Good lord, I didn't expect so many replies so quickly! (Nor so many overnight; I am in California, but I get the vibe a lot of you are in the UK? :P)

Dunkrez and Kim Olesen: Thank you for the recommendations! I will check these out.

Pookeyhead: With respect, I am not really concerned with whether female train drivers are realistic, and I think the debate about historical realism is a bit off-topic. In the end this is a videogame that I am playing for my own enjoyment, so it suffices to say that I find the male driver models a distraction from the type of realism that I am interested in (namely, the experience of driving a train). My hope is simply to remove that distraction in my own install of the game.

So: since it seems that modding or messing with files is the way forward here, does anyone know where the driver model files are located on a Windows install of Train Simulator? And perhaps also the passenger files? It occurs to me that it might be possible to switch the driver model with one of the female passengers (their fashion sense is not my style, but beggars can't be choosers)... or perhaps some issue of rigging or animation would preclude that (really not an expert here).

I love this!!! If any developers are reading, I would accept a dog driver model if female drivers are not possible. You have 72 hours before I start executing my passengers.

• Like Like x 8
  31. dunkrez

I'm tempted to make a dog driver just for the sake of this thread... I did the ship from Flight of The Navigator (). Pretty sure a dog driver would take me 15 mins to sort out :)

• Like Like x 3
  32. JaneyBananey

JaneyBananey Member

I haven't much to add that you have not said yourself already, but I wanna say that I fully support you and what you're saying. Right on!

• Like Like x 3
  33. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Welcome to woke culture!
    (I am vividly observing the destruction of historical accuracy in medieval / Roman / fantasy themed settings.)

On a serious note, I randomly come across female drivers, I recall a Southern Pacific video with a female engineer.
    Some of you might remember one of the early Knight Rider episodes from 1982 or so about a female trucker, too.

• Like Like x 1
  34. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Hey everyone, thought it might be worth interjecting in here. First off there's no need to be calling each other names or being unpleasant for simply wanting to see some female characters in the game, I don't believe anyone is asking for history to be rewritten. From what the OP has said I can understand the request for this feature.

This subject has however brought up an interesting discussion. Which is fundamentally asking, are you playing a game or a simulator?

That answer entirely depends on the person who is controlling the train. Some of our players enjoy everything to be as accurate as possible, and would like an authentic simulator which includes accurate representation of drivers for the time period.

Other users simply enjoy playing a game, and would appreciate more availability/customisation for female drivers, regardless of the time period.

Neither answer is wrong, and you are all entitled to enjoy playing however you like.

If the OP is asking for a mod, and succeeds in finding one, those of you who don't want to see female drivers will have no change occur to how you play.

• Like Like x 7
  35. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Now that's awesome. FotN was one of my fave movies as a kid.

• Like Like x 1
  36. dunkrez

Yeah, one of my childhood favourites too... it's pretty rapid flying it over the WCML. I thought about doing the Back To The Future 3 loco at some point too, but it's a lot of work for the 4 people that might download it.

37. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

Your public awaits!

dogdriver.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  38. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

I'm 55 and I'm not horrified. I fondly remember Battery Sergeant Major Williams strongly berating "Mr. La-de-Da Gunner Graham" etc.

• Like Like x 1
  39. dunkrez

Hold onto your hats, incoming...

doggo1.jpg

doggo2.jpg

doggo3.jpg

Now there's something you don't see every day.

• Like Like x 6
  40. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

Every... train... now!

The slightly askew hard hat is genius, btw.

• Like Like x 2
  41. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

Outstanding work! :D:D

• Like Like x 1
  42. MxBrindle

MxBrindle New Member

omg, are these photoshopped or did you literally make a mod for this? if the latter, I require the files. v cool Flight of the Navigator insert too (that film scared the absolute s*** out of me as a kid)!

Thank you for this post, Natster – indeed, I am not trying to affect anyone else's game here, and only looking to modify my own. Actually, I was surprised when the topic of history came up because I have been only playing modern-day scenarios so far, and it had not occurred to me that there was any question of historical accuracy. Maybe I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I suppose from my perspective, when I play Train Simulator I am imagining myself, the actual me, in a parallel universe where I work as a train driver, or where I have retrained as one. Since I am not a man, it is jarring to play as one, just as I imagine it might be jarring to have a white avatar were I not white. Probably if my avatar was a character, some wisecracking Nathan Drake type running over rival treasure hunters in a DMU, I would accept that I am clearly not playing myself, but that does not seem to be in the spirit of this simulation.

There is, incidentally, a great little interactive novel called Choice of Broadsides which solves the problem of female protagonists in a historical setting in a rather elegant way, albeit not one that would work for every game. It's set in a fictionalised version of the Napoleonic Wars, where highly restricted gender roles and single-sex crews are an important aspect of the fantasy. Hence, if the player chooses a female character, the game simply inverts things and has ships be crewed entirely by women, with men waiting haplessly at home for their brave wives to return, or for some lady of means to offer them her hand in marriage. As the protagonist puts it: "I'm a young lady. The idea of gentlemen going to sea and being exposed to the horrors of combat – it's frankly revolting."

• Like Like x 4
  43. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

My understanding is... if the game was designed with this in mind, then the driver would simply have a position, some markers, and you could choose a driver model to fit in. (Many trains have two - not to go into the details of manned distributed power.)
    There would have to be a specific setting / file / placeholder for a driver model, and you'd have to set it up, then voila.
    The devil is in the details, for drivers have different clothing and posture in different services.
    But it's something the core game would have to do, resolve it once.

44. dunkrez

It's a genuine 3d model of a doggo.

• Like Like x 1
  45. dunkrez

46. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Congratulations, I didn't think it possible but you managed to create something I'm not interested in. :D:D

• Like Like x 3
  47. dunkrez

There's a first time for everything mate! :D

• Like Like x 1
  48. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Better be the bloody last too... :mad::D:D

• Like Like x 3
  49. tommydee

Your skills are needed to produce a decent Class 47. Until you've done all your jobs you shouldn't be going out to play.

• Like Like x 3
  50. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Well here I am I guess to offer that little tutorial, which is pretty simple. It all comes down the bin file of the locomotive, and if you've ever had any experience modding, you should know where that is, but if not, I'll give an example using the TRS P42 (Amtrak has a lot of female crews so...) It'll be here: RailWorks\Assets\RSC\P42Pack01\RailVehicles\Diesel\P42DC\TRS_PhV\Locomotive\GX_P42_Amtk.bin
    Now depending on how you open it (be it with TS Tools or the serz/xml method, you'll find a section near the bottom under "Children". This refers to child objects, mini models which attach to the main one. The driver can sometimes be the first on the list too. On the TRS P42 it doesn't exist due to TruRail always making their content ND, but we can add it by copying in from the stock one.
    Screenshot (2594).png Screenshot (2595).png Screenshot (2596).png

Make sure to keep the layout uniform with the other child objects, so it should all look the same, if you catch my drift.
    <cEntityContainerBlueprint-sChild d:id="12657">
    <ChildName d:type="cDeltaString">Engineer</ChildName>
    <BlueprintID>
    <iBlueprintLibrary-cAbsoluteBlueprintID>
    <BlueprintSetID>
    <iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
    <Provider d:type="cDeltaString">RSC</Provider>
    <Product d:type="cDeltaString">P42Pack01</Product>
    </iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
    </BlueprintSetID>
    <BlueprintID d:type="cDeltaString">Scenery\Characters\GX_Engineer01.xml</BlueprintID>
    </iBlueprintLibrary-cAbsoluteBlueprintID>
    </BlueprintID>
    <Matrix>
    <cHcRMatrix4x4>
    <Element>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000203EB0EFBF" d:precision="string">-0.990264</e>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000000000000000" d:precision="string">0</e>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000006067D1C13F" d:precision="string">0.139203</e>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000000000000000" d:precision="string">0</e>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000000000F03F" d:precision="string">1</e>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000006067D1C1BF" d:precision="string">-0.139203</e>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000203EB0EFBF" d:precision="string">-0.990264</e>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000E09873E83F" d:precision="string">0.764111</e>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000C026120240" d:precision="string">2.25886</e>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000008ACA2040" d:precision="string">8.39558</e>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000000000F03F" d:precision="string">1</e>
    </Element>
    </cHcRMatrix4x4>
    </Matrix>
    <ParentNodeName d:type="cDeltaString"></ParentNodeName>
    </cEntityContainerBlueprint-sChild>
    <cEntityContainerBlueprint-sChild d:id="12683">
    <ChildName d:type="cDeltaString">Conductor</ChildName>
    <BlueprintID>
    <iBlueprintLibrary-cAbsoluteBlueprintID>
    <BlueprintSetID>
    <iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
    <Provider d:type="cDeltaString">RSC</Provider>
    <Product d:type="cDeltaString">P42Pack01</Product>
    </iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
    </BlueprintSetID>
    <BlueprintID d:type="cDeltaString">Scenery\Characters\GX_Conductor01.xml</BlueprintID>
    </iBlueprintLibrary-cAbsoluteBlueprintID>
    </BlueprintID>
    <Matrix>
    <cHcRMatrix4x4>
    <Element>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000004064E6EFBF" d:precision="string">-0.996874</e>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000E0FF39B4BF" d:precision="string">-0.07901</e>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000E0FF39B43F" d:precision="string">0.07901</e>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="0000004064E6EFBF" d:precision="string">-0.996874</e>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000607FE7E9BF" d:precision="string">-0.809509</e>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000C02AC20140" d:precision="string">2.21981</e>
    <e d:type="sFloat32" d:alt_encoding="000000A066AC2040" d:precision="string">8.33672</e>
    </Element>
    </cHcRMatrix4x4>
    </Matrix>
    <ParentNodeName d:type="cDeltaString"></ParentNodeName>
    </cEntityContainerBlueprint-sChild>

(text version)
    Ok so now you have to find a suitable female model that's also seated, which might be difficult considering I don't know of many models in manual work attire. It's certainly possible to reskin one of them though. All you have to do then is replace the references of the old engineer and conductor with the new ones.
    Since it's basically early morning for me my mind is not quite in the specifics, but I did manage to reskin the Kuju woman, and it worked out nicely. I can follow up more once I've gotten some sleep and stuff lol.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2